Ever Get A Speeding Ticket On Scoot Or MC?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

What was the situation, how fast were you going, and did you do it again and again and again? Get a speeding ticket, that is? How many do you have?
Riding is riding
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

I know one or two here have, I have not.
When I ride with my son on his sport bike he'll kinda remind me, "come on Dad, watch it here in town you're gonna get me a ticket, they won't pull over the 'Old Guy' on a scooter, they'll pull me over for following you........"
Aging is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My kids call me 'crazy', I prefer 'Eccentric'.
Nullius in verba
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

I was nailed once by a photo radar van while doing 46 in a 30. I normally wouldn't be running that fast, but I was about a half-hour late for a meeting on the other end of town. Worst part was that in my hurry to get to the meeting, I left my helmet and gear. So, the city had a pretty clear picture of me and my Ghostbusters shirt, as well as my license plate. Don't plan on that doing that bit again; it was a bit expensive!
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

KABarash wrote:I know one or two here have, I have not.
When I ride with my son on his sport bike he'll kinda remind me, "come on Dad, watch it here in town you're gonna get me a ticket, they won't pull over the 'Old Guy' on a scooter, they'll pull me over for following you........"
Haha! Next time you go riding, address your son by saying "C'mon decoy, let's ride!" :lol:
Last edited by az_slynch on Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Stormswift

Post by Stormswift »

Not personally but someone here in Baltimore posted picture of himself MVA sent him with a ticket. We got speed cameras all over town and some were recently found to be malfunctioning. I am sure hearing that made everyone's day
I am not a scooter snob.
I am a scooter connoisseur
My Buddy125

Post by My Buddy125 »

Back in my teenager years I had 2 speeding tickets and 1 for no drivers license. The first ticket was for no license. My next ticket was for going 105mph in a 45 zone out in the country. Next speeding ticket was in town going 50 in a 35 zone. I almost lost my license as all this was within less than a years time. My bike at that time was a 1974 Yamaha RD350 stock. This was one fun bike.
DanielPerrin

Post by DanielPerrin »

My tickets were on a Honda CB750. I got a ticket for going 69 in a 55. The same Massachusetts trooper gave me a ticket at the same time for improper lane change; he felt that I was too quick in coming up behind a car that was in the left lane, passing on the right, and switching lanes back to riding in front of the car.

Good news! I did one of those "give me all of your information" requests for the state police notes, etc. The state police didn't respond, so I asked the state attorney general (district attorney, ???) to find out why the state police wouldn't comply with my request. The state attorney general actually sent a nice note to the state police, and the state police ignored the state attorney general also. I had gotten one continuance while I was trying to get the information from the state police. When the trial date actually came, no one from the state police showed up to defend the case, and it was thrown out.

That is my only ticket on a motorcycle/scooter. Good luck to the rest of you!
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
ravenlore

Post by ravenlore »

Not yet, but i've not had the big bike a year yet ;-)
fossel

Post by fossel »

Ive should of gotten a few ,but when they see an old guy on a scooter they seem to pass on a ticket
Syd

Post by Syd »

A friend at work told me this story.

He picked up the brand new Ducati 1098S that he had ordered, and as he rode back, he came barreling down the s-shaped road to work. The road is posted at 35; I think it's best at 50 or so, but this guy likes to go *fast*, so I can only imagine how fast he was going. Well, he got caught by a roadside speed-camera van. A little bummed, he went back to his cube where he found a message on his work phone.

It was from the dealer, apologizing to him that they forgot to attach the temporary license to his bike!
The majority is always sane - Nessus
SYMbionic Duo

Post by SYMbionic Duo »

73 in a 55 on my Citycom. Wasn't paying attention (lack of sleep and not enough caffeine).
When Cop was writing up the ticket, he's like, "I didn't know that these [scooters] could go that fast" And I was like, "they don't! your radar must be malfunctioning!" and he was like "Nice try" :lol:
Nothing is Foolproof to a sufficiently talented Fool.
Wiggins

Post by Wiggins »

I have never had one. The only one I have written for a scooter was to a guy who got tired of waiting for a red light to change and rode his scoot up onto a sidewalk to execute a right turn. When I stopped him his ride's tabs expired nearly a decade ago, and he had no license due to multiple tickets and a DUI. He claimed not to know that he needed all these things for a scooter, and that he could not ride on the sidewalk.

I arrested him for not having a license. Unfortunately under our policy this was basically a ticket with a court date (no jail), and I could not impound the bike. So the stereotype of the unlicensed rider on a 50cc scooter lives on!

Kyle
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

^ enemy in our midst....ENEMY IN OUR MIDST!!! :helmet:

:wha:
Riding is riding
Stormswift

Post by Stormswift »

fossel wrote:Ive should of gotten a few ,but when they see an old guy on a scooter they seem to pass on a ticket
Our bunch is 50's+ but I guess speed cameras don't care
I am not a scooter snob.
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

Stormswift wrote:
fossel wrote:Ive should of gotten a few ,but when they see an old guy on a scooter they seem to pass on a ticket
Yeah, speed cameras don't/won't care, but here's a thought; Would they even be triggered? With the issue some on scoots have with traffic lights maybe the censor doesn't sense them.
Aging is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My kids call me 'crazy', I prefer 'Eccentric'.
Nullius in verba
Stormswift

Post by Stormswift »

KABarash wrote:
Stormswift wrote:
Yeah, speed cameras don't/won't care, but here's a thought; Would they even be triggered? With the issue some on scoots have with traffic lights maybe the censor doesn't sense them.
M. has Stella. The camera saw him just fine. And the ticket was the same amount as a car They sent him a very nice souvenir : pic of him on Stella from the back :cry: $70.00+ for a pic is a bit excessive, I think.
I am not a scooter snob.
fossel

Post by fossel »

I dont think we have alot of speed cameras here ,but a hyway patrolman using a hand held radar gun ,just let me off doing 50+ in a 35 zone .I thought for sure I was getting a ticket.I think we just look slow because were on our scooters
vantage

Post by vantage »

I got a ticket for speeding on a Puch motocycle with 48cc engine once. The cop said he clocked me at 45 miles per hour in a 35 zone.

The bike could only go about 32 max with a freshly chiseled clean muffler baffle, and new spark plug and perfect fuel mix. I was working on the bike and took it out for a spin, had no tag, lights as the battery pack was being repaired etc. I was also on the sidewalk at the time.

I did not want to push the issue was I was afraid the other violations might be greater than a speeding ticket.
david12df

Post by david12df »

no tickets,alot of light flashing behind me running yellow -red lights
chicago, google photo blocker
Lokky

Post by Lokky »

On the way from Virginia to Wisconsin to attend amerivespa I have actually been pulled over for speeding.

Mind you, I had ridden some 900 miles by this point and I was only 20 miles away. Had a headwind the whole time too, which was finally gone, and I was doing ~70mph coming down a hill. Suddenly the speed limit dropped to 45 and sure enough there was a cop waiting there.

He says that since I kinda slalomed through a bunch of cars he couldn't get a lock on my speed and couldn't write me a ticket, but I like to think that the fact that I was covered in gear from head to toe and the road was full with cruisers and not a single rider with so much as a helmet worked in my favor :D
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

Got one for speeding in a school zone one morning. Didn't see the flashing sign and received an automatic court date for it. I wasn't going all that fast, mind you, but the cop nailed me for the zone more than anything else. Such is life! I moved on....
Robert Wayne Henderson (May 16, 1932 - July 28, 2009).
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

JHScoot wrote:^ enemy in our midst....ENEMY IN OUR MIDST!!! :helmet:

Yeah, not so much. I'm more of the mindset that the Multi-DUI unregistered and uninsured "liquor-cycle" rider is the enemy. Those are the ones that give scooters the worst possible representation.
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

Lostmycage wrote:

Yeah, not so much. I'm more of the mindset that the Multi-DUI unregistered and uninsured "liquor-cycle" rider is the enemy. Those are the ones that give scooters the worst possible representation.
This! I have no love for the "liquor cycle" crew. I know a few in town and I keep hoping they get caught; one of 'em is dumb enough to ride plate less in the bicycle lanes! :roll:

Rusty Shackleford

Post by Rusty Shackleford »

+1. My lady gets into the throttle on her Buddy 125 like it's a motorcycle. I'm behind her on my CBR while she's doing 50mph in a 35mph zone. Then when we stop she has the nerve to ask why I didn't keep up and ride in formation with her. I'm like "You can get away with that. Police aren't watching for those speed-demon-scooterists, but I'm on a sport bike for cryin' out loud!"
C'mon, sko sko sko!
Lokky

Post by Lokky »

Rusty Shackleford wrote:
+1. My lady gets into the throttle on her Buddy 125 like it's a motorcycle. I'm behind her on my CBR while she's doing 50mph in a 35mph zone. Then when we stop she has the nerve to ask why I didn't keep up and ride in formation with her. I'm like "You can get away with that. Police aren't watching for those speed-demon-scooterists, but I'm on a sport bike for cryin' out loud!"

Haha I know the feeling, I regularly break the speed limit on my Stella (no speedometer anyway lol) but on the buell I stick to it religiously.
BootScootin'FireFighter

Post by BootScootin'FireFighter »

About a year ago, had a motor cop standing on the shoulder running radar just on the edge of the city limits. The speed goes from 25 in the city to 40 just over the line where the roadway becomes a parkway under national parks jurisdiction. He waved me over, then proceeded to ream me a new one about how I shouldn't be riding "that damn moped" on the highway and how I was a hazard on the road. Idiot, I suppose the soccer moms flying by at 65 on the cellphone aren't any hazard at all. I was clocked at 39, but was about 100 feet from the speed increase, and I'm very careful about my speed in the city. He let me off with another long reprimand about what a menace to society I was.
DanielPerrin

Post by DanielPerrin »

az_slynch wrote:
Lostmycage wrote:

This! I have no love for the "liquor cycle" crew. I know a few in town and I keep hoping they get caught; one of 'em is dumb enough to ride plate less in the bicycle lanes! :roll:
Getting caught would be the easy way out, especially if they are wearing shorts, flip flops and no helmet in a state where it's not required (like Oklahoma). Caught is better than losing your nose/front teeth/chin, or even the traumatic brain injury and/or long-term vegetative state.

The "liquor cycle" crew definitely gives scooters a horrible representation. Hopefully they rush to "caught" or "not smart enough to ride safely", or just get bored and go off to give some other group a bad repsentation.
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

I see a lot of the 'likker' crowd riding in Greeville, SC and Asheville, NC when I drive up to see my sons. I have also seen 3 on a Harley in
Greenville, no helmets, shorts, T shirts, floppies, the works. No helmet
law in SC. A lot of 50cc scoots in both towns.
I have never been stopped when riding fortunately.
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

30mph in a 15mph zone. $125... still pisses me off.

topic13959.html

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
Syd

Post by Syd »

^^Whatever did happen with that ticket, Skootz? Did you beat it, or are you just avoiding the parks in the LA area? :wink:
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

So, I was going through my old PC and found the photo prize I'd gotten for my flagrant speeding. Figured I'd share. I still think the speed was off a bit, as I was changing lanes to avoid plowing into the tailgate of the Nissan pickup that I had been following, but I will freely admit that I wasn't sparing any of those 11.75 horses that live under the cowls. :lol:

So there you go; it happened. :rofl:
Attachments
Er, oops!
Er, oops!
Full Frame.JPG (56.72 KiB) Viewed 1972 times

Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

Syd wrote:^^Whatever did happen with that ticket, Skootz? Did you beat it, or are you just avoiding the parks in the LA area? :wink:
There is such a convoluted method of fighting these tickets, which of course involves you paying the full fine up front then later having to travel 2 hours away (one way) to the court, which is not a regular municipal court but a private court as these are not municipal tickets but as it turns out private tickets, that I just said F'it and paid it.

Since then all the cameras etc the park uses have been banned and deemed illegal as they were in Beverly Hills and the rest of LA. The park is also now required to clearly state that their tickets in no way affect your driving record. Gee, it might have been nice to know that before!

Anyway, I have ridden through the park a couple of times since then but it still riles me so badly that the ride is not as much fun as it used to be. Pffft. Clearly I need counseling or anger management or a beer or something :roll:

Syd

Post by Syd »

Get the beer, they work better!
iMoses

Post by iMoses »

Back in March of 2011, just fresh from getting separated (now divorced) I was riding to work one morning. The thoughts going through my head were mainly blaming myself for the separation and wishing I had done EVERYTHING different.

I was caught running three stop signs and going 41 in a 25 zone. DOH!!
Fargo Rollin

Post by Fargo Rollin »

This past summer a trio of motorcycle cops were waiting for speeders on a main vein in the morning rush hours. I've always been under the impression the small stretch of road I was on was a 30mph limit as everyone cruises at 35 on it. As luck would have it one of the MC cops pulls off his side road and stops next to me at the light, "When the light goes green pull into that parking lot"

Turns out it's a 25mph road and I was clocked at 36, an $11 ticket. And he was a decent enough guy so I can live with it.
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

Fargo Rollin wrote:... Turns out it's a 25mph road and I was clocked at 36, an $11 ticket...
$11??? Man, in LA it would be at least $100! You have it good!