Hello, and should I buy it? (Update - I Bought It!)

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

CapnK

Hello, and should I buy it? (Update - I Bought It!)

Post by CapnK »

Hi everyone, erm, "Buddiers" ;)

I've been thinking of getting some low-cost 2 wheel transportation for a little while, since my much-loved Astro van, although great for hauling 'stuff' and a sort of mini-RV the way I have it customized, has an appetite for fuel that is to be expected from a vehicle with the aerodynamics of a brick. That and the 27 gallon gas tank make for some "fun" visits to the gas station, as you can imagine...

Originally I was thinking of a smallish, older motorcycle, something in a price range of maybe $2K that needed some wrenching, but once running good would also be a vehicle I could even take on a back-roads road trip.

Looking around, I ran across the fact that what I have always pretty much considered "DUIcycles" are actually some pretty darned nice, affordable, fast, and very efficient methods of locomotion. At first I was looking hard at some "Chinese scooters" because they are so very cheap, seemingly, as long as you aren't scared of tools (actually, it seems you need to not be scared of tools, for most of them...).

Then, digging through Craigslist to see what was locally available, I saw this pretty neat looking, well-in-my-price-range thing called a "Buddy". 2 days of much online research, some back and forth with the seller, and I will be going down to see this Buddy in person sometime very soon, making a deposit so he'll hold it for me for the week or so while I get the rest of the money and my Class M DL.

It seems to me that at ~2K this is a pretty sweet deal, to the point that even if I don't like scootering, I could resell this Buddy Italia for what I put into it, basically. Below are the (edited) Craigslist details and pictures; sorry, the ALL CAPS are from the ad poster, an elderly gentleman.

Based on what you see there, I am asking you the Genuinely Buddy Knowledgeable ;) what are your:

Opinions? Advice? What should I look for/at when seeing the Buddy for the first time? Are there any words of wisdom you'd care to share, pre-viewing/purchase? Many thanks in advance!

------------ CL Ad Text Follows --------------

GENUINE BUDDY, FROM AMERICA'S SCOOTER COMPANY.... I'VE RIDDEN IT ABOUT 20 MILES, AND THE TOTAL MILEAGE IS JUST UNDER 900. ... OPTIONS INCLUDE FRONT AND REAR CHROME RACKS, CHROME COWL PROTECTORS, UNDERSEAT REMOVABLE LUGGAGE BAG, NEW BELL 500 MAGNUM HELMET WITH GOGGLES, 12V CHARGER, LOUD HORN, OWNER'S MANUAL, KEY, TITLE WITH BILL OF SALE. IT IS VERY QUICK, 65+ WITH MY 200 LBS. CVT NO SHIFTING TRANSMISSION, ELECTRIC AND KICK START, BATTERY TENDER, NEW BATTERY, MOBIL 1 SYNTHETIC OIL, AND, I GUESS, YOU JUST HAVE TO SEE IT. SCOOTER HAS NEVER SEEN RAIN, AND HAS ALWAYS KEPT IN CLIMATE-CONTROLLED GARAGE. CASH ONLY.
Attachments
5.jpg
5.jpg (32.74 KiB) Viewed 1628 times
4.jpg
4.jpg (53.29 KiB) Viewed 1628 times
3.jpg
3.jpg (55.08 KiB) Viewed 1628 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (52.54 KiB) Viewed 1628 times
1.jpg
1.jpg (63.27 KiB) Viewed 1628 times
Last edited by CapnK on Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.
CapnK

Post by CapnK »

A quick follow-on to my first post:

I run several community forums myself (mostly related to boats and boating communities), so I wanted to say Thanks! to the Admin and Moderators for the MB Forum and the time/effort/money you put into providing the community with this resource!

:)
Alexbv200
Dealer

Post by Alexbv200 »

That's a great bike at a even better price..
Go for it!!!

The 150 is pretty damn quick!
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Don't buy Chinese!

Go buy it now!

Great scooter, low mileage...hardly broken in...very reasonable price with the accessories.

Toss the helmet and get a new one...there is no telling what that one has been through

Welcome to MB and let us know what happens!
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Yeah, what the others said. Do remember that model Buddy has a carburetor, rather than fuel injection, so you want to make sure it hasn't sat around and gotten a gunked up carb from gas sitting in it. If it idles, runs and carburets correctly, then no worries. If not, the carb will need to be cleaned. No matter what, I'd treat the gas in it as suspect and treat it with a little Seafoam. The only other worry from sitting is the battery can go flat pretty quickly and may require replacement. Again, not a big deal or a lot of expense, just something to think about. Otherwise, that looks like one pristine example of what many folks think was the most handsome model/color Buddy at a very nice price. Good luck! Please hang around and tell us about your future Buddy experiences.

P.S. I'm 100% with buddyraton about the helmet. Give it back to the owner and get a properly-fitting new helmet of your own.
michelle_7728

Post by michelle_7728 »

It sounds like a great deal (and probably is :) ), but keep in mind that that 65 mh, is most likely bmph ("Buddy" miles per hour). Buddy speedometers are typically 10% optomistic. On a flat and level you may or may not get to 60+ actual miles per hour.

I'm not saying that to talk you out of it, as I believe Buddys are awesome (I have two), but just so you know.

If non-freeway commuting is what you are wanting it for (or 55mph off-freeway roads), then you can't go wrong. You will have a blast on that little scooter. :D

Pick up some saddlebags, and you can make it into a very practical and fun way to go to the store (even Costco if you aren't looking to get big ticket items). :P
Past bikes: 08' Genuine Buddy 125, '07 Yamaha Majesty 400, '07 Piaggio MP3 250, '08 Piaggio MP3 500, '08 Aprilia Scarabeo 500
Current bikes: Two '09 Genuine Buddy 125's
TVB

Post by TVB »

Yeah, it looks like a good deal.

While I agree with the general principle of not trusting a used helmet, a little critical evaluation can still be applied: If the helmet looks like he really did buy it 20 miles ago, and the scooter shows no signs of having been in an accident (e.g. scratches)... I'd consider it good. Of course if it doesn't fit quite right or isn't the kind of helmet you want, then definitely buy your own.

But either way, if the owner is selling because he's decided riding isn't for him (which sounds like the case here), you can still be gracious and take the helmet, then dispose of it yourself. Or tell him you already have one if you really don't want to deal with it. Refusing to take it (implicitly accusing him of trying to sell you bad gear, when he's probably just trying to make sure you have proper gear) is unnecessarily rude.
still shifting

Post by still shifting »

Good Buy, well worth it. what mileage does your Asto van get, I ask because a friend just bought one... R
Mary Somerville

Post by Mary Somerville »

That looks terrific. If I saw that locally I'd beat you over there.

Do pick it up.
CapnK

Post by CapnK »

Spoke with the owner just now, will be going down tomorrow AM to see the as-yet unnamed Buddy. :)

Been reading many many MB threads all day today... great stuff!

I'm glad to see it confirmed that this is a good scoot/deal, doubly so since what I have been reading about the company and the scooters has made a good impression already. With the Buddy so nice, new, and only nearly to the end of "break-in", I expect that with some care and regular attention to maintenance we could have a long term relationship developing. Names are already being considered. ;)

Carburetor - excellent, I much prefer an old-school carb I can work on to a FI system that can only be replaced, not repaired. I am not sure of the exact vintage of the Buddy, but would wager it is an '09 or '10.

Helmet - Thanks for the advice and concern! I'd rather a full-face helmet, but *IF* this one is brand new *AND* it fits perfectly, I'll use it for a bit while larnin' more about all the helmet choices out there, and setting some dough aside for a good one. There are scads of them; it must have taken me 30 minutes of searching the 'net to find out that based on what I can see of it in the pics above, it is not a Bell "500 Magnum" (a model which apparently has never existed), but instead a Bell R/T with visor. We'll see, I guess, as I may only be wearing it long enough to get to the helmet shop... :)

BMPH - I read of those last night, and have seen them referred to many times in todays reading. 'Nuff said, I reckon. :D

Bags - funny you should post that michelle, because when I saw your bagged-up Buddy avatar earlier today in another thread I then searched your posts to see what you were using, as it is something I am very interested in - more on that subject, and why, later.

Astro vans - great vehicles, they have a huge cult following. I like my Astro (her name is Betty) as much as I used to like my Westy, and that's not uncommon among owners. :) There are several online communities much like MB in the enthusiasm, experience, advice, and information density available there. Tell your friend about them, it will do them much good to go check the sites/forums out. WRT mileage - Using a bit of above-average but not-quite "hypermiler" care, you can see 21-23 when driving mostly hiway. Average driving with some care but in-town use, you can more likely expect 17-19. Mine currently has a intermittent issue with (I think) the fuel injection, so I am seeing only 12-14 mpg's without really trying to get that figure up any since I only drive ~20 miles per week. Once I have my Buddy, I will be able to fight the evil injector demons until Betty is running happy again. :)

Mary - nothing personal, you understand, but I am glad you are in Boston. ;)

Thanks everyone for the welcome and the advice so far!
TVB

Post by TVB »

CapnK wrote:it is not a Bell "500 Magnum" (a model which apparently has never existed), but instead a Bell R/T with visor.
I'm not sure where "magnum" might have come from, but the "500" is a 3/4-helmet design that Bell has been selling forever (with engineering changes). It was marketed as the "R/T" until recently, and is currently sold as the "Custom 500".
skipper20

Post by skipper20 »

Mary Somerville wrote:That looks terrific. If I saw that locally I'd beat you over there.

Do pick it up.
One thing that hasn't been mentioned is that the scooter is equipped with both the rear AND front racks. As priced options, these are worth around $100 probably more. Yes, if it starts right up, idles nicely and accelerates smoothly, do pick it up. You won't go wrong.

Bill in Seattle
'12 170i Italia "The Olive Pit"
michelle_7728

Post by michelle_7728 »

CapnK wrote:Bags - funny you should post that michelle, because when I saw your bagged-up Buddy avatar earlier today in another thread I then searched your posts to see what you were using, as it is something I am very interested in - more on that subject, and why, later.
Fieldsheer quit selling their Expander Saddlebags (pictured on my black Buddy) a couple of years ago, but I have a pair of these as well, (http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/3/ ... ebags.aspx) and I've got to say that although they are a little pricy, they are really good...The entire top zips open to make loading easier, and they are also very good quality.

You can unzip one entire saddlebag off, from the strap that connects the two, and carry it separately into a store if desired, and the strap system they use can be adjusted to accommodate a Buddy, or something as beamy as a Yamaha Majesty or an MP3, though it's a few minute process to make that adjustment.
Past bikes: 08' Genuine Buddy 125, '07 Yamaha Majesty 400, '07 Piaggio MP3 250, '08 Piaggio MP3 500, '08 Aprilia Scarabeo 500
CapnK

Post by CapnK »

TVB - re: the helmet, that was pretty much what I figured out after looking at a bunch of different websites. I'll see the helmet "live" today, in about 4 hours, to know for sure...

skipper Bill - You're right, I was looking at Scooterworks for a windshield, and saw that the cowl protectors, which require the back rack + adding the front rack, is right at $300 of usable bling. :) Also, another thread on MB regarding top cases dealt with the fact that the rear rack is only rated for ~10#'s, due to load vibration. It looks as if the rack could easily use the cowl guard as some additional bracing to beef that up a bit.

michelle - those look like they would do the job just fine! The one thing I didn't see on their site were any specific dimensions for the relative sizes of bags. What size did you go with?

Today, I ride a Buddy. My soon-Buddy... :D
Mary Somerville

Welcome to the club! I've been checking back today to see if you did it.

Yay!
michelle_7728

Post by michelle_7728 »

CapnK wrote:michelle - those look like they would do the job just fine! The one thing I didn't see on their site were any specific dimensions for the relative sizes of bags. What size did you go with?
Well, unfortunately, I don't know the answer to that question. When I bought (well, part trade / part cash) my 2007 Yamaha Majesty 400, they threw in the saddlebags. I liked them so much I didn't return the favor when I sold the bike a year or so later. :P

From the descriptions I saw on that website (err...comments I read there) I'm guessing I have the large set. If you are interested I could measure them and let you know.

I think I put saddlebags on my bike differently than most other people. I don't put them under the seat, but just set them on top. On the Buddy, you end up sitting on top of the cross straps anyhow so they aren't going to go anywhere...and on anything bigger (like the Majesty, the MP3s or the Scarabeo), I also bungie them down. I do this for a couple of reasons: gets them further from the exhaust (even though they have that material on them that allows them to be closer); I get a little more underseat storage when the cross strap isn't there; I think the saddlebags look much better higher up on the scooter; and I find them a lot easier to remove. When I go in to a store and want to leave them outside, I just run a cable through the handles and around the bike, locking the padlock to one of the bike's wheels.
Attachments
Sorry...I don't have a picture of the other saddlebags on either of my Buddys....
Sorry...I don't have a picture of the other saddlebags on either of my Buddys....
Costco run.jpg (85.92 KiB) Viewed 1468 times
CapnK

Post by CapnK »

Went and saw the new-to-me Buddy yesterday. She looks like she does in the pics, except for some small scrapes on the right side down low, and an associated little nick on the front fender. Not like she was laid down at speed, more like she might have gotten away from someone who started up and revved the motor while not sitting on the seat, and she jumped off the stand... Minor, minor blemishes. There are some scuff marks on the foot pad, too.

If that is all I have to "complain" about... :D

She started instantly, and the engine was cold (I checked prior, by feeling the oil cooler - it was cool to the touch), so I know that there was no hijinx there - she is in good shape as described in the ad. Quieter than I expected while running, smooth on revving - I didn't actually take her for a spin, but will do so before handing over the balance, just to see what happens with some speed. Lotsa bling and extras. Helmet is brand new, and fits well. Still, I think I will pony up for a full-face one pretty soon.

In short - Good thing I beat Mary to it. :D

Michelle - no need to measure the bags, but Thx! :) They look about right in that picture. Also thanks for the mounting tips.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - M. Twain
Mary Somerville

Heh. I was just agonizing to my housemate about the great deal you got.

We are jealous! But very happy for you.

He just got rid of his cage today, and for now we will share mine. But it would be great to have another Buddy in the flock.
jonlink

Post by jonlink »

Nice find! Enjoy scooting around, it's addicting.
michelle_7728

Post by michelle_7728 »

CapnK wrote:Michelle - no need to measure the bags, but Thx! :) They look about right in that picture. Also thanks for the mounting tips.
Congrats on your purchase! You are going to love your Buddy!

...and I'm very sorry for the confusion, but that picture was just showing how saddlebags look sitting higher up on the Buddy...those are NOT the saddlebags you can buy now that you were asking about the size for...I don't have any pictures of those handy on either of my Buddys.

Here those specific bags are on my Scarabeo 500. Keep in mind that the Beo is taller and wider than the Buddy, so the bags would look bigger on the Buddy. :) Sorry about the picture quality... :roll:

Oh! And I think the bag you show in your pet carrier might be the same one on pictured on the floorboard of my orange Buddy. Very useful bag--great for putting a Costco fryer chicken in so it stays hot on the ride home...or putting freezer items you need to stay cold on the ride home. :P
Attachments
Costco run (3-23-2013).jpg
Costco run (3-23-2013).jpg (125.78 KiB) Viewed 1413 times
CapnK

Post by CapnK »

The Buddy came home with me Friday. Picked up about 30 miles away from here, I was going to run it home but it seemed "twitchy" once I got on the highway, so after a mile or two I pulled over and we put it in the back of my friends truck for the rest of the way. He'd been behind me and said I got up to about 38mph or so, and that the rear tire looked a little soft. Found out that the tire pressures were 20 front and only 15 rear - far from the recommended 30psi in each! She handled much better once I took care of that...

The helmet is a bit too large, I have a new one ordered. Other than that, everything is great. I have ridden every day, and man does the Buddy get compliments! I even saw a tourist taking a picture as I rode by this evening, lol. I'm only planning to have it for a little while, but I really like it enough that if I could at all keep it, I would. SO much fun to ride! :)

Here she is in a bit of a "glamour shot" I took this evening and 'chopped to show her colors & lines off better, and bedded down for her first night home...
Attachments
Purty purty!
Purty purty!
buddy1_6_22_13_800pix.jpg (96.06 KiB) Viewed 1356 times
Under cover and snug as a bug in a rug...
Under cover and snug as a bug in a rug...
1st_night.jpg (50.35 KiB) Viewed 1356 times
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - M. Twain
TVB

Post by TVB »

Good for you: trusting your intuition, and trucking instead of continuing to ride on underinflated tires.
michelle_7728

Post by michelle_7728 »

Very cute--congrats!

Why do you say you will only have it for a short time?
CapnK

Post by CapnK »

TVB - It would have been a long, scary, exhausting ride on those tires. :)

Michelle - Originally I wasn't even in the market for a scooter, I was looking for a small motorcycle to do secondary-road road trips, ideally a loooong one from SC to San Diego and back, roundabout. That and maybe some light offroad riding. When I was younger, we had a Honda CB125, and I have always wanted to get one of those again someday. They are hard to find, however, and in the process of looking I found out that all scooters are *not* created equal, that the larger part of them are not "DUI cycles" but real honest-to-goodness transportation. That got me to looking at scooters as an alternative to the impossible-to-find CB125, and I ran across this Buddy nearby, and here we are. :)

Then, barely a week later but after I'd committed to buying the Buddy, I learned (from a post here) about the SYM Wolf Classic 150. Looking into that, I found my old CB125, in a more modern form and with some extra cc's. :) And wouldn't you know, it turns out that there was one here in the MB "For Sale" area the whole time... 8) So I am buying that Wolf and having it delivered in ~2 weeks, at which time I will sell the Buddy, since I live on a boat, don't have a garage and want it to have a good home, and also have a van - I don't need a 3rd vehicle or the costs of a 3rd insurance policy, lol.

After having ridden it the past 3 days now I understand the scooter allure, especially the Buddy version :), and I really, really wish I could keep it, it is so much fun and such a nice piece of gear. If I could get by without the van, maybe - but I need that for hauling stuff.

Kind of a bummer, huh? But someone will be getting a great Buddy in excellent shape and for a good deal when I sell her.

But I do plan on grabbing a lotto ticket every week til then, just in case... :D
Attachments
Wolf
Wolf
BigWolf_800.jpg (145.76 KiB) Viewed 1332 times
skully93

Post by skully93 »

Bummer you have to switch it so fast, but fortunately it should fetch a good price.

Those crash bars are gold! I have the same setup (150) except no front rack. Great machine.

I think you'll like the Sym too.
scullyfu

Post by scullyfu »

CONGRATS! find a terrific buy on a terrific scooter is always cause for a large amount of glee. :)
WE'RE GOING THE WRONG WAY!!! Starbuck, BSG