What all is SUPPOSED to be included with an initial service?

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Spud

What all is SUPPOSED to be included with an initial service?

Post by Spud »

The Genuine dealers in my area basically seem to just consider an oil and filter change to be the initial service. One of them even told me today that the Stella 4 stroke has no oil filter, so only the oil change is necessary since no filter exists to change. :roll: I'm pretty sure that's bogus.

Can you please tell me everything that should be included in an initial service, and what a rough expected cost would be?

I really do not fully trust any of these dealers and need to be sure I'm not getting sleighted/misled.

Thank you.
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

Your dealer appears to be misinformed. The 4T Stella most certainly has an oil filter; it is located on the backside of the motor. The filter is found in a housing bolted into the clutch cover and is held on with three bolts.

Direct them to the service manual, information is on page 47 or the paper manual, or page 44 of the PDF.

Additional information of the 1st service can be found in this thread. The first service should include checking fasteners, checking cable tensions amd checking fluid levels at minimum.
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
Spiffy

Post by Spiffy »

I would email Genuine and report those dealers... they could cause many expensive warranty issues for Genuine in the future by not replacing the oil filter...
quen047

Post by quen047 »

I believe your initial service should also include a valve adjustment. I know SFSC did one on mine for the 1st service.
Robbie

Post by Robbie »

oil change/filter change, verify and adjust valve clearance, verify fasteners remain tight, check/adjust steering head bearings if needed, verify swingarm (engine mount) correctly torqued, adjust all cables to restore correct free play, air tires to spec, top off battery water if required....also verify air pressure in spare tire, check all lights, verify no wiring being chaffed or abnormally stressed.

I believe this is written in the owners and service manual.

Rob
Spud

Post by Spud »

Robbie wrote:oil change/filter change, verify and adjust valve clearance, verify fasteners remain tight, check/adjust steering head bearings if needed, verify swingarm (engine mount) correctly torqued, adjust all cables to restore correct free play, air tires to spec, top off battery water if required....also verify air pressure in spare tire, check all lights, verify no wiring being chaffed or abnormally stressed.

I believe this is written in the owners and service manual.

Rob
Daaanng.

No Genuine dealer in my area offers this package.

When I e-mailed Genuine about it, they didn't mention any of it beyond "oil change" and "tire pressure" and a couple other tiny things. Nothing about valve adjustment, battery water, swingarm torque...

The Genuine rep told me that of course the stella 4t DOES have an oil filter, but that it doesn't need to be replaced on the first oil change.

:? I wonder what I should do, about the valve adjustment and all that, if no genuine dealer around me includes that in the service.

Thanks everyone who's replied so far.

Edit: The shop at which my Stella currently is (getting some kinks ironed out) charges $70 for a more cursory service (oil change, tire pressure, maybe a couple other small things). Is it possible to get this done so I stay under warranty, and then check the valve clearance and swingarm torque myself? I do not have advanced mechanical knowledge, nor strong aptitude, but I think my other options are rather limited.
fisher1

Post by fisher1 »

Here's a video that shows how to change the oil filter as well as other info.
http://vimeo.com/20618680

The valve gap is
Inlet 0 .06 ± 0.01 mm
Exhaust 0 .1 ± 0.01 mm

Both the video link and gap info were from:
topic19383.html

You don't need a special tool, just cheap box wrenches and a feeler gauge will work fine.

I'd use the search function of this forum to find more info on oil change and valve adjustment, etc. This stuff isn't hard to do.