Bad freakin day.

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Ninjasurfergirl

Bad freakin day.

Post by Ninjasurfergirl »

So today was a horrible day. I decorated my Buddy with cool Hawaiian decals and she looked really pretty, so I decided to take some pictures. I put my iPhone5 in my pocket and while I was cleaning my scooter, it dropped out of my pocket and shattered. Expensive object #1 ruined. Fast forward to later, my lovely fiance, who has a motorcycle, thought it would be an adventure to ride on River Street in downtown Savannah. Anyone that knows River Street knows that it is a horrible cobblestoned road not suited for 10 inch wheels. I tried to tell her I didn't want to go but she didn't hear me. Toward the end of the road, the streetcar track is regular road in the middle, so I tried to get onto that and the wheels slipped. I tried to catch her, but she flew away from me. Expensive object #2 ruined. That'll be a few hundred dollars in repairs. I am so sad right now.
gr8dog

Post by gr8dog »

Bad day indeed. I'm glad you weren't hurt.
Ninjasurfergirl

Thanks. My friend told me everyone drops their bike at some point and I would too, but I was so sure I was going to be an exception.
still shifting

Post by still shifting »

Damn! Sorry to hear and at least no blood was shed. R
klr6773

Post by klr6773 »

Sucks for sure. Glad you're not hurt,though..I was driving behind my wife last week after we picked up our Buddies from service. It was a hard drizzle at the time and when she crossed over the Portland streetcar track right at an intersection her back wheel fishtailed. She caught it in time, but it sure did give me a quick panic!

(Her "dump" was in our driveway, thankfully! I haven't had one yet-knock on wood!)

Hopefully you can get both things fixed soon!
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

can i be honest and say it doesn't sound so bad? a broken phone?

now, your fiance? her day not so good. a little more common sense needed on small wheels, but i am sure she is lovely as you say =]

keep your phone secured. when riding with another use Bluetooth for communication. better days :)

and, better to break some phones then break some bones!!
Riding is riding
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Does sound like a bad day. As a side note that is where CRB 2012 started...in the rain...cobble stones, rain, parallel tracks...my first thought was "2,400 miles...I hope I haven't made a bad mistake".

Phones can be replaced, Bikes can be fixed (actually a couple hundred for repairs is far from ruined)...

It sucks when we mess up our own stuff...I would much rather have someone else to blame...on the good side..it's stuff...not people..glad everyone is OK...that's what really matters!
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
Ninjasurfergirl

Yeah just some bumps and bruises, very sore and am working 12 hours at the hospital!
The damage actually wasn't as bad as it looked last night, the headlamp, right mirror, and handlebar panel definitely need to be replaced. Headlamp is taped on and she runs fine. And the right handle bar is crooked but I can still use it like normal. There's a couple of scuffs on the right side and the back panel needs to be popped in, but otherwise that's it. She just has some battle scars!
I got pulled over for going 18 in a 35 lol because I was scared that my headlamp would fall out but the cop was really cool and was able to temporarily pop it in!
3angieyou

Post by 3angieyou »

Luckily buddy panels are "cheap" and easy to replace yourself. Or you could rattle can it! Glad everyone is ok. I would, however, get the bent handlebar repaired.
Ninjasurfergirl

JHScoot wrote:can i be honest and say it doesn't sound so bad? a broken phone?

now, your fiance? her day not so good. a little more common sense needed on small wheels, but i am sure she is lovely as you say =]

keep your phone secured. when riding with another use Bluetooth for communication. better days :)

and, better to break some phones then break some bones!!
I like that idea! Thanks!
michelle_7728

Post by michelle_7728 »

I'm very sorry to hear about your scooter, but glad that you are okay. It could have been much worse...rough surfaces and train tracks can both be very bad news--this rider had 15-18 breaks in her tibia, and will be unable to ride for several months: http://modernvespa.com/forum/topic11270 ... ght=cdwise .

Regarding your phone, when you get another iPhone, pick up one of these cases for it: http://www.tech21.uk.com/Category/iphone_5_Cases (available on Amazon also). I have one of these for my HTC Amaze and I have dropped it countless times with no mishap.

Here's an explanation of how D30 works: http://www.tech21.uk.com/impactology/how_does_it_work
Last edited by michelle_7728 on Mon May 27, 2013 6:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Past bikes: 08' Genuine Buddy 125, '07 Yamaha Majesty 400, '07 Piaggio MP3 250, '08 Piaggio MP3 500, '08 Aprilia Scarabeo 500
Current bikes: Two '09 Genuine Buddy 125's
LunaP

Post by LunaP »

Ninjasurfergirl wrote:Thanks. My friend told me everyone drops their bike at some point and I would too, but I was so sure I was going to be an exception.
This was your mistake. Or, part of it. Always be prepared for something to happen.
The important thing, though, is that you weren't hurt.
I hope your fiance knows now not to lead you down streets like that... that was not the best idea. We have cobble streets here, but they aren't as severe as they could be.

FWIW, everybody mucks up the piece that surround the headlamp, as well as throws a mirror out of whack. Luckily, one of the the Buddy's mirrors is reverse threaded, so they are designed to fold inwards whenever something like that happens. Yaaay smart designs.

Sorry about the bad day in general, though... add some ice to the sore spots and rest up with a good movie and you'll feel better. Make your fiance get you dinner, too ;)
Tazio

Post by Tazio »

Sorry to hear about your double whammy, but as stated above, it's better to break anything rather than bones.
The Racer's Motto:
Broken bones heal,
Chicks dig the scars,
The pain is temporary,
but the glory is forever!