Starting problems!

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

SuperCyclone.81

Starting problems!

Post by SuperCyclone.81 »

Hey guys, I came to the general discussion to get some more views and hopefully some more solutions! Ive got a 07 Rattler 110 that I recent took apart to paint. The problem is, now that I've got it all back together, the electric start didn't work this morning. When I turn the key the gauge and tail light come on like normal but when I get the start button nothing happened, like not even a click. So my question to you guys is, where do I need to start looking? Is there a plug I didn't reconnect or what are some of you thinking?
Thanks so much,
Cole
uklemond

Battery connections

Post by uklemond »

I did this only a few days ago, and it transpired that the connections were not on properly. The black lead had two attachments, and i only put the first one on. Thus the engine light came on as well as the brake but no kick on the electric start. When i saw the mistake i connected the other connection on the black lead and VOILA she was back in the land of the living
SuperCyclone.81

Awesome thanks for the quick response. Now when you say "black lead" what are you taking about? On the battery or some connection? Sorry this is the first time I've actually taken this scooter all apart haha
uklemond

Post by uklemond »

When you disconnect the battery you unscrew the leads that are connected by a screw. When i unscrewed mine the negative side of the battery (Black Lead) had two separate connections, a fat black lead that had a silver block on it that goes over the battery connection, and a smaller black lead that had like a washer connector with it. I missed the bigger one in my rush to get going and only attached the one with the washer type connection. The Positive side was different and only had the silver block connection, so in hindsight i should have noticed the difference but hey im a noob and proud.

It may not be the same problem for you, but your symptoms are EXACTLY the same as mine so thought would share with you.
SuperCyclone.81

Ya thanks so much. Ill have to take a look at that when I get back to the house. I remember my old scooter had two wires going to the positive and one to the negative but these have two going to the negative and one to the positive?
uklemond

Post by uklemond »

SuperCyclone.81 wrote:Ya thanks so much. Ill have to take a look at that when I get back to the house. I remember my old scooter had two wires going to the positive and one to the negative but these have two going to the negative and one to the positive?
On my scoot yes the black connector (I believe is negative) had two connections, a block and a washer connection. The positive (I belive is Red) just had the block connector.

It was on the black side that had the two connections of which one i missed and thus suffered from the very symptoms you described in the opening post.

I have however a 170i not a rattler, but seeing as the symptoms are the same it could be that the diagnoses is the same. Never hurts to look and will be interested in seeing if it is the same.
SuperCyclone.81

Ha I feel really really nebbish, but I got home today to work on the scooter and I came to find out that the right handlebar assembly had came unplugged. Problem solved, thanks for all the help guys!