Your favorite buddy accessories

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

mpearson

Your favorite buddy accessories

Post by mpearson »

Hi all. I'm new to the forum. I'm about to jump into the scooter world and I'm so excited. I'm buying a buddy 170i this week. I can't take the motorcycle class to get my license for a few weeks though... Bummer. Oh well.

I'm wondering what your favorite buddy accessories are. What did you add to your scoot that you just can't live without? And where did you buy it?

Top case or basket with cargo net? Front rack or no front rack? What type of lock do you use? What should I add first?

Thanks for all input!
MrChet

Post by MrChet »

Most important is safe riding gear. A jacket, pants and quality helmet along with some gloves.

Favorite is from the same lot....my Corazzo jacket.

I have a top case on my buddy and saddle bags on my Stella. I find storage immensely useful. Groceries and beer growlers as well as sports gear all go in my case/bags.

Have fun and ride safe! Check alternative locations for the MSF class. Some times you can get in faster if you are willing to travel a little.
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

What MrChet said!!! I added windshield, top tank and side saddles to my 170i. Windshield adds a couple of mile to speed by streamlining and the top tank and saddle bags gives some extra storage space. If I need to grocery
shop I use the TGB 150 Del or my sidecar unit. If I want to cruise and have
fun I ride the Buddy 170i. :wink:
Throwback7R

Post by Throwback7R »

Either the Prima exhaust or the rear rack my top case it just so easy to fill up with stuff.
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Spend your first $$$ on proper safety gear.

After that, add what makes sense for the type of riding and/or carrying you plan to do. I bought my '09 in January of '11, when Genuine was offering extra goodies to clear off the '09 inventory. So mine came with a front rack, rear rack, cowl bars/rear footpegs, Cuppini windshield, and the big Prima cable lock. Not a bad haul of bling by any means. I've since swapped out the grips for something a bit snazzier than the stock grey rubber and replaced the stock mirrors with bar-ends.

I mostly use the front rack for hauling extra groceries, but if I only have one or two bags, I hang them from the legshield hook. Just for fun, I think I should strap an infant car seat to the front rack and see how many people stare and scratch their heads.
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
mpearson

Post by mpearson »

Thanks everyone. I have an armored jacket and pants that were given to me by a friend that fit well. I'm going shopping for a proper helmet tonight. What do you all wear for footwear? Ill eventually buy another jacket.

Where do you suggest buying accessories and clothing? My local buddy dealer is no longer a dealer so no local shops to support.
heythere512

Post by heythere512 »

My fav accessory is my seat cover from Cheeky Seats, as well as my Gen-U-Bin.

In addition to my local shop, I buy from ScooterWorks and Amazon.
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

I don't have a lot of accessories like top case, crash bars or the like. I do have the rear rack so I can strap a few items on there when needed. I'm not a fan of the overall look of the rear rack but the functionality is OK.

My favorite add-ons for the Buddy would be my Prima pipe and Dr. Pulley variator + sliders. Improved motor sound (and just a little bit of mid-range oomph) from the pipe and smooth acceleration from the variator and sliders. Sliders also last much longer than rollers.
Then, the Bando CDI and coil.
Then, my Oxford Heaterz grips.

Safe riding gear is the best accessory you can invest in.
Outside of that, I love my Motley Tube. It's not for the Buddy per se but makes riding really comfortable in those "borderline" temps.
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
tortoise

Post by tortoise »

mpearson wrote:What do you all wear for footwear?
Vega. Other considerations.
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

I wear steel toe Brogans from WallyWorld, heavy denim work pants, riding gloves, padded summer weight jacket, half helmet(any thing else knocks
my cochlear implant off!! Better hearing with a half helmet than deaf without). :wink:
skully93

Post by skully93 »

Favorites are back rack and prima pipe, along with sliders.

For footwear, I try to at least minimally use my Dr. Martens, and will shortly get some new proper boots. I don't like the look of them as much but recently I've come across some ankles that were trashed or ground down to bone.
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

My Brogans give ankle coverage and the steel toe protects my toes if I
get run over!!!, :wink: I am leaving the 170i motor and tranny just as it
is, fast enough for this old man. What is suggested for parts is good, I would add scooterwest to that list. Both scooterworks and scooterwest are good
companies. Scooterwest gives freight discounts on larger orders. :D
Throwback7R

Post by Throwback7R »

For shoes I have these in black and white http://images.motorcycle-superstore.com ... -Shoes.jpg
wschmechel

Post by wschmechel »

Top case is my favorite. I use it every time I ride, whether it's carrying my lunch to picking up groceries or whatnot. I also picked up a mesh armored jacket that is great so far in the warmer temperatures.

Genubin is on my "to get list" so I can bring coffee with me on the morning commutes. I also plan on getting the C3 rearview mirrors. I can barely see around my arms/shoulders with the stock ones.

Finally, since I bought a used cream-colored Buddy (which isn't the most manly color), I fashioned some racing stripes out of electrician's tape that's vastly improved it's appearance IMHO!
iamryan25

Post by iamryan25 »

The Prima Exhaust! People hear me, it's like a safety feature. I hear me, it just makes it more fun. Front black basket w/ bungee net is a very close second!
michelle_7728

Post by michelle_7728 »

Hmmm....since I don't consider riding gear a 'Buddy" accessory (I use my gear no matter what I ride), there's kind of a 4 way tie:
1. "Back-off" brake light modulator
2. Windshield
3. Front & Rear racks
4. My Hot Grips (heated grips)

Oh darn...there's also the BOB adaptor & LED bulbs....5 way tie! :roll:

I installed all of it myself. :)
Past bikes: 08' Genuine Buddy 125, '07 Yamaha Majesty 400, '07 Piaggio MP3 250, '08 Piaggio MP3 500, '08 Aprilia Scarabeo 500
Current bikes: Two '09 Genuine Buddy 125's
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

As for top tanks I have them on my 170i and my hack setup, don't need on
my Delivery. I always have a gallon of gas stashed in them plus necessary odds and ends. The top tank is the one accessory that is a must for me. :D
KeLynn

Post by KeLynn »

I don't have any "accessories" on my Buddy. I like the look of the racks, but honestly I don't really need them. I can carry a LOT between the pet carrier, backpack, and putting a grocery bag on the bag hook and holding between my feet.

This backpack in particular is great: http://www.business-supply.com/p-61051- ... MgodGy0ARw

It's hi vis, has reflectors, and has a zip-out section to expand it if you're carrying something extra big. I believe I carried 24 rolls of toilet paper in this the other day. It's not super heavy duty (if it didn't have the expander or the reflectors, I wouldn't buy it at that price).

All my money has gone to riding gear - riding jackets, upgraded back armor, kevlar jeans, etc.