2014 Piaggio Fly 150 3v... It's official.... it's here!!!

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Alexbv200
Dealer

2014 Piaggio Fly 150 3v... It's official.... it's here!!!

Post by Alexbv200 »

JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

love it.

do i have to ride it to think it the best all around small scooter? i don't think i have to. it looks good, it sounds good from those who have rode it, and it would seem practical as hell and mechanically sound

if i had to choose one small scooter and one only (and you never know i might do just that) it would be this one based on what i see and have read.

love it.
Riding is riding
ScooterMASS

Post by ScooterMASS »

I don't care for the way the dash looks myself. But...It's so solid @ $2899.00 The problem? What is the OTD price? Piaggio is well known for their insane fees. I bet you'll be in for $300.00 freight, set up & doc fees galore! If it gets close to $3700.00, it's not worth it IMHO. The Piaggio dealers count on this! Not unlike many other dealers do as well.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

ScooterMASS wrote: What is the OTD price? Piaggio is well known for their insane fees. I bet you'll be in for $300.00 freight, set up & doc fees galore!
I have seen several members post versions of this observation. It puzzles me. I have purchased 4 different Vespa/Piaggio scooters through recent years as well as a Buddy and a Yamaha scooter. Yes, the OTD price of each included a shipping fee and a set-up fee. This includes the Buddy and the Yamaha. How did the shipping and set-up fees for the Buddy and the Yamaha compare to the Piaggio bikes. Very similar. In particular, the fees for the Buddy were no less than any of the others in my case. (and by doc fees, I presume you mean state registration - yes, there was a state registration fee - same in each case)
anthony

Post by anthony »

I have to say, despite what I said in an earlier thread, it doesn't look half bad. After reviewing the older pics that were posted, it appears there are some small differences- leg shield area is not as "fat" and the head lamp & head lamp area is more rounded and less waspish (one of the design elements I dislike about sport-styled scooters). It's true, it does look like a buddy with a more modern look. Not too bad and way better than the pictures that were previously posted (it has much more character now imo), and if for some reason I was in the market for a scooter that was very similar to the one I've already got, I might go with this one (I still like the Like though - it'd be a tough decision).
ScooterMASS

Post by ScooterMASS »

Dooglas wrote:
ScooterMASS wrote: What is the OTD price? Piaggio is well known for their insane fees. I bet you'll be in for $300.00 freight, set up & doc fees galore!
I have seen several members post versions of this observation. It puzzles me. I have purchased 4 different Vespa/Piaggio scooters through recent years as well as a Buddy and a Yamaha scooter. Yes, the OTD price of each included a shipping fee and a set-up fee. This includes the Buddy and the Yamaha. How did the shipping and set-up fees for the Buddy and the Yamaha compare to the Piaggio bikes. Very similar. In particular, the fees for the Buddy were no less than any of the others in my case. (and by doc fees, I presume you mean state registration - yes, there was a state registration fee - same in each case)
Piaggio quoted me (last year BV350) $300.00 in freight, $295.00 prep & $225.00 in doc fees. This has nothing to do with sales tax, registration, plates etc. This is simply a "fee" they claim covers their cost to do the paperwork. So...retail price, plus $820 in fees. (Vespa Boston) No thank you.
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

bet i could eliminate those doc fees and slash the prep in half. if not eliminate it, too. i always think just make a reasonable, whole number offer on scooters, bikes, cars....its always what i have done with good results

i will give a dealer retail on a bike, and a reasonable amount over. what is reasonable is up to me. i want to establish a good relationship with a dealer but it needs to work both ways from the start

here in California we get sales tax right off. its 8.25%. i'd round up to 10% and let the dealer have that little extra. i won't pay doc fees, pay prep up to $200. might have to do freight on this one. most likely, yeah.

add DMV and it is a near $4,000 scooter even with the give and take. and i like it enough to take it at that price as a long term scooter

but, used might be a better option. bet low mileage ones will be going for $2500 soon enough. if not a bit more :)
Riding is riding
hg3

Post by hg3 »

I have just email a couple different dealers here in Northern California for there OTD price. I report back if either responds.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

ScooterMASS wrote:Piaggio quoted me (last year BV350) $300.00 in freight, $295.00 prep & $225.00 in doc fees. This has nothing to do with sales tax, registration, plates etc. This is simply a "fee" they claim covers their cost to do the paperwork. So...retail price, plus $820 in fees. (Vespa Boston) No thank you.
Piaggio does not sell scooters retail. You are really saying that a scooter dealer (who probably sells several makes) quoted you A + B + C. The Kymco dealer around here is also a Vespa dealer. They include transportation cost in the OTD price of each of their scooters - Vespa and Kymco. They include a set-up charge in the OTD price of each scooter - for comparable Vespa and Kymco scooters the set-up charge is the same. The only "document fee" they charge is the Oregon DMV registration fee - it is the same for all scooters of similar engine size. And there is some negotiation on the final OTD price as with any other dealer. (Plus, as I commented earlier, the shipping and set-up charges for the Buddy which I purchased from another dealer were similar)
hal888

Post by hal888 »

I can't see any helmet pegs in the picture with the seat up. A FF helmet won't fit under the seat, and I would need to keep the helmet hooked onto a helmet peg. Seems like such a minor point given the major upgrade in the engine and design. :?
still shifting

Post by still shifting »

I guess I must make a trip to the local dealer and the one in Santa Fe to see in person, and check the price. R
ggs34

fly 150

Post by ggs34 »

do you think it will really get 130mpg?
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

ggs34 wrote:do you think it will really get 130mpg?
I would be surprised if it was quite that good in normal use. The claimed mpg of the 4T Stella is up in this range also. Most riders report something lower. On the other hand, the mileage of the LX 150 is typically around 75 or so. I am expecting the new 3V engine to do a bit better, which is saying something as it puts out more HP than the older engine.
Quo Vadimus

Post by Quo Vadimus »

I am pretty excited about this guy. HOWEVER...

I assume that original post on MV is from a dealer, who claims '6k service intervals,' which I assumed to mean prescribed service intervals every 6,000 miles? Piaggio website is not friendly to my devices, but I swear when it was working for me the other day, they had a service scheduled every 2,000 miles on the specs. That's a BIG difference.

Also yeah, I want helmet pegs. Otherwise it becomes a much bigger pain for the grocery bags.
brianwheelies

Post by brianwheelies »

Quo Vadimus wrote:I am pretty excited about this guy. HOWEVER...

I assume that original post on MV is from a dealer, who claims '6k service intervals,' which I assumed to mean prescribed service intervals every 6,000 miles? Piaggio website is not friendly to my devices, but I swear when it was working for me the other day, they had a service scheduled every 2,000 miles on the specs. That's a BIG difference.

Also yeah, I want helmet pegs. Otherwise it becomes a much bigger pain for the grocery bags.
There is something wrong with the webpage. Probably updating the 150, hence its details are N/A.

It does have extended service intervals just as the BV350. BV being even better.
hg3

Post by hg3 »

I am getting the Piaggio Scooters site but it still does not show the 2014 model. Just the previous model. :-( still waiting for email on OTD price.
Alexbv200
Dealer

Post by Alexbv200 »

Piaggio updated the Fly 50 but not yet the 150.
It DOES have service intervals of 6,000 miles after the initial service at 650.
MPG will be over 120 MPG.
scullyfu

Post by scullyfu »

hg3 wrote:I am getting the Piaggio Scooters site but it still does not show the 2014 model. Just the previous model. :-( still waiting for email on OTD price.
here in buffalo i was quoted an OTD price of $3761.16. he doesn't have one in cuz he pushed back some of his orders due to a late spring here.

i'm waiting for a reply from another dealer in rochester to see if he has one in the storeroom cuz i'd like to sit on it and take it for a spin before plopping down my moola. i also asked what his price is OTD.

p.s., pegs would be super!
WE'RE GOING THE WRONG WAY!!! Starbuck, BSG
brianwheelies

Post by brianwheelies »

scullyfu wrote:
hg3 wrote:I am getting the Piaggio Scooters site but it still does not show the 2014 model. Just the previous model. :-( still waiting for email on OTD price.
here in buffalo i was quoted an OTD price of $3761.16. he doesn't have one in cuz he pushed back some of his orders due to a late spring here.

i'm waiting for a reply from another dealer in rochester to see if he has one in the storeroom cuz i'd like to sit on it and take it for a spin before plopping down my moola. i also asked what his price is OTD.

That is a lot in fees $$$
scullyfu

Post by scullyfu »

brianwheelies wrote:
scullyfu wrote:

That is a lot in fees $$$
i agree, but my comparison it was about the same amount i paid for my 2007 italia in seattle. can someone please advise me on how to talk a dealer down on some of the charges? how about getting some product in lieu of a price reduction? (i know he won't drop the price of the scooter, i've gone down that road with him before). thanks!
WE'RE GOING THE WRONG WAY!!! Starbuck, BSG
brianwheelies

Post by brianwheelies »

As a buyer, you hold the purchasing power. Remember he gets the vehicle at a discounted rate to sell at retail plus tax to make a profit.

It does not cost an additional 30% to the msrp to sell a bike.

Maybe bring cash for what you are willing to pay.
anthony

Post by anthony »

scullyfu wrote: i agree, but my comparison it was about the same amount i paid for my 2007 italia in seattle. can someone please advise me on how to talk a dealer down on some of the charges? how about getting some product in lieu of a price reduction? (i know he won't drop the price of the scooter, i've gone down that road with him before). thanks!

viewtopic.php?p=137483#137476
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

brianwheelies wrote:It does not cost an additional 30% to the msrp to sell a bike.
Most of that added OTD cost is not additional dealer profit however. The shipping charge is a real cost to the dealer. The set-up is a real cost but the dealer can choose to discount it somewhat. Registration fees and sales tax are real costs that the dealer does not control. Items like sales tax are one reason why OTD costs vary so much from state to state when posters try to compare costs. OTD add-ons around here tend to total about $600 as we have no sales tax and registration/licensing fees are low. Dealers can also choose to reduce their profit margin by some amount depending on the situation. Not too much of that goes on with a new bike in short supply, however.
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

The local Vespa dealer in my neck of the woods wanted a grand total of $3800 for a $2699 Piaggio Typhoon 125. That is around $1100 in fees, and when I tried to negotiate the sales person gruffly responded that there is a "zero haggle" policy and that if a premium product was "out of my range" then perhaps another bike was a better fit.

Condescending, elitist and overpriced. That's the Piaggio way.

On the flipside, the Honda PCX125 was about $600 in fees (nearly half!) and my Kymco Agility 125? $2135 OTD. That is only $336 in fees! True, Kymco equates freight along with the price (at the time) and the shop is a small joint who just got the Kymco dealer (Performance Scooters of Scottsdale) and were totally quick and ready to go with the bike in but hours after purchase. But, the experience at a Vespa dealer was the same kind you get when you walk into an Apple store and aren't dressed as a power broker or a hipster with $300 skinny jeans and designer lens less eyeglass frame. Piaggio in the US thinks they are better than everyone because, well, they make Vespa. And, honestly their sales aren't the top dog in the rest of the world. Yes, the US is worth nothing to them, and they think we should be licking their boots to be allowed to be screwed by them in fees.

Personally, I'm over Piaggio. A scooter is supposed to be efficient, AFFORDABLE and fun! Dealing with the modern Vespa pushers in my experience has been anything but fun and DEFINITELY not affordable or efficient. Besides, anyone who sells a Chinese-Made Vespa S150 for only a couple of hundred less than the Italian version that has more steel is pretty shady anyways
"Earth" without Art is just "Eh"...

<a href="http://slowkidsscootergang.wordpress.com/">The Slow Kids Scooter Gang</a>
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

neotrotsky wrote:Condescending, elitist and overpriced. That's the Piaggio way.
No, that is the way of the dealer you were trying to work with. As I just observed above, the total add-ons for comparable bikes at my local Vespa/Piaggio dealer is about half the fees you quote. (You don't like the local Piaggio dealer. We get that. :wink: )
Quo Vadimus

Post by Quo Vadimus »

neotrotsky wrote:But, the experience at a Vespa dealer was the same kind you get when you walk into an Apple store and aren't dressed as a power broker or a hipster with $300 skinny jeans and designer lens less eyeglass frame.
To be fair, it was always my understanding that everyone got treated that way at the Apple Store, it's just that the brokers and hipsters enjoy it. :D
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Quo Vadimus wrote:
neotrotsky wrote:But, the experience at a Vespa dealer was the same kind you get when you walk into an Apple store and aren't dressed as a power broker or a hipster with $300 skinny jeans and designer lens less eyeglass frame.
To be fair, it was always my understanding that everyone got treated that way at the Apple Store, it's just that the brokers and hipsters enjoy it. :D
Aren't we talking about the Piaggio models here? They are priced comparably to most Genuine and Kymco models. I can't imagine anyone riding one feels any more "elite" than anyone else. I don't :wink: .
hg3

Post by hg3 »

One of the dealers replied and here it is:

"In addition to the price of the bike, you have to add for tax (based on where you register it), title, manufacturer's destination (350) and dealer pdi/ prep (295)."

So far then here in N. Calif.w/tax - : $ 891.42 OR 3790.42
2899 * 0.085 + 350 + 295 + 2899
= 3790.415

When I check in person with him I will get the complete figures, in two weeks. As I am out of town at present.
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

$295 for prep? Sheesh, do they have to install the frickin' engine?
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

The Vespa is NOT priced comparable to the competition... that part is clearly understood. As for the dealer, I've heard many complain about the average of a grand to $1200 just to get out the door in many states. Piaggio isn't going to change that because they don't give two shits about the US market.

Genuine and Kymco's fees ARE cheaper, by at least half. When I was buying my current bike, Vespa was out of the question. I'm still on the fence about a buddy: They look great, the performance and reliability is the best in it's class but the ergos are just *slightly* too small. I dunno if it's still enough to keep me away... Saw a black one all chromed out and it REALLY looked nice...

I just don't think Piaggios are worth enough to deal with the lousy customer service and "Vespa tax" you have to put up with. It's a shame because I LOVE vintage Vespas. I just hate what Vespa has become. It's not the people's scooter anymore. It's much like Volkswagen: The average working class schlep can't afford a Beetle when you compare it to a Kia, Nissan Versa, Chevy spark or Fiat 500 even. Vespas were popular because you got a lot for your money and they looked GOOD too for being so cheap. The Beetle was the same way: Cheap, simple but cute and very signature with lots of room to modify and customize.

But, as with all things, they sell out. It's cyclical and Piaggio thinks that shoving everything they make up market will work for them. There is a reason Honda and Kymco are beating them in sales worldwide: Piaggio forgot what made them popular in the first place

<a href="http://slowkidsscootergang.wordpress.com/">The Slow Kids Scooter Gang</a>
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

I really dig the 3v and as I've said before and elsewhere am eager for the 3V LX.

$2899 is a very competitive price for this model.
Honda's SH150 was $4,499 with a destination charge of $310 plus taxes, PDI, etc.
The PCX 150 is $3,449 + $310 and taxes, PDI, etc..
A Kymco Movie 150 is $3,199 plus shipping, taxes, PDI, etc. It's… not great.

The "Vespa premium" doesn't apply at all here. The Piaggio line isn't their flagship, luxury line. It's their mid-range, practical line. (I'm not sure what Aprilia is but neither is Piaggio, ha. J/K! Sort of.)

If you're looking at OTD prices, it makes sense to ask what they are for other makes and models and compare them.

Dealer prep fees should be standard for most scooters a shop sells. If it's not, ask why. (A Stella takes much longer to prep correctly.) The shipping/destination fees are charged by the manufacturer/distributor.

Dealer profit margins vary by manufacturer/distributor, but they're pretty low for Vespa/Piaggio, making it harder for dealers to cut their prices unless Piaggio offers them scoots at a discount. (Now's the time to get an MP3 250 if you can find one!)

Always ask for an itemization of fees added to MSRP and have the dealer explain them. I have heard stories and seen evidence of some unscrupulous dealers gouging buyers or padding the added costs, but this is rare and has nothing to do with Vespa vs. anyone else. Some people are just scumbags.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

neotrotsky wrote:The Vespa is NOT priced comparable to the competition... that part is clearly understood. As for the dealer, I've heard many complain about the average of a grand to $1200 just to get out the door in many states. Piaggio isn't going to change that because they don't give two shits about the US market.

Genuine and Kymco's fees ARE cheaper, by at least half. When I was buying my current bike, Vespa was out of the question.
Now, now. Come on. We are talking about the Piaggio models here. The MSRP certainly IS priced comparably to the competition! And you are just plain wrong about the fees on Piaggio scooters being higher than other models across the country. Genuine and Kymco fees are NOT cheaper by half in the market around here, and I've got the documentation to prove it. I'll say again - if you've had a bad experience with your local Piaggio dealer, so be it. And if you don't like the upscale marketing of the Vespa models, so be it again (though the Vespa is a darned good scooter in my opinion). None of that changes the fact that Piaggio models such as the new Fly 150 and the BV 350 are among the most interesting scooters in the U.S. market today and priced competitively.
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

Dooglas wrote:
neotrotsky wrote:The Vespa is NOT priced comparable to the competition... that part is clearly understood. As for the dealer, I've heard many complain about the average of a grand to $1200 just to get out the door in many states. Piaggio isn't going to change that because they don't give two shits about the US market.

Genuine and Kymco's fees ARE cheaper, by at least half. When I was buying my current bike, Vespa was out of the question.
Now, now. Come on. We are talking about the Piaggio models here. The MSRP certainly IS priced comparably to the competition! And you are just plain wrong about the fees on Piaggio scooters being higher than other models across the country. Genuine and Kymco fees are NOT cheaper by half in the market around here, and I've got the documentation to prove it. I'll say again - if you've had a bad experience with your local Piaggio dealer, so be it. And if you don't like the upscale marketing of the Vespa models, so be it again (though the Vespa is a darned good scooter in my opinion). None of that changes the fact that Piaggio models such as the new Fly 150 and the BV 350 are among the most interesting scooters in the U.S. market today and priced competitively.
You're VERY quick to defend the extra fees they add on. You're also very quick to try to assume that my experience is the only experience. I can guarantee you that any piaggio dealer will have more fees than the competition. It's the way they work. Phoenix is not the only place I've lived that had a Vespa dealer, and it's been the same story. I was stupid enough to fall for it once, only to find out parts could take up to 4 MONTHS depending on how the Italian government was feeling about holidays and labor disputes and how Piaggio decided to deal with it to make the most money.

It is just a fact that the MSRP of a Piaggio product is only a bait to get you in the stealership.

neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

ericalm wrote:I really dig the 3v and as I've said before and elsewhere am eager for the 3V LX.

$2899 is a very competitive price for this model.
Honda's SH150 was $4,499 with a destination charge of $310 plus taxes, PDI, etc.
The PCX 150 is $3,449 + $310 and taxes, PDI, etc..
A Kymco Movie 150 is $3,199 plus shipping, taxes, PDI, etc. It's… not great.

The "Vespa premium" doesn't apply at all here. The Piaggio line isn't their flagship, luxury line. It's their mid-range, practical line. (I'm not sure what Aprilia is but neither is Piaggio, ha. J/K! Sort of.)

If you're looking at OTD prices, it makes sense to ask what they are for other makes and models and compare them.

Dealer prep fees should be standard for most scooters a shop sells. If it's not, ask why. (A Stella takes much longer to prep correctly.) The shipping/destination fees are charged by the manufacturer/distributor.

Dealer profit margins vary by manufacturer/distributor, but they're pretty low for Vespa/Piaggio, making it harder for dealers to cut their prices unless Piaggio offers them scoots at a discount. (Now's the time to get an MP3 250 if you can find one!)

Always ask for an itemization of fees added to MSRP and have the dealer explain them. I have heard stories and seen evidence of some unscrupulous dealers gouging buyers or padding the added costs, but this is rare and has nothing to do with Vespa vs. anyone else. Some people are just scumbags.
The Movie 150 seems like a step backwards for Kymco if you ask me... both design-wise and pricing. But that's my opinion.

I understand that on paper, the MSRP is tempting, but where are the manufacturing the bike? Where are they shipping it to? What is the competitive market like? If they are, like the Vespa S150, making that scooter in their Chinese factory where overhead is much, MUCH lower than in Italy and then only charging a few hundred less than the LX150 made in Italy, there is much more profit for Piaggio there. Same holds for their other bikes.

While the Fly 150 is priced well at the MSRP, I know that dealing with Piaggio means that I will end up paying the most in fees. My local Kymco/Genuine dealer has VERY clear and up front pricing, as do most of the local Honda dealers. They have no problem describing why they charge what they do. Out of the three Vespa dealers I've dealt with in my life, not ONE were willing to discuss the nature of the "fees" other than to say they were "non-negotiable" before I even asked until I threatened to walk out the door. Still did on two occasions, and while the GTS250ie was nice, I should of walked out the third time

Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

neotrotsky wrote:You're VERY quick to defend the extra fees they add on. You're also very quick to try to assume that my experience is the only experience. I can guarantee you that any piaggio dealer will have more fees than the competition. It's the way they work.
I'm not defending anything. I'm saying that in my experience the fees on Piaggio scooters are no different than other brands at dealers I frequent. There are three Vespa/Piaggio dealers in my area. One sells Vespas, Piaggios, and Kymcos. The second sells Vespas, Piaggios, Genuines (Buddys and Stellas), and Syms. The third sells only Vespas and Piaggios. The fees among brands are much the same and the fees from dealer to dealer are similar. I have been in most every other dealer in the Northwest at one time or another and have not noticed any dramatic differences. Of course, others will do their own comparative assessment and draw their own conclusions - but those are mine based on several actual purchases.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

The Fly is built in China, but so is the higher-priced Kymco Movie. The Honda PCX is built in Thailand.

Piaggio has been building engines (and some scooters) in China for many years now and there haven't been any persistent quality issues. (There were a few GTS series recalls; those are all still built in Italy with a lot of Asian components.)

This is competitive pricing now. About the only decent scooters in this size range priced lower are the Lance 125s, also built in China. And that's a much cheaper all around scoot than the Piaggio. There's a big deference in quality and fit and finish.*

I walk into a store and am gobsmacked at what a new, full-price pair of jeans costs these days. And I go into another store and am still shocked. "What's red is red," as we say on MB: they just cost a lot.

The pricing argument is a tough one to make when this is priced $300 less than a Buddy 125 and Vespa's destination fees are less than Honda's and others. Could it wind up costing the same OTD? Maybe, but unlikely coming from a dealer that sells both Piaggio and Genuine that charges the same for PDI for both (as they should).

I've had issues with a Vespa dealer as well, but that doesn't reflect on all of them or the product. Most these days sell multiple lines of scooters, not just Piaggio Group brands. And most of those I've encountered are honest small business owners who aren't out to rip off customers. They know that they make more money on the back end from loyal buyers who come to them for parts and service for years to come than they would by sticking them for an extra couple hundred bucks when they buy.

*Yes, I called the Lances "decent!" I haven't' always been a fan, but the recent models have proven much more reliable than (other?) generic Chinese scoots and the company is supporting dealers and owners better since taking over SYM in the US. The Havana 125 also solves the handling issues of the straight Joker clone Cali Classic. If someone's intent on buying cheap or getting the naked, Joker style, this is about as good as they can do in a new 125cc scoot with an MSRP under $2K.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
hg3

Post by hg3 »

This is from a dealer in Sacramento: " 2014 Fly150 and pricing. With the fees, that scooter will be right near $4000 out the door.

I will go to both dealers and check but it appears the Oakland is a couple hundred cheaper. BUT I need to talk to both in person to get the complete facts.

I will report back on this thread in about three weeks.
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

hg3 wrote:This is from a dealer in Sacramento: " 2014 Fly150 and pricing. With the fees, that scooter will be right near $4000 out the door.

I will go to both dealers and check but it appears the Oakland is a couple hundred cheaper. BUT I need to talk to both in person to get the complete facts.

So, about $1200 in "fees" on top of the MSRP. REAL competitive there, Piaggio...

I never said they weren't a fine product. When I could get parts, my GTS was an awesome automatic scoot! It's Piaggio that is the problem, not the bikes.

hg3

Post by hg3 »

The Piaggio internet site has just been updated.

http://www.piaggiousa.com/scooters.html ... fly-150-3v
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

neotrotsky wrote:
hg3 wrote:This is from a dealer in Sacramento: " 2014 Fly150 and pricing. With the fees, that scooter will be right near $4000 out the door.

So, about $1200 in "fees" on top of the MSRP. REAL competitive there, Piaggio...

I never said they weren't a fine product. When I could get parts, my GTS was an awesome automatic scoot! It's Piaggio that is the problem, not the bikes.
Again, it would be useful to compare with similarly priced models from other makes in the same area. In CA, we pay higher taxes, which also vary by country, and we pay vehicle registration with the purchase, which is not the case in many states.
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

i think its a square deal at a few hundred short of $4,000 for someone expecting to ride it regularly, and a good number of years

quality scooters cost a bit. i mean some makers have budget models like my Agility that can offer lot's of scooting for the money. but piaggio isn't one of those makers

also used deals should be sweet. otherwise dealers gotta make money, factory has to make money, suppliers. i suppose how much you give them depends on how and when you buy
Riding is riding
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

This has been a somewhat confusing thread with numbers all over the map for the new Fly 150. I offered my opinion based on past experience that OTD fees on Piaggio bikes around here are no different than other scooter brands. Some other members seemed to strongly disagree. I thought I'd do a little leg work on the subject. I visited the local Kymco/Vespa/Piaggio dealer this morning (link below). Here is what they told me. Their OTD price for the Fly 150 is $3299. Their OTD price for the Kymco Movie (pretty much a comparable scooter) is $3494. The msrp of the Movie is a little higher than the Fly so the add-on fees are essentially the same. (two things to know - this price does not include state registration for either scooter, and Oregon is a no sales tax state so prices in states such as CA will certainly be higher)

And, they didn't have one yet :wink: .

http://www.columbiascooters.com/
ggs34

new fly150

Post by ggs34 »

I see that the rate the mpg at 70 mpg not 125 mpg like the salesman said
Alexbv200
Dealer

Re: new fly150

Post by Alexbv200 »

ggs34 wrote:I see that the rate the mpg at 70 mpg not 125 mpg like the salesman said
I just saw that...
Not sure why as all the initial reports show that, this engine is good for 125 MPG..
ScooterMASS

Post by ScooterMASS »

WRONG! Dooglas....Really? Piaggio fees have ALWAYS been higher then the competition! I think it "does" matter which dealer you have in your area, but the bottom-line is that Piaggio "expects" more from the get-go. How many BV350 are discounted $1000.00 off retail? Never! Happens a decent amount with the Kymco GTi300 my friend
Alexbv200
Dealer

Post by Alexbv200 »

ScooterMASS wrote:WRONG! Dooglas....Really? Piaggio fees have ALWAYS been higher then the competition! I think it "does" matter which dealer you have in your area, but the bottom-line is that Piaggio "expects" more from the get-go. How many BV350 are discounted $1000.00 off retail? Never! Happens a decent amount with the Kymco GTi300 my friend
That's because there is not a $1,000 margin from the Invoice to M.S.R.P.
and that does not count the $350 for freight that is charged to the dealer.
It is not a fee that dealers pull out of magic.
As for the P.D.I, that varies from dealer to dealer but the average should be about $200. Some one has to pay the service department to put the bike together and make it ready for delivery.
So you expect the dealer to make $0 with each bike they sell?
I am not sure what you mean by Piaggio "expects" more from the get go.

So the Kymco gets discounted a $1,000; great.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

ScooterMASS wrote:WRONG! Dooglas....Really? Piaggio fees have ALWAYS been higher then the competition! I think it "does" matter which dealer you have in your area, but the bottom-line is that Piaggio "expects" more from the get-go. How many BV350 are discounted $1000.00 off retail? Never! Happens a decent amount with the Kymco GTi300 my friend
You really never give up, do you? Those are actual numbers from one of my local dealers. You can call the dealership and confirm, if you wish. And there are actually 3 Piaggio dealers in my area. The other two will closely match this price. And what does that have to do with discounts below MSRP on some Kymcos? For what it is worth, local Piaggio dealers are discounting any MP3s, BV250s or BV500s still in stock at well below MSRP. My closest dealer is discounting two new old stock X9s at about $2000 below MSRP. We all know that goes on but it has nothing to do with pricing of the new Fly 150.
Alexbv200
Dealer

Re: new fly150

Post by Alexbv200 »

ggs34 wrote:I see that the rate the mpg at 70 mpg not 125 mpg like the salesman said
They corrected the website and it is at 104 MPG.
ggs34

fly 150 3v

Post by ggs34 »

so how does the fly 150 3vie compare to the
new lance sym pch 150
that just gotta scoot http://www.justgottascoot.com/lancepch.htm reviewed any lance pch 150 owners on mb
Syd

Re: fly 150 3v

Post by Syd »

ggs34 wrote:so how does the fly 150 3vie compare to the
new lance sym pch 150
that just gotta scoot http://www.justgottascoot.com/lancepch.htm reviewed any lance pch 150 owners on mb
Going on only what I have heard about both, the Fly wins, hands down. The 3valve engine is supposed to be strong and smooth.
The majority is always sane - Nessus