NSR Any one here try to walk daily?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

still shifting

NSR Any one here try to walk daily?

Post by still shifting »

I Attempt to walk daily, 5 miles a day, or 60 blocks or so, I don't of course manage it every day, but I certainly feel and see benefits from the endevor when I get out there a few days in a row. R
easy

Post by easy »

I used to I rode a chetak. Sorry I couldn't pass it up. I do miss it
what did you trade the day for?
skully93

Post by skully93 »

since I stopped teaching martial arts over a year ago, this is my bare minimum for exercise. I love to walk during lunch with my ipod on. an hour long walk is a great way to clear the head and get some much needed bloodflow. The rest of the time I pilot a desk.
still shifting

Post by still shifting »

easy wrote:I used to I rode a chetak. Sorry I couldn't pass it up. I do miss it
Yeah I expected that one, but if you want to talk about walking and pushing my experience with a Kymco Super 8 was the bench mark of that experience. Good thing It Was Under Warranty! I think the dealer still has it for sale. R
TVB

Post by TVB »

My health insurance requires me to walk every day. Because my BMI (weight in pounds divided by height in inches) is above an arbitrary round number, the only way I can qualify for the company insurance plan with the better coverage is to either join Weight Watchers, or to wear a pedometer and walk an arbitrary round number of steps every day. The last thing I want to do with my limited time is to sit in meetings talking about diets, so it has be option B. My job has me sitting on my ass most of the time, so I need to deliberately walk or run. I don't mind the activity, but carrying the damn pedometer around is a nuisance.
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

used to walk on the treadmill. rigorous walking. built up my legs, lost 60 pounds. its good no matter what sort of walking you do, however. good for you, i mean. i like to recommend as fast a clip as comfortable, though

i workout otherwise now. but walking is always great for those who can't do more or simply don't want to. one of the things i notice about myself from walking is that i no longer look for the closest parking spot, or even care. even when on scooter. i just think "well, i can walk." a little extra never hurt
Riding is riding
Quo Vadimus

Post by Quo Vadimus »

With the pug, I get walks every day except for (usually) one weekend day when the wife isn't too worn out by her running training. Of course, the pug maxes out around 1.7 miles, so I started adding weight to a backpack in order to up the intensity for me. So far it's working out pretty well, though I did have to buy some serious hiking boots to keep my feet happy.
rsrider

Post by rsrider »

I walk every day. IF I'm here and weather permits. I have a CA state park 5 miles away with miles of trail.

Interestingly enough, I've been taking my camera with me the past few days because the wild flowers are starting to bloom already. I decided to take a pic of the valley I live in, and here it is............I'm on the upper loop, a 4.2 mile fire road, looking south into the valley. There is a lower loop as well, that's 3.4 miles. And then there are miles and miles of interconnecting trails. So there is no lack of places to walk around here.

I'm hoping my knee is in good enough shape this spring so that I can start jogging a bit.
Using the internet for evil since 1994.
My Buddy125

Post by My Buddy125 »

I walk 2 miles every day. I also ride a bike 10 miles a day. I have a insde bike if the weather is bad.
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

Desk pilot, I like that term! I walk non-stop in a big oval all day! I sit on my booty and slack every chance I can. I work in a factory and have to keep things flowing, so I get little sit time. One day Im going to figure out roughly how far I walk, I do know its ALOT. Also ride bicycles. My girl got diagnosed with the start of diabetes, so we are both going to be hitting the pedals more.
dakotamouse

Post by dakotamouse »

I have a Fitbit pedometer that keeps track of how many steps, miles and flights of stairs I walk. I work as a lab tech in a rather large building that keeps me moving from one end to the other. My work day is an easy 5 miles. I also try to run 4 miles every other day and walk an extra 2 miles on my nonrun days.

When spring comes around I'll be putting some serious miles in on my Elliptigo bike. I'm traing for a fund raiser ride come Labor Day.
Ride what you like so you'll love to ride!
Scooterist Extraordinaire!
still shifting

Post by still shifting »

yes a pedometer is very handy and I do wear one occasionally. I bet your activity keeps you pretty fit. Today my 5 miles makes 5 days in a row. :clap: hey it is a start I once strung together 46 days. R
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

With the amount of walking, running and lifting I do during a typical show, I actually have my doctor telling me to do *less*. There is no shortage of cardiac activity here, both physical and stress related. And the scary part is that my position has less exertion than the general stagehands
"Earth" without Art is just "Eh"...

<a href="http://slowkidsscootergang.wordpress.com/">The Slow Kids Scooter Gang</a>
Scooterboi

Post by Scooterboi »

I also have a desk job but I do Heart Zone Training at home to get/keep in shape and take walks to recharge (15 min = 1mile) a couple of times during the work day. Starting to use some strength training moves on gym rings for core and upper because it seems everything is lower body. (attached)

Check out the Crossfit website. They have gyms you can join but the website has a ton on info and these guys are into results as cheap as possible and they are willing to share techniques and training. They also have many articles on how to get your own gym together CHEAP.

http://board.crossfit.com/index.php
Attachments

[The extension xls has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

_Heart Zone Training.doc
An explanation of what it is and how to apply it.
(86 KiB) Downloaded 57 times
Skippy

Post by Skippy »

I walk 2 miles every day and lost 65 pounds in a little over a year. Of course, I also watch what I eat, but definitely moving every day. No treadmill for me, I have a beautiful park with ponds and ducks and geese to look at. Good for you to do 5.
dakotamouse

Post by dakotamouse »

Skippy wrote:I walk 2 miles every day and lost 65 pounds in a little over a year. Of course, I also watch what I eat, but definitely moving every day. No treadmill for me, I have a beautiful park with ponds and ducks and geese to look at. Good for you to do 5.
You also live in California!! When the snow and weather cooperate I put in as many as 10 miles xcountry sking. As long as the wind isn't blowing hard I'll hit the trail even if it is 0 degrees.
Ride what you like so you'll love to ride!
Scooterist Extraordinaire!
BootScootin'FireFighter

Post by BootScootin'FireFighter »

the Mrs. and I try to walk a few times a week for a couple of miles. It's not a consistant routine, but it's part of "our time" and we find it refreshing. We also try to do all our local errands within 2 miles by foot, including going to the Golds Gym, about 1.5 miles each way. When the weather finally turns, it will probably become daily, and incorporate more day hikes. We're blessed with an abundance of pedestrian/bike paths in close proximity, that's a big plus.
still shifting

Post by still shifting »

Eight days in a row and counting. The Zoo with a pair of friends yesterday was a nice change of venue. R
Rob

Post by Rob »

I try to get in at least 2 miles per day. Not always possible, but I generally hit 4 to 5 days/wk. I'm in the maintain mode. As long as I'm stay where I'm at, I'm happy. Of course I have incentive .... if I don't maintain, I might have to give up something I love ... like beer! :D

Rob
"Sponges grow in the ocean. That just kills me. I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be if that didn't happen."
- Steven Wright