Need some help choosing my first scooter

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

IndyScooter

Need some help choosing my first scooter

Post by IndyScooter »

Hi all,

I've always thought about the idea and now I'm choosing to get my first scooter. I've done a little research and that's what brings me here. I'm looking for a used scooter and b/c I'm right around 200 lbs and plan to ride at 45 mph and under, a 150 cc appears to be my best bet. My problem is I don't know one scooter on craigslist from the next. I thought about posting links here to scooters I'm interested in and gather some feedback from those folks in the know.

Thanks in advance for any help! Here are some links I saw that interested me:

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/mcy/3652502329.html

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/mcy/3620073854.html

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/mcy/3640671568.html

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/mcd/3658633931.html

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/mcy/3651978231.html

Thanks for your help, it's appreciated!
tortoise

Re: Need some help choosing my first scooter

Post by tortoise »

IndyScooter wrote:I've done a little research
These "help me choose" queries are ALWAYS an exercise in futility! How about actually doing some worthwhile research? Not all that hard considering the abundance of on-line reviews and information, including YouTube.

Example
ravenlore

Post by ravenlore »

I'd go with the Bet&Win with the People a second. Can't go wrong with having a lil extra oomph.

Kymcos are good stuff.
IndyScooter

Post by IndyScooter »

Easy there tortoise, it's been years since I posted on a message board, good to know guys like you still exist. This IS part of my "worthwhile" research, get real-life responses from what appers to be a pretty active message board, hence the first few responses within 30 minutes, thanks Ravenlore.
skully93

Post by skully93 »

I'd go with Ravenlore's advice on those.

The others are 'china' scoots that are off brand. While steering clear of declaring them all piles of junk, I refer to the fact that almost all local dealers I know of either refuse to work on them or make you sign a waiver first that states it probably won't last a long time.

Kymco on the other hand is a Honda based company, and still make parts for several big name motorcycles/scooters as well as their own. Parts can be obtained readily either locally or via the internet, and the support community tends to be decent.

Are there any other local dealers that sell scoots that might have some you could look at?
ravenlore

Post by ravenlore »

Here's the other thing about chinascoots(I own/ed one and can speak from firsthand experience)

They're a bit anemic. The gusto just isn't there. I'd bet a perky kymco, genuine, or piaggio 125 would outperform a stock gy6 150.
Syd

Post by Syd »

I figure if it's a modern scoot, and the guy isn't willing to list (or doesn't know) the manufacturer name in the ad, it's probably not worth the look.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

I'd skip the second one. That's a Chinese knockoff of a Honda scooter called the Joker (not sold in the USA). I'd skip the 3rd one, too. It's a Chinese clone that you won't be able to get support for. I'd skip the 5th one, the trike, because those are well-known to be tip-over hazards.

The 4th one, the Kymco People 200, is actually a 163cc machine. It will do the job. I knew a guy who had one and he traded up because he was a little disappointed with the performance. He was expecting the performance of a 200cc machine because it says it's a 200, right? Still, it's not a bad option. You could do worse.

That leaves the first one, the Kymco B&W 250. The Bet&Win 250 was never popular here in the US, for some reason. I like them. It has the same motor as the Kymco People 250 from that time period and they are strong and reliable. I've seen an ignition module go on one but they just replaced it didn't have any further problems. They do vibrate a little, especially until they are broken in. Of the scooters you presented as options, that would be my choice.

Hope this helps.
Howardr

Post by Howardr »

+1 to the above selections.

May I add: http://kokomo.craigslist.org/mcy/3630184569.html - The Reflex is a great scooter.

I also found this: http://fortwayne.craigslist.org/mcd/3658532798.html If I found a 125 or 250cc Elite around here, I would be all over it. Most comfortable scooter I have ever ridden.

Howard
Iron Butt Association Member Number 42256
Club - The Sky Island Riders.
Publisher: The Scooter 'Zine thescooterzine.com
theflash784

Help with scooter

Post by theflash784 »

You can read reviews, check out web sites, read books and mags but you also need to see a few scooters in person. You need to sit on them to see if they will be a comfortable fit, you can move it around, get if on and off the stand, etc. I made the mistake when I bought my first scooter off ebay without ever seeing one in person. I bought a Vespa 250 but when I finally saw it, I realized it was too big and heavy for me. I only rode it twice and then sold it the following spring and bought my Buddy 125 after doing to a dealer and sitting on several. I am very happy with the Buddy- much more than I ever was with the larger scooter.
Dooglas

Re: Help with scooter

Post by Dooglas »

theflash784 wrote:I bought a Vespa 250 but when I finally saw it, I realized it was too big and heavy for me. I only rode it twice and then sold it the following spring and bought my Buddy 125 after doing to a dealer and sitting on several. I am very happy with the Buddy- much more than I ever was with the larger scooter.
Proving how much choosing a scooter is a personal choice and a personal decision. The Buddy is a fine scooter and a 125/150/170 is certainly worth serious consideration. The 125 Buddy is a good bargain and mine has served my partner and I well. On the other hand, I believe that the 250/300 GTS Vespa is probably the best classic-design scooter ever built and the main reason not to own one would be if it was beyond your budget (or the seat was too high for a shorter rider - even there the seat can be lowered). This clearly shows that my opinion isn't the only one out there :wink: .
Rob

Post by Rob »

IndyScooter wrote:Easy there tortoise, it's been years since I posted on a message board, good to know guys like you still exist. This IS part of my "worthwhile" research, get real-life responses from what appers to be a pretty active message board, hence the first few responses within 30 minutes, thanks Ravenlore.
You have him pegged pretty well. Immature dude who looks to call attention to himself. He's likely not long for the MB world.

Good luck with the scoot purchase.

Rob
"Sponges grow in the ocean. That just kills me. I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be if that didn't happen."
- Steven Wright
ericalm
Site Admin

Re: Need some help choosing my first scooter

Post by ericalm »

tortoise wrote:
IndyScooter wrote:I've done a little research
These "help me choose" queries are ALWAYS an exercise in futility! How about actually doing some worthwhile research? Not all that hard considering the abundance of on-line reviews and information, including YouTube.

Example
Curb the attitude. You've been rather hostile to members in several recent posts when it's been unwarranted and unprovoked. If you want to help someone, start with considering your tone before posting.

We'll indulge some crankiness, but it's becoming all-too frequent.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
IndyScooter

Post by IndyScooter »

Thank you everyone, I appreciate it. Are the prices listed on the 2 Kymco's reasonable?
IndyScooter

Post by IndyScooter »

Howard- no hesitation on a 29 year old scooter? As a newbie, even the 2005 Kymco has me a little nervous about longevity issues.
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

Thank you, Eric, well said! I would add that from personal experience
I would avoid the trike.
skully93

Post by skully93 »

IndyScooter wrote:Howard- no hesitation on a 29 year old scooter? As a newbie, even the 2005 Kymco has me a little nervous about longevity issues.
Heh. Many of our riders ride 40+ year old scoots!

Though we didn't really start getting a lot of Kymco scoots here until the past decade, they have a very long history in many places. They share many parts with Honda engines, and are easy to maintain/get parts for (unless you have my people 250, where everyone tries to sell you parts for the S250, but I digress....).

It's really all about how it has been maintained. My kymco was neglected until the last owner, who took good care of it. I have had to replace a lot of bits and bobs, and chosen to do more for performance reasons. That being said, I have 40,000 KM on the beast, and it pulls just fine. Between the cost of buying it and the cost of replacing everything, it was still a great deal.

There are TONS of old hondas around. early 80's on up. A local sold his '86 Helix with 35000 miles on it, and people were offering more than he was asking in an effort to outbid each other.

If you're looking at used, you will want to know:

1)can I service it myself?
2) can I get it serviced fairly close by?
3) are parts somewhat available?

New, obviously these issues are not of immediate concern, but still important. They just come with warranties from all the good manufacturers. Most brand-name scooters die from neglect or accidents, not from wearing out.
ravenlore

Post by ravenlore »

IMHO both of those Kymcos are appropriately priced. Neither of them has as many miles on them as I put on in one year.
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

Before committing to a Kymco, give some of the other brands a look. Don't get me wrong: Kymco makes a great scooter (I know: My daily rider is an Agility 125 and it's one of the best urban bikes on the market, regardless that it's also one of the best values out there).

-Honda PCX 150/125. May be a bit out of your price range, but it's fuel injected, bulletproof and you will have that Honda dealer and parts network which helps since scooters are not as supported in general in the US

-SYM: Taiwanese company that, like Kymco, Produced MANY bikes for Honda for decades. Their dealer network is going through a rebuild but their bikes are quite affordable and you get a ton for the money. And, they even have a Honda Super Cub version called the Symba that's pretty cool... but that's my opinion. There are a few riders of the SYM Fiddle II that love the bike

-Piaggio scooters seem to be able to be had for a decent price if you keep your eye open. As the parent company of Vespa, they use all of the same drivelines and engines of their steel-bodied luxury scoots, but in more modern, plastic bodied chassis. The Fly 150 is a great urban commuter choice that can be had for a good price used if you keep your eyes open, and the engine in that is well proven.

-If you look at Yamaha, check out the Zuma 125. The Vino 125 is a bit anemic and is probably the slowest of he 125/150 scooters out there. Both are bulletproof machines as any Japanese bike will be but they also tend to hold their value better than some.

Key brands to stay away from:
-Bali
-Roketa
-Italjet (used to be a high end Italian scooter, but went bankrupt and there are now a few Chinese bikes with the name only...steer clear either way)
-Dong Fang
-Tao Tao

Some are pretty obvious, but many will use taglines like "Made by Honda" or "Uses Honda engines". If it doesn't say Honda on it... forget it.
"Earth" without Art is just "Eh"...

<a href="http://slowkidsscootergang.wordpress.com/">The Slow Kids Scooter Gang</a>
ScooterMASS

Post by ScooterMASS »

I owned the Kymco People S200 (same color as well) for 4 years & I loved it! It was damn-near bullet-proof! As another poster mentioned...it's really 163cc, carb, air-cooled engine, but don't let that fool you. It would cruise @ 55MPH all day long & top off @ around 63-64MPH depending on your size. Fit & finish is top-notch as well (made in Taiwan)

The only issue I ever had was my speedometer cable broke. No biggie ($35.00 part) It's faster then a Buddy 125 easy. You'll love those nice 16" wheels @ 45+MPH as well. If you can get it for say $1500.00...Don't look back! That's a GREAT scooter for the coin. Stay away from any Chinese made scooters (with the exception of Bintelli) Go with Genuine (Buddy), Kymco, SYM & to a lesser extent TGB. Can't go wrong with a used Honda, Yamaha & Suzuki either. Good Luck!

If you like the look of the Yamaha Zuma...Bintelli scooters makes a very nice knock-off here:

http://www.bintelli.com/150cc/havoc-150cc

Bintelli Havoc Pictures:

http://www.bintelli.com/150cc/havoc-150 ... cc-gallery
skully93

Post by skully93 »

All great suggestions!

the new honda PCX 150 is really nice. They want a mine for them, but if you can find the sh150 those are fantastic too.

Overall there are lots of great deals if you are patient. I tend to be very 'dynamic' in my decisions and being impulsive has bit me in the butt more than once on a purchase. if you have cash in hand, wait for the right deal and you'll be pleased with any of these suggestions.
Rush

Post by Rush »

Check out my Blur in Cincinnati.

topic23613.html
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Lokky

Post by Lokky »

IndyScooter wrote:Howard- no hesitation on a 29 year old scooter? As a newbie, even the 2005 Kymco has me a little nervous about longevity issues.
Those Hondas are bulletproof. I have a friend with three different elites and never heard him complain.
remhed

Post by remhed »

Go to Speed City Scooters on 16th St. in Indy/Speedway. You'll be able to ride some different brands and see what you like. He carries Vespa, Genuine, and Kymco and might have some used other names...
Steve Johnson
Carmel, In
IndyScooter

Post by IndyScooter »

Thanks for all the advice, help & suggestions. I ended up buying an '84 Honda Elite that Howard suggested in a previous post.
Howardr

Post by Howardr »

So, Indy. I hope I didn't steer you wrong. How are you liking that Elite? I hope you get many more miles of smiles from it.

Howard
Iron Butt Association Member Number 42256
Club - The Sky Island Riders.
Publisher: The Scooter 'Zine thescooterzine.com