170i Owners: Looking for Opinions/Feedback

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

C2

170i Owners: Looking for Opinions/Feedback

Post by C2 »

Hey 170i people,

I've decided that it's time to upgrade from my 125 to the 170i. I'm doing a lot more riding, and could use the extra oomph of the 170i. So I'm curious what your experiences are so far, any issues you've run into, or anything you think would be good to know before I cross over.

Thanks!
klr6773

Post by klr6773 »

My 170i is the first scooter I've owned, coming up on a year now,so I can't offer much technical insight. What I can say is the fuel injection gives it a great start off the line. I think I've probably surprised some people when they think "Oh great, I'm stuck behind a scooter"

Only two issues,which are apparently very common,are the left mirror loosening and the back brake needing an occasional adjustment.

I don't pay attention to MPG,since a $3-$4 fill up lasts me over a week and that just puts me in happy mode,especially since gas here in Oregon is climbing faster than we can keep track!
GrFa

Post by GrFa »

I too would like to hear the comparisons between the 125/150cc buds. I'm the current happy owner of a 150 Italia but more is more right?
Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

My advice is: Get the 170I! It's totally worth it and I haven't had any problems with mine and I'm on 7500 mi....The left mirror can be tightened so it won't be loose but I hardly call that a big issue. All in all there rather reliable scoots. I like riding it better than my Stella.....
hal888

Re: 170i Owners: Looking for Opinions/Feedback

Post by hal888 »

C2 wrote: I've decided that it's time to upgrade from my 125 to the 170i. I'm doing a lot more riding, and could use the extra oomph of the 170i.

Thanks!
Just passed 11,100 miles will no mechanical problems. You may not notice much difference with the 125. Top speed is in the same ballpark, although the acceleration may be more predictable and the mileage seems a bit better. You also lose the kick starter, and therefore I upgraded my battery and carry a battery tender just in case.
skully93

Post by skully93 »

They're all pretty similar.

We have a 125 and a 150. 125 is ever so slightly faster off the line, and gets better mpg. The 150 had better mid-range an a few more mph on the top end.

the 170i I didn't get a lot of time with. Very smooth, the exhaust actually looks to be similar build to the prima pipe, and quick off the line. Probably the best of both worlds between the 125 and 150, couple more bmph on the top end.
jd

Post by jd »

I've never been able to understand the appeal of the 170i other than for ego gratification.

It may be quicker off the line than my 125, but my 125 is plenty quick and I'm not even using WOT, so why would I need more acceleration? As for top speed, I'm not sure what I would do with that, either. My 125 tops out at about 55-60 MPH (actual, not indicated) and that's about as fast as this bike feels safe on its little wheels. The front end gets light and the handling starts to get squirrely. Cross winds become particularly troublesome at that rate of speed on this small bike. To get any faster than that, I'd want a bigger, heavier bike.

People who have the 170i seem to love it, but I suppose that if I paid $550 extra for low-end power that I didn't use, and top-end speed that I wouldn't want to use, I'd try to rationalize the purchase, anyway.

On the other hand, by purchasing a 125 I got essentially the same practical riding experience as the 170i, with $550 left over to spend on LOTS of other stuff that that made a bigger difference in the quality of my life than the trivial difference in the day-to-day experience between the two bikes.

You just need to decide where that extra $550 is going to get you the most value.

jd
Some people are like slinkies. They're not very interesting, but they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
skully93

Post by skully93 »

Certainly don't let me stop you, but agreeing with the above post, it seems a waste to upgrade from one to the other, unless there is some kind of great deal involved.

If I were buying new, probably 170i all the way, because it's a good evolution of the machine.

If you truly want more oomph, chasing the HP Dragon is an expensive hobby. It's also why I have a 150 and a 500cc bike.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

jd wrote:I've never been able to understand the appeal of the 170i other than for ego gratification.
Fuel injection. Anyone who lives in a state with a real winter should appreciate how much more balky a carbed bike can be with periods of low or no use compared to an FI bike, not to mention cold starts :wink: .
Christophers

Post by Christophers »

jd wrote:I've never been able to understand the appeal of the 170i...

...People who have the 170i seem to love it, but I suppose that if I paid $550 extra for low-end power that I didn't use, and top-end speed that I wouldn't want to use, I'd try to rationalize the purchase, anyway....

jd
I think that as long as you are realistic about what gains you hope to see by moving up from a 125 to a 170i, you will be quite pleased with the move up. I say go for it!

Although I've never had the opportunity to ride a 170i, I've spent plenty of time on Buddy 125s and 150s.

While speed off the line and top speed may not differ much between a 125 and a 150, there is a significant difference in the ability of the larger displacement scooter to maintain speed up an incline. For me, this is noteworthy change, worth paying for, on a frame and size of bike that I really enjoy riding. On the 170i there are the additional benefits of moving up to a fuel injected bike.

Your question might be better answered if you were to specify the kind of gains you are hoping to achieve by moving to a larger displacement Buddy.
C2

Post by C2 »

Thanks everybody for the feedback… you’ve given me much to think about.

Here is a bit more info on why I’m thinking about switching:

1) Cold Stars – While I don’t live in a cold climate, I do still have issues with cold starts. I park my scooter on the side of my house and under a Prima cover. However, I still have issues with getting her started in the mornings. I have to do a combination of kick start/electric start to get it going, and sometimes it can take a bunch of both. One she’s going… it’s fine, but it can be a major buzz kill.

This is probably the #1 reason I’ve been thinking about it upgrading.

(maybe a new CDI would help?)

2) Ooomph – So, I’ll be honest here… I’m a big guy. 6’2” and 265lbs. And while I haven’t had any real issues with my Buddy 125 off the line and with top speed (56mph via GPS), I could use a little more displacement to help move things along. I’m doing a bunch more riding these days, and on some of the roads I take have me at WOT to keep up. Any additional bump I get could help, but it’s not a necessity.

After reading all of your replies, I’m a bit more on the fence that I was before. I’ll have to ponder it some more, but feel free to continue to comment.
skully93

Post by skully93 »

my upgraded CDI/plug did help. it still argues with me if it's been a few days. I almost never go beyond 5 days, even when it is bitter cold, without riding. If I know a storm is coming in the Winter and I'm unlikely to be able to ride for a few, I take the battery in for some tending (mine live outside too).

For the added price, would it not be feasible to maybe pick up a 2nd scoot of higher displacement? That can either be a saver or greatly increase costs.

If your 125 could sell well, it might be worth doing. Since used 170i's are still scarce, I assume you'd buy new. If you got the 125 new too, that's quite a hit, but used maybe not so much. Your local market may vary.

Hope that helps :goofy:
C2

Post by C2 »

skully93 wrote:If your 125 could sell well, it might be worth doing. Since used 170i's are still scarce, I assume you'd buy new. If you got the 125 new too, that's quite a hit, but used maybe not so much. Your local market may vary.
I did buy new.. but back in 2009, so she's been paid off for some time. Based on what I can see around here... $2200 is a good asking price, which is about 1/2 of the new 170i. She only has 5470 miles on her, regularly serviced and never dropped.

Still pondering....
Throwback7R

Post by Throwback7R »

We have a 125 and my upgraded 171 " was 150 and the 125 and 150 have really close top speed, And my gas mileage is much better when she is around because I do not need to go too fast.

I do have the need for speed but I do have a ZX7r "750 sport bike" and if i want to go really fast i just use that.

If it was me i would just put on a BBK and enjoy the larger displacement and a decent amount of cash.

The Cold starting thing is mostlikey a carb problem that can be solved pretty easy, either the auto choke has a problem or just a simple carb clean could do the trick. And I know about cold starting.. Here in chicago it gets pretty cold.
jd

Post by jd »

C2 wrote:Thanks everybody for the feedback… you’ve given me much to think about.

Here is a bit more info on why I’m thinking about switching:

1) Cold Stars – While I don’t live in a cold climate, I do still have issues with cold starts. I park my scooter on the side of my house and under a Prima cover. However, I still have issues with getting her started in the mornings. I have to do a combination of kick start/electric start to get it going, and sometimes it can take a bunch of both. One she’s going… it’s fine, but it can be a major buzz kill.

This is probably the #1 reason I’ve been thinking about it upgrading.

(maybe a new CDI would help?)

2) Ooomph – So, I’ll be honest here… I’m a big guy. 6’2” and 265lbs. And while I haven’t had any real issues with my Buddy 125 off the line and with top speed (56mph via GPS), I could use a little more displacement to help move things along. I’m doing a bunch more riding these days, and on some of the roads I take have me at WOT to keep up. Any additional bump I get could help, but it’s not a necessity.

After reading all of your replies, I’m a bit more on the fence that I was before. I’ll have to ponder it some more, but feel free to continue to comment.
Ah, well that makes more sense. The cold starts issue is a matter of repair or tuning. It should start easier than that, FI or not. The weight issue is another matter; you've got 100 pounds on me, and that will make a difference. At your size, however, I'd think if you're going to make the plunge for a more expensive bike, I'd consider looking at something like the Kymco Like 200 (even though it's really 163cc) or the SYM HD 200. It's a lot of bread, but you might even consider the Genuine Blur.

My concern is that the extra money you spend to upgrade to the 170i isn't going to make enough difference to justify the extra dough. If you didn't have the 125 already, then maybe the 170i would be the best choice if you really want a Buddy. But if you're looking for a noticeable improvement in performance for your payload requirements, I think you need to reach a little further.

jd
Some people are like slinkies. They're not very interesting, but they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
skipper20

Post by skipper20 »

jd wrote:I've never been able to understand the appeal of the 170i other than for ego gratification.

People who have the 170i seem to love it, but I suppose that if I paid $550 extra for low-end power that I didn't use, and top-end speed that I wouldn't want to use, I'd try to rationalize the purchase, anyway.

On the other hand, by purchasing a 125 I got essentially the same practical riding experience as the 170i, with $550 left over to spend on LOTS of other stuff that that made a bigger difference in the quality of my life than the trivial difference in the day-to-day experience between the two bikes.

You just need to decide where that extra $550 is going to get you the most value.

jd
Don't knock it until you've tried one. I've owned both and the differences are not trivial. Maybe it's the fuel injection. Also, when you need them, those 43 extra CCs on the same weight bike can mean the difference between struggling and effortless riding. As such, I much prefer my current 170i and consider its purchase as a logical upgrade from a 125. Having just shelled out some big $ for a carburetor overhaul on my '02 Honda Reflex 250, spending extra $ for fuel injection is definitely good value.

Bill in Seattle
'12 170i Italia "The Olive Pit"
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

What Bill said!! :wink:
skully93

Post by skully93 »

Hrm. I think the only way to tell for sure is for all of us to get together, and ride 10 consecutive tanks of gas on each of a 125, 150, and 170i. Preferably with some nice scenery and beers at the end of each day :P. I mean, you wouldn't want anyone to not have ALL the needed data, would you?
Throwback7R

Post by Throwback7R »

skully93 wrote:Hrm. I think the only way to tell for sure is for all of us to get together, and ride 10 consecutive tanks of gas on each of a 125, 150, and 170i. Preferably with some nice scenery and beers at the end of each day :P. I mean, you wouldn't want anyone to not have ALL the needed data, would you?
I'm with this guy!
heythere512

Post by heythere512 »

In our household, we have a Buddy 170i and a Kymco Like 200i, both are first scooters for us. I ride the 170i, and I love it as a "sportier bike," fast off the starting line. The Like, though, is a heavier scoot, with a smoother ride, and maintains better top speeds. I call the Like our "cadillac scooter."

I absolutely love the sporty feel of my Buddy, but... I hate not keeping up with the Like when we ride. Sure, I can leave 'em in the dust when the light turns green, but moments later, I struggle to keep up if on an incline. And my scoot doesn't idle as nicely - vibrates considerably (although maybe I can adjust the idle?). For comparison's sake: we are within three inches and 15 pounds of each other, and we regularly switch scoots just because we can, always with the same results. The Like can win in a maintained-speed contest, regardless of which of us is riding.

Another comparision point: Kymco is cheaper. A lot cheaper. Made in Taiwan. But, we haul ours in our truck often, and Good Lord is that Like a monster to push up the ramp.

My main point, after all of this rambling, is that, if you are looking for more oomph, I don't think you will see that much difference from a 125 to a 170i for maintained speed and power. I'm close in size to you, and also want more power, and I already ride a 170i. I won't trade, though. love it too much. I decided my desire for more oomph just isn't safe on a small scooter, so I will keep saving up for a larger cruiser-type, around 300+ cc.
skully93

Post by skully93 »

So I take it that you have the Like 200i as well?

In a separate thread, you might repeat the comparisons. I HATED the like when it first came out. Now I'm warming up to it. Not something I'm in the market for, but a lot of new riders are comparing them.
hal888

Post by hal888 »

My own feeling is that Buddy's aren't set up for a progression of ridership. For example, Honda sets you up on something like a Rebel as a first-bike, then moves you quickly to larger bikes. In contrast, there are only small difference in performance characteristics between a Buddy 125 and 170i. I think buying the 170i makes sense as a first bike, but unless you are getting an incredible deal there is little reason to buy a 170i if you already have a 125. There's no where to go within the Genuine line-up, and that's why people are always so interested in what Honda and Vespa are doing.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

hal888 wrote:There's no where to go within the Genuine line-up, and that's why people are always so interested in what Honda and Vespa are doing.
I thought that was the reason people are always interested in the often mentioned , never seen, Genuine Cruiser :wink: .
jd

Post by jd »

This is a great thread.

It could be made better only by the subsequent scheduling of the aforementioned comparison ride!

jd
JohnKiniston

Post by JohnKiniston »

hal888 wrote: I think buying the 170i makes sense as a first bike, but unless you are getting an incredible deal there is little reason to buy a 170i if you already have a 125. There's no where to go within the Genuine line-up, and that's why people are always so interested in what Honda and Vespa are doing.
What about the Blur? Doesn't it compare with 200-250cc bikes being a 220?
skully93

Post by skully93 »

I'd say the Blur kind of does. it's sportier and handles nice. If you can get a great price on a used one, awesome.

For the price of new, terribly sorry, but I'd buy a much cheaper and more capable MC that would be more capable and probably get better MPG, or at least be a bit more powerful.
C2

Post by C2 »

Wow... thanks for all the feedback everybody! After reading thru all of this... I may be a bit more confused about what to do! :lol:

I've done some thinking... and my 125 currently meets about 85% of my scooter needs at the moment. And... it's already paid for! My biggest issue is the cold start thing, and that could be addressed with a tune up, new CDI, new plug/wire, or some combination of those. Once I get my 125 started, she's fine, happy and zippy. And for most of my driving, the speed/oomph is not so much of an issue.

Of course I'd love more speed and oomph... ;) But even if I get what I was going to ask for my 125, it' would only cover about 1/2 of the cost of a new 170i.

So for now... I think I'm going to hang on to Tang, and think about a larger scooter for down the road.

Thanks for all your help!
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

C2 wrote:
skully93 wrote:If your 125 could sell well, it might be worth doing. Since used 170i's are still scarce, I assume you'd buy new. If you got the 125 new too, that's quite a hit, but used maybe not so much. Your local market may vary.
I did buy new.. but back in 2009, so she's been paid off for some time. Based on what I can see around here... $2200 is a good asking price, which is about 1/2 of the new 170i. She only has 5470 miles on her, regularly serviced and never dropped.

Still pondering....

OK you have an 09 125 that is paid off and served you well. Personally I would keep it and put a little money into it instead of a lot of money into a new scooter.

I would (or have done) . That will probably solve the majority of your problems.

I would go BBK 161, rebuild the carb ...it is probably due no matter how well it has been treated...up jet...or forget the carb rebuild and just go to a 26mm (my choice) http://www.scooterworks.com/ncy-cvk-sty ... s-1568.php, open the air box and put on a pipe. With the 125 the "stroker" gives that set up amazing torque.

Scooterworks has the Stage 2 kit for about $450, carb is about $175
http://www.scooterworks.com/buddy-125-s ... s-8800.php
Get a new belt while you're at it and it will be like a new scooter for about $600

Yeah the 170s are sweet...but you already have a bullet proof motor that will out torque a stock 170...easily.

If you really just want a new scooter...well nothing wrong with that either!

Keep us updated!
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

C2 wrote:Wow... thanks for all the feedback everybody! After reading thru all of this... I may be a bit more confused about what to do! :lol:

I've done some thinking... and my 125 currently meets about 85% of my scooter needs at the moment. And... it's already paid for! My biggest issue is the cold start thing, and that could be addressed with a tune up, new CDI, new plug/wire, or some combination of those. Once I get my 125 started, she's fine, happy and zippy. And for most of my driving, the speed/oomph is not so much of an issue.

Of course I'd love more speed and oomph... ;) But even if I get what I was going to ask for my 125, it' would only cover about 1/2 of the cost of a new 170i.

So for now... I think I'm going to hang on to Tang, and think about a larger scooter for down the road.

Thanks for all your help!
With an 09 no matter how well treated it wil need some work. Sounds like you are on the right track, carb rebuild, change the air and fuel filters, valve adjustments etc. Taking care of the little stuff can make a huge difference.

(I still think you should slap a kit on it! :mrgreen: )
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
anthony

Post by anthony »

heythere512 wrote: Another comparision point: Kymco is cheaper. A lot cheaper. Made in Taiwan.
Just a minor point, but while Kymco is a Taiwanese company, and many of their bikes are made there, the Like itself is made in China. I don't think this is necessarily a bad thing, just pointing it out. That's why the Like is priced so competitively, as the labor costs are significantly lower.
Beamster

Post by Beamster »

Fuel injection is much less susceptible to issues related to ethanol gas like winter storage problems.
If you don't intend to fool around with the engine, FI is the one to own.
There's a reason that every modern car and most modern motorcycles have FI.
Throwback7R

Post by Throwback7R »

i have never had a problem with winter storage of any motor and we have a long winter. I have had more batteries die and other assorted problems but never gas. Also, I do not even do anything to them just park them and start a few times when it gets warm enough to ride. Most of my stable is older as well, 4 motorcycles and 2 scooters, dont get me wrong they do require some work from time to time, but if it were me i would rather have something i could clean and be done " jet" instead of a injector going bad.
Swordsman

Post by Swordsman »

C2 wrote:So, I’ll be honest here… I’m a big guy. 6’2” and 265lbs.
Holy smokes, how do you fit on a Buddy? I butt-tested one a couple of times at Scenic City Scooters, and at 6'0" and 190 lbs, I thought it was kind of a tight fit. :shock:

~SM
C2

Post by C2 »

Swordsman wrote:
C2 wrote:So, I’ll be honest here… I’m a big guy. 6’2” and 265lbs.
Holy smokes, how do you fit on a Buddy? I butt-tested one a couple of times at Scenic City Scooters, and at 6'0" and 190 lbs, I thought it was kind of a tight fit. :shock:

~SM
Yeah... it's a little snug, but not too bad. My only real complaint is the seat. The stock seat is a bit to "thin" at this point, so I've been looking for the single - aka Blackjack - seat.. but nobody seems to have them in-stock.

My ex-wife had a Vespa 300GTSie that fit me much better.... but it was also 2x the cost.
Stephen Gomes

Post by Stephen Gomes »

Well, I'm a big guy, too; and after getting my wife the 170i, I thought I needed something a little bigger. So, I found a leftover new 2009 Sportcity 250 for $2999.

This is just an FYI, but for $200 more than the Buddy 150, you get a scoot that by most accounts is pretty capable.

Hope this helps.

Good luck whatever your decision.

Steve
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

I am 6'1" and 185 lbs and I find the 170i quite comfortable. For my needs there in not much not to like!! :wink:
DHegg33

I've been thinking of upgrading too...

Post by DHegg33 »

Hello fellow scooter lovers! This is my first post on this site. And I was drawn to this thread because I too am thinking about upgrading from my wonderful new Buddy 125 that I purchased for myself for my birthday on May 30th to a i170. Now this would be at least two years from now, and the only reason I am even thinking about it is I also have an '07 Kawasaki 900 Vulcan classic that since I bought new in '07 has just about 5,500 miles on it. I do love my 900, but just cannot escape the conclusion that it is WAY MORE bike than I really need. When I bought it I had these great plans of maybe taking it all over the country and what not, but now here five years later I realize that these plans are not very realistic for me. It would require too much time away from work and I just dont see it happening. Me and my Dad every fall take our Motorcycles up north to our cabin and this is really the only time where the 900 would be preferable to the Buddy(It is about 180 miles). But I am quite sure I could find a slightly more backroads and slower way of getting there that would make a perfect road trip for the Buddy. I really don't need much more speed or power than my 125 has demonstrated so far, but living in Minnesota where the winters can be quite long and cold I do think the fuel injection will be very nice to have, plus a little extra power and mpg isn't a bad thing either.
So anyways my plan is that in two years when my warranty expires on my B125 I will probably sell it and my K900 and that should be enough to buy a brand new i170 outright I think. But until then I will continue to enjoy commuting and zipping around for fun on my beloved new Buddy! It really is the most fun one can have on two wheels IMO.
DHegg33

Hopefully this works this time

Post by DHegg33 »

I am trying one again to post a photo of my Buddy and Vulcan together.

Yahhh! It worked this time!
Attachments
BuddyVulcanM.jpg
BuddyVulcanM.jpg (58.42 KiB) Viewed 2366 times
lovemysan

Post by lovemysan »

jd wrote: People who have the 170i seem to love it, but I suppose that if I paid $550 extra for low-end power that I didn't use, and top-end speed that I wouldn't want to use, I'd try to rationalize the purchase, anyway.

jd
I don't get why you think your decision to purchase a 125 was financially superior verses everyone else who has a 170. Some people want a scooter that starts reliably What you also don't realize is that someone weighing 250lbs limits the top speed of a 125. I don't like being the slow traffic. Top speed on my 125/161cc is 51 mph GPS. I have several hills in my area that I need the extra power. Yeah its fine off the line in 45 mph traffic but its inadequate in a 55 mph zone, especially if there are hills. At 50 mph I don't feel the least bit unsafe in gusty conditions. I like the 50cc/125 sized scoot because its easy to transport, store, and park. I like the twitchy 10" wheels and I like having the storage. Having said all that I got a nice buddy 125 for under $1k. I don't see why people buy new scoots and suck down all that depreciation but I'm glad they do.
LunaP

Re: I've been thinking of upgrading too...

Post by LunaP »

DHegg33 wrote:Hello fellow scooter lovers! This is my first post on this site. And I was drawn to this thread because I too am thinking about upgrading from my wonderful new Buddy 125 that I purchased for myself for my birthday on May 30th to a i170. Now this would be at least two years from now, and the only reason I am even thinking about it is I also have an '07 Kawasaki 900 Vulcan classic that since I bought new in '07 has just about 5,500 miles on it. I do love my 900, but just cannot escape the conclusion that it is WAY MORE bike than I really need. When I bought it I had these great plans of maybe taking it all over the country and what not, but now here five years later I realize that these plans are not very realistic for me. It would require too much time away from work and I just dont see it happening. Me and my Dad every fall take our Motorcycles up north to our cabin and this is really the only time where the 900 would be preferable to the Buddy(It is about 180 miles). But I am quite sure I could find a slightly more backroads and slower way of getting there that would make a perfect road trip for the Buddy. I really don't need much more speed or power than my 125 has demonstrated so far, but living in Minnesota where the winters can be quite long and cold I do think the fuel injection will be very nice to have, plus a little extra power and mpg isn't a bad thing either.
So anyways my plan is that in two years when my warranty expires on my B125 I will probably sell it and my K900 and that should be enough to buy a brand new i170 outright I think. But until then I will continue to enjoy commuting and zipping around for fun on my beloved new Buddy! It really is the most fun one can have on two wheels IMO.
I have ridden longer distances on a 170i before without problems. On a rural freeway, no less. Some of us feel very very differently from others about going that fast on a Buddy... it does get squirrely at its highest speeds, and if you pair it with heavy crosswinds (where I am, this happens for a month or two each spring and fall, but is worse in fall), and you can get blown around easily if you aren't careful. It's because of the Buddy's light plastic frame and smaller wheels, however, and these are consistent throughout all the Buddy models. My advice is that if you decide to travel at higher speeds, do so carefully and get a feel for it before you actually take a trip.

In addition, I don't know if you had considered it, but you could also simply kit your 125 with a higher cc kit to get some more oomph... it will cost much less than a new bike, but will not give you the fuel injection of the 170i.

My only real complaint with the 170i was that the suspension had room for improvement... but to be fair, I'm not exactly skinny. And that the 2nd gens didn't include a 170i St Tropez.
batgirl101

Post by batgirl101 »

bet you'd be way happier with a bigger scooter--something in the 200cc+ range.