Need a lighter scooter for touring

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

skipper20

Need a lighter scooter for touring

Post by skipper20 »

At 79 going on 80 my 350 lb. Honda Helix 250 has become just a bit too heavy for me. I don't have the leg strength I used to have when stopping and putting my leg (legs) down to remain upright. My own weight is not a problem as my 6' frame weighs in at 175.
I know, I could get a Piaggio MP3 and not worry about tipping over at the stop signs but I just can't get used to that 3 wheel look. My Buddy 170i is a perfect fit but it's not safe on the Interstates. To cruise comfortably at 60 - 65 MPH with some reserve for passing situations and steep hills, what's out there that's under 300 lbs., has FI (mandatory) and a decent size gas tank at 2 1/2 gals. or more? Any and all recommendations, comments, etc. would be sincerely appreciated.

Bill in Seattle
'12 170i Italia "The Olive Pit"
'87 Honda Helix 250 "Big Red"
JohnKiniston

Post by JohnKiniston »

How about adding a sidecar or a set of those outriggers to your Helix?

Then you won't have to even put a foot down when you stop :)

Would a PCX be fast enough for you? I think the Limiter on the PCX 150 is set at 68MPH.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Many mention the Sym HD 200 as a good bike in the weight range you mention. I believe it is carburetted but it is liquid cooled. Kymco also makes several 200 models. Some are FI and all are at about the desired weight threshold. You might look on the Just Gotta Scoot website for reviews and specifications on several of them.

http://www.justgottascoot.com/reviews.htm
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

JohnKiniston wrote:How about adding a sidecar or a set of those outriggers to your Helix?
For what it's worth, the Texas Sidecar Company does make a sidecar and mount which fit the Helix.

http://www.texassidecars.com/index.htm
Witch

Post by Witch »

I can't personally think of a scooter that meets all of those qualifications.

But I can tell you that it's actually quite tricky to roll to a stop on an MP3 without it tipping over. It requires a bit of skill and practice. The tilt lock can only be engaged below a certain speed, and it automatically disengages once you go over that threshold. I tried it several times on a borrowed 400. While I did effectively get it to work, it was sketchy at best. Once the tilt lock was engaged, it instantly needed to be steered like a car, and (at least for me) it was unnerving enough that I honestly stopped trying it. I'm not trying to discourage that as a possible option for you--just saying that it isn't as easy as most people think. I've heard many stories of people immediately returning an MP3 once they found out they couldn't actually do the no-feet-down trick. And those bikes weigh a LOT. (As a side note, I agree about how strange they look... but then I rode one and absolutely fell in love. I'd buy one in a heartbeat if I could.)

Would a larger scoot with a sturdy side car be something you might consider? I've seen many maxi-scoots with side cars attached that are still more than capable of freeway speeds. The Honda Silverwing or Suzuki Burgman (in 400 or 650) seem to be popular for those kinds of set ups. While the weight would be way off the charts, it would solve the problem of putting your feet down altogether, and give you an insane amount of storage space at the same time.

I have also struggled with the weight of certain scoots, and holding them up at a stop (though my issue is simply because I'm short). I found the Honda Helix to be the easiest bike for me to hold up due to its very low center of gravity. I haven't personally encountered another scoot with nearly the same power that had the same or even lower COG.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Thinking a bit more on this, I don't believe that most 275-300 lb scooters would be easier for you to balance than your 350 lb Helix. Other possible models generally have a higher seat than the Helix. I suspect that shedding a few pounds while trying to balance a bike from a higher seating position will help you little or not at all. Beyond sidecars, others have also looked at the Tow-Pac kits for bigger scooters. They are reasonably priced and fit most models.

http://www.towpacusa.com/
skipper20

Post by skipper20 »

Dooglas wrote:Thinking a bit more on this, I don't believe that most 275-300 lb scooters would be easier for you to balance than your 350 lb Helix. Other possible models generally have a higher seat than the Helix. I suspect that shedding a few pounds while trying to balance a bike from a higher seating position will help you little or not at all. Beyond sidecars, others have also looked at the Tow-Pac kits for bigger scooters. They are reasonably priced and fit most models.

http://www.towpacusa.com/
"Shedding a few pounds"?? I'm actually at 171 (I rounded it up to 175 in my initial post) and I'm 6' tall!! How many 6 footers on this list weigh less than 171 lbs? And, a side car or a Tow-Pac kit is not an option as I don't have the garage space. Also, I want fuel injection (FI). My Buddy 170i has got me terribly spoiled in that regard. C'mon, there must be something out there that will meet my criteria. An earlier post mentioned Kymco. I'll have to check those out. Thanks!

Bill in Seattle
'12 170i Italia "The Olive Pit"
'87 Honda Helix 250 "Big Red"
anthony

Post by anthony »

skipper20 wrote:
Dooglas wrote:I suspect that shedding a few pounds while trying to balance a bike from a higher seating position will help you little or not at all.
"Shedding a few pounds"?? I'm actually at 171 (I rounded it up to 175 in my initial post) and I'm 6' tall!! How many 6 footers on this list weigh less than 171 lbs?
I believe he's saying that he thinks shedding a few pounds of scooter will not help you very much after all.
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

I have a Cozy sidecar set up on my TGB R9i. You have to learn to drive it,
not ride it. The R9i will run at 45-55 and is stable once you learn how to
drive it. I am 77, 6' 1", 185 lbs and I can understand his problem. My legs
are not what they used to be. If you have the money to do it I would
reccomend a trike conversion to your existing bike. I have an Icky Bear
trike that I use to get around my place on and it is easier to ride and a bit more stable than the sidecar. :wink:
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Witch wrote:I can't personally think of a scooter that meets all of those qualifications.
I agree. While I understand the situation I don't think there is a lighter scooter that I would be comfortable on cruising 60-65 with reserve for passing. It's just not enough mass to be stable at those speeds and with trucks and traffic.
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
tortoise

Re: Need a lighter scooter for touring

Post by tortoise »

skipper20 wrote:At 79 going on 80
There comes a time to move on . . can't take it with you!
skully93

Post by skully93 »

my Kymco People 250 is up for sale, but it's carbed and possibly just as heavy.

The Sym or maybe one of the Aprilia models?
brianwheelies

Post by brianwheelies »

How about some weight training to overcome the core of the problem?
Stitch

Post by Stitch »

Maybe go scooter trike?
http://www.dansontrikes.com/
Run the trike for touring and grab a buddy or something for short hops.
I know it's not quite as fun, but it won't tip over at a stop sign.

Hope to see you still riding when you are 90.
"Stella" is Latin for "use threadlocker on all fasteners"
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

A couple thoughts crossed my mind upon reading the OP.

1) My right leg is mostly paralyzed from the knee down, so I can definately understand the weight-bearing issue. Out of curiosity, where does the Helix carry its weight...middle, bottom-heavy, or top-heavy? Here's why I ask:
- After my Buddy 125, I had a Ninja 250 for all of two months before deciding it was definately not for me. It was only 350 lbs (I think), but all the weight was carried high...very top-heavy bike. I was constantly almost-dropping it from the slightest lean, and it sucked all the fun out of the experience.
- The Vulcan 900 cruiser was, at 600 lbs, simply a beast...but all the weight was down low and the seat height (I'm also tall at 6'1.5") let me put my feet out a little bit further for wonderful stability. I had more leeway in stationary lean before the 600 lbs thing became an issue.
- The Bonneville was 500 lbs, but carried the weight mid-level and felt "balanced". I never really felt like dropping it was a concern, even though it was pretty heavy by comparison. I only really felt the weight when pushing or walking through a turnaround on a hill...and then I just slowed down and took my time.

2) I...wouldn't recommend going below 300 lbs for interstate. Wind buffering from passing trucks and semi's starts getting really sketchy. It's like being a feather in a hurricane at that point...the risk of getting sucked into a backdraft and physically pulled towards a semi becomes more of a reality. This is why most cruisers weigh so much, or at least one of the reasons. They could make them weigh less (the Diavel is proof of that) but the weight counters the buffering.
Have you looked into back-road and non-interstate options for where you go? I personally prefer those every chance I get, and I can usually find a way around any interstate, given a paper map and a few minutes. :) I'm not in your part of the country, though, so I don't know how the roads there are.

Just some thoughts.
Witch

Post by Witch »

BuddyRaton wrote:
Witch wrote:I can't personally think of a scooter that meets all of those qualifications.
I agree. While I understand the situation I don't think there is a lighter scooter that I would be comfortable on cruising 60-65 with reserve for passing. It's just not enough mass to be stable at those speeds and with trucks and traffic.
Yeah.

I can't even think of any scooter with a lower center of gravity than the Helix. At least, nothing over 50cc. It's the center of gravity that makes a huge difference in how easily you can hold up the bike. My GTV is on the edge of what I can handle in terms of the weight, COG, and seat height. If I were to get anything larger, it would have to be one of the low-rider maxi-scoots, or an MP3 with a slightly shorter than stock seat. There's just not much out there that fits that weight category that's capable of sustained freeway speeds with any reserve power. And having experience with most scooters that do fit that category, none of them are easier to hold up at a stop.

If there was a scooter that fit all of those qualifications, I would have gotten it instead of the GTV. There isn't that I'm aware of, so I opted to deal with the Vespa.
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

Check out TowPac.com, they make trike units for every thing from the big
motorcycles to the 150cc scooters. This might be your best answer to the
problem at the least expense. I am considering the MicroMini kit for my 170i
when the dasy comes. :wink:
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

skipper20 wrote:"Shedding a few pounds"?? I'm actually at 171 (I rounded it up to 175 in my initial post) and I'm 6' tall!!
LOL. I was talking about the scooter. I don't believe having a scooter that is 50 lbs lighter but has a higher seat will result in it being any easier for you to balance. And I was the one who pointed out that Sym and Kymco have some models that mostly meet your critieria. I also posted a site which has reviews and specification lists for several scooters in the 200cc range that weigh at or under 300 lbs..