Best performance tires for a Buddy?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

z20k

Best performance tires for a Buddy?

Post by z20k »

So, I got the Prima whitewalls put on my Buddy 161 a while back with red rims for the look assuming the performance would be just as good as the stock tires.. and I gotta say, they freaking suck. I feel like I lose traction a LOT.

I'd like to find some really good whitewalls, or I can possibly get some really good non-whitewalls and fake whitewall them. All I know is the performance on these tires are weak. :?
Oh, so they have internet on computers now!
skully93

Post by skully93 »

from what I gather, there are no real good whitewalls for the Buddy.

Most of us rock Michelins or Heidekau (sp?) tires. I have Mich S1's and I really noticed over the attractive but useless maxxis whitewalls
Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

I got Continental Zippys but they aren't white walls. None the less, I think they're great....
Last edited by Drum Pro on Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jdanderson1449

Post by jdanderson1449 »

In my experience, my favorites so far at Heidenhau or I really like some of the Pirelli models too. Buddys are a pain because of their 10 inch wheels. Just avoid Shinko's at all costs.
hal888

Post by hal888 »

I replaced my Prima whitewalls with Heidenau tires based on some positive comments from MB members. I'm very happy with them, and I felt they really improved the scooter's performance and stability. My rear tire has over 5,000 miles on it, and the wear bars are just now coming level with the tread.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

For performance purposes, you can't beat the Heidenau K61. Your dealer can probably order them or you can get them online via Scooterwest.com. Shipping on tires is actually not as bad as you might think.

For whitewalls, sadly, there aren't any great performance tires out there. The Primas are okay if you're a casual, everyday, running errands kind of rider. The best (tubeless) whitewall in recent years were the Maxxis that used to come stock omn the Internationals. Sadly, discontinued.

You might want to check on this but the Continental K62 whitewall might be tubeless now or might work on Buddy rims. It's a bit confusing: Conti was converting all their tubed to tubeless a couple years ago and the tires are stamped "tubeless." But a lot of websites still say they're tubed, possibly because when used on most split rims (like Stellas and most vintage scoots have), you still need to run a tube in there.

Scooterworks says they're tubed; Scooterwest says tubeless. You might just want to call and ask—both places are very familiar with Buddys!
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Lokky

Post by Lokky »

+1 on the heidenau. K61 for year round, k58 for the winter.
anthony

Post by anthony »

I've done a lot of research on this topic as a result of needing new tires recently, and the consensus seems to be: as Eric said, the best whitewalls seem to have been the stock Maxxis that are no longer produced. Shinko and Prima both seem to not be that great.

For better non-whitewall tires, the favorites seem to be: Heidenaus, though these are somewhat pricey, Continental Zippys, and Michelin S1s. I have the latter and can testify that they're nice and grippy, and not very expensive.

Of course, being late to the thread, all of these have already been mentioned...
still shifting

Post by still shifting »

Michelin S1 is a good tire and a good buy. I am always reasonably content with the wear and performance. I don't think I will ever buy another white wall, they scared me. R
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

White walls are for show...not performance.

I love the Heidenau K61 for "everyday" use.

By far the best "performance" tire I have used is the SIP Performer.

They are the only 10-inch tire I have found that are L rated (75 mph) sticky sticky and wear well
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
mike_cor

Post by mike_cor »

Rear tire on my 150 Italia went out today. I was riding and felt the rear slide a little, stopped to check and the tire had apparently come apart all along the seam between the white wall and the black tire. It was the original Maxxis white wall that came with the bike, 2009 model with 3200 miles. Found this thread and just ordered up a Michelin S1.

The size of the tire says 100/90-10 56J. On the website, the size listed was 100/90J-10.... this is the same thing right? I imagine there are various ways of writing it but it looks to me like the aspect ratio is still 90, 10 is the diameter in inches and J represents speed recommendations?
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

mike_cor wrote:Rear tire on my 150 Italia went out today. I was riding and felt the rear slide a little, stopped to check and the tire had apparently come apart all along the seam between the white wall and the black tire. It was the original Maxxis white wall that came with the bike, 2009 model with 3200 miles. Found this thread and just ordered up a Michelin S1.

The size of the tire says 100/90-10 56J. On the website, the size listed was 100/90J-10.... this is the same thing right? I imagine there are various ways of writing it but it looks to me like the aspect ratio is still 90, 10 is the diameter in inches and J represents speed recommendations?
Correct!

I just put S1s on my Stella and have to say that I really like them! Nice grip; better than S83s.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
mike_cor

Post by mike_cor »

Thanks Eric.

One more thing - I had to ride home (about 2 miles) in an almost flat tire and I did it at super slow speed. Most of it actually I just walked the scoot. Anyways, if I find rim damage does anyone know where I can buy a green rear rim for the 2009 Italia 150?
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Scooterworks will have them, but you might have to call them to order it. Not everything is in the online catalog.
SonnyD

Post by SonnyD »

Love the S1's.....but have not tried the Heidendau's
2006 Buddy 125 in ORANGE!..Sold
2007 Harley FLHX in Black Cherry!
1999 Saturn SC1...."Marvin"...Still runnin' strong
kungfooren

with regards to faking them...

Post by kungfooren »

Whitewalls were the main reason why i was drawn to the buddy model in the first place. I've ridden on the Shinkos and Prima whitewalls and completely dislike the first but can live with the latter. I don't think the Shinkos have good grip in any weather. The Primas were nice when it was dry. I never rode them in the wet.

Anyways, when I replaced my stolen Buddy, I attempted to paint my own whitewalls using the michelin S1. There's some fancy Norwegian white wall paint out there but it was too much of a hassle to buy. Instead, I went with some Ranger brands whitewall tire paint... FAIL.
I think I did a good job cleaning and painting the tires. Unfortunately, they get dirty waayyy to easily and the paint has already started to flake and peel. Thus I don't recommend painting them... at least not with the Ranger whitewall paint.

Not sure what I'm going to do now. Probably just live with a non whitewall... :(
Attachments
paintedwhitewalls.jpg
paintedwhitewalls.jpg (193.08 KiB) Viewed 1650 times
Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

I never liked whitewalls. They look cool but are a PTA to keep clean. For tires, what's the point...
lovemysan

Post by lovemysan »

http://www.schwalbetires.com/scooter_tires/weatherman

Whitewall: Swhalbe weatherman hs540. Silica rubber compound. Should be a great tire. A friend has them and loves them.