50cc Buddy - diff btwn years

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Th17kit

50cc Buddy - diff btwn years

Post by Th17kit »

I'm shopping for a used 50cc. Can someone tell me when any major changes took place to the Buddy 50cc?

I've searched and not found a good rundown yet.

Thank you!
TVB

Post by TVB »

There's not much information because there have been very few significant changes year-to-year. If it ain't broke... :)

To my knowledge the only noteworthy change is that the first model year of the "Buddy" (2006) had a smaller headlight and shorter stems on the mirrors. The frame and drive train are well-tested designs that were previously in use in Taiwan, so there's been no need to make changes, and the scooter industry isn't really into change-for-the-sake-of-freshness, so for the past seven years they've just kept cranking out the same bike, as needed to keep up with demand, with Genuine occasionally adjusting the colors (the early models had fewer black body panels), and offering special designs like the Internationals or the Lemonhead.
lovemysan

Post by lovemysan »

Agree very few changes. The only design change in a 50cc I know of at all is in 08 or 09 the roughhouse carb was enlarged from 16mm to 17.5mm
Th17kit

Post by Th17kit »

Thanks for the info!
agrogod

Post by agrogod »

'09 RH50 also has a non-adjustable idle jet on the stock carb.
"When your mouth is yapping your arms stop flapping, get to work" - a quote from my father R.I.P..
always start with the simple, it may end up costing you little to nothing
lovemysan

Post by lovemysan »

agrogod wrote:'09 RH50 also has a non-adjustable idle jet on the stock carb.
I'm pretty sure you can remove the plug covering it.
Th17kit

Post by Th17kit »

Bought an '06 w/ 3k for $1050. Runs great, has a couple issues that will make the total price more like $1250. Still a decent deal for Denver.
scullyfu

Post by scullyfu »

CONGRATS on that find!
WE'RE GOING THE WRONG WAY!!! Starbuck, BSG
NeoGenesisMax

I think

Post by NeoGenesisMax »

I think around 2007 or 2008 they started hiding the holes on the front of it. There were two circles on the front that you would cut out to mount the front rack. My 2013 doesn't have that though
NeoGenesisMax

tail lights

Post by NeoGenesisMax »

they slightly changed the tail light at one point. They are LEDs now but I've been told the older ones are not LED.
lovemysan

Re: tail lights

Post by lovemysan »

NeoGenesisMax wrote:they slightly changed the tail light at one point. They are LEDs now but I've been told the older ones are not LED.
That would be in 2007. 2006 was the last year of the incandescent tail light. The stock led tail is a good upgrade over stock. Especially with a Brahe light modulator