Oil Leak?

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

olhogrider

Oil Leak?

Post by olhogrider »

My next step is to pull the fuel tank and look at the oil feed. '04 Stella, no leaks when riding and I don't see any obviuos leaks at the engine. I'm thinking that it must be from the oil reservoir. It leaks onto the floorboards overnight. Both sides.

Any ideas before I break out the wrenches?

Thanks
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

Might be the O-ring on the oil level sightglass. That'd be my first guess. Second would be the union where the oil tank attaches to the line. When you remove that tank, be sure to pull out the plastic plate in the bottom of the body cavity and sop up the oil that's leaked down into the center tunnel.
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
olhogrider

Post by olhogrider »

Thank! Sorry for the slow reply. I'm out of town but when I get back I'll check it out.
RobertN

Just fixed a similar oil leak

Post by RobertN »

I just fixed a similar oil leak--on to the floorboards and also dripping on the muffler. It started as a small leak but over several months it got much worse. My problem was at the seal at the bottom of the oil tank. That is where the outlet is where the rubber oil line connects (it connects at the carb on the other side). I will attach a post from another forum that includes excellent pictures and describes in detail how to remove your gas tank and oil tank. One thing that is not clear is that there is a 17mm nut at the bottom of the oil tank (inside) which fastens to the outlet pipe at the bottom.

Important note!! You cannot separate the plastic oil tank from the fuel tank without first removing that nut. You have to use a 17mm socket attached to 12" and 3" socket extensions to be able to get to it through the oil fill outlet. There is a solid metal pipe that is connected to the fuel tank and goes all the way to the bottom of the plastic oil tank. That 17mm nut is inside that metal tube, so when it is fastened to the outlet, there is absolutely no way you can separate the oil tank from the fuel tank.

At the outlet and seal there is a metal washer with a tab that is slightly bent up. I think that tab caused my leak. If the washer rotates too much while tightening the 17 mm nut, that bent tab contacts the oil tank and (I think) can cause a tiny gap in the seal if it is rotated too far. When you tighten the 17mm nut, make sure that the tab on that metal washer does not rotate beyond just making initial contact with the oil tank.

I didn't have to replace the rubber seal (rubber washer). I just made sure the metal washer didn't rotate too much when I re-tightened the 17mm nut. My oil leak problem was immediately solved.

Here is the link to the article on removing your fuel and oil tank.

http://www.scootercentral.net/forums/vi ... e+oil+tank

Good tip on taping up your oil sight glass when you remove the gas and oil tanks so you don't scratch it up on the metal of the frame.

Good luck!