Stretching out a Buddy

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

RoaringTodd

Stretching out a Buddy

Post by RoaringTodd »

Has anyone tried stretching out a Buddy like what they do for the Ruckus? A little more floor space would go far for me. One of the things I love about my current scoot is the floor space.

I know we would need to figure out the throttle and wiring, and how to cover up the floor where we cut to stretch.

Just wondering here...
Just because I am Deaf ... does not mean I can't roar.
thatvwbusguy

Post by thatvwbusguy »

I have never seen a frame stretch on a Buddy, but there is no reason it couldn't be done as long as you know someone with sufficient welding skills.

Frame stretches often require the addition of a stabilizer bar to avoid excessive flex. On the bright side, since frame stretches do not alter the pivot point of the rear suspension, the under-seat storage and ride height should remain stock.

Brake and throttle cables shouldn't be too tough to figure out, just look at larger scooters and see what can be easily adapted.
If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion.

Jay Brown
Newmarket, NH

Scooter Accessories:
https://sites.google.com/site/vanagonhe ... oter-stuff
Lokky

Post by Lokky »

Honestly I doubt it would look good. The frame for the ruckus has a good look to it as a naked bike, I would never run the buddy naked and you will have to do away with a bunch of the plastic in order to stretch it.
RoaringTodd

Post by RoaringTodd »

I was thinking more along the lines of splicing two floorboards together.
I would never run the buddy naked and you will have to do away with a bunch of the plastic in order to stretch it.
Just because I am Deaf ... does not mean I can't roar.
thatvwbusguy

Post by thatvwbusguy »

A little bit of custom fabrication is going to be needed, but there is no need to have the naked frame look like the Ruckus. Plastic or fiberglass bodywork is pretty easy to work with if you are patient and willing to put in the time. People build vehicles from scratch all the time. Extending a scooter frame a few inches isn't going to be rocket surgery.
If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion.

Jay Brown
Newmarket, NH

Scooter Accessories:
https://sites.google.com/site/vanagonhe ... oter-stuff
TVB

Post by TVB »

RoaringTodd wrote:I was thinking more along the lines of splicing two floorboards together.
There's also the thin side panels (in whatever color the scoot is) that you'd have to deal with.
avonpirate

Post by avonpirate »

My dad, who is now in his late '80's spent a big part of his career 'stretching out' vehicles @ the Superior Coach factory. His creativity and mechanical engineering background is so similiar to what I see in this discussion group. If dad could 'stretch' a limo / bus/ car.... this group could 'stretch' a Buddy.

Rock on!!!! :?: :!:
She with the most 'used' toys wins.

htmldood

Post by htmldood »

A stretch would be awesome! Im still trying to figure out a nice place to put some foot legs on a buddy like they do on the ruckus.