Buddy 125 -- Lost Keys, No Spare, No Dealership

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

virgincollege

Buddy 125 -- Lost Keys, No Spare, No Dealership

Post by virgincollege »

So yes, I legitimately lost my keys. I bought my 2009 Orange Buddy 125 this past March for $950 dollars with only 450 miles on it. Sunshine was my absolute best friend for 7 months and put over 1750 miles on her (college student)...and then I got black-out drunk one night at a party and lost my keys.
I bought her from a pawn shop; thus, I do have the title...but no spare key or any dealership that has ties to it in my area. The keys are absolutely no where to be found. This actually happened over a month ago, and I'm just now trying to resolve the issue over the wintertime when I can't use her.

If you think I'm some thief, I have a thread in here I posted a while back when I bought her. So, on the assumption you're accepting my story as true, what the HECK do you think I should do moving forward?

No keys, no spare, wasn't purchased from a dealership...I do have the title...that's about it. Thanks guys!

I'm from central VA by the way.
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

First, try to obtain key blanks:

http://www.scooterworks.com/key-blank-- ... s-6461.php

I realize that it currently lists as out-of-stock; perhaps contact ScooterWorks and see when they will restock.

The site says that you will need a full lock cylinder; I believe that you can get a key made by a competent locksmith, provided that you obtain the proper blank(s) and are able to provide documentation of ownership, ie. the title.

I'm not overly versed in the nuances of the Buddy; but I've had Honda keys replicated in the past when purchased bikes came without keys. The locksmith was able to get the proper key code from the lock cylinder and cut the appropriate key. I strongly suggest getting more than one key made for the bike to prevent this issue in the future.

On my new Kymco; it came with two keys and a small coded tag on the ring. The spare key and tag are locked up for safekeeping and I'll probably order a spare key or two as a precaution.

Finally, if you can't get blanks from ScooterWorks in a timely manner, you could try Scoot Richmond and see if they can help; they're probably your closest major dealer.
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
TVB

Post by TVB »

If you have proof of legit ownership, I'd start by contacting the closest Genuine-authorized dealer and ask if they can help you get a replacement key from Genuine.
skully93

Post by skully93 »

if you're stuck, I know our local dealers (SportiqueScooters) can get them. unfortunately they are closed until next week for a holiday break.

Your thread reminds me, I need to get spares for my Kymco!
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

Found a somewhat relevant series of threads:

topic13265.html

The links in each thread tie back to an earlier thread with additional info.

Also, I found key blanks on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PGO-SCOOTER-Key ... 0994306183
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
My Buddy125

Post by My Buddy125 »

I just looked up a new ignition switch asy and it is $84.50. You could just buy a new switch. Next option is to remove the old switch asy and take it to a locksmith and have a key made if posible. In my area there are motorcycle shops that will do this. Almost all locks can be taken apart and decoded to make a new key. You may still have to get a key blank if your locksmith can't find a match. Good luck.
Syd

Post by Syd »

I don't know if this is possible with the Buddy, but several years (ok, decades) ago I watched a locksmith make a new key with nothing more than a key blank and a rat tail file. He'd wiggle the key in the lock, remove and inspect it, file key blank away and repeat. Took about 15 minutes maybe. If you can't locate the cut code, maybe you can find an old locksmith in your area; one who still has this skillset.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
DanielPerrin

Post by DanielPerrin »

Syd wrote:... maybe you can find an old locksmith in your area; one who still has this skillset.
I wanted to get some duplicates for my scooter, and it was an OLD locksmith who did it. I had to deal with a less-experienced locksmith who wasn't interested in putting in the time, and even Ace Hardware screwing up making a duplicate of a key with their machine. The OLD locksmith had the skills, and was willing to put in the time. That is the kind of locksmith that you are looking for. They are out there, but you might have to deal with some less-helpful locksmiths before you find the locksmith that you need.
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
Skippy

Lost Keys

Post by Skippy »

If you were black-out drunk, are you sure you lost the keys, and someone didn't just take them away so you wouldn't drive home? Maybe someone at the party knows where they are. Maybe it's good you didn't have them with you after all. May have saved your or someone else's life.
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

Pop the seat first and make sure they are not locked in the trunk. Sounds stupid but its worth a try.