DOT From Asia? (Japanese street fashion and scooter gear)

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

buttercreamsunshine

DOT From Asia? (Japanese street fashion and scooter gear)

Post by buttercreamsunshine »

Hi everyone~

I want to buy a helmet from overseas... maybe Japan, China, or Korea? I just can't find anything my style here. This includes all other gear as well, but as for helmets, I want to make sure it's DOT approved for safety and legal reasons, of course. Does anyone know anything about this?

Thanks!

Kara xx
Last edited by buttercreamsunshine on Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
jdanderson1449

Post by jdanderson1449 »

I do believe that the USDOT has finally accepted the Euro standard also. I'm not an expert in that though so I'd still check the statutes where you live. Happy hunting!
slotrod65

Post by slotrod65 »

As far as NY state is concerned, a helmet must have a DOT sticker to be officially legal. Each state is different.
Lokky

Post by Lokky »

slotrod65 wrote:As far as NY state is concerned, a helmet must have a DOT sticker to be officially legal. Each state is different.
does that require out of state riders to have one as well? I have so far only found a single DOT modular that will fit my head and it's not a very good cruising helmet. I was hoping to expand into the european/japanese markets for helmets they get and we don't.
jdanderson1449

Post by jdanderson1449 »

They're sticklers here too. I ride everything with a 3/4 while in town. I kind of loathe putting on my Icon. It's too heavy and makes my neck hurt on long rides. Gonna spring for an Arai as soon as I pay my current bill off...
slotrod65

Post by slotrod65 »

jdanderson1449 wrote:They're sticklers here too. I ride everything with a 3/4 while in town. I kind of loathe putting on my Icon. It's too heavy and makes my neck hurt on long rides. Gonna spring for an Arai as soon as I pay my current bill off...
If you are riding a motorcycle in NY State, which includes any two wheeled vehicle larger than 50cc, a DOT approved helmet is required by law. That being said, I have never heard the police inspecting helmets looking for a DOT sticker, except of course at the big Americade Harley rally they hold up at lake George each year.
skully93

Post by skully93 »

since I spilled a year ago and had to replace my heavy (but very nice) scorpion 1000, I picked up the 900. Because it's modular it can be a bit big, but you can even remove the chinbar to make it a 3/4.

for a full face I also have the 1100, and whatever the next model down is for my wife. They're pretty light and comfy, and usually a little less than the Arai helmets. I wouldn't complain about getting an arai or bell by any means though.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

What kind of style are you looking for?

The quality on most of those Asian helmets sold online is really poor and the sizing is often inconsistent. But there are DOT versions of many of the styles.
jdanderson1449 wrote:I do believe that the USDOT has finally accepted the Euro standard also. I'm not an expert in that though so I'd still check the statutes where you live. Happy hunting!
Not, ECE isn't accepted in the US. If the US does adopt some of the same standards, helmets sold here would still have to pass via DOT. If you're curious, the DOT standards are outlined in FMVSS 218, here.

BUT, the way DOT certification works is that manufacturers test and certify their own helmets. Then the NHTSA tests some helmets after they're on sale, and if they're found to be noncompliant or fail, they then issue recalls. (Some fail for reasons such as labeling or other non-safety related reasons.) Of course, no retailers or manufacturers have registries of who bought what helmet, so odds you find out your lid got recalled or failed are pretty low, unless you check the annual test results, the newest of which available is from 2008.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

My problem is getting a helmet large enough that it does not unloge my
cochlear hearing devise. I have several DOT extra large helmets of
differing designs but the only one that works for me is a Bell half helmet,
and it is slightly modified. :(
buttercreamsunshine

Well I'm talking like colors/prints. I want pastels and ACTUAL cute, flowery, bubbly things rather than the tacky, barbie pink, 6-year-old girl, tattoo parlor flowers, etc that they sell here... I wear Japanese fashion, so I want it to go with my look (google "japanese sweet lolita fashion," "OTT sweet lolita" or "fairy kei"). I don't understand why it's so hard to find a helmet that's just a plain, solid pastel color! Nevermind a cute print! I think more girls would ride scooters/bikes if they didn't have to look hideous (sorry) while doing it. Guys get to look cool all they want, and yeah, there is really (expensive) sexy and cool girl gear, but what about the girly girls? :/ God, even just plain white with a decent petite cut would be better than nothing. I'm riding a scooter in order to save money on gas so that I can afford the clothes I like. Why can't I look cute while riding, too? Isn't that the whole point of riding a scooter anyways?

Speaking of which, if anyone knows where I can get some decent asian jackets, boots, pants, etc, please let me know! xx
skipper20

Post by skipper20 »

buttercreamsunshine wrote:Well I'm talking like colors/prints. I want pastels and ACTUAL cute, flowery, bubbly things rather than the tacky, barbie pink, 6-year-old girl, tattoo parlor flowers, etc that they sell here... I wear Japanese fashion, so I want it to go with my look (google "japanese lolita fashion" or "fairy kei"). I don't understand why it's so hard to find a helmet that's just a plain, solid pastel color! Nevermind a cute print! I think more girls would ride scooters/bikes if they didn't have to look hideous (sorry) while doing it. Guys get to look cool all they want, and yeah, there is really (expensive) sexy and cool girl gear, but what about the girly girls? :/ God, even just plain white with a decent petite cut would be better than nothing. I'm riding a scooter in order to save money on gas so that I can afford the clothes I like. Why can't I look cute while riding, too? Isn't that the whole point of riding a scooter anyways?

Speaking of which, if anyone knows where I can get some decent asian jackets, boots, pants, etc, please let me know! xx
"Guys get to look cool all they want" Hmmm. Could you maybe define the "cool look" for guys that is. I'm starting to worry that I may not look cool. I know I'll never look cute but cool, yeah, maybe I could get that look. But, please I need to know exactly what scooter "cool" looks like. And just think, I've been worrying lately over mundane things like gas tank size, LED running lights, Blackjack vs. Zuma 125, etc. when the real issue is looking cool. Oh my, have I lost it or what? Help!!!

Bill in Seattle but wintering in AZ and now terribly worried about "cool"
'12 170i Italia "The Money Pit"
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

buttercreamsunshine wrote:Well I'm talking like colors/prints. I want pastels and ACTUAL cute, flowery, bubbly things rather than the tacky, barbie pink, 6-year-old girl, tattoo parlor flowers, etc that they sell here... I wear Japanese fashion, so I want it to go with my look (google "japanese sweet lolita fashion," "OTT sweet lolita" or "fairy kei"). I don't understand why it's so hard to find a helmet that's just a plain, solid pastel color! Nevermind a cute print! I think more girls would ride scooters/bikes if they didn't have to look hideous (sorry) while doing it. Guys get to look cool all they want, and yeah, there is really (expensive) sexy and cool girl gear, but what about the girly girls? :/ God, even just plain white with a decent petite cut would be better than nothing. I'm riding a scooter in order to save money on gas so that I can afford the clothes I like. Why can't I look cute while riding, too? Isn't that the whole point of riding a scooter anyways?

Oh, even as a guy I get this. There aren't as many options for guys as you might think! Especially for someone like me who doesn't like being festooned with giant logos, even of companies I support.

You're probably looking for an open-face helmet, right? Do you have any links or images? Might be able to find something similar.

You might also be able to search or post to the Scooter Diva forums (http://www.scooterdiva.com/forum/); they get a lot of posts on pink/fashionable helmets!

Here are some that might not be what you want, but at least show there are some options out there.

A very good pastel (with a stripe) helmet is the Nolan N-20 or Nolan N-30.
A little sporty, though.

An HJC:

Scorpion:
(There's a similar print on a full face, too.)

This is a bottom-of-the-barrel helmet by Outlaw Helmets:

Icon FF with cherry blossoms:
Wolfhound wrote:My problem is getting a helmet large enough that it does not unloge my
cochlear hearing devise. I have several DOT extra large helmets of
differing designs but the only one that works for me is a Bell half helmet,
and it is slightly modified. :(
A lot of helmets now have cavities for speakers/comm systems and might have more space for this. My G-Max 54S has padding around the ear, but not right up against it.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

buttercreamsunshine wrote:my look (google "japanese sweet lolita fashion," "OTT sweet lolita" or "fairy kei").
BTW: Lolicon bait. :) :oops:
phatch

Post by phatch »

ericalm wrote:
buttercreamsunshine wrote:my look (google "japanese sweet lolita fashion," "OTT sweet lolita" or "fairy kei").
BTW: Lolicon bait. :) :oops:
baha, had to google that term, but you're absolutely correct!
ravenlore

Post by ravenlore »

Get some adhesive bling and decals.

Seriously though, i get it. Womens helmets tend to be...i guess gaudy would be the most polite way to put it.

while not necessarily "cute" per se, i do recommend having a look at GoGo Gear's site. The jackets are properly protective and feminine without being gaudy.

If you're actually into Gothic Lolita for clothing, i strongly suggest Draggin K-Legs. They're armored Kevlar leggings (A pair of these is on my shortlist so I can wear skirts with a degree of impact and abrasion protection)

Several boot manufacturers are coming out with sneaker look-alike models, and Dainese has a model called Cafe which are Doc Martens lookalikes.

I do think that with effort and money, you'll be able to cobble together a look you can be happy with. But it may well take effort and money.

Specific helmet EDIT:

-The Nexx X-60 helmet in Queen is a nice helmet without being over-the-top.

The Bell Heartbreaker is cute.

Shoei Corazon isn't bad.

A gmax with purple or pink butterflies...

(other helmets may be added to this list if my workday permits.)
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

Thanks, Eric. I will check it out. The main problem with an implant is that the
transmitter is held against the reciever which is implanted in the skull above
the ear magnetically and that is the piece that gets dislodged.
buttercreamsunshine

skipper20 wrote:
buttercreamsunshine wrote:Well I'm talking like colors/prints. I want pastels and ACTUAL cute, flowery, bubbly things rather than the tacky, barbie pink, 6-year-old girl, tattoo parlor flowers, etc that they sell here... I wear Japanese fashion, so I want it to go with my look (google "japanese lolita fashion" or "fairy kei"). I don't understand why it's so hard to find a helmet that's just a plain, solid pastel color! Nevermind a cute print! I think more girls would ride scooters/bikes if they didn't have to look hideous (sorry) while doing it. Guys get to look cool all they want, and yeah, there is really (expensive) sexy and cool girl gear, but what about the girly girls? :/ God, even just plain white with a decent petite cut would be better than nothing. I'm riding a scooter in order to save money on gas so that I can afford the clothes I like. Why can't I look cute while riding, too? Isn't that the whole point of riding a scooter anyways?

"Guys get to look cool all they want" Hmmm. Could you maybe define the "cool look" for guys that is. I'm starting to worry that I may not look cool. I know I'll never look cute but cool, yeah, maybe I could get that look. But, please I need to know exactly what scooter "cool" looks like. And just think, I've been worrying lately over mundane things like gas tank size, LED running lights, Blackjack vs. Zuma 125, etc. when the real issue is looking cool. Oh my, have I lost it or what? Help!!!

Okay wow maybe I came off a bit strong due to being frustrated but no one said you HAD to care about looking cool. I said guys have the option if they want to. Chill out.
chas

Post by chas »

buttercreamsunshine wrote:
skipper20 wrote:

Okay wow maybe I came off a bit strong due to being frustrated but no one said you HAD to care about looking cool. I said guys have the option if they want to. Chill out.
She's right, you know. I look really, really, ridiculously cool all the time when I ride. It's a blessing and a curse.
buttercreamsunshine

chas wrote:
buttercreamsunshine wrote:
skipper20 wrote: "Guys get to look cool all they want" Hmmm. Could you maybe define the "cool look" for guys that is. I'm starting to worry that I may not look cool. I know I'll never look cute but cool, yeah, maybe I could get that look. But, please I need to know exactly what scooter "cool" looks like. And just think, I've been worrying lately over mundane things like gas tank size, LED running lights, Blackjack vs. Zuma 125, etc. when the real issue is looking cool. Oh my, have I lost it or what? Help!!!

She's right, you know. I look really, really, ridiculously cool all the time when I ride. It's a blessing and a curse.
Can I like this post? :lol:
buttercreamsunshine

ericalm wrote: Oh, even as a guy I get this. There aren't as many options for guys as you might think! Especially for someone like me who doesn't like being festooned with giant logos, even of companies I support.
I totally understand that, too! Man, you'd think with the internet these days there'd be a lot more options (not to mention more people going to scooters/motorcycles due to the economy). :?
ericalm wrote:You might also be able to search or post to the Scooter Diva forums (http://www.scooterdiva.com/forum/); they get a lot of posts on pink/fashionable helmets!
Oh wow! I'll definitely check there! Thanks so much for the recommendation~!
ericalm wrote:You're probably looking for an open-face helmet, right? Do you have any links or images? Might be able to find something similar.
Well, full-face is preferable for safety reasons (I'm not completely impractical and would rather go a bit more for function over fashion here, though the open face ones are definitely cuter. If it comes down to it, though I may just go open-face)
ericalm wrote:
Here are some that might not be what you want, but at least show there are some options out there.
I don't really want sparkles. I'm looking more for solid, bold colors- like kid/baby toys is the best way I can describe it (lol not looking so good for the lolicon thing. But whatever just because you like the colors marketed to children doesn't mean you have anything to do with them. Why do "adults" have to get all the boring colors? Are we supposed to just give in and blend in to this depressing world?). The color of the 5th one down is good! Maybe I could add stickers? But again I really am hoping for a full-face helmet. :/ Is it possible to get a helmet painted...?

Here's another example of color:

I don't like the design much, though. It looks like a baseball helmet or something.

Also something like this!

Thanks for your help and understanding~ :D

xx
buttercreamsunshine

ravenlore wrote:Get some adhesive bling and decals.

Seriously though, i get it. Womens helmets tend to be...i guess gaudy would be the most polite way to put it.

while not necessarily "cute" per se, i do recommend having a look at GoGo Gear's site. The jackets are properly protective and feminine without being gaudy.

If you're actually into Gothic Lolita for clothing, i strongly suggest Draggin K-Legs. They're armored Kevlar leggings (A pair of these is on my shortlist so I can wear skirts with a degree of impact and abrasion protection)

Several boot manufacturers are coming out with sneaker look-alike models, and Dainese has a model called Cafe which are Doc Martens lookalikes.

I do think that with effort and money, you'll be able to cobble together a look you can be happy with. But it may well take effort and money.
I do know of GoGo Gear, and I really like their stuff! I'm just hoping to find something a bit closer to my day-to-day style. I am definitely thinking of some kind of pants or leggings to go over my outfits' socks and leggings, to protect me and them from falls, dirt, etc, so I'll look into those Kevlar leggings. I'll have to look into those sneaker look-alikes! Thanks for the tips~

Those helmets are okay... If only the pink colors were lighter... :/
slotrod65

Post by slotrod65 »

These people will repaint a helmet... and give you the custom liner of your dreams...

http://hellmutts.webs.com/
buttercreamsunshine

slotrod65 wrote:These people will repaint a helmet... and give you the custom liner of your dreams...

http://hellmutts.webs.com/
Oh man, that looks seriously cool! I was gonna say I would have to check that out when I had that kind of money for it, but then I saw "Any modifications to a DOT helmet (including paint) is considered to render the helmet non-DOT legal." OH. :(
slotrod65

Post by slotrod65 »

I have my old 1980's standby SHOEI RF108V fullface that is scratched from being in closets for years... I may get it painted up next winter. Right now I need it for my MS Class, as my Italian DOOA helmet does not have a DOT sticker.
rsrider

Post by rsrider »

Go to cruiser shop, buy DOT sticker, put on helmet, done. I take all the stickers off my helmets, haven't had a problem, but then I live CA.
Using the internet for evil since 1994.
anthony

Post by anthony »

buttercreamsunshine wrote:"Any modifications to a DOT helmet (including paint) is considered to render the helmet non-DOT legal."
It may or may not matter to you, but I seriously doubt your average cop knows the specifics of the law, let alone is all that interested in enforcing them when there are much more important things to be concerned about.
buttercreamsunshine

anthony wrote:
buttercreamsunshine wrote:"Any modifications to a DOT helmet (including paint) is considered to render the helmet non-DOT legal."
It may or may not matter to you, but I seriously doubt your average cop knows the specifics of the law, let alone is all that interested in enforcing them when there are much more important things to be concerned about.
True. In that case, though, couldn't I just go with a helmet already made from Japan and just save myself the trouble?
cdwise

Post by cdwise »

One of the guys that worked for my brother's sign shop would custom airbrush helmets to match the bike then replace the DOT sticker with a new one since the original would be removed before it was painted.

My ex-sister in law had a custom Shoei that she ordered. Of course it cost over $900 so getting one that fits and spending the $60-100 to get it repainted with a new sticker seems a lot better to me.
anthony

Post by anthony »

buttercreamsunshine wrote: True. In that case, though, couldn't I just go with a helmet already made from Japan and just save myself the trouble?
You could; you'd just have to accept the risk of it not meeting certain safety criteria, as established by the US DOT. I don't know the standards or lack thereof of other countries, so for all I know there may be minimal risk, or it could be very great.
jdanderson1449

Post by jdanderson1449 »

I spend a lot of my time at the shop researching new gear. Especially helmets. There are about a million and one helmet manufacturers in the world, only a handful of which are making helmets to DOT standards.

As far as my noggin is concerned, I'm not sure how anyone can compare anything that Scorpion manufactures to anything that Arai manufactures. It's like comparing apples and bananas.

DOT standards are the bare minimums that a helmet needs to meet to be sold on the US market as a safety device.

Some companies take steps to meet the standards, others make sure they exceed standards.

Your helmet should fit snug, almost tight. I won't get in to proper helmet fitting here, if you don't know, ask me or call me at work, that's what I get paid for.

But, when a helmet costs $400-600, it's for a very good reason. When a helmet is $99.99 or under, also a very good reason. You can basically use that dollar figure as a good indicator of what sort of protection you'll be getting from the helmet you're wearing.

I agree that US manufacturers and even some of the higher quality Japanese manufacturers could do a little better to incorporate DOMO into their helmets but they're really there for more than looking good.
anthony

Post by anthony »

jdanderson1449 wrote: But, when a helmet costs $400-600, it's for a very good reason. When a helmet is $99.99 or under, also a very good reason. You can basically use that dollar figure as a good indicator of what sort of protection you'll be getting from the helmet you're wearing.
My helmet was just over $100, but both DOT and Snell-certified. Are you saying that, despite passing those safety standards, you believe it to still be a sub-par helmet?
jdanderson1449

Post by jdanderson1449 »

I am saying just that. I have seen cheap helmets split down the middle in low speed crashes, meaning around 40 mph. That being said, something is better than nothing but how much is your brain worth.

High dollar helmets are designed to be energy management systems, similar to air bags and seat belts in cars. The materials that these helmets are made from are designed to absorb impact and dissipate energy before it even makes it to your head.

Anyone knowledgeable of helmets at your local shop should be able to give you the low down on the high dollar ones and why they are better. It could be as simple as the materials they are made from or as complicated as how the materials in those helmets handle different impacts.

If I remember correctly, the Arai website even goes in to detail on all of those points including the ability to get a proper fit for the unique shape of YOUR head.

I may kind of sound like an Arai salesman, I'm not. Like I said, I've spent countless hours researching many different helmet manufacturers and up to this point in time I wouldn't trust my brain in a crash to very many of the others out there. Some others that I like are Shoei and AGV. I suspect that if it's good enough for someone to wear while riding MotoGP, it's probably gonna keep you from being brain damaged in the event of a 40 mph crash.

I'll get in to the difference between DOT and Snell at another time but they are two totally different sets of standards.
Just remember that not all helmets are created equally.
buttercreamsunshine

jdanderson1449 wrote:
I agree that US manufacturers and even some of the higher quality Japanese manufacturers could do a little better to incorporate DOMO into their helmets but they're really there for more than looking good.
But I would even be happy with just a plain solid color one that I liked. I don't understand why even that is so hard to find. :/