4T 200 cutdown project.

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Tipper

4T 200 cutdown project.

Post by Tipper »

A month ago an old lady pulled out in front of me and gave me my first flying lesson :lol:

She also did this to my scoot,

The scoot was a 'Cat C' write off which means it can go back on the road so I bought it back from the insurance company and I plan on cutting it down.

The rear bodywork section was pretty easy to remove once we figured out where all the bolts were.

The leg shields were pretty easy to hammer back into shape, just need to decide how I am going to cut it down now.

My mate badger with the essential tools,

With the tank and the seat removed the riding position is nice and low, I am thinking of cutting the leg shields back to the horn cast down to where the floor runner rivet on and then leaving the running boards full width kinda like this old lammy.

Im going to remove the big air box,fit a foam filter and move the battery under the seat. I will also have to fit a center tank as the normal tank wont mount in the same position with the read body work removed.

Will post plenty of pics as the process progresses :D
Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

That sucks! :cry: Hope your all right and nothing banged up to bad....
quen047

Post by quen047 »

Glad you lived to joke about your experience, and looking forward to seeing your cutdown evolve (and feeling a tad envious of the extra 50cc you Brits get).
magnato1

Post by magnato1 »

Tipper,

Sorry to hear about the accident. It's damn shame, but I am glad you're ok.

This is a little off topic, but I couldn't help but notice that you have the Heidenau K47 on Boy Blue. Have you ridden the K61 as well? How do they compare? I've heard great things about the K61, but little about the K47.

Thanks, and good luck with the cutdown.
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

Ouch! At least your bike wasn't written off.

Thank you for sharing the photos of the tail section removed. It's interesting to look under the skin and see how much space there is. Take least the tube frame will let you play with the rear sheet metal without compromising structural integrity.

Badger needs a bigger hammer. :lol:
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
Tipper

Post by Tipper »

magnato1 wrote:Tipper,

This is a little off topic, but I couldn't help but notice that you have the Heidenau K47 on Boy Blue. Have you ridden the K61 as well? How do they compare? I've heard great things about the K61, but little about the K47.

I am a full Heidenau convert !

I used to run the k58's in the winter and then switch to K61's in the summer. The k58's are unbeatable in the wet but wear out quickly on dry roads where as the k61's are great in the dry but felt a little bit twitchy in heavy rain.

I have found that the k47's are a happy medium between the two and a great all round tyre. I would recommend them to anyone.

I managed to escape the accident with fairly minor injuries.Lower back was bruised where I landed and I somehow managed to cut a pretty deep hole in my shin which had to be glued together.

I have bought myself this beauty with the insurance money.

Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

Awsome new scoot. Love it!!!!
Tipper

Post by Tipper »

Drum Pro wrote:Awsome new scoot. Love it!!!!

I wanted to order one of the special edition 'Mat series' bikes (http://www.lmlitalia.com/moduli/scooter ... dlinea=245)

But the UK importer cant get a reliable supply of them from Italy so they have given up trying to import them.

I spoke to a dealer in the UK called Piccolo Moto and they offered to strip a standard black scooter down,send it off to a paint shop,get it sprayed satin black and then put it all back together and deliver it to my door. All for the same price as the special edition scoot.

Amazing customer service.

The brown seat will be the first thing to go !
Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

@Tipper: I'm a bit envious as the U.K. and the rest of Europe get all the good scoots first. In thhe U.S., we have to wait a couple of years and that's *IF* the models get imported. Don't miss the U.K. weather much tho as I spent most of my time in Lancashire when I was there....
VinylDoctor

Post by VinylDoctor »

poor stella. shows how tuff they are thou.
a cheaper chinese scooter would be garbage now.
skully93

Post by skully93 »

ow!

Glad you're doing well though! heck of a hit!

The black looks gorgeous, I would totally get one. Looking forward to the cut down project.
magnato1

Post by magnato1 »

Tipper wrote:
magnato1 wrote:Tipper,

I am a full Heidenau convert !

I used to run the k58's in the winter and then switch to K61's in the summer. The k58's are unbeatable in the wet but wear out quickly on dry roads where as the k61's are great in the dry but felt a little bit twitchy in heavy rain.

I have found that the k47's are a happy medium between the two and a great all round tyre. I would recommend them to anyone.

I managed to escape the accident with fairly minor injuries.Lower back was bruised where I landed and I somehow managed to cut a pretty deep hole in my shin which had to be glued together.

I have bought myself this beauty with the insurance money.

Tipper,

Thanks for the info! I was hoping you'd say that the K47 is a nice blend of the two. I don't see too much rain, but since the Stella is my only means of transportation (aside from my feet), I want an all around performing tire. The tread pattern looked just right, and you've confirmed the quality. Thanks again.

Also, you're new Star is sexual. Lock it up, people will want to steal it, seriously. Congrats!
Tipper

Post by Tipper »

Here are some pics of inside the rear sub frame.

The big plastic thing in the middle is the air box,

Here you can see the rear mudguard is bolted on to the air box.

magnato1

Post by magnato1 »

What's the thing with all of the tubes coming out of it in front of the air box?
Tipper

Post by Tipper »

magnato1 wrote:What's the thing with all of the tubes coming out of it in front of the air box?
I think it's the 'secondary air system' fitted so the scooter will pass what is most commonly known as 'European emissions bollocks'.

When the throttle is closed the EGR valve opens and air is sucked into the engine to mix with the exhaust gases effectively watering them down.
Robbie

Post by Robbie »

Tipper wrote:
magnato1 wrote:What's the thing with all of the tubes coming out of it in front of the air box?
I think it's the 'secondary air system' fitted so the scooter will pass what is most commonly known as 'European emissions bollocks'.

When the throttle is closed the EGR valve opens and air is sucked into the engine to mix with the exhaust gases effectively watering them down.
Correct, sort of.
Secondary air system is there to provide air into the exaust.
This causes any unburned fuel to burn in the exaust system.
If you ever have the opportunity to run a 4T engine with the exaust removed at the head you will see a flame with every exaust valve opening.
Because there is no exaust pipe, the surrounding air keeps the fire burning if there is any unburned fuel being exausted.
Once the exaust is installed, there is no source of oxygen so the unburned fuel continues through the exaust and is expelled......but by then it has cooled so much no burning can occur.

Sometimes a lower restriction exaust will retain enouph heat to cause a phenominum called afterfire.
This is the popping that occurs on deceleration and many call it (incorrectly) a backfire.

Anyways, a secondary air system causes no loss in performance beyond the weight of the valves and hoses and whatnot.

It is also known as Pulseair.......regardless of the name, each system uses the negative pulse between exaust events to pull fresh air through the system into the exaust.
The S.A.S. valve closes the moment the exaust pressurizes otherwise exaust would be pushed into the airbox.

Tipper, the new machine looks fabulous and the best news is you were not hurt too much.
I too am bummed the 200 hasn't made it to this side of the pond.......yet.

Rob
JohnKiniston

Post by JohnKiniston »

Woah Tipper.

And I thought my 4T was banged up!

Glad you're OK.
VinylDoctor

Post by VinylDoctor »

fix her up and leave her body off.
name her Godiva, she that is naked and runs all over the place with her wires flapping in the wind.
Tipper

Post by Tipper »

Robbie wrote:
Tipper wrote:

Correct, sort of.
Secondary air system is there to provide air into the exaust.
This causes any unburned fuel to burn in the exaust system.
If you ever have the opportunity to run a 4T engine with the exaust removed at the head you will see a flame with every exaust valve opening.
Because there is no exaust pipe, the surrounding air keeps the fire burning if there is any unburned fuel being exausted.
Once the exaust is installed, there is no source of oxygen so the unburned fuel continues through the exaust and is expelled......but by then it has cooled so much no burning can occur.

Sometimes a lower restriction exaust will retain enouph heat to cause a phenominum called afterfire.
This is the popping that occurs on deceleration and many call it (incorrectly) a backfire.

Anyways, a secondary air system causes no loss in performance beyond the weight of the valves and hoses and whatnot.

It is also known as Pulseair.......regardless of the name, each system uses the negative pulse between exaust events to pull fresh air through the system into the exaust.
The S.A.S. valve closes the moment the exaust pressurizes otherwise exaust would be pushed into the airbox.

Tipper, the new machine looks fabulous and the best news is you were not hurt too much.
I too am bummed the 200 hasn't made it to this side of the pond.......yet.

Rob
Thanks for the explanation Rob. So would you say there are no benefits in removing this system ?
Robbie

Post by Robbie »

Tipper,

I cannot see any benefit beyond a tiny bit of weight reduction......this system only provides a means to clean up the exaust after it exits the engine and has no effect on power or driveability.
The system also helps the catalyst 'light off' or begin the conversion process sooner after startup and this makes the pollution police happier.

On another note, I do ghost your LML UK forum and recommend it to all....rather interesting crowd at your side of the pond......I get good info and a LOT of laughs.

Happy New Year,
Rob
Tipper

Post by Tipper »

You should sign up Rob,we can always do with more people who know what they are talking about.
Tipper

Post by Tipper »

I like the look of this, could it be done without looking too crap probably not cut totally square to avoid sharp edges.

Or square,

Or more curvey ?

Maybe I will start with the widest and work my way down :)
magnato1

Post by magnato1 »

I like the curvy option, minus the chrome rims.