2014/2013 Genuine Buddys ?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Len

2014/2013 Genuine Buddys ?

Post by Len »

Does anyone know of any information on what will be new to the Genuine Buddy in this new year?

or when they may arrive in dealers showrooms? April? May?

If anyone has any info please pass it on.
Syd

Re: 2014/2013 Genuine Buddys ?

Post by Syd »

Len wrote:Does anyone know of any information on what will be new to the Genuine Buddy in this new year?

or when they may arrive in dealers showrooms? April? May?

If anyone has any info please pass it on.
Or to the Genuine lineup? Something multicolored, with a big horn, perhaps? :clown:
The majority is always sane - Nessus
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

Phil McCaleb hinted at something a few months ago but, typical of Genuine, things are kept pretty hush-hush.
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
RoaringTodd

Post by RoaringTodd »

It's a 250cc twist-n-go Stella. Am I the only one who knew this?
Just because I am Deaf ... does not mean I can't roar.
Syd

Post by Syd »

RoaringTodd wrote:It's a 250cc twist-n-go Stella. Am I the only one who knew this?
Nah, it's the Rainbow Unicorn (if I think it enough, will it come true?).
ravenlore

Post by ravenlore »

RoaringTodd wrote:It's a 250cc twist-n-go Stella. Am I the only one who knew this?
And my response to that would be the ubiquitous shut up and take my money!

/thank goodness it's not likely to happen, cuz i got no money.
still shifting

Post by still shifting »

ok, really, a T&G 250 Stella? Pictures are too much to ask?
toot

new genuine buddys

Post by toot »

SERIOUSLY A T & G 250 STELLA!!!!!!!!!!!!! SIGN ME UP--- :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Stormswift

Post by Stormswift »

If they can do 250 cc they could do maybe 300 cc? With auto transmission that would be a very desirableness bike. Many of us love our Buddies to pieces but are ready for more cc's
I am not a scooter snob.
I am a scooter connoisseur
RoaringTodd

Post by RoaringTodd »

Alb brajn

Post by Alb brajn »

A 300cc big buddy. Similar styling but larger wheels and such to be more suitable for the larger engine and faster speeds. I'm drooling already.
ravenlore

Post by ravenlore »

Syd wrote:
Nah, it's the Rainbow Unicorn (if I think it enough, will it come true?).
As far as I'm concerned, a 200cc-250cc T&G Stella IS the Rainbow Unicorn.
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

well w/e Gen has in store hopefully its nothing to do with candy :/

Riding is riding
TVB

Post by TVB »

JHScoot wrote:well w/e Gen has in store hopefully its nothing to do with candy :/
With the right styling, I could go for a Red Hot Buddy!
slotrod65

Post by slotrod65 »

Is there a particular date each year that announcements of the 2013 line happens?
Syd

Post by Syd »

slotrod65 wrote:Is there a particular date each year that announcements of the 2013 line happens?
No, but the members of MB are willing to voice their wishes at the drop of a hat.
slotrod65

Post by slotrod65 »

I completely understand that. I wouldn't mind a 200cc Stella 4T. :D
skully93

Post by skully93 »

OK, I want something just like the bv350, but looks more like the buddy, and doesn't cost any more :twisted:

I'm actually sorta hoping they don't come out with anything I have to have for a few years. I just paid mine off, we're buying a 2nd used buddy in March, and the full restore on the kymco is waiting for a warm day in a friend's garage. My wallet can't handle any more stress!
Alexbv200
Dealer

Post by Alexbv200 »

I have the order guide and the 13s (all but Stellas) have been out since last summer.
Nothing new for the year so far.
At this time, Red, Dijon and Creme/ Avocado Stellas are sold out and won't be available until June when the 2013 Stellas come out. No news on what will be new.

As of January 1st, the Buddy 170 is now priced at $3,349.00

That is all we know at this time.

Interesting price increase on the Buddy 170.
The new Piaggio Fly 150 is coming out in the second quarter with the new 3v engine Fuel Injected (130 mpg out of a 2 gal tank!!!!) and will have front AND rear disk brakes on 12" wheels and tires.
Pricing will most likely increase from the current $2,899 to probably at or just under the 170.
Lokky

Post by Lokky »

I can assure you that 250-300cc on 10" wheels are not as fun as you'd think.

Plus with the side mounted engine of a Stella... oh the horror.
Syd

Post by Syd »

Lokky wrote:I can assure you that 250-300cc on 10" wheels are not as fun as you'd think.

Which is exactly why the classically (but non-Italian) inspired Rainbow Unicorn is such a good idea.

Hope springs eternal, my scooter mantra.
Len

Thanks for the reply - good info

Post by Len »

Alexbv200 wrote:I have the order guide and the 13s (all but Stellas) have been out since last summer.
Nothing new for the year so far.
At this time, Red, Dijon and Creme/ Avocado Stellas are sold out and won't be available until June when the 2013 Stellas come out. No news on what will be new.

As of January 1st, the Buddy 170 is now priced at $3,349.00

That is all we know at this time.

Interesting price increase on the Buddy 170.
The new Piaggio Fly 150 is coming out in the second quarter with the new 3v engine Fuel Injected (130 mpg out of a 2 gal tank!!!!) and will have front AND rear disk brakes on 12" wheels and tires.
Pricing will most likely increase from the current $2,899 to probably at or just under the 170.
This info on the new Piaggio Fly is interesting - I wonder if the new engine (3 Valve) will be the same one they are introducing for the Vespa LX 150ie? That is; made by Piaggio/Vespa and of the same quality as the Vespa?

with dual disc brakes and 12" wheels it may be a near perfect combination. Wish the Vespa LX had 12" wheels and Dual Disc brakes.

so it sounds like the time frame of may - June 2013 is gonna be a good time for new scoots.
ravenlore

Post by ravenlore »

Lokky wrote:I can assure you that 250-300cc on 10" wheels are not as fun as you'd think.

Admittedly if I were building the RU out of a Stella there would be 12's involved.
slotrod65

Post by slotrod65 »

ravenlore wrote: Admittedly if I were building the RU out of a Stella there would be 12's involved.
Would you have a Stella then?
Len

Post by Len »

Alexbv200 wrote:... The new Piaggio Fly 150 is coming out in the second quarter with the new 3v engine Fuel Injected (130 mpg out of a 2 gal tank!!!!) and will have front AND rear disk brakes on 12" wheels and tires.
ALEXBV200 > Do you have a link to this information ? I cannot seem to find anything on a search that will confirm the 12" wheels, 3 Valve Engine and Dual Disc brakes. If you have any confirmed info, ie Brochure, PDF, or link please pass it on.

This sounds like a great scooter. And if you are correct we should see it by June.
ravenlore

Post by ravenlore »

slotrod65 wrote:
ravenlore wrote: Admittedly if I were building the RU out of a Stella there would be 12's involved.
Would you have a Stella then?
Good question philosophically. It would be the body of a Stella (in theory) with a 200cc engine (a Star LML already makes) a CVT (a Star LML already makes) Just not together on the same bike.

The only piece not currently on a Star is bigger wheels.

That said, to some folks a CVT on a Stella is heresy. (I'm ok with being a heretic)

So...maybe? It would be to me.
Alexbv200
Dealer

Post by Alexbv200 »

Len wrote:
Alexbv200 wrote:... The new Piaggio Fly 150 is coming out in the second quarter with the new 3v engine Fuel Injected (130 mpg out of a 2 gal tank!!!!) and will have front AND rear disk brakes on 12" wheels and tires.
ALEXBV200 > Do you have a link to this information ? I cannot seem to find anything on a search that will confirm the 12" wheels, 3 Valve Engine and Dual Disc brakes. If you have any confirmed info, ie Brochure, PDF, or link please pass it on.

This sounds like a great scooter. And if you are correct we should see it by June.
Gas tank is also moved to the floor board which will give you double the under seat storage space.

Here is a pic of the rear disk brake.

Len,

The bike just came out in Europe as a 125 3v; it will be a 150 3v when it comes here. That engine will also be in the Vespa LX as well.

http://www.uk.piaggio.com/en_UK/prodott ... fault.aspx

You can see from the pdf that it clearly shows front and rear disc brakes on 12" wheels and tires.

http://www.uk.piaggio.com/media/fly_125_tech_spec.pdf

8)
Attachments
2013-Piaggio-Fly-125-brakes.jpg
2013-Piaggio-Fly-125-brakes.jpg (103.25 KiB) Viewed 2469 times
Alexbv200
Dealer

Post by Alexbv200 »

Just got an official email from Piaggio usa.

The Fly 150 will come in May of this year, with fuel injection and the 3v engine.
its seat height will be just under 30 inches, 6k intervals for oil changes, about 130 mpg with about a 2 gallon tank, and the best part...

M.S.R.P is unchanged at $2,899!!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:
Len

Post by Len »

Alexbv200 wrote:Just got an official email from Piaggio usa.

The Fly 150 will come in May of this year, with fuel injection and the 3v engine.
its seat height will be just under 30 inches, 6k intervals for oil changes, about 130 mpg with about a 2 gallon tank, and the best part...

Alexbv200> Why the heck is the Vespa LX150 TWICE the money of the Fly 150? I mean if it is the same engine, same company. etc. is it just the vespa status symbol?

are the other Piaggio scooters the same quality as the Vespa Line?
As a Dealer I would imagine you have some thoughts on this !!
TVB

Post by TVB »

Len wrote:Why the heck is the Vespa LX150 TWICE the money of the Fly 150? I mean if it is the same engine, same company. etc. is it just the vespa status symbol?
I would guess that a big part of it is where they're manufactured: the Fly is built in mainland China (with Piaggio-specified quality control).
Alexbv200
Dealer

Post by Alexbv200 »

TVB wrote:
Len wrote:Why the heck is the Vespa LX150 TWICE the money of the Fly 150? I mean if it is the same engine, same company. etc. is it just the vespa status symbol?
I would guess that a big part of it is where they're manufactured: the Fly is built in mainland China (with Piaggio-specified quality control).
Len, there is what TVB said, although there is nothing wrong with that; the bike has been extremely reliable!!
The parts are built in Italy and sent to China in a Piaggio own factory for final assembly.
It's about $1,600 more for the Vespa.
But the Vespa also is a metal body bike which just costs more to manufactur.

That Fly is going to be a hot seller, although I suspect this is an introdoctury price, and we might have a price increase after a year or so. It would still be incredible value for the money!

Piaggio and Vespa share the same engines for the most part, and the BV350 has been pretty much bullet proof. It is one of the best selling bikes in Italy.
Both Vespa and Piaggio bikes have been very reliable for the past few years. heck, my 2001 ET4 has 18k miles and has never given me troubles!
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

You guys crack me up.

While I don't have SOLID, CONFIRMED info, are my guesses for what's coming down the pipeline:

An automatic Stella 150. No, not a 250—yet. The auto 125 is already in Europe. Pics below. This WILL happen, we just don't know when. This also explains why everyone from Genuine kind of smirked, shook their heads, and said, "Nahhhh," when I asked about the auto smallframe/PK that LML debuted the previous year. This one is more than a guess. I'd bet my Stella on it. Then again, I spent three years (or more) saying that a 4T (or at least 50-state) Stella was coming when LML restarted production. I was like Stella Chicken Little. And then THE SKY ACTUALLY FELL.

The auto Stella 250 isn't a myth, though. LML outlined a plan for Stella development when production restarted a few years ago. So far, every step of that outline has been fulfilled: 125/1502T, 125/1504T, 200cc engine, injected 200, automatic 125/150. An larger automatic is the next step. (I have concerns about a 250cc auto Stella, mainly having to do with a reasonable price point for such a model in the US.)

I think we can count on new Buddy colors and probably at least one special edition 125 or 170 Buddy.

A special edition Stella 4T. Personally, I'd love to see another numbered edition like the Atomic Fireball, GB150 or the limited Buddys. There hasn't been one of the Stellas yet. I'd love to see a high-performance one with the bigger carb, pipe, etc.—the Stella equivalent of the Blackjack.

A larger-engined sport scooter. This one is a big shot in the dark from me, but it makes sense. The fabled Genuine Cruiser is still in development, but there's clearly room for a better 250cc-400cc model in the market. Sport scooters have been gaining in popularity, and I think there will be more growth and interest thanks to models like the BV350, the BMW C Series, Aprilia SRV, etc. A good-looking scoot in the 300cc-350cc range at under $5K might do well. The thing is, PGO doesnt currently have anything bigger than the Blur 220i in its lineup. So… a bigger Blur? Or… ???

The Genuine Cruiser. 2014, maybe?!? Late 2014?!? The market is starting to pick up. Despite what I said above about a larger sport scooter, the biggest issue many have with the Taiwanese scoots in the 250cc-400cc range is styling. SYM seems to have caught on to this, and their newer models are better looking. The pricier Kymcos? Meh. But I digress…

[EDIT: pulled a redundant bit about LX assembly in Italy. Alex covered it! ]
Last edited by ericalm on Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Alexbv200 wrote:\its seat height will be just under 30 inches, 6k intervals for oil changes, about 130 mpg with about a 2 gallon tank, and the best part...

The last big design change to the Fly was a nice step forward. The 3v engine, a VERY nice step forward.

Does this mean the 3v LXs are coming, too?!?
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Syd

Post by Syd »

ericalm wrote:You guys crack me up.
Buzzkill! 2014? I don't want to wait for 2014 :cry:

Guess I need to seriously look for an interim scoot to replace the Fiddle (good scoot, but I'm over it) till Batman rides to the rescue. Go Batman!

(Anybody in AZ got a reliable Riva 200? I wanna be Larry Crowne)
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Syd wrote:(Anybody in AZ got a reliable Riva 200? I wanna be Larry Crowne)
His was a 180! I think the 200 only came in black and gold. :nerd:
RoaringTodd

Post by RoaringTodd »

Syd wrote: (Anybody in AZ got a reliable Riva 200? I wanna be Larry Crowne)
I know this isn't Arizona, but if you need a pick up from Philadelphia airport, I'd be glad to help out. No, this scoot isn't mine. Saw this on CL today.

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/mcy/3542585790.html
slotrod65

Post by slotrod65 »

An auto Stella? I kinda like the idea of manual shift. It will keep people who cannot ride a manual from asking to try it... 8)
Alexbv200
Dealer

Post by Alexbv200 »

ericalm wrote:
Alexbv200 wrote:\its seat height will be just under 30 inches, 6k intervals for oil changes, about 130 mpg with about a 2 gallon tank, and the best part...

The last big design change to the Fly was a nice step forward. The 3v engine, a VERY nice step forward.

Does this mean the 3v LXs are coming, too?!?
Oh yeah.. they are already out in Europe, so am guessing the 2014 LX will have it too.
madtolive

Post by madtolive »

dang. do ya'll think this is worth holding out for? its a short three months away, and onlya month longer than when i expected to purchase a buddy 170...

to be honest, i don't think the fly is as nice to look at as the buddy tho. :oops:
sunil: "And if you spend 40 dollars making a pizza then you sir are a retard."
ericalm: "No name calling, please. Maybe he's using truffles and top-grade meats."
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

I just hope I can get a 150cc 4T in black soon. The biggest shame is that a lot of vintage guys pooh-pooh it. I've been studying the parts catalog and the service manual. It uses the same type of gears as a 2T and the clutch is a 2T 200cc style (7-spring) with a 21-tooth drive gear. I'm pretty sure that a 165cc kit with a meaty carb (21mm or larger) could drive a case full of P200 gears (with a P125/T5 4th gear). Need to make time to work on John K's beater 4T, but I fully intend to make it fast and and show-up the naysayers.

As for the Cruiser, I'm really warming up to the idea of colluding with PeterC and just building one up. It just has to be a boxer and s geared transmission. :wink:
Last edited by az_slynch on Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

ericalm wrote:
Syd wrote:(Anybody in AZ got a reliable Riva 200? I wanna be Larry Crowne)
His was a 180! I think the 200 only came in black and gold. :nerd:
Yes, the movie bikes were 180s. Biggest visual tip is the single-sided fork. The black/gold bikes are the Z trim level. AFAIK, the 125, 180 and 200 were all available in a Z trim level. It was mainly a color package, but it also added a digital clock on the 180 version. I've seen 200s in a two-tone scheme, but I'm not sure if it was factory.

The one to get is the 180 Deluxe. Carpeted floorboards, a digital dash and self-cancelling turn signals. Now that's high-falutin'! :lol:
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Alexbv200
Dealer

Post by Alexbv200 »

madtolive wrote:

dang. do ya'll think this is worth holding out for? its a short three months away, and onlya month longer than when i expected to purchase a buddy 170...

to be honest, i don't think the fly is as nice to look at as the buddy tho. :oops:
Buddy is a little cuter than the Fly for sure, but the lines of the new Fly are much better than the outgoing one, and have a little bit of Buddy in it.
In Pearl White, I think it will be a stunner!
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Alexbv200 wrote:In Pearl White, I think it will be a stunner!
I'm having a little trouble picturing that. Hmm...
Attachments
Piaggio Fly 2013.jpg
Piaggio Fly 2013.jpg (104.99 KiB) Viewed 2185 times
Alexbv200
Dealer

Post by Alexbv200 »

jrsjr wrote:
Alexbv200 wrote:In Pearl White, I think it will be a stunner!
I'm having a little trouble picturing that. Hmm...
Well yeah.. I mean... where is the scoot on that pic? :D
Rob

Post by Rob »

ericalm wrote:The Genuine Cruiser. 2014, maybe?!? Late 2014?!? The market is starting to pick up. Despite what I said above about a larger sport scooter, the biggest issue many have with the Taiwanese scoots in the 250cc-400cc range is styling. SYM seems to have caught on to this, and their newer models are better looking.
If there were any strong indications that a 2014 cruiser would happen, we'd hold off on the scoot upsize. Then again with our current pace and progress, we might still be looking next year.

It certainly does seem like the scoot market is getting better. Yesterday when passing a Honda dealer, I noticed more scoots in the window and on the floor than I've seen in several years now.

Rob
"Sponges grow in the ocean. That just kills me. I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be if that didn't happen."
- Steven Wright
kungfooren

Post by kungfooren »

When I was in Taiwan, I was able to check out a PGO dealer. Their newer i-Bubu (our Buddy) has a digital speedometer which is pretty cool.

http://www.pgo.com.tw/productsDia.php?cls=1&id=19
TVB

Post by TVB »

kungfooren wrote:When I was in Taiwan, I was able to check out a PGO dealer. Their newer i-Bubu (our Buddy) has a digital speedometer which is pretty cool.
Humbug. Speedometers should be analog. Do it with a bitmapped display if you must, but make it analog.
skully93

Post by skully93 »

I would do the digital on a FI buddy I guess. if it says 'hello' to me though I draw the line :P.
ravenlore

Post by ravenlore »

One Piece decals? Really?

(like i can judge. If they were Bleach decals I'd be ALL OVER that)
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

skully93 wrote:I would do the digital on a FI buddy I guess. if it says 'hello' to me though I draw the line :P.
What if it said "Rrrready." like one of the old Heathkit HERO-1s? That'd be awesome! :D