[NBR] Mysterious abandoned vintage Lambretta. What to do?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Kerrara

[NBR] Mysterious abandoned vintage Lambretta. What to do?

Post by Kerrara »

So this old, old scooter has been sitting around in the garage of my apartment building since I've been there. It's a Lambretta TV 175, which according to Google dates it back to the 60's.

I finally got the story of the scooter from the apartment manager - it's been abandoned for at least 13 years (last tags are from 2000), nobody in the building owns it anymore. Apparently a couple people looked into taking it, but he said that because of SF law anyone that wanted to do that would have to pay all the back registration - which is about $3000.

It just feels a shame to let a classic scooter like that just sit and dry rot for another decade. Is it worth trying to save?

skully93

Post by skully93 »

That would be a shame! I know nothing about them, but at least on the outside it's in good condition. who knows what's going on inside, but....

You'd think SF would want to allow you to do something with it. 3k means it will eventually be recycled.

I wonder if the apartment complex would be open to you finding another avenue?
Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

If you got the money I say HELL YEAH!!! 60's n 70's Lambrettas have a high re-sale value if you decide you don't want it. I know I would snap that up...
Kerrara

Post by Kerrara »

there's a SF scooter center sticker on it. Presumably they rebuilt it - maybe they have some records to guess at the value/state of the scoot? That being said, most scooter stores don't seem to have that good of record keeping - it'd be a long shot.
Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

I won't lie, but it most likely will need a bit of mechanical work but if I could've found that scoot before I bought my Stella I would have went with that one. The frame looks strait and it looks good but it has been sitting for quite a while which means having to fix it up. But I like that sorta challenge and been meaning to learn more about fixing my own scoots beyond the basic stuff....
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

Darn. I'm signed in but can't see the pics!
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

All vintage scoots need constant wrenching. It's just the way of it. Just like classic cars...
Kerrara

Post by Kerrara »

Tocsik wrote:Darn. I'm signed in but can't see the pics!
try this - I may have messed it up

http://i39.tinypic.com/35me9w0.jpg

http://i44.tinypic.com/34y7juu.jpg
Syd

Post by Syd »

What's your address? I'll come pick it up. No worries about CA registration fees in AZ!
The majority is always sane - Nessus
still shifting

Post by still shifting »

A little more info is perhaps in order here. R

r
Hellvis

Post by Hellvis »

I don't understand what you mean by back registration? Why would you owe taxes if it wasn't registered? That doesn't make sense to me. I would get that scooter and have it titled and registered, I don't think it would cost 3000.00

If I were you I would find out on my own what if the manager has any objection if you take the sccoter and then go to the registration place and find out what is needed instead of relying of some information that some people did a while ago.

Just my 2 cents.

I think it def. would be worth it, some of the models sell for 6k to 7k, of course I don't know how much this one would sell for.
Live long and prosper.
Kerrara

Post by Kerrara »

Clearly I need to do a bit more research. Luckily I have a bit of time off work coming up that will allow me to do the DMV runaround and see if I can track down the actual owner.
siobhan

Post by siobhan »

if trying to register in CA, you have to pay back reg. Register it in Vermont and then roll it over to CA, solution solved (perhaps, check with your local DMV). Just make sure the VIN checks out as not stolen.

I've registered plenty of under 300cc bikes in VT with bill of sale.

http://dmv.vermont.gov/forms/drivers#registration
Form VD119
10 years old and older under 300cc ... you're golden

although CA is its own weirdness...happy to not live there anymore.

Lammys are worth money and FUN FUN FUN to ride, 'specially if you're a girl :lol:
Make sure it's not a VietBodge...and welcome to the "push it like you stole it" club.
hg3

Post by hg3 »

Please keep us informed concerning DMV visit.

Harry
hewl35

Post by hewl35 »

When I lived in California I bought old old old cars that hadn't ran in 30 to 40 years and ran into the back tax/registration problem before. I got around it at the DMV by getting a certificate of non operation. Supposedly the former owner had to sign it which really could be anyone to sign the persons' name. Its not like the DMV has a truth meter behind the counters and will lock you up...... This was suggested to me by a DMV clerk.
hg3

Post by hg3 »

I had heard this too.
Syd

Post by Syd »

Seriously, you don't need the trouble. Just PM me your address. :lol: :lol:
The majority is always sane - Nessus
TVB

Post by TVB »

I'm sure they require "back registration" to be paid up based on the assumption that you've been riding it all these years and just got away with it until now. That is incorrect. And I'd have no qualms jumping thru a few hoops to evade a requirement that's based on a faulty assumption.
C2

Post by C2 »

Kerrara wrote:there's a SF scooter center sticker on it. Presumably they rebuilt it - maybe they have some records to guess at the value/state of the scoot? That being said, most scooter stores don't seem to have that good of record keeping - it'd be a long shot.
Definitely talk to Barry at SF Scooter Center... they should know something about it. They are also a one of the best shops around for fixing/restoring vintage Lambrettas if you do buy it.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Hellvis wrote: I think it def. would be worth it, some of the models sell for 6k to 7k, of course I don't know how much this one would sell for.
Condition is everything...if it's been sitting for 15 years it is probably going to need a full rebuild.
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
hg3

Post by hg3 »

I just spoke with a Berkeley Officer - Put a lean on it and then it is the DMV du†y to search for the original owner and if they do not find or get a reply then the scooter is yours free. If they find an owner he/she either has it on non-op …… or he/she owns a heck of lot of back fees.

Sometimes you can find a DMV person who will work with you and help you through this process the trick here is to find just that person.

I am abetting person and bet the DMV does not find an owner. Then all you are looking at is maybe a rebuild. {ouch ? }

Keep us informed.
toot

Abandoned Scooter

Post by toot »

Sometimes if you go to the DMV you can ask if they will waive the penalties, but you still have to pay the reg fees... It may be worth your time and money to own a classic scooter :?: :?: :?: :) :) :) :)
Kovudom

Post by Kovudom »

Kerrara wrote:That being said, most scooter stores don't seem to have that good of record keeping - it'd be a long shot.
Curs....I mean Thank God for Quickbooks...
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

hg3 wrote:I just spoke with a Berkeley Officer - Put a lean on it and then it is the DMV du†y to search for the original owner and if they do not find or get a reply then the scooter is yours free. .
No, the landlord gets it free. OP is in an apartment building.
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
Kerrara

Post by Kerrara »

so with a belated update. The apartment manager got ahold of the property company and it turns out that the scoot is.. property of the building. I'm assuming when the building changed property owners the scooter came with it. So now it's a question as to whether the building company will sell it back to me.

Investigation ongoing..
hg3

Post by hg3 »

Good luck on this. Keep us informed
Howardr

Post by Howardr »

Some quick google searching makes it look like a Series II like this one would be worth about $3k. Closer to $4k if fully restored, although they may be worth a bit more in Cali.

The Series II was considerably more reliable than Series I.

They are absolutely beautiful bikes and this will have quite the "barn find" kind of story if you can find a way to acquire the bike for a decent price.

Howard
Iron Butt Association Member Number 42256
Club - The Sky Island Riders.
Publisher: The Scooter 'Zine thescooterzine.com
pattio

Post by pattio »

No, Series 3. Series 2 are more rounded. I detect English style influences in the custom paint, and 2000 was when the Internet bubble was bursting, so a lot of folks ( including me) left SF at that time when our cushy tech jobs dried up. I bet the owner chose to just deal with it later on their way out of town (and in this case maybe out of the country) and then never got around to it. Doesn't have the Vietnam warning signs, but still might be a dressed up li model rather than a tv. Does not look like 13 years grime, I think someone at least dusted it off more than once since 2000.