Possible new small motorbike...

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Possible new small motorbike...

Post by jrsjr »

At Laguna Seca, Yamaha are showing off an SR400 with a sign in front of it that says the following:

Possible Future Model...
SR400
-399cc Air Cooled Single
-87.0 x 67.2mm Bore/Stroke
-Electronic Fuel Injection
-3.2 Gallons fuel capacity
-384 lbs
-True 'Retro' Styling
-Kick Start

I transcribed this from a text from my man on the ground at Laguna. Thanks, Steve! Sorry about the lack of photos.
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

Like! Except for the $6,000 price.

http://rideapart.com/2013/01/yamaha-sr400/
Attachments
sr400.jpeg
sr400.jpeg (63.64 KiB) Viewed 2098 times
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

Very nice!

I think that the retro market is starting to grow a bit as I'm seeing more and more 70's-era Hondas and Yammys locally. Still small though, when compared to the other two ends of the spectrum, crotch rockets and Harleys, which seem to comprise the bulk of the two-wheeled scene around here.

That 6 grand is a bit steep though when you start adding on delivery, prep, and taxes. Here in NJ, that'd probably come out closer to 7 OTD.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Now I have a picture from Laguna. The bike they're showing has had the café racer treatment. Here it is...
Attachments
SR400
SR400
SR400 at Laguna.jpg (185.54 KiB) Viewed 2094 times
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

EFI -and- a kick starter! Did they happen to say whether the bike would kick over if the battery were dead, or whether it's just for the vibe?
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

This isn't much of a risk for Yamaha since it's already produced in Japan and all they have to do is (re)introduce it here. Of course, It's not really that simple, what with the testing and such that will have to be done, but still not too bad.

I used to want an SR500 real bad but didn't have the money at the time. They were pretty well known for being hard kickers but that should be less of a problem now.

My dad had a Suzuki 400 that was also kick-only and it had a manual compression release. It was a beast without it and no pushover (pun?) even with it when cold.

I would be even more interested if Suzuki would un-cruiserize their S40. A 400 is plenty big, really, but that's a pretty mild 650.

Still, yer average thumper is reliable as a stone and as simple to work on as a motorcycle is going to get. Tires might be fairly inexpensive as well.

I note that for the 6k price, a Royal Enfield is not out of reach either but would still lean toward the Japanese as more reliable. But the authenticity and style are unquestionable, with fairly cheap parts and accessories. That last is particularly important since things like windscreens and saddlebags are available for the RE.

I hope Yamaha goes forward with this. Thumbs up.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

PeteH wrote:EFI -and- a kick starter! Did they happen to say whether the bike would kick over if the battery were dead, or whether it's just for the vibe?
That's a really good question. :shock: I'm sorry I don't have an answer.

As for whether Yamaha is really serious about bring the SR here, I never seem to be able to find anything in the CARB database that ericalm has referenced in the past. However, that strikes me as the best place to start a search to see if Yamaha is serious about bringing their EFI retro thumper to our shores...
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

Southerner wrote:....

I would be even more interested if Suzuki would un-cruiserize their S40. A 400 is plenty big, really, but that's a pretty mild 650.
That's my dream, too. I love the S40 but prefer a standard compared to a cruiser. I've lurked on a really good Savage/S40 forum and, outside of the cam chain adjuster, the bike is really stable. There's a guy on that forum who has designed his own aftermarket fix for the cam chain adjuster and sells them. The S40 bobbers are pretty cool, too.
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
gar1013

Post by gar1013 »

Southerner wrote: I would be even more interested if Suzuki would un-cruiserize their S40.
Don't wait for Suzuki to do it... some guys have already gotten the hard part done for you.

http://www.rycamotors.com/bikes/

Pick what style bike you want, supply an S40, and do your own wrenching... or pay extra for someone else to do it.... or buy a completed one from them directly.
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

Yes, I've been keeping up with Ryca and have been amazed with their success. I really didn't think they'd last.

I was interested in the scrambler but now they have a standard as well.

I could do with a bigger fuel tank than the reman'd unit they use. Biggest hump is that unless you already got a good used S40 for cheap, the cost of the bike plus kit is probably a good bit higher than the original manufacturer would charge. Still.......
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

The S40 just took a small price jump to $5,699 but it is still a heck of a bargain. I love mine. The cruiser style is not for everyone I'm sure, but it is also not hard to like. Never underestimate the thumpers. This new Yamaha really sounds interesting! (it is great that we are seeing all this action in the 400-700cc range lately)
viney266

Post by viney266 »

I have 2 SR500's and I love them, fun bikes that can be made fast if you want :)
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

Dooglas wrote:The S40 just took a small price jump to $5,699 but it is still a heck of a bargain. I love mine. The cruiser style is not for everyone I'm sure, but it is also not hard to like. Never underestimate the thumpers. This new Yamaha really sounds interesting! (it is great that we are seeing all this action in the 400-700cc range lately)
Suzuki is the smallest of the Big Four and so can't be expected to do what Honda can but since smaller, less expensive bikes is where the market is going, the Savage is due for a change and it doesn't have to be an expensive one.

I don't dislike its current look but, having sat on one, I can say that even sitting still for just a few minutes, I was uncomfortable, and I'm 5'9" with a 30" inseam and can usually get comfortable on anything.
wheelbender6

Post by wheelbender6 »

The Suzy S40 offers a lot of fun for the money, but I wish they would make a larger fuel tank available. I like many of the Ryca kits but they do not offer a larger tank either. Is a 4 gallon tank too much to ask for on a 650cc bike?
2013 Buddy 125, Prima Pipe, #95 main jet, Orange CDI
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

It must be. The only thumpers I know of with tanks that large are adventure bikes. There's an aftermarket tank that big for the dualsport version but it's pretty ugly.

I doubt the SR 400 tank is much over 3, if that.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

The carbureted version of the SR400 that Yamaha sold in Australia (and elsewhere) had a 3.17 gallon tank. Don't know what the capacity of the FI version's tank is, but it looks exactly like the old one, so I bet it's about the same.
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

I'm gonna guess it's slightly less since they usually put the fuel pump inside the tank. Which offsets the advantage of improved fuel mileage.
Rusty J

Post by Rusty J »

It's not the '86 SRX, but still pretty nifty.

However, it's still a simplified and scaled-down Universal Japanese Motorcycle, and that appeals to me. I'd seriously consider one.

But the SRX was one of the bikes I really, really wanted when I finally got my drivers' license. That, or the Honda Helix (if I was thinking in practical terms).

Ended up with a 12-year-old Vespa, which worked out pretty well as a daily driver for a few years.
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

Yet another unappreciated, but good bike. A retro thumper will have appeal here but a modern one only attracted people who appreciated more than the look.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Maybe they'll sell this one in California! Nice!
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
CapnK

Post by CapnK »

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - M. Twain
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

The first is, by all appearances, a good, honest, bike. Can't expect an old bike to look like brand new and this one's appearance is pretty good. If actual inspection bears it out, this is a good buy.

The second must have been in a time capsule. The price reflects that but again, if as advertised, not bad. If depends on the buyer to decide what it's worth. Anyone who gets it better have a strong right leg and learn "the touch".
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Southerner wrote:Anyone who gets it better have a strong right leg and learn "the touch".
In modern parlence, "ISO TDC," am I right? :D
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

Yep. 8)

It's actually kinda fun to crank your bike, turn it off, then let a curious friend give it a try. Because it's not so much about brute strength as finesse.
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

My last kicker was a 4-cyl, so at least one cylinder was always close to TDC :D
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

Yeah, but the other three...... :shock:
Keys

Post by Keys »

I bought the first SR500 sold in Denver in 1978 and then later owned the Suzuki GN400 as well as a BSA441 Victor. Also many smaller singles. Love thumpers!
"Life without music would Bb"
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

The bottom of this Motorcycle Daily article mentions the SR400 and has a nice photo. If nothing else, it does appear that the motorcycle manufacturers are thinking about bringing some retro bikes to the USA. The problem is, they've been down this road before and gotten burned. My opinion is that we're about to get a couple retro bikes. Then we'll see what happens...
JAEGER

Post by JAEGER »

We had a 'Zuk Savage (a.k.a. S40) for a while and it was a hoot. Wouldn't want to take it on the highways around here (did once or twice, was terrifying) but it was a helluva lot of fun -- especially once I ripped the airbox out, rejetted, and put a drilled-out Sportster exhaust on it. :)

If they bring the SR400 back I'd be all over that. My biggest problem with the Savage was the ground clearance. The engine was fun but the pegs touched down too quickly. Something small, light, and torquey like the SR400 (which can be tricked out and modded, as evidenced by the numerous examples you can find online) would be awesome... if they brought the #$%#$@ thing to America. :P

--Jaeger
"Exterminate all rational thought. That is the conclusion I have come to." -- Bill Lee, Naked Lunch
<<NEUTIQUAM ERRO>>
2003 Triumph Speedmaster 904 // 2013 Genuine Buddy 125
www.blackletter.org