A bad habit + extra question

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Spud

A bad habit + extra question

Post by Spud »

I got to finally enjoy my scooter today. :) It's a lot of fun, and I'm finally getting the hang of the center stand (haven't tried the kick starter yet though).

I notice that I seem to have a hard time not partially disengaging the clutch at speeds of 2-5 mph. I think I picked up this habit from when I used to ride a GS500, which tended to lug badly at anything below 7 or so mph. I'm not sure if it was just mine that was like that, though--probably.

How can I kill this habit? I know it's bad for the engine (causes it to overheat).

Also, are there any situations where it is appropriate to ride with the clutch partially engaged ("half in, half out"), if only for a few seconds (such as moving forward a few yards to a stop sign)? Or, is it always something to be avoided?

Extra question:

I notice that shifting is a bit "clunky" from 1st to 2nd gear, and 2nd to 1st. Is it just my Stella, or are they all like this? It feels like Neutral is its own "full click" between 1st and 2nd, and I seem to keep shifting into neutral when I want to remain in gear.

Overall my first few miles of riding were great fun. I like how the horn is loud enough to get a daydreaming driver's attention (unlike the comical duck quack of some small old bikes from yesteryear).
Goldfishpimp

Post by Goldfishpimp »

"I notice that shifting is a bit "clunky" from 1st to 2nd gear, and 2nd to 1st. Is it just my Stella, or are they all like this? It feels like Neutral is its own "full click" between 1st and 2nd, and I seem to keep shifting into neutral when I want to remain in gear.
"
That was the first thing I noticed about my Stella and this advice was very helpful to me: Only go into 1st gear from a dead stop. If you have shifted into neutral and are coasting at only a few miles an hour, 2nd gear has enough pull to shift directly into. Other than that, it just took a little getting used to shifting from 1st, thru neutral and into 2nd... but now I don't even think about it.

As far as your clutch not fully disengaging ... it may just need to be adjusted. If you’re unfamiliar with that (you won't be for long)... your dealer should be able to quickly check and adjust for you.
Spud

Post by Spud »

Goldfishpimp wrote:
"I notice that shifting is a bit "clunky" from 1st to 2nd gear, and 2nd to 1st. Is it just my Stella, or are they all like this? It feels like Neutral is its own "full click" between 1st and 2nd, and I seem to keep shifting into neutral when I want to remain in gear.
"
That was the first thing I noticed about my Stella and this advice was very helpful to me: Only go into 1st gear from a dead stop. If you have shifted into neutral and are coasting at only a few miles an hour, 2nd gear has enough pull to shift directly into. Other than that, it just took a little getting used to shifting from 1st, thru neutral and into 2nd... but now I don't even think about it.
Thanks!
As far as your clutch not fully disengaging ... it may just need to be adjusted. If you’re unfamiliar with that (you won't be for long)... your dealer should be able to quickly check and adjust for you.
It's actually not like that--it's that I subconsciously halfway pull in the clutch at slow speeds. I know I really shouldn't do this...I'm trying to stop, but it takes me a few seconds to even notice I'm doing it. :o
Goldfishpimp

Post by Goldfishpimp »

Oh... gotcha. Sorry, can't help you there.
I can tell you that the learning curve is pretty quick. I had been riding motorcycles for almost 20 years when I bought my Stella and I about killed myself on the way home :D .... By the end of the week, I felt like I had been riding it for years.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Spud wrote: It's actually not like that--it's that I subconsciously halfway pull in the clutch at slow speeds. I know I really shouldn't do this...I'm trying to stop, but it takes me a few seconds to even notice I'm doing it. :o

Then you just have to learn to stop that or learn how to pull and rebuild a clutch...which really isn't that bad.

Would you ride the clutch in a manual shift car? It's the same thing

Is it a 2T or 4T?

Yeah it's fine to creep forward sometimes but you don't want to "ride" the clutch. For one thing you will get it nice and hot as well as the gear lube or oil.
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
Spud

Post by Spud »

BuddyRaton wrote:
Spud wrote: It's actually not like that--it's that I subconsciously halfway pull in the clutch at slow speeds. I know I really shouldn't do this...I'm trying to stop, but it takes me a few seconds to even notice I'm doing it. :o

Then you just have to learn to stop that or learn how to pull and rebuild a clutch...which really isn't that bad.
Maybe not, but I'd rather learn the former than the latter. I'll make sure not to let it happen when I go out riding tomorrow.
Would you ride the clutch in a manual shift car? It's the same thing
Of course not. I'll have to keep this in mind.
Is it a 2T or 4T?
4t