Bag hook question

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

anthony

Bag hook question

Post by anthony »

So I grocery-shop with my Buddy, and most of the time use the bag hook to hold one of my cloth grocery bags. I've been doing this since June of last year with no issues. Still, I get nervous a lot of the time when the bag is fuller or bulkier than normal, and worry that a tight turn or speed bump could knock things out. Especially since the bag handle is just slightly too long and just rests in the hook without being taut.

So I guess I'm just wondering if this has happened to people and how likely such a thing might be. I know the whole thing about physics and inertia, but it still just seems so much more stable than it should be. Any dos or don'ts or hilarious mishaps, etcetc.?
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Actually, that sounds good. The floorboard is taking the weight rather than the hook, which is just keeping the bag upright. Can't think of a better scenario.
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
phatch

Post by phatch »

Yep- set it on the floor, handles in the loop, and stabilize it with your feet.
Uncle Groucho

Post by Uncle Groucho »

I'll thread the bag handle furthest from the hook through the other one so it cinches on like a knot; that way even if it's a little taut the other loop will help keep the bag closed. The bag is usually resting on the floorboard anyway but it helps.
"Why is it every time I need to get somewhere, we get waylaid by jackassery?"

TVB

Re: Bag hook question

Post by TVB »

anthony wrote:So I guess I'm just wondering if this has happened to people and how likely such a thing might be.
I had my first close call with this about two minutes before my flat tire last week. So I'd forgotten about it until you asked. :) I use those evil plastic bags for scoot-grocering, because they're easy to pack in various places on the scooter. To secure one or two bags on the hook, I put both handles through it, then spin the bag a couple times to close the opening and take up the slack. Last week I didn't spin it because it was too full, and one of the handles slipped off the hook while I was moving. I had to use my feet to hold onto it until the next stop light. So anyway, that's my tip: if it's possible with the bag you're using, twist the handles.
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

When using the Evil Plastic Bags, I wrap the handle an extra time around the hook.
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
siobhan

Post by siobhan »

I use bags that zip closed. Half the time I don't even bother with the hook and let my feet keep it tamed.
BootScootin'FireFighter

Post by BootScootin'FireFighter »

I've done as you described, countless times, even if there is a little slack. I've even had things sit on the floor without hooks or straps and just planted my feet between them. I've also carried a fully loaded 85L hiking pack that sits perfectly on my floor across state lines. Untied, just sits comfortably and my knees will let me know if it ever starts to shift, which it hasn't. Just be cautious if there are lots of canned items in your bag that like to roll around.
Tazio

Post by Tazio »

I do it all the time using a cloth bag. Never had any problems even transporting gallon glass jugs of kimchee.
anthony

Post by anthony »

Thanks for the tips, all. Like I said, it's worked totally fine for me so far, and even times when there's been a bunch of cans, loose beer bottles, etc. there's been no issue. I just wanted to get an idea of how possible any kind of incident might be, since sometimes it doesn't seem the most stable, but it sounds like the chance of mishap is pretty rare. Good to know!
Stitch

Post by Stitch »

Tie the handles before you put it on the hook, and keep it centered with your feet.
"Stella" is Latin for "use threadlocker on all fasteners"
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

You can also loop the handles of the bags around the helmet pegs under the seat. When you close the seat, the bags are locked in place.
This way, you let the short bags hang and the long bags rest on the floor board toward the back.
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
Christophers

Post by Christophers »

I've had bags fall off the hook many times - especially after hitting a bump or pothole. This seems to be more likely to occur the less tension on the handles - for example if the bag is resting on the floorboards or if the items in the bag are light.

As others have said - whenever possible - wrapping the handles around the hook will keep things from falling off and falling out. Alternatively I also use the helmet pegs. In fact - more often than not - the security of using the helmet pegs makes using them my preference.
michelle_7728

Post by michelle_7728 »

Tocsik wrote:You can also loop the handles of the bags around the helmet pegs under the seat. When you close the seat, the bags are locked in place.
This way, you let the short bags hang and the long bags rest on the floor board toward the back.
+1

I do this all the time. In fact, that is how I carry my laptop in a canvas tote bag (with a few other things in there so the bag is a little bulkier).

I also have the bag in the link below. When I go to Costco I put hot or cold items in there (when full it's too big to fit under the seat), then unclip the strap from one side, run it under the seat just behind the helmet pegs, back out to the bag, clip the strap back in place and let it sit on the floor board. No swinging back and forth as I turn. Works really good. (When empty, I put my pet carrier stuff in it, and put it in the pet carrier--on the days that I need it, that is).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kwik-Tek-Scoote ... 2748wt_958

In the picture below, I was doing it a little differently...I looped the strap around the foot pegs. Either way works pretty good. You could set a bag of groceries in it and leave the bag pictured below open as well. That would keep them really stable (assuming you looped the grocery bag handles under the seat as well)...
Attachments
4.jpg
4.jpg (195.39 KiB) Viewed 1144 times