Buddy storage questions

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Skippy

Buddy storage questions

Post by Skippy »

Hey guys, I need to put my new Buddy 125 on ice for a few months starting in early January and I don't know the best battery charger for the job. Some posts say not to use a trickle charger because they don't turn off, so I'm leaning towards a battery tender with a float mode. That being said, which size should I get for a 2012 125? Do I need to take the battery out to do this, or just hook it up while it's still in the scooter? Also, the dealer said not to use Stabil as a fuel additive, so any other suggestions? Thanks!
Robbie

Post by Robbie »

IMO and, this is what I do in Northern Il.......10 bikes.

Tank filled, fuel valve off,(your buddy has a automatic valve so you should only have to drain the carb...15 to 20cc of fuel to empty the carb) carburetor drained at float drain screw.....I see no need for Sta-Bil in a filled tank for three months.
Any battery charger, rated one amp or less, plugged into a light timer for one hour every twenty four.
You can leave the battery in the machine and connected......use the alligator clips of the charger over the post/cables.

Come spring I just turn on the fuel to refill the carb( or just crank your Buddy, the valve opens while cranking), disco the charger and re-install covers and air the tires which will be low.
About a thirty minute ride and I change the oil.....ready.....set....Spring!

Rob

Us 2t Stella riders aren't so lucky....no carb drain.....gotta run it till it quits/valve off.
Skippy

Post by Skippy »

Thanks, Robbie. It's probably more like 6 months (rotator cuff surgery), but will try what you suggest.
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

We've got a FAQ for that!

Most recommended is this Battery Tender Jr.

You don't have to take the battery out.
Skippy

Post by Skippy »

Perfect, thanks.
Robbie

Post by Robbie »

I have Battery tenders, including the Jr. go nuts on me and hypercook a battery over the winter....thats why the light timer, regardless of who makes the charger.

Rob

Good luck w/ the surgery.....you'll be riding sooner than you think!
skully93

Post by skully93 »

speedy recovery!
Skippy

Post by Skippy »

Thanks for the suggestions and good wishes. It sucks to buy my first scooter in November and stop riding in early January, but them's the breaks. Come summer, I'll be back on it!
Beamster

Post by Beamster »

You definitely want a fuel stabilizer if your gas has ethanol. That fuel can go bad in a very short time.

There is a version of Stabil that notes it's for ethanol fuels, but there are many others too. I always use Seafoam and have never had to manually clean a carb, and there are many seasonal vehicles and pieces of equipment in our garage.

Personally I do not drain the carb because drying fuel can leave varnish deposits.

For the naysayers, I bought a brand new leftover bike that sat on the dealers floor with untreated gas in the tank for about 9 months and the carbs were so messed up that the manufacturer replaced all three under warantee without argument.

We also have a "gang" Battery Tender (trade name) that maintains five bikes at a time. Batteries lose charge in time when not used regularly used and cold weather hastens that. If you don't want to shorted the ultimate life of your battery, keep it charged. Generally running at idle does not generate charging current, so resist the temptation to think that maintains the battery. That would also leave condensation in your muffler that will lead to premature rusting.

Also, it's a good idea to change the oil before laying up. Motor oil that has been exposed to combustion develops acidity. You want clean oil in there during layup.
Skippy

Post by Skippy »

Beamster, great advice, thanks. The dealer said not to use Stabil and mentioned something about Ethanol, so that must be the connection. I bought a Battery Tender Jr. today. Since the scooter is brand new and has only 80 miles on it as of today, it hasn't even had its first oil change yet (recommended at 200 miles). I was planning on having that done when I started riding again next summer when I was going to take it in for its first maintenance, but now I'm not so sure what to do given your advice.
Robbie

Post by Robbie »

Beamster,

Your thoughts on carburetor draining have confused me.
I drain the carburetor of fuel using the bowl drain screw.......what fuel remains to evaporate?

Or, do you think I meant to run it out of fuel......this proceedure does leave fuel in the bowl as it only drops to the point that the pickup in the bowl is exposed.
I never recommend running till it dies because this does indeed almost gaurantee a fouled carb in the beginning of the riding season.

Rob