Stella Topcase Options

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

quen047

Stella Topcase Options

Post by quen047 »

Hi All,

For the last couple months I've been rocking a milkcrate attached to a folding Prima rear rack via a wood/longbolt/wingnut attachment that I learned from a poster on the Buddy forum. I like the look, but I kind of want something that I can lock (preferably big enough to hold a full face helmet) that still looks appropriately vintage-ish. Rollbags are not an option sadly as it would be stolen in a heartbeat here in SF unless I carried it everywhere with me which defeats my intended purpose. I saw this rather expensive metal case made by Aprilia that I like, but I have no clue how it would attach to a Stella.

http://www.af1racing.com/store/scripts/ ... oduct=3550

Any other ideas?
Last edited by quen047 on Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
magnato1

Post by magnato1 »

Cool topcase, seems like a nice option for the Stella and still looks kind of vintage. You should keep your eyes out for a Vespa BBQ rack. Those are hard to come by though, the other option is this: http://www.scooterworks.com/rear-rack-- ... age_id=253

Supposedly it is only for 2T Stella, but I am pretty sure that people have mounted them on their 4T. I can't remember which thread I saw that in tho.
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

Find a locking tool box that you like, drill apprpriate holes in it to use U bolts to attach it to the carrier, paint it with aluminum paint and you will
have the same sort of top truck at a fraction of the priceof the unit that
you are looking at. That one is way overpriced for what you are getting,
IMHO. :roll:
quen047

Post by quen047 »

Thanks for the ideas. Yes, that Aprilia box is stupidly expensive. I guess I'm surprised that there aren't more appropriately-styled options in this department.
magnato1

Post by magnato1 »

I don't think that Vintage riders like topcases and thus the nonexistent market. Probably most vintage riders don't ride their Rallies and Sprints etc. as daily drivers, so they don't need too cases either. Just a guess, but I agree, I had a really tough time finding something for mine. I got lucky on Craigslist and found a guy with a BBQ rack AND vintage topcase.
trumptonriot

Post by trumptonriot »

You could go with a Vespa topcase, but they're kind of pricey.

Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

I went to WallyWorlds sporting section and picked up a large and a small
canvas covered cooler. Used bungies to put one on the back rack and the small one of the front. Total cost for the 2 was $29.00. They are working
fine. The big one has folding interiour sides and a zipper top with a velcro
center opening. I carry a 1 gallon gas can in it and what ever else I need.
The cases are black with red trim and look good with my Cream colored
Stella.
Yeah, I know, I am cheap!!!!! :P
kmrcstintn

Post by kmrcstintn »

I went the cheap-n-easy route; I kept the spring loaded shelf in the down position with heavy duty cable ties and mounted an old milk crate with heavy duty zip ties to the rack; I use a cargo net to keep stuff from flying out; if I get adventurous I have a Shad SH33 topcase leftover from the Buddy 125 I had, but getting the mounting plate just right is gonna be a P.I.T.A.!!!

the milk crate is large enough to hold my lunch case for work and holds my helmets when the scoot is parked...I can lock whatever helmet I'm using to the rack using a locker combo lock or dedicated helmet lock and I have a 5' light duty cable to run through the jacket sleeve if I'm leaving the scoot for a good while