Rubber

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

gar1013

Rubber

Post by gar1013 »

Let's talk rubber folks (excluding tires).

Which rubber pieces did you need to/decide to/want to replace on day 1? What about over your current ownership of the scooter?

Have you found the replacement items to be of the same quality or higher?

What have you done to try to preserve the various rubber bits to extend their useful life?

Which items do you consider to be absolutely critical to replace?
Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

The boots are the only thing I've replaced so far from scooter works and so far they are better than the OEM ones. I also have started to park the bike in the back underneath my canopy and under a motorcycle cover. I'd like to replace some of the rubber covering the wires next visit to my dealer. hopefully Lee @ Beach City Mopeds and Scooters will have them...
I really do like my Stella though and I think they did a good dealer prep on it but it's just where I live. It's too dry for both me and the scoot...
Stitch

Post by Stitch »

My battery strap looks like an old sweater, but its been that way for 4500 miles. I'm kinda letting it go to see how long it lasts.
"Stella" is Latin for "use threadlocker on all fasteners"
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

My battery strap is long gone, replaced.

Center stand boots replaced with metal.

I've replaced the grips. Newer Stellas come with much better ones.

The piece that holds the neutral light wire in the back of the shifter is gone!

The rubber around the ignition is cracked.

Cowl rubbers and most others doing well. All was doing well when I was more diligent about keeping the scoot clean and using a UV protectant every coupe months, but I've slacked off!
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

have just replaced battery strap & boots so far (after I had it for a couple years)

All I have done to preserve the rest of the rubber (& I am just talking the "trim" stuff) is just some armor-all
quen047

Post by quen047 »

I had SFSC replace the stock brown grips (as seen in my avatar) with black Vespa PX grips at the 1st service as mine started to melt in the fog (?) VERY quickly. Also replaced the center stand boots after about 4 months. Otherwise so far so good.
Spiffy

Post by Spiffy »

quen047 wrote:I had SFSC replace the stock brown grips (as seen in my avatar) with black Vespa PX grips at the 1st service as mine started to melt in the fog (?) VERY quickly.
my brown grips have lost their color and are now almost clear... they are also super sticky when the sun hits them and they are making my gloves stick and leave black leather residue which makes them look super dirty...

need to find some other faux leather brown ones to replace them with...
quen047

Post by quen047 »

I should add that I use Turtle Wax trim restorer on the rubber every couple weeks when I clean it. Anal-retentive I know, but it seems to be working a charm.
stASH

Post by stASH »

Spiffy wrote:
quen047 wrote:I had SFSC replace the stock brown grips (as seen in my avatar) with black Vespa PX grips at the 1st service as mine started to melt in the fog (?) VERY quickly.
my brown grips have lost their color and are now almost clear... they are also super sticky when the sun hits them and they are making my gloves stick and leave black leather residue which makes them look super dirty...

need to find some other faux leather brown ones to replace them with...
My shop replaced mine with new black ones under warranty after the brown ones got clear and gummy.