Blur vs Buddy Performance?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

walke2jd
In Time Out

Blur vs Buddy Performance?

Post by walke2jd »

Can anyone who has ridden both a 125cc Buddy and the new 220cc Blur weigh in on the performance differences? I am thinking of grabbing a Blur to replace my Buddy, but I want to make sure the difference will be worth it.

I am mainly looking for faster acceleration, better braking, and possibly some very occassional highway use.

Any comparisons would be appreciated!

Thanks!
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

I have only ridden a Blur 220 briefly but will give my $0.02 worth.

The braking, handling (suspension) and overall comfort are better than the Buddy. Some find the floorboard a little cramped, though.
You sit much higher on the Blur which is nice for seeing over other vehicles. Sort of like the difference between driving my mid-size truck vs. a small car.

I'm not sure the acceleration is any better than the Buddy. It may actually be a little slower off the line but the Blur I rode was stock with very low miles.
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
viney266

Post by viney266 »

I have ridden both. I'm 6'3" and top speed on a stock blur 220 with me is 76 MPH. It handles better and brakes better than the buddy. The downsides? some folks don't like the "hump" in the middle; as a motorcycle rider as well. I don't mind it. I like the way it handles and runs.

Top speed on a buddy is 66 BMPH by the way. I like the buddy better around town, but the blur is almost a small sport bike in nature...GREAT brakes for a scoot.
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
skipper20

Re: Blur vs Buddy Performance?

Post by skipper20 »

walke2jd wrote:Can anyone who has ridden both a 125cc Buddy and the new 220cc Blur weigh in on the performance differences? I am thinking of grabbing a Blur to replace my Buddy, but I want to make sure the difference will be worth it.

I am mainly looking for faster acceleration, better braking, and possibly some very occassional highway use.

Any comparisons would be appreciated!

Thanks!
You summed it all up when you specified "faster acceleration, better braking and.......occasional highway use". That's definitely the Blur 220i over the Buddy 125. If you can handle the Blur's additional weight of 318 lbs. vs. the Buddy's 239 lbs., get the Blur. It's well worth the cost difference.

Bill in Seattle
'12 170i Italia
'11 220i Blur
scullyfu

Post by scullyfu »

don't know where you're located, but you may want to take a look at the 'for sale' forum; there's at least one blur up for sale there and you'll save yourself a lot of pennies. just won't have the warranty or road side service via genuine.
WE'RE GOING THE WRONG WAY!!! Starbuck, BSG
walke2jd
In Time Out

Post by walke2jd »

Thanks for all the feedback! Since I don't need to go over 55 or 60 mph, I might grab the blur and then swap the rollers out to get great acceleration at the cost of top speed. Also, the better brakes would be great to have. The brakes are my biggest complaint with the buddy.

Decisions, decisions....
DCUNITED4LIFE

Post by DCUNITED4LIFE »

I haven't ridden a Buddy (well actually a 50cc once) but I do own a Blur (which is for sale btw, :wink: ). Yea the brakes are pretty effective and the handling is great. I agree with a previous poster about the weight but it's not too bad.

FYI, I just won a raffle Stella last weekend and I'm dropping the price on my Blur to $1,600. It's got lightened sliders (although I think the stock weights were better overall) and the belt just got replaced. New rear tire with under 300 miles on it. If you're interested PM me. Don't know where you're located but at $1600 you can have it shipped to you for less than most are available on the secondary market. Peace. 8)
walke2jd
In Time Out

Post by walke2jd »

DCUNITED4LIFE wrote:I haven't ridden a Buddy (well actually a 50cc once) but I do own a Blur (which is for sale btw, :wink: ). Yea the brakes are pretty effective and the handling is great. I agree with a previous poster about the weight but it's not too bad.

FYI, I just won a raffle Stella last weekend and I'm dropping the price on my Blur to $1,600. It's got lightened sliders (although I think the stock weights were better overall) and the belt just got replaced. New rear tire with under 300 miles on it. If you're interested PM me. Don't know where you're located but at $1600 you can have it shipped to you for less than most are available on the secondary market. Peace. 8)
Can you fit a full-face helmet under the seat?

And I have had my eye on your Blur for a while. Just trying to figure out finances and whether it is worth switching from the Buddy.
DCUNITED4LIFE

Post by DCUNITED4LIFE »

I got a huge dome and wear an XXL Suomy. It fits. 8)
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Of course, there are many scooters that have more power and stability than the Buddy if you want to step up. How did you decide on the Blur? Given the low popularity and difficult resale of the Blur, there are good reasons to consider some other choices before you jump. Kymco, Sym, Honda, and Piaggio/Vespa all have possible models. Have you looked into the new Honda Forza? Have you considered a used GT200 Vespa? Lot's of options depending on your preferences and how you intend to use the bike.
walke2jd
In Time Out

Post by walke2jd »

Dooglas wrote:Of course, there are many scooters that have more power and stability than the Buddy if you want to step up. How did you decide on the Blur? Given the low popularity and difficult resale of the Blur, there are good reasons to consider some other choices before you jump. Kymco, Sym, Honda, and Piaggio/Vespa all have possible models. Have you looked into the new Honda Forza? Have you considered a used GT200 Vespa? Lot's of options depending on your preferences and how you intend to use the bike.
I have been looking at a lot of different models. Other than the Blur, I have had my eye on a Vespa GTS 300 and a Piaggio BV250. I used to own a BV500 which was a little too big and heavy, so I was thinking the Blur would keep the fun spirited nature of a small scooter but with a little extra oopmh so I could hop on to the highway for an exit or two.

The other consideration is price. The 2011 GTS 300 is $4300, the 2011 BV250 is $3600, and DCUnited has his Blur on for $1600. I would obviously love to grab the GTS 300, but I am not sure its worth an extra ~$3k even if the resale will be way better.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

walke2jd wrote:The other consideration is price. The 2011 GTS 300 is $4300, the 2011 BV250 is $3600, and DCUnited has his Blur on for $1600. I would obviously love to grab the GTS 300, but I am not sure its worth an extra ~$3k even if the resale will be way better.
That is why I mentioned the Vespa GT200. It is a true classic scooter in configuration. It is a good performer. And bikes in excellent condition can be had in the $2,500-$3,000 range. The Blur? Well, if you are looking for a different experience at the lowest cost - perhaps that will do it for you. (as you see, I went with the BV 350 when I wanted more power, more speed, and better handling in a bike capable of serious touring)
skipper20

Post by skipper20 »

Dooglas wrote:Of course, there are many scooters that have more power and stability than the Buddy if you want to step up. How did you decide on the Blur? Given the low popularity and difficult resale of the Blur, there are good reasons to consider some other choices before you jump. Kymco, Sym, Honda, and Piaggio/Vespa all have possible models. Have you looked into the new Honda Forza? Have you considered a used GT200 Vespa? Lot's of options depending on your preferences and how you intend to use the bike.
I looked at Kymco, Sym (used to own one), Honda (still own one) and Piaggio/Vespa and finally decided on a Blur 220i because for me it was the best fit. Plus it looks good and you can't beat its EFI. The new Honda Forza? Should it ever happen on these shores, you're probably looking at close to $8,000 out-the-door.

Bill in Seattle
'12 170i Buddy Italia
'11 220i Genuine Blur
'02 Honda Reflex 250
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

skipper20 wrote:The new Honda Forza? Should it ever happen on these shores, you're probably looking at close to $8,000 out-the-door.
Well, actually you are looking at the 2014 model year in the US and an msrp of $5,599.

http://powersports.honda.com/2014/forza.aspx
skipper20

Post by skipper20 »

Dooglas wrote:
skipper20 wrote:The new Honda Forza? Should it ever happen on these shores, you're probably looking at close to $8,000 out-the-door.
Well, actually you are looking at the 2014 model year in the US and an msrp of $5,599.

http://powersports.honda.com/2014/forza.aspx
OK, I stand corrected but with all the dealer add-ons, license and tax (if applicable), the new Honda Forza OTD price will probably be closer to $7,000. Are they actually in US dealer showrooms at this time? Thanks,

Bill in Seattle