Is that a Stella with a sidecar on the front of the NYT??

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Mary Somerville

Is that a Stella with a sidecar on the front of the NYT??

Post by Mary Somerville »

Am I seeing this right? Check out the homepage of the New York Times right now!

Billy Joel. Scooter. Sidecar. Dog.

In case it goes away, here's my capture: http://screencast.com/t/AIqxx7499

EDIT: goes with this longer story and larger image: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/26/magaz ... ml?hp&_r=0
TVB

Post by TVB »

:wha:

Yes, that is Billy Joel on a Stella. With a pug. In a sidecar.

I will never been 1/10 as cool as that.

Edited to embed:
Last edited by TVB on Fri May 24, 2013 4:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

It sure is......

Better yet it's Billy Joel riding it. I grew up on Long Island, Hicksville where he's from, wasn't too far from me. I was even set up on a 'blind date' while still in High School with his youngest sister once. I've heard from friends still living on the island, that he's been seen about Sag Harbor riding some sort of old bike and side car setup, (they thought it was idiocy) now I know it's not their imagination nor is it some sort of 'old' rig....
Aging is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My kids call me 'crazy', I prefer 'Eccentric'.
Nullius in verba
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

That pug has more chins than the Chinese phone book.
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
easy

Post by easy »

I think he has a big collection of bikes mostly older cafe style
what did you trade the day for?
Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

Billy Joel is a big scooter/motorcycle rider. He actually owns quite a few....
jonlink

Post by jonlink »

Who cares that it's the NYT — it's more important that Billy Joel is on it! :D
Stormswift

Post by Stormswift »

Pets do tend to mimic characteristics of their owners. It is a great article. ince he owns Stella he may well be o this forum :wink:
I am not a scooter snob.
I am a scooter connoisseur
viney266

Post by viney266 »

He owns a small museum/shop up that way somewheres if my memory serves. Yes, he has a few bikes, and apparently a cool sidecar rig.
ONLY the coolest people own Stella sidecar rigs :P
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

I read in a MC mag not too long ago that he was a MC collector. I believe it was the Cafe bike mag.

Not a bad endorsement. He could own anything he wants.
TVB

Post by TVB »

Genuine should buy the rights to this photo and use it in ads, with the caption "Only The Good Die Young".
LunaP

Post by LunaP »

Drum Pro wrote:Billy Joel is a big scooter/motorcycle rider. He actually owns quite a few....
I was destined to ride scooters from the frigging start. My mom hates that I still ride... let's see what she says tonight when I tell her the awesome dude she idolizes whose song she named me after rides them, too!! WHAT NOW, MOM?
TVB wrote:Genuine should buy the rights to this photo and use it in ads, with the caption "Only The Good Die Young".
+1
LuvMyScoot

Post by LuvMyScoot »

KABarash wrote:It sure is......

Better yet it's Billy Joel riding it. I grew up on Long Island, Hicksville where he's from, wasn't too far from me. I was even set up on a 'blind date' while still in High School with his youngest sister once. I've heard from friends still living on the island, that he's been seen about Sag Harbor riding some sort of old bike and side car setup, (they thought it was idiocy) now I know it's not their imagination nor is it some sort of 'old' rig....
That's one of the great things about the Stella. It looks 100% vintage even when it's not. If I knew how to work a manual transmission I would definitely get me one of those...and a sidecar for my dog!
Stormswift

Post by Stormswift »

the only thing that he needs to take care of is his passenger riding gear: its his personal choice not to gear up but the pretty lady next to him needs helmet doggles and leather jacket (all can be found on the net)
I am not a scooter snob.
Spud

Post by Spud »

LunaP wrote:
Drum Pro wrote:Billy Joel is a big scooter/motorcycle rider. He actually owns quite a few....
I was destined to ride scooters from the frigging start. My mom hates that I still ride... let's see what she says tonight when I tell her the awesome dude she idolizes whose song she named me after rides them, too!! WHAT NOW, MOM?
TVB wrote:Genuine should buy the rights to this photo and use it in ads, with the caption "Only The Good Die Young".
+1
Just out of curiosity, what happened to your Buddy 170i? (I noticed the "RIP")
LunaP

Post by LunaP »

Spud wrote:
LunaP wrote:
+1
viewtopic.php?t=23460&highlight=story

TL:DR
Jan 2012 a cager creamed me and I came very close to losing my leg; totaled my brand-new 170i. I'm permanently physically impaired, but even more awesome. Sometimes I tell people that ask about my leg that I sustained my injuries while shark-wrestling. And I still ride... because, well, I can. I want a Buddy again though (as explained in my other post).
TVB

Post by TVB »

Stormswift wrote:the only thing that he needs to take care of is his passenger riding gear: its his personal choice not to gear up but the pretty lady next to him needs helmet doggles and leather jacket (all can be found on the net)
I think we can give him the benefit of the doubt regarding gear, since this is a posed-for-the-camera publicity shot, not a candid of him out riding. :)
TVB

Post by TVB »

LunaP wrote:I'm permanently physically impaired, but even more awesome.
It's true.
LunaP

Post by LunaP »

TVB wrote:
LunaP wrote:I'm permanently physically impaired, but even more awesome.
It's true.
And here I thought my opinion of myself was really just a simple case of inflated ego from to having a great day. Thanks, TVB! :P
Stormswift

Post by Stormswift »

TVB wrote:
Stormswift wrote:the only thing that he needs to take care of is his passenger riding gear: its his personal choice not to gear up but the pretty lady next to him needs helmet doggles and leather jacket (all can be found on the net)
I think we can give him the benefit of the doubt regarding gear, since this is a posed-for-the-camera publicity shot, not a candid of him out riding. :)
Agreed though she would have looked cute in http://www.baxterboo.com/dog/supplies.c ... acket-pink
or http://www.rockstarpuppyboutique.com/do ... othes.html
http://www.kooldawgtees.com/dog-motorcycle-clothes.html
Plenty of pink outfits
:wink:
I am not a scooter snob.
LunaP

Post by LunaP »

I'm going to have to quit this thread if we start posting a lot of cute dogs in clothes. On scooters.
Too much cute for me to handle.
MrChet

Post by MrChet »

BIlly was on last night's episode of American Restoration. He had an old BSA restored. Rick brought the bike to his shop/museum in NY and Billy showed a number of his "vintage" bikes. Seems his business is to buy modern bikes and vintage them up to take on the aire of older bikes.

I looked hard for his Stella but didn't see it on the show. Since History Channel plays endless reruns I am sure it will be on again. Billy seems like a pretty down to earth guy. Heck, he owns the same Avocado Stella color as me so he's gotta be a good guy!

:P
Spud

Post by Spud »

LunaP wrote:
Spud wrote:
LunaP wrote: I was destined to ride scooters from the frigging start. My mom hates that I still ride... let's see what she says tonight when I tell her the awesome dude she idolizes whose song she named me after rides them, too!! WHAT NOW, MOM?
+1
viewtopic.php?t=23460&highlight=story

TL:DR
Jan 2012 a cager creamed me and I came very close to losing my leg; totaled my brand-new 170i. I'm permanently physically impaired, but even more awesome. Sometimes I tell people that ask about my leg that I sustained my injuries while shark-wrestling. And I still ride... because, well, I can. I want a Buddy again though (as explained in my other post).
Omg, I too was hit by a car and sustained permanent leg injuries. I was on a bicycle and a car driver made a left turn right into me and snapped my leg in half.

I also have a lot of permanent impairments (and have dealt with over-optimistic orthopedists and many of the other things, although I didn't need skin grafts at least), so I really feel for you.

Good for you to keep riding! Don't let the cager win. 8)
chloefpuff

Post by chloefpuff »

Mr. Joel has good taste in his ride and his passenger.
so tough, so pink
LunaP

Post by LunaP »

Spud wrote:Good for you to keep riding! Don't let the cager win. 8)
+1 8)