The benefits of a Motorcycle Safety Class

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

gar1013

The benefits of a Motorcycle Safety Class

Post by gar1013 »

So this morning on the ride in, I had a nice 3-5 second period to contemplate the benefits of having taken a motorcycle safety course back in the day.

I say 3-5 seconds, because that's the length of time I was skidding on a locked rear wheel. Basically, zooming downhill, approaching the light which went yellow, and decided that due to the lack of hp, I'd err on the side of "caution". Naturally, going downill with all the weight on the front wheel and a rear drum in the back, this was a recipe for a lockup.

Kept everything more or less in line, and even managed to bring everything to a halt with my front wheel resting on the limiting line.

One of the most effective things we did in the motorcycle safety class I took was training on locking the rear brake. It's something that can happen to anyone, especially when you're getting used to a bike, and it's something where your initial reaction can be the difference between keeping it upright versus high-siding.

I've known plenty of people who talked about getting scooters, who would never even consider a motorcycle -- probably the most ridiculous distinction in the world, given that they thought motorcycles were dangerous and scooters are safe.

Each and every time I ever hear about someone wanting to ride, the first thing I tell them is to take a motorcycle safety class. The second thing is to wear a full face helmet, because you have about a 35% chance of smashing your general mouth area in an accident. The third thing is wear gloves, because you would be amazed at how much blood can come out of your hands.

So for the other folks out there who've taken a safety class, what's stuck with you the most? For me, it's obviously the lesson on locking the rear brake. Second place would probably be the exercise involving obstacle avoidance where you combine a hard left with a hard right -- served me well when I had to dodge a deer that was thrashing around on the ground after being struck by a rider who the #1 bike in the pack (with me being #2).
amyrob56

Be Aware Be Aware Be Aware - I am invisible!

Post by amyrob56 »

That is what was drilled into the students in our class. Three weeks after class I was practically panicked even when driving in my car. BUT I was aware and I noticed all kinds of stupid and unsafe driving and action around me.

We ride our motorcycles in the woods and wetlands in west central Wisconsin, ususally in the late afternoon (after the day's projects are done) and we have been startled by and startled wildlife on every single ride. :shock: :shock:
Mary Somerville

Post by Mary Somerville »

For me it was running over the 2x4. Before the class I think I would have hit the panic button and probably done something stupid--which would have involved screeching brakes and screeching me.

Not that I like to run over road obstacles, but I don't choke. Or on a pothole of similar size, I remain confident that I can handle it.
gar1013

Post by gar1013 »

Mary Somerville wrote:For me it was running over the 2x4. Before the class I think I would have hit the panic button and probably done something stupid--which would have involved screeching brakes and screeching me.

Not that I like to run over road obstacles, but I don't choke. Or on a pothole of similar size, I remain confident that I can handle it.
Whoa! I didn't get to run over a 2x4 - sounds like fun!
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

i
gar1013 wrote:
Each and every time I ever hear about someone wanting to ride, the first thing I tell them is to take a motorcycle safety class. The second thing is to wear a full face helmet, because you have about a 35% chance of smashing your general mouth area in an accident. The third thing is wear gloves, because you would be amazed at how much blood can come out of your hands.

i always tell people to learn to ride a bit first, then take the class. or learn to ride a lot. not like a bat out of hell, just ride some. or take the class, sure. but don't expect to be a safer or better rider on the road if a newbie with a license. to say that would be false imo

i think its outrageous a single weekend is enough instruction to obtain a license to ride a 1000cc racing bike. outrageous, i say!!

hey look i got my license and now i can RIDE as well as anyone. that is the message it sends imo, and its the wrong one for many

i will blame the STATE for this outrageousness. meanwhile if you been riding for years but make ONE mistake in that stupid little DMV circle, oh.....FAIL!!

meh :roll:
Riding is riding
gar1013

Post by gar1013 »

See, I think it's better to do the class before you get onto the roadways - and I'm saying it as someone who would rent bikes down in Florida despite no formal training. The basic class gives you some info that really should e considered mandatory.

I'm actually toying with the idea of doing the advanced riders' course - always meant to but never did. At any rate, the idea is to go beyond the basic class, but to do so with people that have gotten enough real world riding experience for there to be a benefit.

I have never understood why we don't have graduated licenses for bikes AND cars in the US... Oh wait, that's right, it's because it would somehow be unfair if we required people to demonstrate actual competence before giving them access to the most powerful vehicle they can afford.
Stephen Gomes

Post by Stephen Gomes »

Yup, wife and I just finished the class a couple of weeks ago. The two things stressed over and over were caution on the front brake because if it locks you are down instantly; and if the rear happens to lock up and starts to come around just keep it locked and bring the bike to a stop, otherwise hi-side guaranteed as the rear hooks up not in line with the front.

Good post.

Steve
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

For me it was doing all your breaking before a turn and then giving it gas through the turn. I live in a town built in a river valley and spend a lot of time turning while going downhill.
I was really surprised how much more stable my turns are now that I am off the breaks.