Which one off of this Service Schedule?

All things Genuine Blur

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Edwub

Which one off of this Service Schedule?

Post by Edwub »

Hey guys,

I'm approaching 4,000 miles. I had my scooter serviced roughly before 500 miles, and again when approaching 2,000 miles. I had been told every 2K was time to come on in. One of my local shops recently closed (the NoHo scooters you've likely heard about on this forum! :()

The other local shop, according to their webpage, has a totally different schedule. They recommend every 1,000 miles? I thought I had read on this forum (either here in the Blur section, or in the General Buddy forum) that every 2,000 miles tends to be the standard.

I don't have the tools or the mechanical inclination to do this myself, and I love Blitzen and want to make sure I keep him in great shape! I don't have my receipt/paperwork from my 2k service handy with me to know what NoHo did at the 2k check in. Looks like this other place has three levels: Essential, Deluxe, and Intricate. Wondering what I should be going for?

Essential, or Deluxe? (again, scooter was serviced twice: 500 miles, 2000 miles, and is now getting close to 4000).

Should I have been going in more often? I ride in heavy stop and go traffic frequently, so now I think perhaps I should. Or is this just overly cautious and a ploy by the shop?

We recommend servicing your new scooter by following the mileage chart below

FIRST Service: due at 200 Miles (Deluxe Service) Includes:
Inspect Front Suspension, Steering & Handle Bar – Inspect BrakeLevers & Front Brake Fluid Level & Adjust Rear Brakes – Inspect orAdjust Throttle Cable – Inspect Battery Connections – Change Engine Oil &Oil Filter – Check Fasteners -Change Trans Oil – Inspect Spark Plug – InspectAir Filter – Check/Adjust Tire Pressure – Add Gas 1 Gallon if needed – NextService Due Sticker – Test Ride – Wash & Wax. Only $126.00 –

1000 Mile Service (Essential Service) Includes:
Change Oil & Oil Filter -Inspect Trans Fluid – Inspect BatteryCables – Check Brakes – Add Gas .5 Gallon if needed – Check Tire Pressure– Checkall Fasteners - Next Service Due Sticker – Test Ride –Wash & Wax. Only $69.33 –

2000 Mile Service(Essential Service), Includes:
Change Oil & OilFilter - Inspect Trans Fluid – Inspect Battery Cables – Check Brakes – Add Gas p to .5 Gallon as required – Check Tire Pressure– Check all Fasteners - Next Service DueSticker – Test Ride – Wash & Wax. Only $69.33 –

3000 Mile Service(Deluxe Service) Includes:
Inspect Front Suspension, Steering & Handle Bar – Inspect BrakeLevers & Front Brake Fluid Level & Adjust Rear Brakes – Inspect orAdjust Throttle Cable – Inspect Battery Connections – Change Engine Oil &Oil Filter – Check Fasteners -Change Trans Oil – Inspect Spark Plug –Inspect Air Filter – Check Tire Pressure– Add Gas 1 Gallon if needed – Next Service Sticker – Test Ride – Wash &Wax. Only $126.00 –

4000 Mile Service(Essential Service), Includes:
Change Oil & OilFilter -Inspect Trans Fluid – Inspect Battery Cables – Check Brakes – Add Gas.5 Gallon if needed – Check Tire Pressure– Check all Fasteners - Next ServiceDue Sticker – Test Ride –Wash & Wax. Only $69.33 –

5000 Mile Service(Intricate Service) Includes:
Inspect FrontSuspension, Steering & Handle Bar – Inspect Brake Levers & Front BrakeFluid Level & Adjust Rear Brakes – Inspect or Adjust Throttle Cable –Inspect Battery Connections – Change Engine Oil & Oil Filter – CheckFasteners - Adjust Valves – Clean Fan Intake/Alternator - Change Trans Oil – ReplaceSpark Plug – Replace Air Filter – CheckTire Pressure – Add Gas 1 Gallon if needed – Next Service Due Sticker – TestRide –Wash & Wax. Only $201.63–

edit: they also have just an oil change option:
Scooter Pit Stop
· Tire Check
· Brake Check
· Gas Top Off
· Wipe down
· Inspection ofall Lights and Reflectors
· Oil levelCheck and Top Off
· IdleAdjustment

$19.95
Robbie

Post by Robbie »

This is called Menu Maintainence.

It is a dealer prepared service schedule designed to enhance dealer profits.

The only schedule you should follow is the one in the owners manual......the manufacturer knows his product and its requirements best of all.

Rob
agrogod

Post by agrogod »

I'm with Robbie on this one. Dealer maintenance schedule designed to maximize profits at the riders expense. Just ignore their "recommended" schedule and stick with your factory one. Unless of course your anal about maintenance and don't mind spending the extra cash.
"When your mouth is yapping your arms stop flapping, get to work" - a quote from my father R.I.P..
always start with the simple, it may end up costing you little to nothing
chickdr

Re: Which one off of this Service Schedule?

Post by chickdr »

Edwub wrote:Hey guys,

I'm approaching 4,000 miles.
The Blur comes with an automated oil service reminder. Every 1,800 miles it comes on to tell you to change the oil. No reason to do it any sooner. You should have the light on now if its been 2K since the last service. Time for an oil change. This is very easy to do yourself and I highly advise you try it. Everything is visible with no extra work. Go and buy some 15W40 oil along with a drain pan at your local auto parts store. I also recommend a funnel with a flexible tube to make it easier to get the oil into the bike(very tight- you refill through the dip stick hole). Drain the oil after warming the bike up a bit. Refill with 1 qt of oil. The filter can be done every other change since they are so close together. That is the only messy part(the filter). The next time(6K miles) you will need to change the gear oil as well. Also super easy and much less fluid needed. Again, it is available at the auto parts store. One bottle will last a long time. I use a syringe to accurately replace it. The maintenance is really simple on this bike. You will save tons of money doing it yourself and know a lot more about your bike in the process. When it comes to brake fluid changes(every 2yrs) I will take that into the shop as it is a bit more technical.