I locked my keys in my seat... I think....

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Twentyfourskys

I locked my keys in my seat... I think....

Post by Twentyfourskys »

So I have a 2008 buddy 125 (Sasha is her name if it matters)... It has been sitting in my garage for 2 years now. I finally am coming around to getting her back running again. My biggest problem is I honestly havent seen either one of my keys in those 2 years. I have searched everywhere I know to search and honestly the last place I know to look is in the seat itself which is obviously locked. I looked online here for some help however (and rightfully so) everyone who has helped out has sent a PM informing a person how to get into the seat. Could someone inform me on how to do it? Thanks!

And hopefully there wont be an upcoming post from me asking about replacing keys... Fingers crossed...
mukaiboston

Post by mukaiboston »

You might just have to call a locksmith in which case they will probably break it open. That's what I had to do when I locked my keys in my seat.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Both keys would have been locked under the seat? Were they on the same ring? :wink:
pickboy_101

Post by pickboy_101 »

So this happened to me the other day while I was at my parents house. The easiest way to get to it is to take the seat off. The front hinge has a bolt in it with a phillips head. You can pull the seat up with one hand and unscrew the bolt, it takes a bit more force to get the bolt out of the hinge after it is unscrewed but it will come out with a bit of effort. Just be sure not to tear the seat fabric in the process and you should be gold.
Disney

Post by Disney »

There is another way to open the seat latch without damaging anything or using force. I've accidentally locked my keys under my seat once and my scooter mechanic told me the trick (under confidence that I'm not going to break into other scooters)
VinylDoctor

Post by VinylDoctor »

genuine gives you 2 keys when you buy them.
you would think people would keep one for emergencys.
course thou, used scooters rearly get both the keys to it. hmm, and dont buy a scooter with no keys.
iMoses

Post by iMoses »

Disney wrote:There is another way to open the seat latch without damaging anything or using force. I've accidentally locked my keys under my seat once and my scooter mechanic told me the trick (under confidence that I'm not going to break into other scooters)
I have seen the method done (with my own two eyes-rather than someones else's) when a fellow Buddy rider locked her keys under the seat. It seemed fairly simple.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Sending you a PM with instructions.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
tommyred

Post by tommyred »

I locked my keys under the seat, went digging for it, and tore up my hand trying. But I got the keys. When I told Kevin at Motorsports about it, he showed me how to get them the easy way. And it came in handy when I did it again a few weeks later :-/

Now the keys go on the top case or in my pocket when I park it. I don't want that 3rd strike.
The Reverend Wage
Ordained Dudeist Priest ☯�
Abide!
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

I wouldn't put keys in your top case! I've never seen a top case that couldn't be cracked open with a screwdriver, or cut through easily. Plus, how do you lock the top case if the keys are in there? For that matter, you should never leave anything valuable in your topbox OR under your seat, it's never hard to get either open if you don't care if the bike is damaged in the process.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
tommyred

Post by tommyred »

illnoise wrote:I wouldn't put keys in your top case! I've never seen a top case that couldn't be cracked open with a screwdriver, or cut through easily. Plus, how do you lock the top case if the keys are in there? For that matter, you should never leave anything valuable in your topbox OR under your seat, it's never hard to get either open if you don't care if the bike is damaged in the process.
I put them ON the top case while taking off my gloves & helmet.
The Reverend Wage
Abide!
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

tommyred wrote:I put them ON the top case while taking off my gloves & helmet.
Never mind :oops:

(thought I'd beat Illnoise to it. :wink:
tommyred

Post by tommyred »

I'll give you an A for effort :)
The Reverend Wage
Abide!
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

Ha, reading is fundamental. Sorry!
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
sportingblue

Post by sportingblue »

can someone please pm me with this information! just locked my self out tonight and want to take advantage of the nice day tomorrow
VinylDoctor

Post by VinylDoctor »

To be sure just pick up the scooter and shake it.
if you hear them, then you did.
I once forgot to take my rat out of it after bringing her to the vet. a hour later I think, damn, where did el ratto go off too. then I remembered.
open the compartment and she was curled up in the towel I put in there for her sound asleep.
Disney

Post by Disney »

VinylDoctor wrote:To be sure just pick up the scooter and shake it.
I love how you simply say "pick up the scoot" Haha. This is very possible and true.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

VinylDoctor wrote:I once forgot to take my rat out of it after bringing her to the vet. a hour later I think, damn, where did el ratto go off too. then I remembered. open the compartment and she was curled up in the towel I put in there for her sound asleep.
You mean in the pet carrier? This might be the first report of someone actually putting a pet in a scooter pet carrier.
Attachments
No pets.jpg
No pets.jpg (148.86 KiB) Viewed 4795 times
VinylDoctor

Post by VinylDoctor »

Disney wrote:
VinylDoctor wrote:To be sure just pick up the scooter and shake it.
I love how you simply say "pick up the scoot" Haha. This is very possible and true.
they only weigh a few hundred lbs. why not?
VinylDoctor

Post by VinylDoctor »

Dooglas wrote:
VinylDoctor wrote:I once forgot to take my rat out of it after bringing her to the vet. a hour later I think, damn, where did el ratto go off too. then I remembered. open the compartment and she was curled up in the towel I put in there for her sound asleep.
You mean in the pet carrier? This might be the first report of someone actually putting a pet in a scooter pet carrier.
it's perfect for rats.
just put a towel or two in there to cushion them,
I really wouldnt put anything bigger then a rat in there thou. maybe a few rats. they prolly mean dont stuff a dog or bird or cat in there.
scullyfu

Post by scullyfu »

this may be an urban legend, so if anyone can confirm or deny, i'd like to hear the haps once and for all.

is it true that all buddy keys are interchangeable? in other words, if you have a friend who locks keys in the carrier, they could use your buddy keys to get into the scoot (or start it and take off). what say you? truth or urban legend?
WE'RE GOING THE WRONG WAY!!! Starbuck, BSG
TVB

Post by TVB »

Gotta be an urban legend.
VinylDoctor

Post by VinylDoctor »

scullyfu wrote:this may be an urban legend, so if anyone can confirm or deny, i'd like to hear the haps once and for all.

is it true that all buddy keys are interchangeable? in other words, if you have a friend who locks keys in the carrier, they could use your buddy keys to get into the scoot (or start it and take off). what say you? truth or urban legend?
false.
go to a scooter meet and swap keys with another buddy and test it out. do you know the madness it would cause if it was true? someone would find a wrecked buddy, take the keys and go on a stealing spree.
Griffinash

Locked keys in 2009 Buddy

Post by Griffinash »

Don't panic or call a locksmith. Loosen the front seat sliding bolt. Gently lift up and call your eight year old to squeeze her little hand in to retrieve them! Tighten bolt and you are good to go.
21blackjack21

Post by 21blackjack21 »

Dooglas:
What is the thing that looks buttoned on to the base of the seat in your picture?
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Tool kit holder.
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
21blackjack21

Post by 21blackjack21 »

Thanks PeteH. Couldn't figure if it was something to hang helmet off...but that didn't seem quite right...
My Blackjack is set up differently for tool kit.
michelle_7728

Post by michelle_7728 »

VinylDoctor wrote:
scullyfu wrote:this may be an urban legend, so if anyone can confirm or deny, i'd like to hear the haps once and for all.

false.
go to a scooter meet and swap keys with another buddy and test it out. do you know the madness it would cause if it was true? someone would find a wrecked buddy, take the keys and go on a stealing spree.
+1

I've got two Buddys...guess how I know... :oops:
Past bikes: 08' Genuine Buddy 125, '07 Yamaha Majesty 400, '07 Piaggio MP3 250, '08 Piaggio MP3 500, '08 Aprilia Scarabeo 500
Current bikes: Two '09 Genuine Buddy 125's
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Heh. Yeah, if they were all the same (like maybe on riding lawnmowers, perhaps?), our dear good friends at ScooterWorks would just sell replacement keys. I ordered (and received) two extra uncut PGO key blanks and had my local hardware store dupe the original.
BoulderBud

Keys locked in seat

Post by BoulderBud »

I just bought my first scooter, a Buddy 125. Could someone please PM me with how to retrieve my keys in case I lock them in my pet carrier? Thanks! I do stuff like that, unfortunately.
ericalm
Site Admin

Re: Keys locked in seat

Post by ericalm »

BoulderBud wrote:I just bought my first scooter, a Buddy 125. Could someone please PM me with how to retrieve my keys in case I lock them in my pet carrier? Thanks! I do stuff like that, unfortunately.
PM sent
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
dignan

Post by dignan »

Please someone pm me the easy way I just locked my keys in my seat and am no where close to my back up set.
swompepi

Post by swompepi »

I would LOVE to know how to get the keys when it's locked in...
It happened to me last night, and I got everything locked in there (wallet, cellphone, home key.. - yeah call me idiot) and I had to ask help from police officers to taking out the screw in front of the seat.
That was a nightmare and I would know what's the easy way, if it happens to me again... ? huhu

ericalm, can you pm me please?? THX A LOT!!
MelbScooterRider

Keys locked under seat Paggio Fly 150

Post by MelbScooterRider »

I've had a Paggio Fly 150 lent to me while my Vespa is in the shop. I've locked the key under the seat. Does anyone know an easy way to open it? On the Vespa 250 its really quite easy, hoping there is a simple method for the Fly as well.

Appreciate any suggestions

Thanks
craftynerd

Post by craftynerd »

Pretty sure it's urban legend - I accidentally tried unlocking my scoot with the spare key for my roomie's 170 (we've got a massive collection of spare scooter keys all on one keyring, and of course with two Buddies in the garage, there's two Buddy keys on there), and it didn't work.
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Yep, that's why ScooterWorks sells PGO blank keys.
Benzo Mike

Post by Benzo Mike »

Open your carrier and the solution to the doomsday solution is pretty obvious. Proper solution - keys are ONLY in ignition or pocket. Period.
New signature - you don't care what else I have, and I don't care to tell you about it. I have a 2009 Buddy Italia, let's leave it at that.
laradu

I'm in the same situation

Post by laradu »

ericalm wrote:Sending you a PM with instructions.
Hello, I'm in the same situation, I've locked my keys in my trunk. Could you please send me the instructions for opening the trunk?
tully1970

please PM me with the solution to this. I am currently stuck

Post by tully1970 »

please PM me with the solution to this. I am currently stuck in Sihanouk at 915pm with no tools and the hire place have no intention of helping me out.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Re: please PM me with the solution to this. I am currently s

Post by jrsjr »

tully1970 wrote:please PM me with the solution to this. I am currently stuck in Sihanouk at 915pm with no tools and the hire place have no intention of helping me out.
I'm not the keeper of the secret instructions, but they will not work on your bike. The instructions are specific only to Taiwan-made PGO MyBuBu scooters. Sorry. Good Luck!
mikebuddy

left keys in my pocket

Post by mikebuddy »

left my keys in my left hand side pants pocket, how do i get them out without using my right hand.
az_slynch

Re: left keys in my pocket

Post by az_slynch »

mikebuddy wrote:left my keys in my left hand side pants pocket, how do i get them out without using my right hand.
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
tremonkey

Post by tremonkey »

Dang. Just locked my key in my seat also. What a dunce! Can sometime PM me the instructions?
skier4x4

locked my keys under the seat

Post by skier4x4 »

I have also locked myself out of my scooter. the keys are un der the seat can someone send me the instructions please...thank you.

Thank you for all the help. You can cvlose this post I have my keys now. I appreciate all the help.
Last edited by skier4x4 on Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
tremonkey

Post by tremonkey »

I was actually able to resolve by Car2Go'ing home and getting my extra set so I'm all set.
Thor

What's the secret?

Post by Thor »

Yes, I idiotically locked my keys inside the seat. A PM with the way to get them out would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

I suggest telling all these people to call their dealer. I have a real problem believing this constant stream of 1 post visitors that have locked their keys into the carrier. We also never hear from them again.

I suspect we're being visited by people with less than honorable motives.
BeefSupreme

Post by BeefSupreme »

k1dude wrote:I suggest telling all these people to call their dealer. I have a real problem believing this constant stream of 1 post visitors that have locked their keys into the carrier. We also never hear from them again.

I suspect we're being visited by people with less than honorable motives.
I agree. I had to call out a member on the Kymco forum who responded to a 1st post "locked my keys" with step by step intructions INCLUDING pictures. Some people...
aleajensen

Help, need the method of getting into the seat

Post by aleajensen »

I totally dorked out and locked my one and only key in the seat. I got the front bolt off but I can't seem to get my hand in there without breaking the latch.

I am a true and titled owner of this buddy and am happy to prove it if you are in doubt.

Can someone pm me the way?
weixcrazei

Post by weixcrazei »

I'm stuck right now by the train station with the same exact issue. Can someone please PM me the instructions to get in there??

I just borrowed a screwdriver from the local coffee shop to attempt to loosen the bolt on the hinge but it's not budging. Please help!!