Snowed Out in May??

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Rob

Snowed Out in May??

Post by Rob »

I just returned from a short visit with my brother and his family in Minnesota. We were going to do a day ride on MCs while I was up there ... but NOOOOOO, we were snow and sleeted out! In May .... really???

Then I heard a baseball game in Kansas City was snowed out.

Sheesh! Florida sounds better and better all the time.

Rob
"Sponges grow in the ocean. That just kills me. I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be if that didn't happen."
- Steven Wright
ravenlore

Post by ravenlore »

Yep, it sucked. the southeastern part of the state got utterly spanked, as did a swath of Wisconsin.

I didn't ride to work Wednesday out of caution, but I rode to work Thursday because the TC proper was fine. I rode to work yesterday and the timing worked out, but only just. It was a chilly and damp ride home in the afternoon.
Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

Will this late snow help with any drout conditions later? Or is it just a pita?
ravenlore

Post by ravenlore »

Drum Pro wrote:Will this late snow help with any drout conditions later? Or is it just a pita?
In this case, at least in Minnesota. the area heaviest hit with snow DOES have several inches of topsoil thawed out. So as i understand it, yes the precip will help. Though because there was SO MUCH precip, it will probably be too much for the topsoil and some may run off. that's ok too in this case, because our lake and river levels are also very low.

We have made some improvement, but we've got a ways to go yet:

http://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Beautiful sunny days in early May in western Oregon. Temperatures in the low 80s. Perfect riding weather! I say that not to make you feel bad, but because it is really unseasonal weather for around here. It would usually be cool and wet right now.
Keys

Post by Keys »

Yep. I just slid into a snowbank here in 90 degree Phoenix this morning. No, wait...that wasn't me...
"Life without music would Bb"
avonpirate

Post by avonpirate »

Ditto with the snow tears... we had 45" during the month of April. 3" 2 nights ago, I must be patient, I must be patient, I must... :cry:
She with the most 'used' toys wins.

issue31

Post by issue31 »

YA! I was on the receiving end of this one!! I live just outside of Rochester. Had about 14 inches of HEAVY wet snow in the driveway! Snow blower had a hard time handling it! Then the city came along and filled the end of driveway really full! Took about 2 1/2 hours to open everything up! I spent the 2 days making a hanger on my 170 to hold my GPS, so it was not a total loss. The day before i was rideing :lol: :lol:
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

No snow here in NGA, just 7-10 degrees colder than normal and day after
day of rain. I am lucky if I can ride 1 or 2 days a week, may trade for a
boat. Whatever happened to globular worming??? :?