Keep your insurance up!

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

skully93

Keep your insurance up!

Post by skully93 »

So a friend lost his buddy to theft a couple weeks back, and this looks awfully familiar...http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/3847555114.html

So, I called up the appropriate detective, with the report #, on his behalf. They didn't care. They said he would have to call, which he did, and they still didn't care.

I realize it's a low-cost item and they can't devote much time to it, but if it just falls right into your lap....

Seems like the best defense is good insurance.
Stilts

Post by Stilts »

did he have insurance and did it pay out?
scullyfu

Post by scullyfu »

would you or your friend be able to go on a scouting expedition to go check out the scoot's vin #? if it is your friend's scoot and he can prove it, has a key, just jump on it ad take off. what are they gonna do?! :) or, maybe contact the friend's insurance and see if they'd do anything; assuming that he had it totally insured. good luck!
WE'RE GOING THE WRONG WAY!!! Starbuck, BSG
ravenlore

Post by ravenlore »

scullyfu wrote:would you or your friend be able to go on a scouting expedition to go check out the scoot's vin #? if it is your friend's scoot and he can prove it, has a key, just jump on it ad take off. what are they gonna do?! :) or, maybe contact the friend's insurance and see if they'd do anything; assuming that he had it totally insured. good luck!
I second this. Hell, if i was there i'd volunteer to assist.
BeefSupreme

Post by BeefSupreme »

From the 1st and 3rd pics, it looks like something has been jimmy'd into the ignition. I bet they fit it nicely into the suv in the background. I'd totally want to go "take it for a test drive", but be wary that if they scouted it before stealing it, they may recognize the owner. Sticky situation.
TVB

Post by TVB »

It probably won't do any good, but I'd try calling somebody else in law enforcement, to see if they'll bite. Such as a county sheriff or state PD if the city PD doesn't care (you don't know exactly what jurisdiction the perp is in), or reporting it to a different office or even just calling at a different time of day to get someone else - who might be less apathetic about their job - on the phone.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Call your city council rep and/or the newspaper. You would be surprised at how well that can work.

I would advise against the "test ride into the sunset" If people are willing to sell stolen vehicles who knows what else they will do
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
Stilts

Post by Stilts »

BuddyRaton wrote:Call your city council rep and/or the newspaper. You would be surprised at how well that can work.

I would advise against the "test ride into the sunset" If people are willing to sell stolen vehicles who knows what else they will do
I second this. Local elected officials are a huge untapped resource in situations like this.
skully93

Post by skully93 »

He'll make money on the insurance payout, so he's not going to go out of his way much :).

I'm more irritated that I offered to provide a lead and the response from the detective was "we don't really care".

Gee, glad to know you're on it...
TVB

Post by TVB »

That scoot does look pretty ... used.
Syd

Post by Syd »

Is that a toy police cruiser in the background of Picture #3? Sheesh, the toy cops are stealing scoots in the Queen City?
The majority is always sane - Nessus
michelle_7728

Post by michelle_7728 »

Syd wrote:Is that a toy police cruiser in the background of Picture #3? Sheesh, the toy cops are stealing scoots in the Queen City?
Excellent point. There is a # "054" on the fender of that police cruiser.

That should get some kind of reaction I would think...
Past bikes: 08' Genuine Buddy 125, '07 Yamaha Majesty 400, '07 Piaggio MP3 250, '08 Piaggio MP3 500, '08 Aprilia Scarabeo 500
Current bikes: Two '09 Genuine Buddy 125's
Syd

Post by Syd »

michelle_7728 wrote:
Syd wrote:Is that a toy police cruiser in the background of Picture #3? Sheesh, the toy cops are stealing scoots in the Queen City?
Excellent point. There is a # "054" on the fender of that police cruiser.

That should get some kind of reaction I would think...
Duh, missed that completely. Where is Francis?
The majority is always sane - Nessus
jonlink

Post by jonlink »

BeefSupreme wrote:I bet they fit it nicely into the suv in the background.
...which was also stolen :roll:
UWHusky

Post by UWHusky »

Wow. You mean the thief has listed it on CL already, and the PoPo won't even investigate it?

What are we paying these public servants for?? to write speeding tickets and boost the doughnut economy??

sheesh!
Witch

Post by Witch »

I'm sadly not suprized. Back when I lived in LA, my roommate's and my apartment got robbed, and the police were called immediately. There was a large hand print on the window that was broken, and it was done by a repeat offender. We were told to make a list of everything we could remember that had been stolen, and the estimated value of it all.

Then we were told that the total amount of our stolen possessions was not enough for them to be immediately concerned about.

They did go directly to the offender's house to arrest him... 5 days after he had pawned everything he stole from us. We didn't get anything back.