2007 stebel install nightmare

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

dannyW

2007 stebel install nightmare

Post by dannyW »

i have a 2007 buddy 125

and i can't figure out how this stebel nautical airhorn fits in the front of this buddy...

can someone post a pic or show me where to shove this thing?????

i can't figure it out for the life of Brian......

help!
scullyfu

Post by scullyfu »

hope this works for you, danny. :)

viewtopic.php?t=917
WE'RE GOING THE WRONG WAY!!! Starbuck, BSG
dannyW

Post by dannyW »

no pictures of how a stebel fits into the 2007 buddy..... in that thread....

i tried every possble mount.

if people are just shoivng the thing in there and slamming the plastic on, I couldn't even do that!
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

dannyW wrote:no pictures of how a stebel fits into the 2007 buddy..... in that thread....

i tried every possble mount.

if people are just shoivng the thing in there and slamming the plastic on, I couldn't even do that!
Try sending a PM to lobsterman and asking him. He's done the install. If you get it in, can you take a pic to share with those who haven't tried this yet?
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

I searched and searched and couldn't find a picture that showed the placement of the horn. My memory must be failing because I clearly remember seeing such a photo at one point. :roll: If you get one, let's make sure we add it to the Stebel Install thread in the Technical Library section.
weaseltamer

Post by weaseltamer »

i should be getting mine in within the next few weeks, i'll snap ap pic right before we close her up.
rickyd410

Post by rickyd410 »

jrsjr wrote:I searched and searched and couldn't find a picture that showed the placement of the horn. My memory must be failing because I clearly remember seeing such a photo at one point. :roll: If you get one, let's make sure we add it to the Stebel Install thread in the Technical Library section.
I think at one point, there was a nice little tutuorial on how to install one. But I believe the admins got rid of them and the author. :roll:
dannyW

Post by dannyW »

i think the 2007 must have a smaller "chest"

i went all monster garage on this thing and still couldn't fit it with out forcing the front back on .......

i might just sell it, and then buy a shot gun adn fill it with blanks.

then when some one cuts me off.

KABLOOEY

actually thats probably a bad idea.
lobsterman

Post by lobsterman »

I have a 2006, though I don't know if it matters. Maybe they used some of the space in there for the emergency blinkers and cell charger socket.

My digital camera is dead and not yet replaced. I will see if I can maybe open the scooter up tonight and get a picture somehow.
Kevin
AYPWIP?
scootsmith

Stebel Horn install

Post by scootsmith »

There are instructions on Mondern Vespa - it is for the LX 150. It may help you out.
dannyW

Post by dannyW »

the 2007 buddy has the 18v outlet and a pretty big compartment that goes into the chest cavity of the buddy, is that the same on a 2006... anyone????
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

dannyW wrote:the 2007 buddy has the 18v outlet and a pretty big compartment that goes into the chest cavity of the buddy, is that the same on a 2006... anyone????
It's a 12v outlet, right? The '06 does not have that, which may account for the difference in space.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
dannyW

Post by dannyW »

that has to be it...

i'll put this one up for sale and just get a smaller horn like the one in the "getting louder" thread that is at elast louder then this little guy.
captaintg

Post by captaintg »

It wasn't easy, but I managed to fit the stebel into my '07. It was a while ago, but I remember having to bend the bracket that the stock horn was attached to. Good luck.
dannyW

Post by dannyW »

could you take a pic for me?

please???

it takes, what, 10 seconds to take the front off of a buddy?
Bryce-O-Rama

Post by Bryce-O-Rama »

rickyd410 wrote:I think at one point, there was a nice little tutuorial on how to install one. But I believe the admins got rid of them and the author. :roll:
For which you should be eternally grateful. There was some janky info in that "tutorial".
- Bryce
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Bryce-O-Rama wrote:
rickyd410 wrote:I think at one point, there was a nice little tutuorial on how to install one. But I believe the admins got rid of them and the author. :roll:
For which you should be eternally grateful. There was some janky info in that "tutorial".
Janky! Just the word I was looking for!
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Can somebody clue me in on why the space for the horn is smaller on the 2007? I mean, is the bracket different, or is the body-panel shaped differently or what? Inqiuring mindz want to know.

Thanks!
lojical1

Post by lojical1 »

I have an 07 and the stebel fit. It was suggested that u move the relay out of the way and place it there. This horn is the best mod we could have done and has saved me in ways the stock horn couldnt manage. Have a bit more patience, its worth it.
"I'm not going there to die. I'm going to find out if I'm really alive."
-Spike Spiegel

If ur not scared u aint drivin' fast enough .
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

jrsjr wrote:Can somebody clue me in on why the space for the horn is smaller on the 2007? I mean, is the bracket different, or is the body-panel shaped differently or what? Inqiuring mindz want to know.

Thanks!
Sounds like the housing for the 12v outlet takes up a lot of space... :?:
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

More Cowbell!

Post by jrsjr »

Now I get it. I was just being dense (again). :roll: I need to go take a look at an 07 so I can visualize this. My gut instinct is that it will probably be easiest to relocate the 12V outlet, but I can't say where w/out lookin hard at that "housing" you refer to. What a pain. I really didn't think it would be necessary to go all Monster Garage on the new Buddys just to shoehorn a Stebel Horn in there.

On the other hand...

If it's any consolation, I've recently learned that Harley motocycles have a very similar problem. You know the "cowbell" on the side of a Harley? That's actually where the horn is located and it's too %$#@ small for the Stebel horn. As somebody joked, "What we need here is more cowbell!" And the funny thing is, that's exactly what happened. A company came up with a bigger, flatter cowbell with the Stebel horn mounted inside. Bolts right up on the Harleys. :?

Mo' Cowbell!
Last edited by jrsjr on Thu Oct 04, 2007 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
dannyW

Post by dannyW »

lojical1 wrote:I have an 07 and the stebel fit. It was suggested that u move the relay out of the way and place it there. This horn is the best mod we could have done and has saved me in ways the stock horn couldnt manage. Have a bit more patience, its worth it.
my kingdom for a pic !!!!!!!!