You're gonna laugh...

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

skully93

You're gonna laugh...

Post by skully93 »

So, I thought I would be all smart and turn my idle down. the new cdi/coil combo is great, but it was a bit high.

I backed it out a little far, and SPROING! The little screw popped out and went directly into the no man's land under the carb. of course it isn't magnetic (bit of trivia though, the spring is!). Whatever, it's God's screw now, lost to antiquity.

I had a spare headlamp screw, which works just fine for now. searching Scooterworks, I see a $12 NCY screw. $12? for a screw and spring? + shipping? grr...

Anyone happen to know what it might be so I could hit the local hardware store and buy a proper replacement? Maybe I'll just leave the current one in there, but I like having the 'right' part :P.
ravenlore

Re: You're gonna laugh...

Post by ravenlore »

skully93 wrote: Whatever, it's God's screw now, lost to antiquity.
I only laughed because this was funny.
Syd

Post by Syd »

If the screw fits? Oh, wait a minute, I got sidetracked.

If the adjuster screw fits, take it to a local Ace Hardware. Ace (usually) has a bolt bin, so you can find a replacement. The bolt bin might even have springs.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
Scooterboi

Post by Scooterboi »

Evidently Scooter Works is justifiably proud of their selection of carburetor screws. I know from personal experience that you are not the first one this has happened to and that they are poised to take advantage of it.

The only thing I could think of that might make a difference is that it's stainless steel. I would also bet they have those at one of the various Big Box hardware stores. ;o) (Uhh . . . buy a couple.)

OK, I actually did lol in my cubicle thinking about the look on MY face when that happened. :lol: Time to go home.
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

skully93: How much for a screw?
Scooterworks: Twelve bucks, and no kissing.
Syd

Post by Syd »

I can't remember: is the spring to hold the idle screw in place? If so, maybe a nylon screw (isn't it really a bolt?) would work.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
jdanderson1449

Post by jdanderson1449 »

If you pull the carb, chances are that screw is nestled on the engine case right below where the carb hangs. It'll take some time to get it apart and back together but 12 bucks is ridiculous!
09 Blackjack (less than stock)
00 Suzuki SV650
69 Honda CL450 (sold)
skully93

Post by skully93 »

heh. knowing my fantastic mechanical ability, I'd probably harm something else. The $12 may be worth it.

I'm due for a service soon at the shop (I have a maintenance plan that I purchased with the scooter), and may see if they can order one in. Even if it still costs $12, I'd rather give it to them.
agrogod

Post by agrogod »

Does your shop have any old beater's its keeping around for parts? This could turn into a free fix. $12 would be better spent in the tank.
"When your mouth is yapping your arms stop flapping, get to work" - a quote from my father R.I.P..
always start with the simple, it may end up costing you little to nothing
Scooterboi

Post by Scooterboi »

Just checking but the screw fell outside the carb, right? not inside? Hate for you to suck a screw into your cylinder. :shock:
ravenlore

Post by ravenlore »

charlie55 wrote:skully93: How much for a screw?
+1 internets to you.
skully93

Post by skully93 »

Scooterboi wrote:Just checking but the screw fell outside the carb, right? not inside? Hate for you to suck a screw into your cylinder. :shock:
Yes indeed! the carb wasn't open or anything, otherwise I'd be freaking out. I'm 99% sure it's either under the carb or has flown out onto the street someplace.

I'm due to pick up shocks for the Kymco soon, I'll ask when I arrive. "uh..you..uhh...don't happen to have..uhh..an idle screw do you?"

They're used to me showing up asking for screws that I have misplaced. Which reminds me, I should show up with a case of beer to the Englewood shop. Sure, they have the parts laying around, but it's the convenience factor, and the fact that they have done several little freebies.
avonpirate

Post by avonpirate »

Hey Scully ... where did you buy a maintenance plan??? Can you share the details???
She with the most 'used' toys wins.

skully93

Post by skully93 »

Our local Sportique shop. I bought mine new, and they sell a 'plus plan' that gives you a discount on parts and free labor on most things for that bike. Though my local club membership also provides a non-stacking discount on purchases, they have honored it for parts for my Kymco as well, which often puts it well within the price range of ordering online.

I don't think you can buy it after the fact from them, but it wouldn't hurt to ask. I'm coming up on service #5, but I have bought 2 sets of tires from them (1 for each bike). They've always been quick to help with little stuff, and have had a lot of misc. screws/parts for me when I was like "I just need some stupid part, can you order it for me?"

At service #6 it will have paid for itself. the plan I bought is for 3 years, which means I have 2 left at this point. If I continue to do about 4-6 services per year, I will have more than paid for it.
Rob

Post by Rob »

charlie55 wrote:skully93: How much for a screw?
:D :D
I'll never be able to visit Scooterworks again without thinking about this.

Rob
"Sponges grow in the ocean. That just kills me. I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be if that didn't happen."
- Steven Wright
skully93

Post by skully93 »

heh. Sadly I will have to order from them. The shop can do it, and they didn't discourage me, but they didn't exactly look excited. I really don't blame them :P.
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

:rofl:
Riding is riding