MZ Moskito

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

wschmechel

MZ Moskito

Post by wschmechel »

Anyone have any experience with the MZ Moskito? A neighbor of my wife's parents is thinking of selling a 50cc Moskito, but I know nothing about this company or the machine. In some light research, it appears MZ was a German-built bike. The owner said it runs, but is pretty oil-rich (it's a 2-stroke).

I've hardly seen the bike (kind of buried in his garage) but I would imagine I could get it for $300 or so. It would be for my wife as I'm not going to give up my Buddy! I appreciate any feedback you might have!
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

Actually it was the Moskito that first bit me with the scooter bug....
My then 'Lady Friend' and I had rented one for a day while vacationing in Chincoteague the summer of '03.
Having not ridden anything 2 wheeled with a motor since the late '70s I had a blast, it seemed to be able to get around with an amazing amount of vigor considering it was an abused rental. The two of us combined, riding 2up I'd think was about 350 lbs +/-

I spent the rest of that summer hunting where to buy one with no luck here in south/central Pa to the point I was going to contact the rental place in Chincoteague where I initially fell upon them but he wanted retail price even for his used and abused rental stock!
THAT'S when I found Genuine but however bought my Met then in the spring of 05.

I am by no means a mechanic but if the price is right........
Aging is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My kids call me 'crazy', I prefer 'Eccentric'.
Nullius in verba
wschmechel

Post by wschmechel »

Thanks for the response! It was good to hear that this machine got you hooked! I don't know anyone who's tried a scoot and didn't get hooked themselves!

I think the bike has been rather well taken care of, and I've got access to a good mechanic, so maybe I'll have to get negotiating!
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Just be advised that there is probably no such thing as parts. MZ has done been and gone. They were a storied motorcycle company with a long history, but in recent times they were mostly famous for a particular model of two-stroke motorcycle, the ETZ 250 & 500, which we never got in the United States because it didn't meet EPA regs. It was a cheap, dead-simple bike (with terrible OEM tires that everybody replaced right away). They were particularly popular with dispatch riders in the UK. In the 1990s they tried to make a comeback with an angular-looking sport motorcycle that wasn't a hit and that was that.
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

Funny though, I hadn't thought of the Moskito in several years until this thread, now I see this too....
http://lancaster.craigslist.org/mcy/3812885022.html
Aging is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My kids call me 'crazy', I prefer 'Eccentric'.
Nullius in verba
Keys

Post by Keys »

Wow. That's a LOT of "greats"!!!
"Life without music would Bb"
wschmechel

Post by wschmechel »

Wow. That's a LOT of "greats"!!!
Right? See if he'll take a thesaurus as a trade.

Or call him and tell him that you're interested...but will take $100 off your offer for each time he uses "great" as a description of it...then ask how it runs and how it is on gas, etc...