Stripped screw help

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

SuperCyclone.81

Stripped screw help

Post by SuperCyclone.81 »

So I'm attempting to install some new handlebars on my ruckus when I stripped out the screws on the right hand control/throttle assembly. I went to home depot this morning to get a screw extractor set and still can't seem to get it out. It's just super frustrating that I've got everything I need to get the new handlebars on, I just can't get these two screws out! Any tips/help?

charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

I assume that you're referring to the two Phillips-head screw in the pictures.

Three ways of going about this:

- Using a Dremel tool or a small file, try to deepen one of the slots on each screw such that you can use a flat-head screwdriver.

- Drill out the screw heads so that you can open up the assembly. This should leave enough of the remaining screw protruding from the bottom half of the assembly to grab with a pair of pliers.

- If you have access to a manual impact driver with a Phillips bit, you could use that to loosen the screws since the hammer blows on the driver will make the bit bite deeper into the remaining screw head as it also applies the torque to loosen it. Since this is on a handlebar, however, you would want to brace it by placing a suitable-length 1x2 or 2x4 between the bottom of the throttle assembly and the floor. That way all of the force would be transferred to the screw, and none would be lost due to the flexing of the handlebar.
MrChet

Post by MrChet »

Are you turning the extractor enough to give it bite into the screw head? In my experience I have to put a fair amount of weight downwards and "tightening" the extractor into the screw head before I can back it out.

Failing that I'd go with deepening the head and using a flat head bit with a big diametered screw driver to give yourself the most torque. I don't know off hand how big those screws are but, in a pinch, you can also use a thin hacksaw blade to deepen the slot carefully if you don't have a dremel.
Last edited by MrChet on Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BeefSupreme

Post by BeefSupreme »

Curious, did you follow the instructions of the extractor and drill out the current philips head slots first? You have to have something for the extractors to grip onto first.
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

It almost looks like there's enough of the philips slots to try a manual impact screwdriver; the kind that compresses a spring when you hit it with a hammer and also turns the screw. Not necessarily the one from HF but this style, anyway.
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
SuperCyclone.81

Post by SuperCyclone.81 »

Cool, thanks guys. I work at a scoot shop here in Arkansas. I just brought it in with me to work and the mechanic was able to pull them out with a little stern talking haha
lovemysan

Post by lovemysan »

fatcharlie

Post by fatcharlie »

Quite often you can get stripped phillips head screws out without an impact driver... but the idea and technique is the same.

1. MAKE SURE you are using the correct size screwdriver! Its difficult to tell in the picture, but those look like a #2 Phillips... I see people using the wrong screwdriver all the time... you wouldn't use a 11mm wrench on a 10mm bolt would you?

2. Put the screwdriver down on the head of the screw like you usually would, and give the back of the screwdriver some LIGHT TO MODERATE taps with a hammer... while doing this, you can start twisting the screwdriver VERY LIGHTLY... keep tapping while applying a slight twisting motion.

You are doing the same basic thing as an impact driver... but you don't have to drive to the store to buy one... While doing this, you are both (a) breaking up a little bit of rust or corrosion in the threads, and (b) driving the screwdriver deeper into the head of the screw.

The right tool for the job is always better... but sometimes old mechanics tricks are much quicker... especially when it comes to buying an impact driver that you'll probably use once every few years.
Loren

Post by Loren »

Another great trick is to spit on and then rub your screwdriver into the dirt for a few seconds. The extra grit will sometimes be just enough to get a couple turns on the screw.