My Buddy's Back!!!

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Skootz Kabootz

My Buddy's Back!!!

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

It's been 4 1/2 long months since I've ridden my Buddy (waiting for a gear oil leak to be repaired) and today, at loooong last it's fixed! I took it for a nice long ride, all is good as new, and it is running perfectly. Yeehaw! I'm back in the Buddy saddle again!

I have to say, after riding nothing but my GTS for all this time it really felt very different to ride the Buddy! Good, but different—even from what I remember. Really kinda weird to experience it anew as prior to the gear oil leak developing (seal went bad — or was worked to death) it had been a straight 5 years and 25,500+ miles of day in day out riding and constant abuse for the little scooter that could.

Now, as its reward for service rendered, the hard working little fella is being officially retired from the long distance torture I've put it through in the past and it will get to live the life of luxury and ease as my urban assault vehicle. Nothing but city riding from here on.

I can't actually coordinate bringing the scooter home until early next week, but I rode it, it's doing fine, and it is going to be so good to have it back in the stable ready for the next 25,000 miles!

Yay!

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

Woohoo! :mrgreen:
Christophers

Re: My Buddy's Back!!!

Post by Christophers »

Skootz Kabootz wrote:It's been 4 1/2 long months since I've ridden my Buddy (waiting for a gear oil leak to be repaired) and today, at loooong last it's fixed!

Yay!
Congratulations!

Coincidentally, I'm supposedly getting my Psycho back at the end of week. I hope your good news is a good omen for me!!! :-)
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

Christophers wrote:
Skootz Kabootz wrote:It's been 4 1/2 long months since I've ridden my Buddy (waiting for a gear oil leak to be repaired) and today, at loooong last it's fixed!

Yay!
Congratulations!

Coincidentally, I'm supposedly getting my Psycho back at the end of week. I hope your good news is a good omen for me!!! :-)
That will be great! Will you have it for Saturdays ride? I hope so. The boys at Scooter Service LA are getting caught up with all the overflow from the NoHo changes so I bet you'll have it back! Fingers are crossed.

I noticed a Psycho seat and pet carrier sitting in the shop today, I wonder if it was yours?

ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Congrats! How did it feel?
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

ericalm wrote:Congrats! How did it feel?
Good! Most notably of course I miss those extra 150cc's! I'll have to get used to the slower acceleration again. Other than that, it feels very small and light!! At first it felt almost like a toy compared to the heavier metal body GTS, but as I rode more I began getting used to it again.

Funny, when I was riding along opening it up to test the new seal I kept thinking "did I really used to go 85mph on this?? That is nuts!!". lol Guess I've lost my edge :)

One change is I definitely want to remove my passenger pegs now. I've become used to tucking my feet back on the GTS and now the pegs bug me.

Christophers

Post by Christophers »

Skootz Kabootz wrote:
That will be great! Will you have it for Saturdays ride? I hope so.
That's what I'm hoping!
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Glad to hear!
Skootz Kabootz wrote:I have to say, after riding nothing but my GTS for all this time it really felt very different to ride the Buddy! Good, but different—even from what I remember.
It's weird to hop on a Buddy after acclimating to a GTx-class Vespa, isn't it? As you say, it's all good but different even from what you remember. Again, congrats! :D
Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

Like James Brown would say, "Right on, right on"....
Syd

Post by Syd »

Now, as its reward for service rendered... it will get to live the life of luxury and ease as my urban assault vehicle. Nothing but city riding from here on.
City riding is luxury? :shock:

'Grats, Skootz
The majority is always sane - Nessus
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Skootz Kabootz wrote:One change is I definitely want to remove my passenger pegs now. I've become used to tucking my feet back on the GTS and now the pegs bug me.
Another convert to no pegs and yes windscreen!
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

ericalm wrote:
Skootz Kabootz wrote:One change is I definitely want to remove my passenger pegs now. I've become used to tucking my feet back on the GTS and now the pegs bug me.
Another convert to no pegs and yes windscreen!
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED.
lol No, still no windscreen for the Buddy (I do like the fly screen on the GTS though, looks good). I'm not sure what I'll do should I ever have a passenger. Really I should have a GTS stock seat for those occasions. That or the Buddy footpegs will just have to go back on. Not that it has been much of an issue to date. In 5 years I have carried a passenger... once!

skully93

Post by skully93 »

my wife and I often ride 2-up on the Buddy in the city. I can't say the brakes are really made for it (and even if they aren't totally shot, I will ask to have them replaced next service). We fit just fine, no pegs. I do have the crash bars though, so maybe that's where her feet go. I don't pay attention.