Eyes tearing up in the wind -

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

RoaringTodd

Eyes tearing up in the wind -

Post by RoaringTodd »

Hello Guys -

I've been riding for about a year now. I have not yet found a good way to avoid my eyes tearing when riding above 45mph.

I've tried a plastic deflector on my 3/4 helmet, it looks totally geeky. The smudges and scratches that inevitably occur distracts.

I just purchased goggles and tried them out. I was uncomfortable with how I was viewing things through the goggles. It seems like I was looking through two toilet paper rolls pressed together. I had very little peripheral vision.

I should add that I have severe astigmatism, so having those wrap around sunglasses will not work for me.

Does anyone have any suggestions? An old time biker told me once he has gotten so used to it, that his eyes do not tear up any more. I'm not quite comfortable with that.

-RT
Just because I am Deaf ... does not mean I can't roar.
Syd

Post by Syd »

The only way is to keep the wind off your face, so different goggles or a fullface helmet.

I have the opposite problem - I get dry eyes. For a while I used a home-made, uh, pillow that was about 1 -2" wide and long enough to fill the space between the cheek pads of my fullface helmet. Worked perfectly.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

The Face shield on my 3/4 solves it for me.
Do you use an actual shield or just something you rigged?
Glasses, goggles and/or (some will say) a Full Face helmet is the only way to go.
Try something like the military issue 'combat goggles/glasses' that look like cool shades but they have the added protection of a foam 'gasket' that seal around the ocular ridge....

There's several good options here: http://www.rangerjoes.com/Glasses-C359.aspx

My son actually wears his under his FF helmet too.
http://store.selfdefensearmory.com/sg-1 ... le-p1.aspx
Aging is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My kids call me 'crazy', I prefer 'Eccentric'.
Nullius in verba
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

Foamers or any motorcycle glasses or sunglasses with foam edges; specifically designed to keep the wind out of your eyes.
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
RoaringTodd

Post by RoaringTodd »

It's actually a face shield on my 3/4 I was talking about. Not a deflector.

Foam lined glasses will not work, as I need to wear my glasses due to severe astigmatism.
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

RoaringTodd wrote:It's actually a face shield on my 3/4 I was talking about. Not a deflector.

Foam lined glasses will not work, as I need to wear my glasses due to severe astigmatism.
Ahhhhh...... as I cannot wear contacts I have worn goggles that fit over my glasses and hated them for the 'tunnel vision' issues as you stated. There aren't many alternatives, many of the glasses I mention are 'prescription-able'
I am lucky as to not have too much of an issue with my 3/4 and it's face shield.
Last edited by KABarash on Mon May 13, 2013 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nullius in verba
skipper20

Re: Eyes tearing up in the wind -

Post by skipper20 »

RoaringTodd wrote:Hello Guys -

I've been riding for about a year now. I have not yet found a good way to avoid my eyes tearing when riding above 45mph.

I've tried a plastic deflector on my 3/4 helmet, it looks totally geeky. The smudges and scratches that inevitably occur distracts.

I just purchased goggles and tried them out. I was uncomfortable with how I was viewing things through the goggles. It seems like I was looking through two toilet paper rolls pressed together. I had very little peripheral vision.

I should add that I have severe astigmatism, so having those wrap around sunglasses will not work for me.

Does anyone have any suggestions? An old time biker told me once he has gotten so used to it, that his eyes do not tear up any more. I'm not quite comfortable with that.

-RT
How about a windshield/windscreen on your bike?

Bill in Seattle
'12 170i Italia with Prima windshield
KABarash

Re: Eyes tearing up in the wind -

Post by KABarash »

skipper20 wrote:
RoaringTodd wrote:Hello Guys -

-RT
How about a windshield/windscreen on your bike?

Bill in Seattle
'12 170i Italia with Prima windshield
THAT has helped me greatly as well......
Nullius in verba
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Many helmets now have both a face screen and a flip down sunscreen. They are made to work over glasses. At various times I wear a Bell Mag-8 3/4 helmet with face screen, a Nolan N43e helmet with facescreen and sunscreen, and a Scorpion EXO 900 Modular with facescreen and sunscreen. All work fine over my glasses.
Attachments
Nolan N43.jpg
Nolan N43.jpg (31.54 KiB) Viewed 1544 times
Scooterboi

Post by Scooterboi »

Prescription M/C glasses?
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

RoaringTodd wrote:It's actually a face shield on my 3/4 I was talking about. Not a deflector.

Ah, I missed that bit.
Hmmm. I wonder if the deflector is actually just directing the wind upward under your glasses more than it would without it. I think your best bet is going to be a full-face helmet.
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

Seconded on the helmets with a built-in sunshade. I just slide it down right in front of my glasses and then I can ride with the outer visor open.

I use a modular helmet to avoid the helmet-glasses juggling act. I can just open the chinbar and put on/take off the helmet easily.

I went ahead and got a pair of prescription wrap-around shades as well. They sit relatively close to the face and prevent the "watery eye" issue for me. It used to be a major issue for me when I was being a goober and riding sans helmet, but I adapted over time. Now, it's just a non-issue between a well-designed helmet and prescription shades.

As an aside, here's too "good to know" things related to this topic:

Air will flow around your glasses and into your eyes at speeds as low as 16mph.

Prescription sunglasses are a qualifying medical expense on most HSA plans. They count towards your deductible too, so buy 'em earlier in the year.
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
skully93

Post by skully93 »

having the same condition in the left eye, both of my Scorpion helmets have the flip down visor that goes right over glasses.

Chances are it will get smudged, and most visors are made so that if you look at them in a threatening manner (i.e., use them at all, ever) they become scratched. My solution is to not care, and buy a new visor when it becomes too scratched. The internal sun visors are much less prone to this and seem to be fine.
iMoses

Post by iMoses »

I understand about needing prescription glasses (I wear mine to bed to see my dreams clearly).

I use a modular helmet, no issues with teary eyes. Unless I flip up my visor.
fossel

Post by fossel »

I changed to some real wrap arounds and no problem now!
Snap

Post by Snap »

Having had that problem for a lifetime of riding I finally found the ultimate solution last year at my eyeglass dealer.
Cocoons come in different sizes to fit over different eyeglass sizes.
No tunnelvision, fit great and can have polarized lenses of different colors. NO WIND in the eyes using an open helmet.

I use the model "Pilot L", #305a.

They can be found at some glasses shops and on line at any dealers, but you'd want to try them to fit your glasses without going all out to the Very large frames.

Check them out: http://www.cocoonseyewear.com/
RoaringTodd

Post by RoaringTodd »

THANKS

For all your responses. My eyes are so bad with astigmatism I have to wear glasses to pee. Otherwise I'd miss the toilet.

They can not make wrap around RX glasses for me due to the shape of lenses my glasses need to have. If you would look at my glasses from the top down, you would see at the nose part it being thin, and then going from the nose to the temple progressively getting thicker. Yep that's astigmatism.

I'll have to check out those cocoon glasses. The more expensive option I guess would be a modular helmet, or to suck up my "Scooter Fashionita" pride and wear a 3/4 with face shield.

-RT
avonpirate

Post by avonpirate »

Panoptx, full cupped, with full face shield..... awsome solution for me. :)
She with the most 'used' toys wins.

olhogrider

Post by olhogrider »

Check out mountaineering shops. Those guys wear what look like glasses with leather side curtains. Sometimes just the shape of the frames can be enough to make a difference. I have had good luck with $10 Wayfarer knock-offs. Better than actual Wayfarers by Ray Ban. (Think Blues Brothers)