My new (not quite) Unicorn Cruiser! Edit-with Ride Report

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

peabody99

My new (not quite) Unicorn Cruiser! Edit-with Ride Report

Post by peabody99 »

So its no secret I might be the president (at least the secretary) of the waiting for Genuine Unicorn Cruiser fan club. My first betrayal was the GTS which I love. But I longed to put my feet flatly on the ground when I stopped and then cruise economically along. Neither are possible on the lovely, mercurial Piaggio.

Most low riders left me cold and bitter as I sulked over their design. But one,while jaw droppingly ugly, always made me smile. It went so far on the spectrum of homely it was somehow awesome. If George Jetson had a scooter, this would be it (or the second runner up Morphus).

You know I'm talking about the Helix right? I know haters are gonna hate. I'm not upset-if its you, I only have pity for you because you are dead inside :lol:

it found this 1996 big nosed beauty on craiglist with 5 miles on the clock. It roars to life with a twist of the throttle and is ready to fly. What kind creature sits for 17 years, gets a new carb and battery and has to be held back? (don't worry new tires first on the list). I hope to post some pics of me sitting on the scoot this weekend, so my short legged sisterhood and brotherhood can see the scale.
Attachments
resizehelixMB.jpg
resizehelixMB.jpg (51.43 KiB) Viewed 3066 times
Last edited by peabody99 on Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Syd

Post by Syd »

Ugly, ugly,uglyuglyuglyuglyuglynice. Believe it or not, I was *this close* to buying an '87 Elite 250 (not quite in the Helix class, but near) when I bought the BV350.

I hope it treats you well until our shared ship comes in :wink: .
The majority is always sane - Nessus
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Congrats! I bet you will get your money's worth out of that scoot and some day be able to sell it for more than you paid for it. The Helix has "future classic" written large all over it. I love the Helix so much that I wrote one into a novel as the last running scooter in Georgia. It was outfitted with an infrared headlight because it had been used at night to smuggle little old ladies (with their baggage in the huge boot, natch!) across the heavily-defended GA-FLA border in 2025. The current owner used it at night to sneak into Ted Turner's burial ground at Stone Mountain, Georgia (now privately owned by his estate) for secret trysts with a beautiful red-headed security lady. No, really! I'm serious! I just hope you have as epic a time on your Helix as my protagonist did in my 2020s story. :D
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

a Helix?

well peabody, i see some dreams die hard :(
Riding is riding
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

JHScoot wrote:a Helix?

You say that now, but come 2025 and I'm piloting this rocket over the FL-GA border, you may change your tune :lol:
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

Gotta say, that seat looks very comfortable, indeed!
Enjoy that stretched-out Jetson-ian capsule! I still can't believe they put a 10" rear wheel on those :shock: .

Be sure to check out Helixparts if you need anything. Came across 'em in the past but don't know what their shipping costs are like.
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
skully93

Post by skully93 »

I was looking for one last year, but the only ones available were either too beat up or too expensive.

Congrats, I'm envious! I know in the 80's when these came out, vintage purists probably hated them. Now that the design is nearly vintage itself, I'm a fan.
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

Well, congratulations and welcome to the fold.

Two bits of comfort/safety advice:

1. Get yourself a backrest. You can go expensive:

http://www.utpr.com/helix.html

or cheap:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HONDA-HELIX-CN- ... 3f&vxp=mtr

or you can rig something up with a rollbag and some bungies.

2. More importantly, get yourself a high-mounted led brake light. The low mount on the Helix is almost invisible once the vehicle behind you gets within striking distance. You can go snazzy:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Honda-Helix ... 91&vxp=mtr

or more basic:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Signal-Dynamics ... 40&vxp=mtr

And some grief-saving advice:

Prior to some point in the early/mid 00's, the total weight of the air intake and carb was supported entirely by the intake manifold boot. As a result, these boots tended to crack quite often, leading to hard start/lean problems. Later models came from the factory with an additional support bracket that solves the problem:

http://marketplaceadvisor.channeladviso ... =195496146

There's a graphite sleeve gasket that fits between the muffler and exhaust manifold. These tend to get eaten up over time, leading to moderate to severe backfiring. Also, you need to remove the muffler to change the rear tire. Sometomes you get lucky and can re-use the gasket. Most times you cannot. So. buy yourself a couple of these in advance:

http://www.monsterscooterparts.com/exha ... 0-all.html

If you need help/advice, just give me a yell.
Keys

Post by Keys »

I've owned 3 of the beasts. Great bike. I discovered, though, that of you take about 3 inches off the top of the windshield, the wind buffeting that they are famous for goes away and you really don't lose much wind protection.
"Life without music would Bb"
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

peabody99 wrote:
JHScoot wrote:a Helix?

You say that now, but come 2025 and I'm piloting this rocket over the FL-GA border, you may change your tune :lol:
Glad to see I finally captured somebody's imagination. :rofl:

Seriously, long ago I did a whole bunch of homework on the Helix and charlie55 has covered everything I found. I really like that backrest he linked. Bikes like your Helix (and my Silverwing) with the recumbent seating position really benefit from a backrest. On my ride from CO to VA on the Silverwing, I ran a BikersFriend which adds storage and a backrest. When the weather cooperated, I had no trouble riding hour after hour without back pain. The BF is probably not the right solution for the Helix, but you'll benefit from back support of some kind if you plan to hit the road.

Again, congratulations. I steadfastly predict that you are on the leading edge of a nostalgia wave for one of he retro-coolest scooters ever made.

P.S. Don't forget to do that carb bracket update. Honda knew that wasn't right and they fixed it back in the mid-00s IIRC by adding a bracket. The part charlie55 linked just bolts right on to your bike and eliminates that one known mechanical flaw (not counting the 10" rear wheel :roll: ) in the design of the Helix. If you do that, I predict you will still be rolling around on it in 2025. It's only 12 years away! :shock:
Last edited by jrsjr on Fri May 17, 2013 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Congrats on a sweet scooter and it sounds like you're already getting some good tips!

I would suggest putting a unicorn horn on the mudguard!

Don't forget to post a first real ride report..ENJOY!
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

I checked and it looks like Battlescooter has pretty much gotten out of the Helix business (in favor of the Ruckus, of course) since I did my research, but they still list their Japanese-market low windscreen as a special order item. It's too low to be practical for the highway, but it sure looks cool. :twisted:
Attachments
helix_wind_screen.png
helix_wind_screen.png (50.17 KiB) Viewed 2974 times
hcstrider

Post by hcstrider »

peabody99,

Congratulations on your Barcalounger Unicorn Cruiser! I love the red color. I have a white 1994 Unicorn Cruiser and I just love that bike, I rode my Unicorn to work today. I totally agree with the other comments about adding a backrest, the backrest really helps.

The only problem I have with my Unicorn Cruiser is remembering where the rear brake is because I switch back and forth between my Buddy and my Unicorn. I've been riding my Buddy for so long that it's built into my DNA to squeeze the brake levers. But for my first Unicorn stop of the day, I always find myself vainly squeezing the left grip for about 2 seconds before realizing that the rear brake is a pedal.

Enjoy your Unicorn!
Last edited by hcstrider on Fri May 17, 2013 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wayne
The safest rule, no ifs or buts
Just drive like everyone else is nuts! (Burma Shave)
siobhan

Post by siobhan »

Congrats and welcome to the house of Honda! I cannot believe that mileage...so sad. Let wild horses run!

I think the Helix and the Elite 250 have the same tire sizes (4.00-10). If so, there's only one tire readily available--the Bridgestone Molas (ML16 and ML17). They're expensive but really, really nice.

This is the cheapest place I found: www.powersportsuperstore.com Do not expect any type of messaging from them about when your order is being shipped; they don't really have the customer service thing down, but the tires arrived within 10 days of my order. If you can handle the void, then buy from them.

Syd...I picked up an '86 CH250 last fall and I'm loving it. While I love the BV, the price...ouch!
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

charlie55 wrote:
2. More importantly, get yourself a high-mounted led brake light. The low mount on the Helix is almost invisible once the vehicle behind you gets within striking distance. You can go snazzy:

or more basic:

Oh hell yeah! You gotta get that spoiler brake light! They have it in red and the fit/finish look excellent.
And a pipe like the one in the picture! Please, please, please!
Looking at the pipe, though, it might not turn right too well without scraping.
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
TVB

Post by TVB »

Last year I was helping a friend (who'd moved to Florida and needed affordable transportation) find a scooter, and I repeatedly steered him toward Helices, mostly to accommodate his size (roughly equivalent to three peabody99's I'd guess). The "trunk" was an attractive feature since it'd be his only vehicle, and he'd be doing his weekly grocery runs with it. He didn't complain that they were ugly... but then, he's excessively fond of barcaloungers, so I wasn't surprised. :) But for better or worse, he ended up moving back north and had to get a car instead.
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

Tocsik wrote: Oh hell yeah! You gotta get that spoiler brake light! They have it in red and the fit/finish look excellent.
As to the pipe, I wouldn't go there. Check out the general opinion on Helix "performance" mods here (a great resource BTW):

http://www.slonaker.net/helixforum/

I tried a Leo Vince custom pipe on my old one just to get rid of the sewing-machine exhaust note. Despite all the manufacturer's assurances that it was plug-and-play/no rejetting required, the scoot constantly backfired like a howitzer whenever decelerating. So, that little experiment got bagged tout-suite.

The general opinion is that the Honda engineers "got it right" the first time.
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

charlie55 wrote:
Tocsik wrote: Oh hell yeah! You gotta get that spoiler brake light! They have it in red and the fit/finish look excellent.
As to the pipe, I wouldn't go there. Check out the general opinion on Helix "performance" mods here (a great resource BTW):

http://www.slonaker.net/helixforum/

I tried a Leo Vince custom pipe on my old one just to get rid of the sewing-machine exhaust note. Despite all the manufacturer's assurances that it was plug-and-play/no rejetting required, the scoot constantly backfired like a howitzer whenever decelerating. So, that little experiment got bagged tout-suite.

The general opinion is that the Honda engineers "got it right" the first time.
Yeah, I just thought it looked freakishly cool.
PeteH

Re: My new (not quite) Unicorn Cruiser!

Post by PeteH »

peabody99 wrote:So its no secret I might be the president (at least the secretary) of the waiting for Genuine Unicorn Cruiser fan club.
Well, it _does_ have a long pointy thing on the front..... :D
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
Syd

Post by Syd »

jrsjr wrote:Congrats! I bet you will get your money's worth out of that scoot and some day be able to sell it for more than you paid for it. The Helix has "future classic" written large all over it. I love the Helix so much that I wrote one into a novel as the last running scooter in Georgia. It was outfitted with an infrared headlight because it had been used at night to smuggle little old ladies (with their baggage in the huge boot, natch!) across the heavily-defended GA-FLA border in 2025. The current owner used it at night to sneak into Ted Turner's burial ground at Stone Mountain, Georgia (now privately owned by his estate) for secret trysts with a beautiful red-headed security lady. No, really! I'm serious! I just hope you have as epic a time on your Helix as my protagonist did in my 2020s story. :D
What is the title? Was it published? I spent last night trying to find a story about the last running scooter in GA, but I couldn't find it. Gaaaa!
Syd

Post by Syd »

That reminds me. Know what you get when you search for Ted Turner's burial ground at Stone Mountain, Georgia? This thread.

Gotta have me some post apocalyptic scooter stories!
JohnKiniston

Post by JohnKiniston »

There was just someone on the Yahoo group that found a 5 mile helix recently too!

Where are all these absurdly low mileage bikes coming from?
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Syd wrote:Gotta have me some post apocalyptic scooter stories!
A couple months ago I'd have been happy to give you mine, but it's landfill now after we moved out of the house. I'll give you a hint. Ted Turner's estate buys Stone Mountain Park for his mausoleum which is created by hollowing out the mountain on the opposite side from the Confederate carvings. Only it turns out that Ted is not dead, baby. He's faked his own death and is living inside the mountain brooding about a woman (which is why security is so important). Except some crazed religious cultists want to commit suicide by lightning during an electrical storm and come busting through the park gates in an old school bus (after they sideswipe our hero on his Helix). Hilarity ensues. Imagine an existential bodice buster mixed with Rocky Horror, and a dash of scooter culture, and you're getting pretty close. Somewhere, the only copy of this is slowly decaying in a landfill where it belongs! :twisted:

Huge apologies to peabody99 for what has to be the most off-topic post in the history of MB. :oops:
Syd

Post by Syd »

Sounds like a movie treatment. Throw in some Zombies and its a hit!
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

JohnKiniston wrote:There was just someone on the Yahoo group that found a 5 mile helix recently too!

I'm pretty sure that was me. I've been yapping all over about this thing!
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

peabody99 wrote:
JohnKiniston wrote:There was just someone on the Yahoo group that found a 5 mile helix recently too!

I'm pretty sure that was me. I've been yapping all over about this thing!
If you find another one with higher mileage, 10 or 15 miles say, please feel free to post a note about it. A few years ago, I tried to buy a spanking new leftover yellow Helix from that huge dealer in Ohio that advertises on Cycle Trader, but they wouldn't ship. They said their contract with Honda prohibited shipping. :(
Spud

Post by Spud »

It's hideous...

But congratulations. :P I bet you'll have a wonderful time with it and really enjoy it. I've heard Honda scooters are the most reliable ever (if someone has any experience with them I'd love to hear it).
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

Spud wrote:It's hideous...
thanks! I think so too :D
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

charlie55 wrote:Well, congratulations and welcome to the fold.

Two bits of comfort/safety advice:

or more basic:

And some grief-saving advice:

Prior to some point in the early/mid 00's, the total weight of the air intake and carb was supported entirely by the intake manifold boot. As a result, these boots tended to crack quite often, leading to hard start/lean problems. Later models came from the factory with an additional support bracket that solves the problem:

http://marketplaceadvisor.channeladviso ... =195496146

There's a graphite sleeve gasket that fits between the muffler and exhaust manifold. These tend to get eaten up over time, leading to moderate to severe backfiring. Also, you need to remove the muffler to change the rear tire. Sometomes you get lucky and can re-use the gasket. Most times you cannot. So. buy yourself a couple of these in advance:

http://www.monsterscooterparts.com/exha ... 0-all.html

If you need help/advice, just give me a yell.
Thanks a million. I sent a PM but the gist of it is...wow thats a lot of grown up words, and heck I don't understand a whole lot of it, but I am going to order the "sleeve gasket" and the "bracket" thing and wait for them to come in before I get the tires installed as the sleeve thing will probably be needed at the tire install? (EDIT- will i need to do either right away? will the mechanic be able to replace my rear tire without damaging the sleeve gasket?)

I want to back support but for now I am using the scoot primarily as a commuter and field work scooter so I am not going to be settling in for long hauls as much other fans of the scoot seem to. When I do hit the road I am going to find a way to rig it.

I have NO mechanical ability (I know, its hard to tell :lol: ) but is this actually a scooter where it might be possible for neophyte to change oil? I cant believe its every 1000 miles. Ill rack that up in a couple months! If I could change the oil on one of my scooters, I would be happy.
TVB

Post by TVB »

jrsjr wrote:A few years ago, I tried to buy a spanking new leftover yellow Helix from that huge dealer in Ohio that advertises on Cycle Trader, but they wouldn't ship. They said their contract with Honda prohibited shipping. :(
Road. Trip. :)
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

peabody99 wrote:Thanks a million. I sent a PM but the gist of it is...wow thats a lot of grown up words, and heck I don't understand a whole lot of it, but I am going to order the "sleeve gasket" and the "bracket" thing and wait for them to come in before I get the tires installed as the sleeve thing will probably be needed at the tire install? (EDIT- will i need to do either right away? will the mechanic be able to replace my rear tire without damaging the sleeve gasket?)

I want to back support but for now I am using the scoot primarily as a commuter and field work scooter so I am not going to be settling in for long hauls as much other fans of the scoot seem to. When I do hit the road I am going to find a way to rig it.

I have NO mechanical ability (I know, its hard to tell :lol: ) but is this actually a scooter where it might be possible for neophyte to change oil? I cant believe its every 1000 miles. Ill rack that up in a couple months! If I could change the oil on one of my scooters, I would be happy.

PM responded to.

If the scoot is running smoothly, then you can hold off on the bracket installation for a while. But the longer you do, the sooner that manifold boot will bite you in the patoot. As for replacing the tire without damaging the gasket, it all depends upon the current condition of the gasket, whether or not your mechanic is familiar with Helices (although some other bikes use these), and whether or not his shop has the gasket on hand. Since I don't know the answers to these questions, I would advise you to play it safe and purchase 2 gaskets before getting the tires changed. "2" because they're very easy to damage if not installed properly.

As for oil changes, there's a drain plug on the bottom of the crankcase, and a large one on the side. The bottom one is what you'd expect, and the side one gives you access to the metal mesh oil filter. Bottom plug seals with a crush washer, and the side with an O-ring.
DariaSen

Post by DariaSen »

Congrats! I'm so jealous!
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

I LOVE the Helix-owned two in the past. One hit around 70,000miles and got flipped over on a off ramp (being stupid) and the other had around 80,000 and I hit a car and totaled it (also stupid). Great machines with a great support group. My only heads-up would be go with Bridgestone tires over Dunlops when tire time comes up, the 'stones grip much better in the wet and last longer.
viney266

Post by viney266 »

Did I read that right? 5 miles?!?...what a cherry find! Enjoy the "new" ride. You are doing the right thing, replace the worn rubber bits and enjoy the lounge chair with wheels :)
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

TVB wrote:
jrsjr wrote:A few years ago, I tried to buy a spanking new leftover yellow Helix from that huge dealer in Ohio that advertises on Cycle Trader, but they wouldn't ship. They said their contract with Honda prohibited shipping. :(
Like I need an excuse for a road trip, right? :wink: This was years ago and they ran a great price in the dead of winter. I emailed, I called, I schemed with shippers, I lobbied the dealer, they just wouldn't work with me at all. They said their contract with Honda required me to walk in their dealership and make the buy. So I planned on the doing the bus thing and riding it back and blah blah blah. The Holidays happened. Then something else. And then it was spring and the great deals were gone and it no longer made financial sense to make the trip. :( Still, peabody99's find gives me hope that there are still practically new Helixs out there. Now, if somebody just made a FI kit for them...
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

Best of all...it's red!!
Throwback7R

Post by Throwback7R »

jrsjr wrote:
TVB wrote:
Like I need an excuse for a road trip, right? :wink: This was years ago and they ran a great price in the dead of winter. I emailed, I called, I schemed with shippers, I lobbied the dealer, they just wouldn't work with me at all. They said their contract with Honda required me to walk in their dealership and make the buy. So I planned on the doing the bus thing and riding it back and blah blah blah. The Holidays happened. Then something else. And then it was spring and the great deals were gone and it no longer made financial sense to make the trip. :( Still, peabody99's find gives me hope that there are still practically new Helixs out there. Now, if somebody just made a FI kit for them...

FI!!

http://www.ecotrons.com/Small_Engine_EFI_PNP_kit.html

Or

http://www.mbe-motorsports.com/catalog/ ... cts_id/190
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

The ML16 is a rear-only on the Helix; front wheel is a 12". My chief beef with the Bridgestone is that it's only a J-speed range tire. If you're OK with a tire that is only rated to 62mph, go for it. Load rating is a 60 (551lbs) for the Bridgestone, so it's marginally more stout than the 59J Michelin I run on my much-lighter P200 (349lbs vs. 235lbs). I'd suggest looking at a (cue Eric) Heidenau K61 in 120/90-10 instead. It has a 66 load range (660lbs) and an M speed rating (81mph), which actually exceeds the Helix's reported top speed (72-75mph). I know I'd feel better knowing that I wasn't over working my tire while cruising on the highway; that little rear wheel is the Helix's biggest holdback, but that's just my two cents.

They make a 110/100-12 for the front, with a 67 load index (680lbs) and an M speed rating as well.

I don't own one, but I am rebuilding an '87 with a blown motor for another local scooterist and fellow MB'er. It's been educational so far and I'm looking forward to seeing what we can do with it.
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
iMoses

Post by iMoses »

A good friend of mine has had 3 of these ugly things. He is vertically challenged so he loves them since he can sit flat footed at stop signs and red lights.
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

iMoses wrote:A good friend of mine has had 3 of these ugly things....
Said he riding an Elite? :lol: Of course I think Elites are works of art too...And I like the Yamama Rivera's too. maybe I am digging pointy nosed angular boxes.

I have to say, my feedback from a lot scooter peeps has been on the hating ("its fits you perfectly" so you're saying im fat and ugly? )to no comment side, but I found some former old MC riders like them. Ok well older people in general are warm to the Helix. I actually got an (inappropriate!!) mailing for AARP....they must have got word from the DMV that there is fresh meat out there. :roll:
Syd

Post by Syd »

The Helix is still an unaquired taste, but I have come to like the '87 Elite. But the Riva? I lust after a Riva Z, they're beautiful.

Screw the haters.
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

Here is a requested ride report on my 1996 Helix. I will probably cross post this on my Modernvespa thread as I wondered how the match up would be with the GTS. I have put 1000 miles on it since I bought him in late May with only five miles.

So here is the comparison GTS VS Helix
Parking/low speed stuff: Helix wins,EASY! Its almost as easy as my Buddy to get on and off the center stand. This is huge as I had started a new job (promotional, thankfully) and my needs changed,-I wanted a freeway/highway able scoot that would be capable of my tripled commute mileage and easy to park when I went out in the field. The Vespa is difficult for me to get on and off center stand unless everything is flat-which is tough to find in San Diego. Despite a lowered seat, I am on tip toes on the Vespa, so if I put my foot down on any grease or something like gravel, my foot easily slips and being a top heavy bike I am easily destabilized-luckily have not dropped it. Knock on wood.

Lane Splitting (legal where I live): Helix wins. I am seriously spatially challenged and a fairly low risk rider so I only split in stopped or very slow traffic with a wide berth between cars. Both scooters are the same width BUT the Helix is such a low rider there is little to no risk of slamming mirrors with vehicles -something I am afraid that has happened to me on the GTS with an SUV. The GTS mirrors are about the height of SUV mirrors which results in too tight a squeeze for my taste. In heavy/urban traffic the Helix is better for me because it is easier to put my feet down and feels more stable than tip toeing it on the GTS. Both scooters favorite speed performance wise is around 50 miles an hour.

Curvy roads: I’m going to give it to the Helix only because I am not the most aggressive rider. The GTS is more top heavy and tall which makes me want to be more cautious and go slower than on the low riding Helix.

Freeway: GTS wins for speed both top end and acceleration after 40 mph. The Helix really is not bad off the line. I waited for the 600 mile mark before I took the Helix on the freeway. I have had it as high as 73 MPH Gps verified-as a side note the odometer is 100% accurate- and he was reluctant to squeeze out much more, but I think he might if I beg! The Vespa has GPS’d 82 mph, although in all fairness it is well broken in at 13,000 miles. I probably won’t be able to take the Helix on the steep uphill freeway portion of my commute-although the Vespa hates it too.

The Helix is alleged to be like a wind sail at higher speeds. I really have not experienced this yet, and in fact the Vespa seems more dodgy and sensitive. Both have windscreens. I did just get a new Michelin (sport city I believe) rear tire for the GTS. Hoping it will be better, although I've had nearly every tire on the GTS it just loves to follow highway grooves at high speeds. The Helix has new Pirellis. I had an emergency stop to prevent broad siding a cage and I was VERY impressed with the Helix braking. Super stable!

I don’t think this was intended to be a freeway bike….or maybe it was back in the 80’s when it was first released and speed limits were lower if I recall. I really don’t like riding on the freeway much anyway, but I want to be able to if I have to, for at least a few miles.

I like the visibility the seat height offers in the Vespa, however I don’t like it when it’s time to stop. For a taller rider who can easily flat foot I can see it being a no brainier to prefer the Vespa with this regard. The Helix is like bizarre wave runner –hover craft going floating down the road. Low and slow and I wonder about visibility.

Gas Mileage: GTS by a landslide. I haven’t checked in a while but it can run anywhere from 65-78 MPG. The Helix is in the low 40’s which is lower than average for Helices. I am very guilty of jack rabbit starts on all my scooters. I did get 60 mpg on a group ride and 48 on a country canyon/highway ride. The usual routine for me lately has been surface street to work in AM-mostly 40-55 mph and some freeway home in the afternoon. Not sure what the deal is with the mileage. It has been speculated the cheap carburetor that the seller put on when I got it could come into play. I have run 3 tanks with Seafoam through it and it does seem to be running more smoothly but fuel efficiency has not improved.

Maintenance: Helix? It’s had its first oil change by the mechanic that helped sell it, but I am going to do this next one myself as it appears much easier than the other scoots. Shockingly every 1000 miles is recommended. Since I put that on in 6 weeks, I'm going to need to step up my game! I won’t be using the Honda dealer for other upcoming service, but my local dealer, Motorsport which takes excellent care of the GTS and the Buddy.

Other: it almost guaranteed when I pull up somewhere on the Helix a 65+++ man will appear out of the woodwork to discuss the beast. It’s usually alone the lines of .....they used to have one, it had over 50,000 miles on it, they upgraded (invariably a Burgman or Silverwing) and they still miss the Helix. LOL.

The Helix is embarrassingly huge to park. Frankly I feel a bit of shame trying to lodge the monster in MC parking. You almost have to park it like a car on the street.

As it stands no one is getting cut from the stable. Most certainly not the Buddy. The GTS is sadly the least used scooter. At this rate, I'm keeping it as a back up 250 commuter as both my husband and I would HATE getting stuck in the cage if our main scoots were out of commission for more than a day.

Well anyway, I could not be more thrilled with the Helix, it is highly recommended, although a long range freeway cruiser it is not :) (but then neither is the GTS)
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

Actually, it's every 1250 miles, and switching to full synthetic should allow you to stretch that even further. In any event, she'll tell you when it's time (that little green square next to the odo will turn red).

You can also improve your mid-range acceleration by performing what's called a "k-mod", which is nothing more than replacing 3 of your 6 rollers with a different weight. Forgot the exact value, but just look up k-mod if you're interested.

I still have my doubts about that fortune-cookie aftermarket carb you're using. Sell the Vespa and use the proceeds to make a down payment on an OEM carb from Honda. :wink:
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Nice write-up, peabody99! I'm going to print it and read it again carefully, but my immediate thought is that there was a reason why the Helix was in production for more than two decades (Decades!) and folks still moaned when they stopped making them. I think they are destined to become a plastic classic in coming decades. Since you didn't mention the Genuine cruiser, I will. I think the Helix sets the bar for what I would like the cruiser to do, if they could just make it look a little less Helixacious whilst doing it, if you know what I mean. :wink:

Thanks again for a great write-up. It was everything I hoped for and a whole lot more! :D

P.S. Don't forget to do that carb bracket thing. If you do, you may very well still be riding problem-free twenty years from now.
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

No worries on the carb support bracket, I had that done stat, thanks to Charlie's link. And Charlie I'm ok with OEM spending ;), I just ordered a Honda belt. I'm running the original now and it inspected fine....but it is 17 year old rubber. I'm not sure when I will have my shop put it on. Maybe before the big trip I want to take in Nov. :D . In the meantime, it will be ready if needed.
skipper20

Re: My new (not quite) Unicorn Cruiser! Edit-with Ride Repor

Post by skipper20 »

peabody99 wrote:So its no secret I might be the president (at least the secretary) of the waiting for Genuine Unicorn Cruiser fan club. My first betrayal was the GTS which I love. But I longed to put my feet flatly on the ground when I stopped and then cruise economically along. Neither are possible on the lovely, mercurial Piaggio.

Most low riders left me cold and bitter as I sulked over their design. But one,while jaw droppingly ugly, always made me smile. It went so far on the spectrum of homely it was somehow awesome. If George Jetson had a scooter, this would be it (or the second runner up Morphus).

You know I'm talking about the Helix right? I know haters are gonna hate. I'm not upset-if its you, I only have pity for you because you are dead inside :lol:

it found this 1996 big nosed beauty on craiglist with 5 miles on the clock. It roars to life with a twist of the throttle and is ready to fly. What kind creature sits for 17 years, gets a new carb and battery and has to be held back? (don't worry new tires first on the list). I hope to post some pics of me sitting on the scoot this weekend, so my short legged sisterhood and brotherhood can see the scale.
Yes, they are great scoots so why hasn't mine sold? See http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/mcy/3901958586.html
I guess I'll just have to keep dropping the price every week until it's a complete give-away. Speaking of which, mine goes to $1395 minus the roll bag and gel cushion this coming Monday. $1495 with.

Bill in Seattle
'12 170i Italia "The Olive Pit"
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

skipper20 wrote:
peabody99 wrote:So its no secret I might be the president (at least the secretary) of the waiting for Genuine Unicorn Cruiser fan club. My first betrayal was the GTS which I love. But I longed to put my feet flatly on the ground when I stopped and then cruise economically along. Neither are possible on the lovely, mercurial Piaggio.

Yes, they are great scoots so why hasn't mine sold? See http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/mcy/3901958586.html
I guess I'll just have to keep dropping the price every week until it's a complete give-away. Speaking of which, mine goes to $1395 minus the roll bag and gel cushion this coming Monday. $1495 with.

Bill in Seattle
'12 170i Italia "The Olive Pit"
It's the Helix curse: when you're looking to sell, nobody's buying and when you're looking to buy, nobody's selling. Went through the same thing with my first one - practically had to give it away. Then it took me 4 months of shopping around to find my current one.

Yours is in great shape and obviously well cared for. I know that the fees on Ebay are a pain, but I'd seriously consider putting it there with a $1575 start, reserve of $1700 and a buy-it-now of $1950. You'll be reaching a much wider audience and won't be dealing with the subhumans that infest Craigslist.

( If I were buying, and in your neck of the woods, I'd consider $1495 a steal).
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

It's a shame you are having trouble selling it. It's such a great scooter for the height challenged...or in my case people with short legs! I hope you don't regret selling it and become one of those guys who come up to me and pine for their old friend. :)
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

charlie55 wrote:( If I were buying, and in your neck of the woods, I'd consider $1495 a steal).
I know what you mean. After reading this thread, I'm tempted to take the bus out there, buy it, and ride it back cross country. My wife will love this plan.:twisted:
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

jrsjr wrote:
charlie55 wrote:( If I were buying, and in your neck of the woods, I'd consider $1495 a steal).
I know what you mean. After reading this thread, I'm tempted to take the bus out there, buy it, and ride it back cross country. My wife will love this plan.:twisted:
With the exception of me having 3 scooters, the husband has reined me in a number of times on my kooky scooter plans, so I can relate! It's probably kept me out of a lot of trouble. :P