Where can you park a 50cc scooter?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Sir Gillies

Where can you park a 50cc scooter?

Post by Sir Gillies »

Hello everyone,

I have just moved to Atlanta from Italy and I have bought a 50cc scooter.

The issue I am having is that I can't find out what the law is in terms of where I can park without getting a ticket. Can I park anywhere, even on the sidewalk? Or do I have to take up a full car space and pay parking tickets?

This is quite an issue at Emory University hospital where I work, because I haven't been able to find a motorbike area. I have identified areas where people put their bycycles but I'm not sure if can park my scooter.

My question refers to both the university hospital setting and on any street.
Thanks a lot in advance for your help!
climbamt

Post by climbamt »

I think it really depends on your local laws. I often park my 50cc on the sidewalk in Baltimore. I turn the motor off and push it up, so as to raise less concerns. I often use bike racks to lock the scooter to, and have had no issues. I would check with the hospital security and the local police force.
TVB

Post by TVB »

You'll have to consult Atlanta ordinances (for public roads) and university policies (for campus property) for an answer, since that's where parking rules are usually made.

I generally park my scooter (also 50cc) in regular car spaces. Around here, at least, they're convenient enough. I figure it takes up as much space as a 125cc or even 250cc scooter, so even if it's permitted to park it elsewhere like a bicycle, it might not be appreciated.
skipper20

Re: Where can you park a 50cc scooter?

Post by skipper20 »

Sir Gillies wrote:Hello everyone,

I have just moved to Atlanta from Italy and I have bought a 50cc scooter.

The issue I am having is that I can't find out what the law is in terms of where I can park without getting a ticket. Can I park anywhere, even on the sidewalk? Or do I have to take up a full car space and pay parking tickets?

This is quite an issue at Emory University hospital where I work, because I haven't been able to find a motorbike area. I have identified areas where people put their bycycles but I'm not sure if can park my scooter.

My question refers to both the university hospital setting and on any street.
Thanks a lot in advance for your help!
Well, I'm thinking you could check with the Emory University Hospital Security dept. to see what their policies are and then the local Police/Traffic dept. for city street and/or sidewalk parking policy. That should eliminate all the guesswork.

Bill in Seattle but wintering in AZ
Uncle Groucho

Post by Uncle Groucho »

Welcome to Atlanta! So what kind of scoot did you get?

Never hurts to ask the Emory cops; you should see more scoots around the campus especially as the weather gets warmer. For parking decks, you may want to ask the attendants on duty if you can just scoot around the arm without paying. If so, look for a small area close to elevators where people won't try to cram in near a pillar. If you do take a spot, make sure it's visible if someone tries to pull in so you don't come back to find your scoot on the ground with scratches all over it.

For parking around Emory/Atlanta, 50cc scoots can usually park near bike racks but a lot of MBers have had issues with folks chaining bikes to their scoot either in a misguided protest or thought that a 250lb scoot is some kind of magic bike-theft deterrent.

Good luck!
"Why is it every time I need to get somewhere, we get waylaid by jackassery?"