Success...sort of!

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Stilts

Success...sort of!

Post by Stilts »

She's running and I even managed to finish it myself. Although changing a gear cable is pretty easy, I'd never done it and managed to pull it off, figuring out how to use that damnable (but very helpful!) fourth hand tool in the process. All I've got to do now is put some hardware back on. She's starting to look a bit Frankenstein-ish, but I'll deal with that over the winter break.

However...

The neutral light is on all the time. She shifts fine, I would even say better than before (especially downshifting), but that light is green all the time. What did I miss? The only difference between now and then is that the declutch safety switch is no longer installed. I couldn't get the old one out and honestly I've been kickstarting it more often anyways.

Thoughts?
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

I believe that the neutral switch on the Stella is a normally-open switch that closes (and grounds the Neutral light circuit) when the shift selector is moved to the Neutral gear position. You can test this theory by disconnecting the neutral light wire and grounding it to the engine block or chassis with the ignition in the On position. The engine doesn't need to be running; it's probably safer if it isn't running.

The neutral light should only come on when grounded. If the light is On and you haven't grounded the wire yet, you may have a short in the wire. If the light works only when grounded to the chassis, the neutral switch is probably broken and will most likely need to be replaced.
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
Stilts

Post by Stilts »

Thanks, az_slynch. I'll test this tomorrow evening. Thanks!
Stilts

Post by Stilts »

Haven't looked at the wire yet (that's tonight's task) but I noticed that the light goes off in 3rd and 4th gear. Weird.