What is your top speed? Need to know.

All things Genuine Blur

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Third Eye

What is your top speed? Need to know.

Post by Third Eye »

Hi again!
I have now put around 600 miles on my new scooter, and i have done service whit new engine and transmission oil.

After 200 miles of calm and easy driving according to the manual i started to test the top speed for short times. Both before and after the service my top speed stays the same...absolutely max 65 mph?

Today on this forum i have seen top speeds like 80 mph´s?

Is this normal? Do i need to wait another 2-300 miles before it looses up?

From the first time i tested the top speed until now, in different temps and weather it stays the same?

I´m really worried:-/
Kawasaki GPZ1000rx -87 --> 50cc unrestricted Baotian Classic scooter -07 --> Lifan 125cc scooter -05 and now a PGO G-max 220 EFI -12
Edwub

Post by Edwub »

According to Genuine (http://www.genuinescooters.com/blur.html#Specs): Top Speed 75 mph est.

Below 1000 miles, the highest I got it to was 72 indicated.
Closer to 2000 miles, I've gone up to 76, indicated.

But I'm a heavy guy, full armored jacket, modular helmet, + transporting work stuff. I was riding in a normal riding position and no windshield. Poor pavement with cross wind on both attempts. I'm pretty sure I could go faster if there was a stretch of nicely paved road, without the highway traffic winds buffeting me around.

I've never used a GPS to gauge how accurate my speedometer is, but if it's optimistic by...

5% 76mph indicated = 72mph actual
10% 76 mph indicated = 69mph actual
15% 76 mph indicated = 66mph actual.

It seems like most people are below 10% off, so with the aforementioned variables affecting me and a stated 75mph top speed, that seems about right.

I can now cruise at 72mph indicated (where as before 1k miles was my "top") so I think with only 600 miles on your scoot, you have plenty of room left for it to open up!
DCUNITED4LIFE

Post by DCUNITED4LIFE »

I got 82mph indicated on interstate 95 South of Fredericksburg VA...once your going that speed you really can't go any faster because the rev limiter kicks in at 9500rpm.
dongarritas

Top speeds

Post by dongarritas »

Well, getting close to 1000 miles now, and she seems to be getting looser as miles tick by....never even come close to 9000 rpm, and repeatedly read 82-87, under ideal (flat/downhill) conditions. Haven't had near as many engine(overheat) as some have, about 5 total. One thing that got a noticeable jump, was when my battery died @ 750 miles, and MAP re-learned the more broken in capabilities. BTW, I live in San Antonio, and temps now are 73-100.....usually don't ride above lower 90's for long :P
ThreeSheets
Dealer

Post by ThreeSheets »

Genuine states 72, so I would say 68-75 somewhere around that.
<b>FLAT SQUIRREL SCOOTERS</b>
421 N. Randall Rd, Lake in the Hills, IL
www.flatsquirrelscooters.com
Edwub

Post by Edwub »

ThreeSheets wrote:Genuine states 72, so I would say 68-75 somewhere around that.
Where? http://www.genuinescooters.com/blur.html#Specs lists 75 est.
omniphil

Post by omniphil »

I've had it read 89 and I was still gaining speed, so I assume 89 is the max it will display. However the speedo is about 16% off which is pretty huge...
davelhunter

81 at 8,500

Post by davelhunter »

I checked today 81 indicated at 8,500 rpm on flat ground. 90 degrees and humid outside. I think my best was 88 indicated on a downhill. I am going to do another test tomorrow after I install 13.5 gr. Dr. Pulley sliders.
davelhunter

13.5g sliders......not better performance than stock

Post by davelhunter »

I just finished testing with 13.5g Dr Pulley sliders. There was no performance gain. I actually lost speed. 3mph slower on top end speed and equal or slightly slower on takeoff also. I think the factory rollers are 14g. I may try 14g sliders but for now I am going back to the stock rollers.
omniphil

Re: 13.5g sliders......not better performance than stock

Post by omniphil »

davelhunter wrote:I just finished testing with 13.5g Dr Pulley sliders. There was no performance gain. I actually lost speed. 3mph slower on top end speed and equal or slightly slower on takeoff also. I think the factory rollers are 14g. I may try 14g sliders but for now I am going back to the stock rollers.
Are you sure you put them in correctly? They are very easy to install wrong as I did so myself the first time :)
davelhunter

Yes

Post by davelhunter »

Yes. I am familiar with the sliders, as I used them in my Blur 150. I made sure to put them in correctly and double checked them when I removed the variator and re-installed the rollers just in case they went in wrong. It may be worth trying a set of 14.5g sliders. I'm not sure if they make them in 14.5 though. When I tested them I did the comparison on the same flat road with the same conditions (weather, wind,etc.).
omniphil

Re: Yes

Post by omniphil »

davelhunter wrote:Yes. I am familiar with the sliders, as I used them in my Blur 150. I made sure to put them in correctly and double checked them when I removed the variator and re-installed the rollers just in case they went in wrong. It may be worth trying a set of 14.5g sliders. I'm not sure if they make them in 14.5 though. When I tested them I did the comparison on the same flat road with the same conditions (weather, wind,etc.).
For whatever its worth, I find it hard to do comparisons on the blur as it seems to run better somedays and worse others with no real change. Sometimes I struggle to keep up with highway traffic and the throttle is just pinned. other days it seems better and I can do about 5mph faster. its very odd... Its a very inconsistent bike from what I notice.
Rush

Post by Rush »

Everyone talks about BDU = blur distance units.

Like others I've found that my speedo is 15% optimistic based on gps.

I have 14g Dr Pulley Sliders and my max is

going downhill = 86 bdu/hour = 73mph
flat road= 83 bdu = 70/71 mph

IMO the Sliders smoothed out acceleration and 14g reduced my tach such that 86 bdu was just at 9k instead of 9.5k with the Rollers
Third Eye

Post by Third Eye »

Hi again!
Bin away for a while. Thank´s a lot for your response:-)

Yesterday i went for 70 mile trip in various speeds, mostly calm cruising on country roads. Came to a long downhill road and decided to let the scooter stretch on full throttle down the road....and even downhill with the wind i my back under perfect conditions it still stops at 65 mph :-/ I starting to wonder if there is a limiter mounted somewhere? One thing happen tho...my revcounter started to indicate any random revs after the top speed test....i´t went crazy and today first it went back to normal behaviour.

I noticed one thing tho, my speedo seems quite accurate, old people here in Sweden seems hit the limit spot on where ever they go. So i pulled up behind 10 or 15 cars and measured the speed and it seems that my speedometer pretty much matched the speed limit:-)

Besides all the whining, i still loves my G-max:-)
Kawasaki GPZ1000rx -87 --> 50cc unrestricted Baotian Classic scooter -07 --> Lifan 125cc scooter -05 and now a PGO G-max 220 EFI -12
Third Eye

Post by Third Eye »

..also, noticed on the last run. It seems that i can´t go over 8000rpm ?
Flat open road, go or bad weather, downhill or uphill....it doesn't mather, it stops at 8000 rpm?
Any one else who had the same problem (limitation)?
Rippinyarn

Post by Rippinyarn »

Mine goes over 8k for sure, even up to redline. It does take a long time, little to no wind and a slight downhill. I think that the variator and clutch are tuned to stay at the top of the power band rather than rev past it. I'm sure that power is trailing off rather dramatically even at 8500. I think of the Blur as more of a midrange punch type of scoot, but with different variator weight (rollers or sliders) and different clutch/contra springs, you can make the transmission tuned to almost any use that you could need (awesome off the line at the expense of top speed, for instance, or vice versa). It's probably set up to be the best of both worlds (with awesome midrange punch). I went with half gram lighter weights and use them in Dr. Pulley slider form to try to give it a little more off the line without losing top speed. More weight (to a point) will make acceleration slower, but will maximize your top speed. I don't think that anyone has enough experience with ultra light weights and a stiffer clutch/contra spring on the Blur to tell us how that is working. People spend years learning about this stuff.

And you need a new instrument cluster :D It might take a while, but it will do that more and more until it won't display anything correctly after the first high rev. I'm on my third instrument cluster. Keep good notes of your mileage, as they all start new from 0!
Rovers SC
Check out the latest at scooterfile.com
Stoney rs

top speed

Post by Stoney rs »

I see topspeed is all over the place. I am 260 lbs my topspeed was 74mph on a flat smooth road no head wind. I could do 68 mph on a long uphill. I installed a puig 992 windshield on my blur tire pressur 42lbs I only use 93 octane gas I can now hit 79mph under the same condtion. My blur has always run well I love it. And I only use mobil one 10/30 and sythetic in the tranny. And that speed is indicated a garmin gps. So for the people that are having trouble getting over 70 gps something has to be wrong. For the people thats willing try what I did and if your speed dont change. The puig is a much better windshield than the blur one seems to be made for it.
omniphil

Re: top speed

Post by omniphil »

Stoney rs wrote:I see topspeed is all over the place. I am 260 lbs my topspeed was 74mph on a flat smooth road no head wind. I could do 68 mph on a long uphill. I installed a puig 992 windshield on my blur tire pressur 42lbs I only use 93 octane gas I can now hit 79mph under the same condtion. My blur has always run well I love it. And I only use mobil one 10/30 and sythetic in the tranny. And that speed is indicated a garmin gps. So for the people that are having trouble getting over 70 gps something has to be wrong. For the people thats willing try what I did and if your speed dont change. The puig is a much better windshield than the blur one seems to be made for it.
Can we get a link for the Puig windscreen?
Stoney rs

topspeed

Post by Stoney rs »

I bought it year ago and it was hard to find then. When I get home from work today I will try to find the reciept. If you google it you will see it on a aprila and a chinese scooter
omniphil

Re: top speed

Post by omniphil »

42psi cold pressures? Isn't that pretty high? Stock is 30psi I think?
omniphil wrote:
Stoney rs wrote:I see topspeed is all over the place. I am 260 lbs my topspeed was 74mph on a flat smooth road no head wind. I could do 68 mph on a long uphill. I installed a puig 992 windshield on my blur tire pressur 42lbs I only use 93 octane gas I can now hit 79mph under the same condtion. My blur has always run well I love it. And I only use mobil one 10/30 and sythetic in the tranny. And that speed is indicated a garmin gps. So for the people that are having trouble getting over 70 gps something has to be wrong. For the people thats willing try what I did and if your speed dont change. The puig is a much better windshield than the blur one seems to be made for it.
Can we get a link for the Puig windscreen?
Stoney rs

topspeed

Post by Stoney rs »

Im not home now I think its 40. It rides a little rough but Im used to it and you will get a little better milege.
Rush

Post by Rush »

Thanks for the performance suggestions Stoney!!!

I just pumped up both my tires to 40psi... massive improvement in suspension handling - less pogo on the big bumps - less need for me to scoot all the way forward on the seat - seems like better acceleration... I wonder if Genuine/PGO got the improper psi for the 220 Blur - I read about burgmans running 40 psi. I'll have to see if mpg increases. Max speed didn't increase for me but it sure seems like I got there faster

Link to pics of that sexy windshield-
http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/show ... rtcity-250

But I don't see anyone that sells it :(
Stoney rs

topspeed

Post by Stoney rs »

Glad to help. In the pet carrier it says 30psi but the tires say 40. You should see gas mileage increase it is pretty sensative to tire pressur. Check it and see let me know if you see any difference.
omniphil

Re: topspeed

Post by omniphil »

Stoney rs wrote:Glad to help. In the pet carrier it says 30psi but the tires say 40. You should see gas mileage increase it is pretty sensative to tire pressur. Check it and see let me know if you see any difference.
I also set my tires pressure up higher from your recommendation. I went with 39psi cold pressure (I didn't want to go all the way to max for a little breathing room) I was running at 31psi before.

Huge improvement in top end performance, I can easily hit 70 mph (real mph) now as I had to struggle before. Its so much better on the highway now!

I also just went thru my first tank of gas at 39psi pressures. Before I was getting around 69mph, this tank I got almost 75mpg! I filled up the tank at 114 miles and I still had 2 bars left on the gauge! I would have got close to 140 miles on that tank if I went to zero bars.

Yeah, its a little more bouncy, but it was bouncy before so it not a huge deal for such a drastic change in performance and fuel economy.

Everyone needs to really try this...
Edwub

Post by Edwub »

You guys convinced me. Next time I get gas, I'll bump mine up to 35 psi for a while and see how it feels.
Stoney rs

topspeed

Post by Stoney rs »

Glad to help. It should benefit anyone willing to try it. Im sorry I have not found the info as to where I got the windsheild I've moved since. But still looking it seems to help topspeed. It makes it more comfortable on the highway.
Stoney rs

Post by Stoney rs »

When I checked my tire pressur I only had 28psi and I was only getting 47mpg. After I pumped up tires to 42psi I am now getting 65-70. Thats an old hotrodders trick for speed it still works. But that the synthetic oil the windsheild it all works together. Im 260 and have no problem cruising 70-72mph and it doesent have to be perfect conditions. I can do that speed on a windy day.
chickdr

Re: topspeed

Post by chickdr »

Stoney rs wrote:Im not home now I think its 40. It rides a little rough but Im used to it and you will get a little better milege.
I guess this could work, but I am not sure it would be advisable. The tires on my Z4M say they have a max pressure of 51psi but I would never use this pressure. BMW recommends 32psi. I would asume the 30psi recommendation from PGO/Genuine has a reason. How will 40psi affect handling and tire life?
Stoney rs

Post by Stoney rs »

I understand your concerns. I am not saying I know more than PGO. What I am saying is that I was not happy with the speed and mpg and decided to try something. Long term how will it effect things I dont know but with more speed and mpg Im happy with the changes so far. Im only making suggestions it worked for me. If anyone have any other ideas. Im willing to give them a try.
Stoney rs

Post by Stoney rs »

I understand your concerns. I am not saying I know more than PGO. What I am saying is that I was not happy with the speed and mpg and decided to try something. Long term how will it effect things I dont know but with more speed and mpg Im happy with the changes so far. Im only making suggestions it worked for me. If anyone have any other ideas. Im willing to give them a try.
Third Eye

Post by Third Eye »

One more question.....which rpm do you guys have in relation to the top speed?
I have a theory that the Swedish model may have a different roller weight ore something.
The reseller promise that there is no restrictions on the engine.
Stoney rs

Post by Stoney rs »

I have'nt notice top speed and rpm together but I have seen 9100 before. I have not been on any major hywy only smaller parkways. I have to pay more attenion to police since it do run faster than the national speed limit. Is there any performance parts available for this scooter in sweden.
Rush

Post by Rush »

Stock rollers got me to 9.3k rpm or so - 72 mph
14g sliders now keep me at roughly 9k rpm - 72mph
Third Eye

Post by Third Eye »

Stoney rs wrote:I have'nt notice top speed and rpm together but I have seen 9100 before. I have not been on any major hywy only smaller parkways. I have to pay more attenion to police since it do run faster than the national speed limit. Is there any performance parts available for this scooter in sweden.
There is no performance parts that i know of here in Sweden, Blur/G-MAX is not a common scooter here :-/
Rush

Post by Rush »

Just wanted to report that with both tires at 40psi, windshield, 150 lbs rider I'm getting 76 mpg on the Blur with moderate riding and some hi-speed/highway.

The ride is a little rough but I'm getting used to it. Also I've found putting my feet on the side - motorcycle style - smooths out the ride - opposed to putting them infront - buddy style.
viney266

Post by viney266 »

Just rode a friends stock one the other day. 76 MPH indicated, bone stock bike with 1100 miles. If that adds to the pile of info.

Every kymco or buddy I have ever put weights in was a nice improvement over stock. I think the blur would benefit as well.
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
Stoney rs

Post by Stoney rs »

76mpg that's great pumping the tires up really seems to bring up the mpg. Have you checked your topspeed with a gps. I read somwhere they said 75 mph and 75 mpg. It's an awsome scooter. Nobody offer anything like this for this price.
Stoney rs

Post by Stoney rs »

76mpg that's great pumping the tires up really seems to bring up the mpg. Have you checked your topspeed with a gps. I read somwhere they said 75 mph and 75 mpg. It's an awsome scooter. Nobody offer anything like this for this price.
turboscott

Post by turboscott »

Tires pumped good but not super high, I hit 67 regularly indicated...winds favorable. My speedo is off by two mph at any speed gps confirmed..so 65 is it. I weigh 240 plus about 40 lbs in gear/stowage. I have never hit 70 that I recall. But I also think my throttle needs adjustment.....for more squeeze.
Voodoo "BOB" lights, Blur Rear Rack, SHAD SH40 Top Case, Brunton Fuel Cells, Garmin Nuvi with Ram Mount, Go Pro Hero 2 with Mount
Tristik

Post by Tristik »

Third Eye wrote:One more question.....which rpm do you guys have in relation to the top speed?
~~
I topped mine out for the first time this morning. It was a bit windy out and I only had max RPM's for maybe a half mile, so it may have opened up some more on a longer stretch:

69 MPH max at about 8100 RPM. It stayed at those RPM's the whole time, I'll have to ride it longer on a calm day and see what it does. Bike had about 995 miles on it when I did this and I weigh 171 pounds.
~~
Third Eye

Post by Third Eye »

wrote: ~~
69 MPH max at about 8100 RPM. It stayed at those RPM's the whole time, I'll have to ride it longer on a calm day and see what it does. Bike had about 995 miles on it when I did this and I weigh 171 pounds.
~~
Ok, now i´m sure. I´m convinced that there is a difference between the US model and the EU model.
Maybe there is a rev-restrictor or a intake-restrictor in the EU-models?
US rev counter: up to red.
EU rev counter: up to ca 8.1000 rpm ?
Tristik

Post by Tristik »

I'm in the US though. :( I haven't been able to get it past 66 indicated since my first post.
Rippinyarn

Post by Rippinyarn »

81-82 indicated top speed today at around 8500 RPM at an ambient of about 49 degrees. Up and down hills and ramps, winds blowing both ways it seemed. Almost 7k on the scoot and I'm 200 lbs.
Rovers SC
Check out the latest at scooterfile.com
Tristik

Post by Tristik »

~~
Just to keep the info flowing, I pumped the tires up to 35 psi (they were at about 29 before I filled them up.

My top speed and acceleration don't have any changes. Still average 66MPH top speed indicated @ 8,000-8,100 RPM.

My MPG has gone from about 60 the last 2 fill-ups to 68 on my first full tank at higher pressure. My current tank is at about 50% and seem to be heading for low to mid 60's if I'm lucky.

Over all I'm pretty damn disappointed with this right now. I have to get down and talk to my dealer about this. 75mph/75mpg isn't anywhere near what I'm running. I'm a lot closer to 60 and 60.

At this rate, I could've bought the Fly 150 I was looking at, gotten similar performance, and saved $1200.
~~
EDIT: Also, my Odometer is ~1,450 miles.
EDIT2: Talked to my dealer and taking my bike in on Friday to see if anything is amiss. Took the fast road home and managed to see 70 mph @about 8,500 RPM for a split second. Other than that it stuck around 66 @8,000 for most of the ride (4-5 miles of WOT).
EDIT3: Had to cancel the appointment. I'm just gonna have them look at it during the 2nd service @1,900 miles.
davelhunter

86mph @ 8,600 rpm

Post by davelhunter »

The weather was finally below 90 degrees! Temp was 75 and on flat ground I got 86mph indicated @ 8,600 rpm.
Third Eye

Post by Third Eye »

Ok, now i filed a complain to my reseller, it seems that Nordic/European versions have a catalyst-system that is different from the US model (!?)

Du you high-speed-version guys have a catalyst in your muffler?
I´m still stuck at 110kmh/8100 rpm and the dealer promised to get a US exhaust-system to see if there is a difference between the European and US version.

The theory is that there is a smaller hole in my system so that the gas-flow is to tight, and the scooter won´t deliver any top-speed.

What do you think, is there a reason to believe that there is in fact 2 versions of the exhaust-system?
chickdr

Post by chickdr »

I have not ran mine completely out but seriously doubt it will do anywhere close to the 86mph posted here. I am betting mine will hit 70mph tops(I weigh 175lbs). I think there may be a lot of variation in engine output on these scooters.
Stoney rs

Post by Stoney rs »

Have anyone taken there bikes in to be checked out. 65 mph topspeed 8100rpm. Something is not right I can get 70(gps) mph at anytime. I weigh 265 it pulls me around nice, 65 down hill, something is definetly not right maybe you guys valves need too be checked. Have you guys installed a windsheild I got the puig 992 at heeters .com a year ago. Dont be afraid to try 42psi in your tire if you dont like it let the air out.
turboscott

Post by turboscott »

All need to realize the fact that these bikes are built overseas and probably result in huge differences between each bike in final performance assembly. There are many factors that will affect top end speed....road conditions, rider weight, wind direction, tire inflation, oil choices and age, motor wear, temperature, capacity, drag introduction, level ground, then..the assembly aspects such as bearing packing and tightness, cable tightness, fastener tightness, motor clearances, valve adjustments, etc....etc...etc.

It would be a good idea to post RPM AT TOP SPEEDS to allow all to see the differences. I am sure my blurpy is not seeing the rpms of many others. I am due for my next real service soon and will include having them check the cable for minimal slack and valve clearances. I am positive it will help with top end.
Voodoo "BOB" lights, Blur Rear Rack, SHAD SH40 Top Case, Brunton Fuel Cells, Garmin Nuvi with Ram Mount, Go Pro Hero 2 with Mount
Third Eye

Post by Third Eye »

Well, i got my PGO/Blur back from the repair shop in January, it´s freezing cold here in Sweden at that time of year so i´we drove just around 4 kilometers between work and shop at minus 10 Celsius.
On the guarantee i got the weights changed to see if that helped, the importer talked directly to the factory support and they say to put in other weights.

Today finally i got a chance to ride it.....what a disappointment:-(
Top speed 95 kmh, 7000 rpm !?
Earlier 110 kmh @ 8100 rpm.

Will take it to the repair shop to put back the old weights.

Now i am pretty sure there is an restriction some how :-(