MPG Motorcycle Vs. Car

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Rush

MPG Motorcycle Vs. Car

Post by Rush »

Simple question.
Why do motorcycles with 1/6 the weight and 1/4 the engine size of a car only get 2x the MPG?

Two answers.
MPG under 50 mph largely depends on weight and engine efficiency. Hence a scooter can get 100-120 mpg.
MPG over 50 mph largely depends on drag. No easy answers for lowering drag on motorcycles, especially the tires. (Although the new Honda CBR500 boasts 71mpg).

Source:
Motorcycle Fuel Economy - Fuel For Thought
How To
From the May, 2009 issue of Motorcycle Cruiser
Illustrators: Motorcycle Deisgn and Technology

Read more: http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/tech/0 ... z2Xzf07sO0
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Why are we still discussing MPG when it's a poor measure of, well, anything other than how far you can go on a tank?

Cost per Mile is where it's at!
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

ericalm wrote:Why are we still discussing MPG when it's a poor measure of, well, anything other than how far you can go on a tank?

Fully agree. There are just too many variables to quantify. For me the main one is probably riding style. Trying to get better mpg is usually the last thing on my mind and I'm not going to change how I ride...ok...I prety much don't think about it at all. :mrgreen:
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
Rusty Shackleford

Post by Rusty Shackleford »

Fuel economy is an interesting topic for some none the less. What I've observed is the more the HP is coming from torque (longer stroke), the better the fuel economy. In other words, the more cylinders per displacement, the higher the HP and lower the fuel economy. Most scooters are single cylinder, where most motorcycles are not. In the case of the CBR250R, it's a 350lb single that does indeed get 70mpg, however, it only makes 22hp (just like the Vespa GTS). The Honda NC700X, while 670cc, makes 50hp and still manages 64mpg due to it's unusually long stroke and low redline. Supersport bikes, while only 600cc, are 4-cylinder machines that rev to insanely high redlines (16,000rpm) to make 100hp+ and turn about 40mpg. Scooters will almost always have the low speed fuel economy advantage because the amount of power needed to travel at those speeds is well within the capability of their relatively small single cylinder engines.
C'mon, sko sko sko!
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

Good point. The Boulevard S40 is a 650cc thumper and gets around 60 mpg.
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
gar1013

Post by gar1013 »

Don't forget that a lot of bikes don't even have fuel injection, and their engine design isn't attempting to maximize fuel efficiency.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

gar1013 wrote:Don't forget that a lot of bikes don't even have fuel injection, and their engine design isn't attempting to maximize fuel efficiency.
Our Stella 4Ts will get as good or better MPGs as some FI 150s. :)

FI will be standard worldwide for anything over 100cc or so in a few years, though.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Rusty Shackleford wrote:What I've observed is the more the HP is coming from torque (longer stroke), the better the fuel economy. In other words, the more cylinders per displacement, the higher the HP and lower the fuel economy. Most scooters are single cylinder, where most motorcycles are not. In the case of the CBR250R, it's a 350lb single that does indeed get 70mpg, however, it only makes 22hp (just like the Vespa GTS).
To add to your discussion, the Piaggio BV350 (actual 330cc water-cooled FI single) develops 33 hp and is capable of 70 mpg.
romeoyale

Post by romeoyale »

BuddyRaton wrote:
ericalm wrote:Why are we still discussing MPG when it's a poor measure of, well, anything other than how far you can go on a tank?

Fully agree. There are just too many variables to quantify. For me the main one is probably riding style. Trying to get better mpg is usually the last thing on my mind and I'm not going to change how I ride...ok...I prety much don't think about it at all. :mrgreen:
We share the same thought bro!
misterbrackets

Post by misterbrackets »

Fuel economy is extremely important. How else would I have convinced my wife to allow me to get a Stella? (Or any motorized 2-wheeler for that matter) :)

Right now my 20 mile round trip commute isn't so far that I'm saving that much on gas or polluting that much less on the scooter (our main car is a Honda Fit). I actually place more value on wear and tear.... it's cheaper overall to fix and maintain a scooter vs a car, in general. There are a lot of mechanical things on my scoot I can tackle myself. Not so much with my car. (I had a '65 Ford Falcon at one point, and I could do almost everything on that myself.... but that car is long gone..... and for the better, actually.)
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

misterbrackets wrote:I actually place more value on wear and tear.... it's cheaper overall to fix and maintain a scooter vs a car, in general.
This one isn't really that simple. Scooters go through tires and belts at a fairly high rate and it adds significantly to their actual cost per mile.
lovemysan

Post by lovemysan »

Dooglas wrote:
misterbrackets wrote:I actually place more value on wear and tear.... it's cheaper overall to fix and maintain a scooter vs a car, in general.
This one isn't really that simple. Scooters go through tires and belts at a fairly high rate and it adds significantly to their actual cost per mile.
Especially if you don't do your own service. I would say its easier to maintain a scooter than a car. My saturn SL the was around $.22 mile with fuel. Not including residual value. My scooter is a toy for me. Its currently about $.60-.70 per mile.
EvilNerdLord

Post by EvilNerdLord »

BuddyRaton wrote:

Tru'dat...I've been keeping track of the Stella and my jeep liberty on fully. With over 90% of everything I do all city driving... the liberty... $0.3768 per mile, the Stella... $0.0047 per mile
Even factoring in the mental component that I'm trying to rebuild my confidence for riding after all the crap I've endured... .it's a no brainier.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

EvilNerdLord wrote: the liberty... $0.3768 per mile, the Stella... $0.0047 per mile
This must be only gas and not actual cost per mile. And at $4.70/thousand miles for the Stella, you will have a hard time paying for tires (let alone gas - must be a decimal point error) :wink: .
EvilNerdLord

Post by EvilNerdLord »

Only gas as logged using fully, then there's the $460 for tires, the $65 for insurance each month compare to Stella's $20 for the same amounts.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

EvilNerdLord wrote:Only gas as logged using fully, then there's the $460 for tires, the $65 for insurance each month compare to Stella's $20 for the same amounts.
$0.0047 per mile is $4.70 per thousand miles, or about 1,000 miler per gallon. As I said, must be a decimal point error.
EvilNerdLord

Post by EvilNerdLord »

Oops... one zero to many. It rounds out to a nickle a mile for Stella. And actually six times for for the beast.