Alarm

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

climbguy

Alarm

Post by climbguy »

I am thinking about getting an alarm for my scooter.

I park next to my house so someone walking by might see it.

If the alarm goes off and I am home I will hear it.

Has anyone used something like this?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0042V ... uyssupe-20
TVB

Re: Alarm

Post by TVB »

I just want to ask on behalf of your neighbors: Are you sure you'll hear and respond to any alarms? Vehicle alarms seem to be the boy who cried wolf around here, serving no purpose but to annoy anyone in the area when the wind blows or someone walks past.
climbguy

Post by climbguy »

i think the issue here is someone could quickly put my scooter in the back of a truck or something. If I am home, I might be able to stop it.

This is also MUCH louder vs a car alarm.
BeefSupreme

Post by BeefSupreme »

I've thought about the Gorilla alarm before, but since I'm lazy 95% of the time I went with the Xena disk lock alarm. I've been very happy with it. Although I do like the gorillas key fob notification if your alarm goes off and your out of hearing range.

With a Gorilla a dedicated thief (if given enough time) would know to immediately disconnect the battery. Not so easy with the Xena, you'd have to break it open to get it to stop and I doubt common scooter thieves would have the tools on hand to do that.
jonlink

Post by jonlink »

Also bear in mind that unless you ride regularly and have a mild climate you'll be slowly killing your battery. No juice and the scooter is unprotected.

If you search on here you'll find someone who installed one. Read that post, maybe PM the guy and then you'll get a better idea if this workable for you.
NikVee

Post by NikVee »

For what it's worth, I picked up this alarm for under 20 bucks via Deal Extreme: http://dx.com/p/professional-waterproof ... ack-108984

I didn't know what to expect but am actually pretty impressed. I don't have anything wired into the scooter yet, but threw on the included nine volt under the seat (which muffled it slightly) but is still plenty audible. I'd think it'd be enough to draw attention, and certainly make someone think twice about messing with the scoot.

It definitely offers some piece of mind. I guess I'll wire it into the scooter so I can have the whole flashing lights deal too. Shipping took a couple weeks.
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

The Gorilla is nice, but it is nowhere near as loud as most car alarms. Mine is mounted under the front cowl.
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
NikVee

Post by NikVee »

Just wanted to make sure you guys got a chance to see my super sweet (and super temporary) alarm "install."

http://imgur.com/wkSOtcS
BeefSupreme

Post by BeefSupreme »

NikVee wrote:Just wanted to make sure you guys got a chance to see my super sweet (and super temporary) alarm "install."

http://imgur.com/wkSOtcS
Now that's simple! It would be super easy to install that under the front cover too, it would be louder and you can easily plug it into an existing power source. Adding a hidden toggle would be necessary though.
climbguy

Post by climbguy »

does anyone know if the guerilla alarms can be disabled by disconnecting the battery? If so is this a major flaw in them?
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Yes, the Gorilla is power-dependent. Michelle, I believe, switched her battery-cover bolts to tamper-resistant, which would slow down both a battery thief and a would-be alarm-disabler.
climbguy

Post by climbguy »

PeteH wrote:Yes, the Gorilla is power-dependent. Michelle, I believe, switched her battery-cover bolts to tamper-resistant, which would slow down both a battery thief and a would-be alarm-disabler.
what do the tamper resistant bolts do?
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

They replace the two screws that hold the battery cover on. They use an oddball hole pattern that requires a specialized socket or driver to remove, thus making it harder to remove the battery cover and either (a) steal the battery or (b) clip the alarm's power wire, assuming you ran the power wire directly to the battery as Gorilla shows in their install doc.
jonlink

Post by jonlink »

PeteH wrote:They replace the two screws that hold the battery cover on. They use an oddball hole pattern that requires a specialized socket or driver to remove, thus making it harder to remove the battery cover and either (a) steal the battery or (b) clip the alarm's power wire, assuming you ran the power wire directly to the battery as Gorilla shows in their install doc.
I have tamper resistant screws. Got them after my battery was stolen. No problems since, though I'm suspicious that the screws are the reason (correlation vs. causation). The only annoying thing about that is that you can't just order two, so I had like 20+ or something like that... I have no idea where they went though.
climbguy

Post by climbguy »

PeteH wrote:They replace the two screws that hold the battery cover on. They use an oddball hole pattern that requires a specialized socket or driver to remove, thus making it harder to remove the battery cover and either (a) steal the battery or (b) clip the alarm's power wire, assuming you ran the power wire directly to the battery as Gorilla shows in their install doc.
so I take it if you have a dead battery, you'll need to have the special screw driver to get it replaced or jumped?
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Yeah, keep it in the pet carrier. NBD.

Or you could hook a Battery Tender pigtail to the battery, thread it down under the scoot, lock up the battery compartment with the special screws, and hook up a charger once in a while.
michelle_7728

Post by michelle_7728 »

climbguy wrote:
so I take it if you have a dead battery, you'll need to have the special screw driver to get it replaced or jumped?
See picture 39/40 in this thread (picture 39/40 is about 1/2 way through the thread). It's just a little bit you can put in a nut driver. I just keep an extra of the security bit in my pet carrier.

A thief with needle nose vise grips could still get the bolts off, but it's unlikely they would be carrying them.
Past bikes: 08' Genuine Buddy 125, '07 Yamaha Majesty 400, '07 Piaggio MP3 250, '08 Piaggio MP3 500, '08 Aprilia Scarabeo 500
Current bikes: Two '09 Genuine Buddy 125's