NSR - Torchwood / Dr. Who / Sherlock/ i.e. BBC Geek chat

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

ScootLemont

NSR - Torchwood / Dr. Who / Sherlock/ i.e. BBC Geek chat

Post by ScootLemont »

Does the doctor keep the vespa in the Tardis?

Image Image Image
Last edited by ScootLemont on Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ressikan

Post by Ressikan »

if he doesn't, he should!
"You haven't lived until you ride."

"Everything is better with bacon."

Hwarang

Post by Hwarang »

There's a vespa in that pic?! :P rrrroooowwwwrrrrrr!
"Limitations are the soil from which creativity grows." - Zeldman
"All that glitters is not golden" - Shakespeare
"Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known" - Carl Sagan
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind killer ..." - Dune
rsrider

Post by rsrider »

I want to be the guy in the red shirt in the second picture, he's got the best view.
Using the internet for evil since 1994.
TVB

Re: NBR (& only barely scooter related) Vespa in Tardis?

Post by TVB »

ScootLemont wrote:Does the doctor keep the vespa in the Tardis?
There are a few folks around here who could use one. TARDIS, that is. As a garage if nothing else.
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

Ok... at the risk of getting off topic
Yeah... Rose Tyler is very cute... but Amy Pond.... wow
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

"It's bigger on the inside."

As large as the Tardis is, if you keep a Vespa in it, it'll just sit and age. He can go get a brand new one (of any year, ever) whenever he wants/needs!
ScootLemont wrote:Ok... at the risk of getting off topic
Pond is my fave of the newer companions, not just because she's easy on the eyes but in terms of how she's written (personality and sass) and her place in the Whoverse. (Though I guess ALL the female companions now have to have some role in saving the universe or some such thing.) Rory's only occasionally useful, though. I think he and Rhys from Torchwood need to form a support group. Or an ELO tribute band.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
jmorton429

Post by jmorton429 »

Weren't they in the '50s in that episode? Ended up in London instead of where they were trying to go?

That was a fairly creepy episode. And the Vespa is very pretty. As is Tennant.
Jennifer
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

Eric - you are correct... she it cute but its the attitude of the character that makes here extra "interesting"

jmorton429- you are correct - Tennent is the prettiest Doctor (& one of my favorites) not that there is anything wrong with that.
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

jmorton429 wrote:Weren't they in the '50s in that episode? Ended up in London instead of where they were trying to go?
I am guessing that is from season 2 or 3.... which I haven't seen but am getting on DVD for fathers day - SPOILERS!
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Until the current season, they almost always ended up in London instead of where they were trying to go.

London and Cardiff are apparently the big global hotspots for intergalactic mischief and hiccups in the time stream.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
TVB

Post by TVB »

jmorton429 wrote:Weren't they in the '50s in that episode? Ended up in London instead of where they were trying to go?
Wanted to see the King perform in New York, ended up seeing the Queen get crowned in London.
And the Vespa is very pretty. As is Tennant.
Well, yes he's somewhat adorable, innit... especially when he uses his own accent.
siobhan

Post by siobhan »

Ok, I can't resist. Note the clenched fist. I'm so excited I can't believe I didn't drop the bike when I parked (and for some strange reason, it doesn't appear in any of the pics, hmmm).

and the boyfriend

I found this when riding up for some camping in central MA last fall. I screamed over the intercom, "Stop! TARDIS!" How often do you hear that in your helmet?!

I rode by the spot on the way back from camping this weekend and it's gone. Let's hope it's not in Wales again. I'm so bored with the earth-centric plot lines. And those weeping angels...they *freak* me out.

Pertwee is the best Doctor, btw. And while I loved Roger Delgado as the Master, Derek Jacobi was perfect for the new generation.
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

siobhan
that is soooo cool
I probably would have crashed if I was just out riding & came across that
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Imagine what that would have looked like in the Modern Buddy Calendar had Siobhan been scootin' rather than maxi-bikin'. :)
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

We need a Dr. Who / scooter photo scavenger hunt
Francois Donadet

Post by Francois Donadet »

That episode is set in the fifties and the Vespa is a sixties model. At the end of the episode the Doctor gives it to a kid but tells him he might want to keep it in the garage for a few years.
Witch

Post by Witch »

Francois Donadet wrote:That episode is set in the fifties and the Vespa is a sixties model. At the end of the episode the Doctor gives it to a kid but tells him he might want to keep it in the garage for a few years.
Bingo!

Yeah, Tennant is my fave Doctor. :) He is very easy on the eyes.

I do feel a bit sorry for Rory... he's just the new Tin Dog/The Idiot. Not even his fault, the poor guy.

On a related note, my fiance and I are actually planning to build a TARDIS. There's this ugly blue utility phone box (I kid you not) in the back corner of our yard. Even the phone company neglects it. I suggested we upgrade it and cover it up with a much more interesting blue phone box.
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

Up at my cabin in Wisconsin for the weekend... only a few tv channels so I downloaded the Chris Eccleston season to my ipad. Stayed up till 1:30 am watching the first 4.
Good episodes
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

Ok... I didnt think I was going to like the Chris Eccleston season (whats with the ears & nose?) but I really enjoyed it

& the weakest link / Big Brother episode was pretty funny

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/hOu7sKcIJCQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

ScootLemont wrote:Ok... at the risk of getting off topic
Haven't watched Doctor Who in YEARS (I did see one of the Chris Eccleston shows which was entertaining). But...yeah...Amy Pond is utterly fabulously delicious....
Robert Wayne Henderson (May 16, 1932 - July 28, 2009).
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

I hadn't watch Dr. Who since the 80's - the Tom Baker seasons were on PBS out of Chicago then.

So I am watching Top Gear this spring (BBC version on BBC America) & its one from around 2008 & the "star in the reasonably priced car" was David Tennant & they are talking about Dr. Who.....
then I find BBC America is running the 2009 & 2010 seasons & I was hooked (Might have been hooked with the first Amy Pond episode)

But after watching all of season 1 with Rose Tyler, I gotta say, she is very interesting after the first few, once they got her charter developed.

By the way... all the "modern" seasons are in iTunes if anyone is looking for them.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Don't know if I have a fave Doctor—haven't seen most of 'em—but I have to say, some of the episodes during the Tennant seasons were among the best-written TV of the decade. That's saying a lot—there's been some great writing in the past 10 years.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

[quote="Francois Donadet"]That episode is set in the fifties and the Vespa is a sixties model. At the end of the episode the Doctor gives it to a kid but tells him he might want to keep it in the garage for a few years.[/quot

Beat me to it! OK here is how much of a scifi and scooter geek I am. I picked up on it during the episode so I was uber impressed that the writers put that in...it was a moment of "YES!!!! somebody gets it!"
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
TVB

Post by TVB »

I just want to say that if anyone has managed to read this far and is wondering just what this Doctor Who stuff is about, they should access their favorite DVD-access system (e.g. Netflix, one of the remaining Blockbusters, those shady pirate sites if you lean toward the Dark Side), and rent the season ("series" in British English) starring Christopher Eccleston. It's an easy-peasy entry point into the series, requiring no knowledge of the previous Doctors to appreciate, and entertaining enough that it will entice you to continue with the David Tennant seasons, probably Torchwood, etc.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

I've seen the first three eps of "Torchwood: Miracle Day." Really good. The production values were totally kicked up and it pays off. My only complaint is a really explicit sex scene in it that's edited in a way that made me think someone was trying to make a statement; I just couldn't figure it out.

Also, one of my coworkers has a very prominent recurring role as a CIA agent in the series!
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

I just watched episode 1 of torchwood last night (amazon streaming video on my Google TV)
I liked it & will be checking out more.
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

ericalm wrote: My only complaint is a really explicit sex scene in it that's edited in a way that made me think someone was trying to make a statement; I just couldn't figure it out.
& how about the F-bombs?

I think the statement is 'put the kids to bed - this is NOT Dr. Who'
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

& this is funny.... David Tennant as a substitute teacher
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxB1gB6K-2A
From comic relief
quiklives

Post by quiklives »

Hi folks! New member, and this is my first post - I do hate to be conventional, and will get around to my bazillion questions some other time and place, but I had to chime in on Doctor Who.

I missed out on classic Doctor Who as my parents are boring folks and I didn't get the geek bug til I grew up....and somehow, despite reading tons of sci-fi and fantasy books over the last ten years, I still hadn't seen Doctor Who.

However, my very favorite writer of all time wrote a Doctor Who episode and it aired a few weeks ago. I recorded and watched it and am officially hooked now...it's exactly my sort of thing. I have lots of catching up to do, but really the scooter questions will have to be settled first as I can't concentrate on anything else at the moment. (Booked for the MSF course the end of this month, attempting to find the nearest dealer to me with a Buddy 150 International...looking like an hour away in North Palm Beach)
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

quiklives wrote:I have lots of catching up to do
hey... welcome to MB & & MB Who Talk

Got 6 minutes? This will get you caught up on Dr Who

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/szHO-wEmvio" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
TVB

Post by TVB »

quiklives wrote:However, my very favorite writer of all time wrote a Doctor Who episode and it aired a few weeks ago.
Another Neil Gaiman fan, eh? :)
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

quiklives whee are you located?
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
quiklives

Post by quiklives »

Got 6 minutes? This will get you caught up on Dr Who
Wow that video was great (if a little bit insane)! Between that and spending a couple of hours in the Doctor Who section of tvtropes (I'm not linking because it's addictive and I don't want to be responsible for anyone's lost sleep or productivity) I feel like I get the gist now.
Another Neil Gaiman fan, eh?
That might actually be a mild statement. But yes, I read Neverwhere when I was 15 and then went and found everything of his that I could.
quiklives whe[r]e are you located?
I'm in Vero Beach. It's a toss up between driving up to Orlando or down to NPB - the local place doesn't carry Genuine scooters.

There's a guy on here who has basically exactly what I want for $1900, but he's 3 hours away, and I was looking at financing at a dealer, whereas that'd have to be cash, so I'm trying to figure out if I can just get that smaller loan elsewhere.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

quiklives wrote:That might actually be a mild statement. But yes, I read Neverwhere when I was 15 and then went and found everything of his that I could.
I sprouted 2 grey hairs just reading this. :)
I started reading his comics work when he took over Miracleman (Marvelman) in the late '80s or early '90s. Maybe someday he'll get to finish it.
TVB

Post by TVB »

quiklives wrote:
Another Neil Gaiman fan, eh?
That might actually be a mild statement. But yes, I read Neverwhere when I was 15 and then went and found everything of his that I could.
I waited until I was in my thirties to read Neverwhere. Mostly because Neil hadn't gotten around to writing it any sooner than that. ;) I haven't read everything of his, but probably will get to most of it eventually.
TVB

Post by TVB »

ericalm wrote:I started reading his comics work when he took over Miracleman (Marvelman) in the late '80s or early '90s. Maybe someday he'll get to finish it.
There are actually rumblings and rumors that... well... let's just say that the herd of lawyers holding things up have been thinned to just a few, and that people in a position to make it happen are are actively talking about doing so.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

TVB wrote:
ericalm wrote:I started reading his comics work when he took over Miracleman (Marvelman) in the late '80s or early '90s. Maybe someday he'll get to finish it.
There are actually rumblings and rumors that... well... let's just say that the herd of lawyers holding things up have been thinned to just a few, and that people in a position to make it happen are are actively talking about doing so.
I'm not holding my breath (for yet another decade)!

Meanwhile, my Eclipse TPBs are supposedly worth money? One is falling apart from having been read so often!
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

TVB wrote:Another Neil Gaiman fan, eh? :)
<Emoticon in the back waving hand and saying, "Here!">
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

ericalm wrote: My only complaint is a really explicit sex scene in it that's edited in a way that made me think someone was trying to make a statement; I just couldn't figure it out.
I watched episode #2 of Torchwood last night
& yeah.... was not expecting the scene in the bathroom (I assume that is the one you are referencing - or does episode #3 have something even more interesting?)
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

ScootLemont wrote:
I watched episode #2 of Torchwood last night
& yeah.... was not expecting the scene in the bathroom (I assume that is the one you are referencing - or does episode #3 have something even more interesting?)
I'm talking about the new Torchwood series ("Miracle Day") that takes place in the US. It hasn't aired yet; it premieres July 8.

If you've just started the original run, I'll hold my tongue—way too many spoilers!
quiklives

Post by quiklives »

I didn't really grow up reading comics, and in fact resisted reading Sandman for a while because of that, but ultimately the myths and legends that arc across the Sandman storyline are what got my attention, and they are similar to some things in my very favorite book of his, American Gods (though it's much heavier reading than Sandman).

Other favorite authors: Robert Heinlein, Arthur C. Clarke, Stephen Baxter, Gregory Maguire, Robert Jordan, Anne McCaffrey, Mercedes Lackey (So you can maybe see why Doctor Who is an obvious progression for me)
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

ericalm wrote: If you've just started the original run, I'll hold my tongue—way too many spoilers!
Yeah... I just started the original run - BBC 2006 set it Cardiff
TVB

Post by TVB »

ericalm wrote:Meanwhile, my Eclipse TPBs are supposedly worth money? One is falling apart from having been read so often!
You have the TPB reprints? How nice those would look on the shelf next to my original issues. :P

(In all seriousness, I'm not a collection snob. I happened to buy the issues way back when, and I've held onto them only because that's the only way to re-read them. I'd replace them with cheap reprints in a heartbeat if I could, and I keep telling myself I really should unload them before Marvel puts them back into print and the scarcity-driven market value of the originals takes a hit.)
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

TVB wrote:
ericalm wrote:Meanwhile, my Eclipse TPBs are supposedly worth money? One is falling apart from having been read so often!
You have the TPB reprints? How nice those would look on the shelf next to my original issues. :P

(In all seriousness, I'm not a collection snob. I happened to buy the issues way back when, and I've held onto them only because that's the only way to re-read them. I'd replace them with cheap reprints in a heartbeat if I could, and I keep telling myself I really should unload them before Marvel puts them back into print and the scarcity-driven market value of the originals takes a hit.)
I have those too, but I only read the TPBs! I don't really "collect" for value. I buy to read. Sometimes I'm kind of shocked to learn something I own is worth the big bucks.

There was a time when Miracleman issues the early were pretty common in 25¢ bins.
Witch

Post by Witch »

ericalm wrote:I've seen the first three eps of "Torchwood: Miracle Day." Really good.
Alright now, where the hell did you get a TARDIS from, because as you said, it hasn't aired yet! I worked in the "industry" for three years and rarely got to see full, finished episodes of stuff ahead of time.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Witch wrote:
ericalm wrote:I've seen the first three eps of "Torchwood: Miracle Day." Really good.
Alright now, where the hell did you get a TARDIS from, because as you said, it hasn't aired yet! I worked in the "industry" for three years and rarely got to see full, finished episodes of stuff ahead of time.
Press screeners. My wife is a TV/entertainment news editor and I occasionally write about TV as a freelancer. One of the bonuses is getting to see things before they air. The downside is having to watch basically everything, even the crappiest of crappy sitcoms, at least once.
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

I watched series 1 (season 1) of the new series on my iPad and just got season 2 on DVD for fathers day.
I am about 5 episodes in
Really liking it
Spoilers!!!! K9!
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

how about some Dr. Who side panel stickers?

ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

A friend is visiting London and saw Tennant and Catherine Tate in Much Ado About Nothing. The costumes were all '80s style. At one point, he's dressed as "Like a Virgin" Madonna and she's dressed as a Blues Brother. Weird.