Hello again!

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

madtolive

Hello again!

Post by madtolive »

Hi everyone! It sure has been a minute since I hung around these parts. A few years ago I moved to Houston and sold the Zombie Blood Buddy. Its been sad to live scoot-free for 3 years, but I moved back to Austin this past October and I've got scooter fever.

I've been debating between the 170i and the Stella, both are drop dead gorgeous. My lazy self wants to go for the 170i since its so easy to just hop on and go, but my heart lusts for the Stella. I've just never driven a manual, and shifting is a bit daunting for me. I've already read tons of posts about this comparison, so now I just have to decide which I'm going to pull the trigger on.

Anywho, I just wanted to say hello to everyone. Its funny to feel like a newbie all over again, hehehe. So how is everyone? There's so many new members, where is everyone from, and what do ya'll drive?

P.S. I'm considering selling my car and relying solely on a scooter and public transportation. Anyone else out there live a car-less life that can offer some insight? I feel like most people react to this suggestion like i'm crazy, but I think its totally feasible. Am I just being optimistic and contrarian? :P
sunil: "And if you spend 40 dollars making a pizza then you sir are a retard."
ericalm: "No name calling, please. Maybe he's using truffles and top-grade meats."
GrittyTacoman

Post by GrittyTacoman »

Welcome back!

As far as scooter choice, don't think you can go wrong with the 170.

As I'm sure you know they're coming out with the auto Stella supposedly but it'll be longer than you'd want to wait, I think.
skully93

Post by skully93 »

As the kiddos would say, 'OH HAI!'

Welcome back!

I haven't driven the Stella, but it can't be that bad to shift. The 170i is also a sexy beast though....

Maybe you should see what is available?
Syd

Post by Syd »

Welcome back madtolive. I've been to Houston and I've been to Austin and I think you made a good choice. Hope it works for you.

As for your comparison, one thing to consider is that the Stella has more, uh, things, that could need attention; for example clutch and shifter cables. I don't think you can go wrong, but it is something to keep in mind.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
madtolive

Post by madtolive »

yeah, I'm going to spend some time at Urban Moto tomorrow to see what kind of inventory they've got. If all they've got is either one or the other then I suppose that makes my decision easier. :wink:

Syd - yeah I've thought about all the extra maintenance that comes with a Stella, and I'm not 100% sure dealing with all of that is up my alley. Especially the whole oil and gas mixture? I'm not even sure what all of that is about, to be honest.

Austin is a great town and it feels awesome to be back. Its quite hilly however, and I'm not sure how Stella performs not only in start-stop city traffic but also on inclines. Any insights?

But she's just so dang purty... :oops:

Also, has anyone had any contact with the old Austin Buddy gang, or anyone in SPAZ? I still have my old patch somewhere... :D
ericalm: "No name calling, please. Maybe he's using truffles and top-grade meats."
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

You get used to shifting. Eric has done some reporting on that subject.
My Stella will pop a wheelie is you're not careful and takes most our hillls
here in NGA in 4th. It is a solid ride. 8)
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

I can speak to the "scooter only" part of your question. I have been car free and scooter only for 5 years now. Personally I love it and can't imagine going back.

The upside is all the usual stuff, it's inexpensive, fun, fun, fun and fun. You will make a few adjustments as far as planning grocery shopping and such goes, but really it is no big deal. I still go to Costco when needed, I can do a weeks worth of food shopping in one trip, and for larger items that are beyond carrying on a scooter, I just order on-line and have them delivered.

When I have a guest visiting or for some other reason I absolutely must have a car, I rent. It is so much cheaper than owning! But as it's turned out so far I have only had to do this three times in 5 years.

The down side of being scooter only... if you need to go somewhere and it is raining, or freezing cold, or something else unpleasant, you have to deal with it. Buying the right gear goes a long way towards coping with this. I have really excellent rain gear and really excellent cold weather gear, and a great reflective vest for riding at night.

Probably the most thorny issue for me are the days when you just don't feel up to riding because you are tired, not focused, or for whatever reason just not in an ideal state of mind for safe riding — the days when given the choice you would rather not ride at all. You still must somehow manage to be alert safety aware when riding on those days. I think everyone must find their own constructive way to deal with those days. Personally I feel lucky because I work from home so I most often can find a way to avoid riding on those days. But not always. So I'll pick a route with less traffic, avoid riding in rush hour, plan rest stops along the way, whatever it takes. Often I end up feeling better and getting into it along the way.

In summary, I'd say it is 90% good stuff to 10% PITA stuff and I would never go back. Hope that helps!

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
Syd

Post by Syd »

madtolive wrote:...Especially the whole oil and gas mixture? I'm not even sure what all of that is about, to be honest...
You have been away for a while, haven't you? A couple years ago Genuine released (imported) a four stroke Stella. Same great looks, same shifty transmission, 4T torque, longevity, and no oil mixing. The best of both worlds!
The majority is always sane - Nessus
madtolive

Post by madtolive »

skootz: i've looked into what its like to not have a car in austin, and honestly it really doesn't seem as daunting as i first thought it might be. everything you've said sounds pretty much spot on, and its really encouraged me to go for it. i'm considering not using my car for a month after getting the scooter just to see what itd really be like and if i could really swing it.

but yeah, riding when your brain feels foggy is probably what would deter me the most. here we have the Car2Go program, which is basically a slew of smart cars around town that you can "rent" for a few hours using an app on your iphone. i'd likely depend on that program for days when my head's just not into riding, or on the days i want to take my dog to the park.

this consideration is what ultimately convinced me that the stella was probably not the way to go for me right now. there's just so many different things to keep on your mind in terms of shifting and i'm a horrible multitasker.

i went to urban moto the other day, they're getting the 170o in two weeks, but i swear to god that zombie blood color kept catching my eye...
z20k

Post by z20k »

I live in Austin, and while I have a car, I rarely ever use it (only if it's raining and cold, one or the other is fine.)
Oh, so they have internet on computers now!
skully93

Post by skully93 »

it gets cold in Austin?
z20k

Post by z20k »

Haha, yes - this past winter has been pretty cold (by Texas standards, anyways - lows in the 20s.)
madtolive

Post by madtolive »

z20k wrote:Haha, yes - this past winter has been pretty cold (by Texas standards, anyways - lows in the 20s.)
seriously. this week's weather has been completely schizo. hopefully it means the drought won't be too bad this summer.

x20k: so do you mostly get around on your scooter? what part of town do you live and work, out of curiosity?

i live in 78704, and work up north at the domain BUT i'm getting laid off in april ( :cry: or :D ? i don't know. i'm mostly like :roll: about it) so i've got my fingers crossed that i'll find a job nearby and that my jetta, although much loved, will become obsolete.
z20k

Post by z20k »

I'm in 78704, too and work in 78744. Right this very second my Buddy is being worked on, and getting new tires so I'm riding my 50cc Piaggio LT around. My Buddy has unfortunately has some really weird issues since putting the 161 kit on. :?
skipper20

Re: Hello again!

Post by skipper20 »

madtolive wrote:Hi everyone! It sure has been a minute since I hung around these parts. A few years ago I moved to Houston and sold the Zombie Blood Buddy. Its been sad to live scoot-free for 3 years, but I moved back to Austin this past October and I've got scooter fever.

I've been debating between the 170i and the Stella, both are drop dead gorgeous. My lazy self wants to go for the 170i since its so easy to just hop on and go, but my heart lusts for the Stella. I've just never driven a manual, and shifting is a bit daunting for me.
I'd go with the 170i. Not because I don't like the Stella (it is a beautiful scoot) but after owning a vintage Vespa P200E and a Honda Passport c70, both with manual transmissions, I just could not get comfortable with manual shifting whether it was 4 speeds on the left hand grip of the P200E (same as the Stella) or the 3 speed heel/toe shifting of the Passport. It just didn't work for me. So, I sold both and my latest ride is a 2012 170i Italia. I am really enjoying it. So, if you think manual shifting might be daunting, insist on a Stella test ride and see for yourself. If you're the least bit uncomfortable with it, go for the 170i. You won't regret it.

Bill in AZ but wintering in AZ
'12 170i Italia "The Olive Pit"
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

OMG, welcome back! And congrats on getting back to Austin. :)

So, contrary to what skipper20 just posted, I commute on a Stella almost every day now and LOVE it. It's slower than my other (non-shifty) scooter, doesn't take hills as well and is ridiculously fun to ride. I was afraid that I'd hate shifting in stop-start rush hour traffic (as I do in a car). Nope. I've also had a chance to ride some bigger, faster, much more expensive scoots… really nice ones… and I love getting back on my Stella.

It's not as "bulletproof" and problem free as a Buddy, though. I haven't had issues with mine other than a blown fuse, but others have had some (mostly small) issues with electrics and wiring.

Also, if you're patient, the automatic transmission Stella is coming sometime next year.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

So zombie blood does return from the dead! :mrgreen:

My suggestion....find a used Buddy 125 or 150 and save a few grand.
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
madtolive

Post by madtolive »

ericalm wrote:OMG, welcome back! And congrats on getting back to Austin. :)

Also, if you're patient, the automatic transmission Stella is coming sometime next year.
Hi eric!! :D

Both of you guys make great arguments for and against the stella, i guess it really just comes down to personal preference. I think once ive got cash in hand and its time to pull the trigger ill ask the guys to let me ride around on a stella so i can get an idea of what thatd be like. At this point i feel like ill likely get the 170 and then next year add an automatic stella :wink:

I told my mom that when she and my dad retire im getting a sidecar, piling them in and zipping them around the wine country. If i can catch them first!

And yes buddyraton, zombie blood has a penchant for reanimation! Hehe.