Sell or Keep?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

lilguy

Sell or Keep?

Post by lilguy »

I am moving to CA to attend UC Berkeley for grad school. I'm really excited and have started to make moving plans. Up until this point I have planned on taking my scooter, Madame Cheri, with me and included her in all of the price quotes that I received from moving companies ($250). However, I'm second guessing that decision now. We've been through a lot together and I can't imagine selling :cry: yet I don't know if it's worth it to take her.

Will I really use a Buddy 50 in the Bay Area? Maybe I can use it to get to/from home and class so I don't have to worry about parking. I imagine I won't be able to get much further than that.

Should I sell and get a new Buddy? Oh the betrayal!

Would getting a cage be more feasible? I'll also have an internship and will need to get to/from there at least three times a week. I won't know where I'm placed until mid-summer, but I could request to be nearby. If that doesn't work out and it's not near public transportation, then I might seriously have to consider one of those things with four wheels. Crazy. I can't imagine not being on two wheels. :shock:
MYSCTR

Keep or Sell

Post by MYSCTR »

Well, I would have to go through the logical checklist first like how long have you had ‘her’, how many miles does she have, what condition is she in, how much longer would you keep her if the $250 was not an issue and finally, are you ready to step up to a larger cc like a 125 or 170i?

Then you can consider she HAS A NAME and has become a part of you and how could you think of tossing her aside for a measly $250 when she would enjoy the Cali coast AT LEAST as much as you would! I mean really you are talking San Fran and the bay and SO much more…

Really? We have to ask this? :shock:

Leave today and enjoy the ride… :P
lilguy

Post by lilguy »

I bought her new in May 2010. She only has about 7500 miles and she's in great condition. The $250 is not an issue at all. That's a small price to pay. I'm just not familiar with the scooter culture in the Bay Area. 50cc here in Boston has been perfect for me. I don't mind stepping it up, but if I don't have to and the 50cc is sufficient then selling is out of the question. I think I just doubted myself because I was checking out the scooter groups in the Bay Area and everyone seemed to have a 125 or 170i.
TroutBum

Post by TroutBum »

You will find you will need to lockup your scooter as if it was made of gold. Berkeley has a high crime rate and around campus you'll find a lot of questionable people walking about.

A 50cc scooter may be fine around campus, but the main connection routes to other cities near Berkeley requires hitting the congested freeways. It can be scary even for cagers as it is a major truck route (Port of Oakland is nearby) and the gateway way to San Francisco and Oakland.
hg3

Post by hg3 »

I live in Berkeley - parking for car not that great as most of the area have time limits unless you live there and then you need to pay for sticker. The hills behind the UC are a bit steep so may be a real slow down on a 50cc.
Riding around town would work and even dropping down to the marina/park area would be fine.
Good bus service and BART is there to take you to the rest of the Bay Area.
As mentioned above, security is a big must for scooters and that can be a down side.
My thoughts would be if you have a super secure location for night storage and just intend to travel the local roads in the East BAY bring your baby. Otherwise Foot travel will be your preferred method of living in Berkeley.
just my - IMO
still shifting

Post by still shifting »

Ah the joys of Scooting Berkley... 8) R
lilguy

Post by lilguy »

Ok, maybe I can do it after all. I'm pretty vigilant about theft here in Boston because it happens so frequently. Once while shopping I walked out to find two people pulled up on a scooter next to my scooter. They were "transferring" my mirrors to their scooter. I flipped out. They gave me one mirror, but it took some coaxing to get the second. They were insisting I should share. I was using a heavy chain at the time, but decided to add the xena alarm. Since the cover of my scooter has also been stolen, I now lock that down too.

Will I be dealing with the same thing or worse in Berkeley?
hg3

Post by hg3 »

i will reply in may
Syd

Post by Syd »

Have you compared the licensing requirements in CA? I don't what the laws are in either state, but you'd better make sure you can (legally) ride in Berkeley.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
Jenn L

Post by Jenn L »

In CA you would need an M1 license. The permit/written test (about $30) is good for a year once you get it. If you'll be getting a CA driver's license too, just do all the tests at once. If you're under 21 you have to take a Basic Rider Course, but I'm guessing since you're talking grad school the age rule doesn't matter. :) Then to go from permit to license it's skills test or basic rider course.
JohnKiniston

Post by JohnKiniston »

Hmm, Buddy 50's are 2-Stroke, Will California even let your register such a bike there?
siobhan

Post by siobhan »

Firstly, congrats on going to Cal for grad school. That's no mean feat to attend such a prestigious university.

My two cents is to sell the 50cc. The weather is so freakin' nice out there, and grad school can be so incredibly stressful, you may find yourself wanting to get away from it all and go on long, out-of-town rides. There's someone on the Boston CL looking for a used 50cc Buddy. Sell yours and pick up a bigger scoot when you're in Cali since you need the M1 anyway.

Good luck with your studies!
MrChet

Post by MrChet »

M1 = Motorcycle
M2 = Moped/Motor Drive Cycle under 50cc

IIRC

If you need a M endorsement I recommend taking the MSF course and then the written test for the M1.

Jenn L wrote:In CA you would need an M1 license. The permit/written test (about $30) is good for a year once you get it. If you'll be getting a CA driver's license too, just do all the tests at once. If you're under 21 you have to take a Basic Rider Course, but I'm guessing since you're talking grad school the age rule doesn't matter. :) Then to go from permit to license it's skills test or basic rider course.
Christophers

Post by Christophers »

MrChet wrote:M1 = Motorcycle
M2 = Moped/Motor Drive Cycle under 50cc

IIRC
Slightly different regulations in CA.

To quote from CA DMV site:
--------
There are two classes of motorcycle licenses, Class M1 and Class M2.

With a Class M1, you can operate any 2–wheel motorcycle and any motorized bicycle in Class M2.
With a Class M2, you can only operate any motorized bicycle or moped or any bicycle with an attached motor.
--------

CA defines a moped as a type of motorized bicycle (i.e. has pedals).
Note that an M2 license is also required to operate a gas-motorized scooter (the skateboard with handlebars type of scooter).