All things Genuine Blur

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Stoney rs

Blur 220 mods

Post by Stoney rs »

Has anyone done any performance mods to their blur 220
bcgreaf

Post by bcgreaf »

There really isnt much out there for us in the united states... but over sea's is a different story. We just cant get the parts over here for some reason.
Stoney rs

Post by Stoney rs »

I have a Mercedes and and have stuff for it overseas.
I just don't understand why it's so hard to do the same for this scooter.I would like for mine to turn 10,200 rpms.[/b]
Mikie M.

Post by Mikie M. »

There are no performance mods, other than variator weights and the adaptation of a HiT clutch. The folks at Genuine (PGO) dropped the ball bigtime on this one.
No, wait a minute, there's a small luggage rack available. Does that count?
Stoney rs

Post by Stoney rs »

I was wandering has anyone seen a blur while out riding theirs. I haven't I guess it's going to be hard to get performance parts if not enough of them are sold. I feel genuine has a good thing here but they need to advertise if not I bet they will stop importing it again.
Rippinyarn

Post by Rippinyarn »

Part of it is the warrantee question - any internal engine mods will remove the warranty for the engine, and I think that people with a new scooter aren't likely to mess about at least until the warranty period is up. Too bad it's two years, eh?

Part of it is that the scooter is about as high performance as it's going to get. Sure you can add a HiT clutch and lower weight slider/roller weights, but even a "performance" exhaust isn't going to do a LOT with the engine in it's current configuration. The 4t engine doesn't respond as well as a 2t to a well engineered exhaust, i.e. a significant power increase. It will reduce weight and may sound/look better and that's why I'm interested in one and have told Genuine about my interest and cost limitations (over $250 and it's not going to happen, and it might not happen at that $ either).

I have some 13.5 gram Dr. Pulley sliders sitting on the shelf, but I've already done what is probably the biggest available current performance mod (changed the tires) and I'm very happy with their influence on the performance of the scoot. Reducing weight is a target and I'm working on that (diet and delete side stand time), but other than the sliders and eventually going with a different brake pad, what else can reasonably be expected for the Blur from Taiwan or Genuine/Prima? I have the rear rack and the windshield, and just last weekend I installed a pair of generic heated grips.

We have to justify a market for this stuff before someone will plunk down the major $ to build or import performance parts for such a rare scooter. What would you want for accessories for the Blur?
Rovers SC
Check out the latest at scooterfile.com
Stoney rs

Post by Stoney rs »

Far as accessories go maybe a solo type seat kind of like on the blackjack. I don't have much complaint bout the seat but it would be nice to be able to set back or just have more space. What I would really like to see is a better windshield. Something wider and maybe curve under the headset or fit closer to block the air between it and windsheild. I have the blur windsheild and the way air comes up behind it is annoying it sholud have been designed better. I would to see something on the style of the puig 992.
Rippinyarn

Post by Rippinyarn »

Stoney rs wrote:What I would really like to see is a better windshield. Something wider and maybe curve under the headset or fit closer to block the air between it and windsheild. I have the blur windsheild and the way air comes up behind it is annoying it sholud have been designed better. I would to see something on the style of the puig 992.
I with you on that, and have told Genuine about it too. I want some hand coverage too.

I also cut a 1" piece of foam in a round-bottomed triangle and fit it between the windscreen and the headset (stuck a little piece of Velcro on each surface to hold it there) and reduced the noise/buffetting quite a bit. I have to make another one as this one is turning to powder :roll: I should use closed-cell foam this time.
Rovers SC
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

I wouldn't mind finding an adjustable rear shock and stiffer front shock with a bit more dampening.
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
Lil Buddy

Post by Lil Buddy »

Nothing to increase your top end or smooth out that rear shock, but a few items <A HREF="http://voodooscooterparts.com/Voodoo_Products.html">here</A> will make you look better getting where you're going.
Last edited by Lil Buddy on Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
viney266

Post by viney266 »

Yeah, I"ve ridden a friends, and it NEEDS a better rear shock!
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
Stoney rs

Post by Stoney rs »

I have my dead lights to function as runing lights but thought of adding grip warmers for the winter. How well do they work can the alternator handle it ok. Have you or anybody here owned the blur over the winter was there problem with starting it.
Lil Buddy

Post by Lil Buddy »

I don't have a Blur but I know some Buddy owners have added grip warmers. One owner has his running lights on a switch. He turns them off when he uses the grip warmers. Then uses a battery tender to keep the battery topped off.
Rippinyarn

Post by Rippinyarn »

I rode all last winter (with battery heated gloves - garbage) and the Blur started very well every time. I'll let you know how it goes with my new heated grips that I installed a couple of weeks ago. Quick advice is to get a one-piece suit, that thing rocks. The worst problem was keeping the visor clear. That and the super wet and snowy winter that we had from January to the middle of March :shock:

Funny story - The Monday after I installed them, I had my new grips on "High" and was cruising down Woodward, happy as a clam, when suddenly the scent of burning rubber filled my helmet! I looked around the legshield and in a panic began to plan my move to the right to pull over and what I would do when I got there! Just as I was about to move I realized that I was catching up on a new Cadillac with smoke absolutely shooting out of the front left wheel well. Yup, it was a flat and the gal driving it wasn't slowing much if at all. I moved over and passed her just as she pulled over to the left with the shredded tire dragging, chunks shooting out and still smoking. I reached down and turned off my grips, now confident that they are working just fine.
Rovers SC
Stoney rs

Post by Stoney rs »

That was funny glad you didn't have a problem. The one piece suit I will remember thinks for the tip.
Primal

Post by Primal »

Think the predicament isn't in finding performance parts, but finding parts at all. The guys I bought my scooter from went out of business and the guys who picked up the genuine contract are just about as far away from me as they can be. On top of that, every time I take my scoot over there I don't see it for a few months (cause they can't get the parts either)...

When the Blur runs great, it runs great; but when it doesn't run great it's not worth riding...

I'm seriously considering putting that 220cc engine on my Ruckus...