How Long Will the Buddy Last?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

BoneGirl

How Long Will the Buddy Last?

Post by BoneGirl »

Well, it looks like The Pinkster is on its last leg. Just made it to 42,424.2 miles, took a picture and within 20 miles it was just running poorly. Lagerhead has worked on it the last 2 days so we can ride to Indianapolis for the MotoGP race tomorrow but no go. My first Buddy 125 was pretty good til around 40K and now the Blackjack 150 is on its last dying breath. Shelled out a lot of money this year on new forks, shocks, brakes, transmission and all points in between. But now it seems to be the engine is just worn out and tired. So rather than spend another bucket of money, I guess it's time to start shopping for a new scoot.

Super bummed out because I won't get to ride it to Indy tomorrow. Luckily, my husband has a couple other scooters and I can take one of his. But it sure isn't the same. :cry:

I am so seriously bummed out.
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

Wow sorry Angie. But the upside is you have put some serious Buddy miles on--well over 80,000 between the 2! I'm sure that's a record. Enjoy the race even though you are not on your girl :)
Last edited by peabody99 on Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
BoneGirl

Thanks

Post by BoneGirl »

Thanks, Peabody! I do ride the snot out of these bikes and have to say, I love them to death :P. And I won 2nd Place in the Drag race last weekend so the Pinkster goes out with a bang!
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Two words: Viking Funeral.

But seriously, pull the plastics off first, THEN start the funeral. :D :D

Better yet, pull some interesting parts and sell 'em off here. More than a few folks might like a chunk of Pinkster on their scoot for gook luck and longevity.
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
Throwback7R

Post by Throwback7R »

Wow 40k that is great!

if you want to sell it message me.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

I'd say two possibilities. The first is to buy a motor from a totaled Buddy and swap it out. The second is to strip off everything of value from your existing Buddy and then buy a new one. Put all those suspension upgrades and the like to use. Save the panels and other parts for when you might need them.
BoneGirl

Ideas

Post by BoneGirl »

We have been swapping parts here and there from Ben's first Buddy and used the newer parts I took off my first Buddy long ago. Finally ran out of parts from Ben's bike, poor guy. I just got done talking about needing some new panel pieces just because wear and tear has caused several of the joining tabs to break off.

If I sell anything, I will let you know, Throwback! And I never thought about getting an engine from a wrecked Buddy. Thanks, Dooglas. :D
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

so BG you goin' Genuine for a new scoot or some other scoot brand caught your eye?

you ride like crazy i can see a bit more motor under you. maybe new more powerful scoot and a little used Buddy on the side? :)
Riding is riding
bgwss

Post by bgwss »

Bummer! Here's to finding a good engine or newer Buddy! :D
BoneGirl

Decisions, decisions

Post by BoneGirl »

JHScoot wrote:so BG you goin' Genuine for a new scoot or some other scoot brand caught your eye?

you ride like crazy i can see a bit more motor under you. maybe new more powerful scoot and a little used Buddy on the side? :)
I don't know what I want to do so I guess I need to think on it awhile. I can get a brand new engine and maybe keep racing the Pinkster and get another scoot for everyday use. I never knew how attached you can get to your bike. I had the worst time giving up my 1st Buddy and now this is even harder. I know you all remember what a rough time I had in the Fall with wheel wobble and vibrations so putting more money into this bike just doesn't seem reasonable to me.

So not sure. I have thought about moving up to a 250 but I wasn't comfortable at all on the Blur or any of the Vespas. More power is nice but the size and feel of the bike is even more important and the Buddy is just so agile and quick. For me, it fits like a glove.

So I will take Ben's Bid Ruckus to Indy today and it will give me plenty of time to think on it. As always, thanks for the input to all my Buddy Buddies! :D
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

I know its not as cute as a Buddy, but if you are considering a 250, you can probably pick up a used Helix for a song in your area :).
TVB

Post by TVB »

So it's starting to look like we're getting a picture of the life expectancy of a Buddy (in terms of mileage). I guess I should put money in the budget to replace Flash in 2017 then?
peabody99 wrote:I know its not as cute as a Buddy, but if you are considering a 250, you can probably pick up a used Helix for a song in your area :).
That's in the running for Understatement Of The Year. :) All due respect to the Helix, but its virtues do not include "cuteness".
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

Is it loss of compression? Crank bearings?
I guess a piston and rings (maybe new jug) wouldn't be too bad of a repair.

Dang, I'm at 36K on my scooter now but it sure seems strong. Maybe I should find another 150 around and try and get a ride on it for comparison.
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
skully93

Post by skully93 »

damn, I was hoping to ride mine for the next 20 years, but I'll easily be at 10k by the Fall.

I guess I just have to factor in a major rebuild in a few years.
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

skully93 wrote:damn, I was hoping to ride mine for the next 20 years, but I'll easily be at 10k by the Fall.

I guess I just have to factor in a major rebuild in a few years.
Start collecting more scooters, that will help keep the mileage down! :lol:
Syd

Post by Syd »

Sorry to hear the demise of the PinkJack, BoneGirl.

If Phil was still in charge, he might give you another one just to be his endurance tester!
The majority is always sane - Nessus
LunaP

Post by LunaP »

It is always sad when a bike starts to limp... but especially when there are 40k+ miles of history there! Hope you maybe find another to lift your spirits with.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

I think it did great! Lets be honest...you're not exactly easy on scooters!

Anyone that has pulled the top end off can see how small the piston in these things really is. To do what they do for as long as they do amazes me.

I wouls also be looking for a wrecked Buddy with a good motor and just do a transplant...after all...you are the one and only Buddy Girl!
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
skully93

Post by skully93 »

Tocsik wrote: Dang, I'm at 36K on my scooter now but it sure seems strong. Maybe I should find another 150 around and try and get a ride on it for comparison.
Well, we shall just have to meet up and trade for a short ride, since we're rocking similar builds.
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

skully93 wrote:
Tocsik wrote: Dang, I'm at 36K on my scooter now but it sure seems strong. Maybe I should find another 150 around and try and get a ride on it for comparison.
Well, we shall just have to meet up and trade for a short ride, since we're rocking similar builds.
That would be interesting. I'm game!
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
Whimscootie

Post by Whimscootie »

Seth's got a HOT PINK Buddy 125 up there in the shop. Was in today...

Yours?

8)
Scootin' for a slower pace of life...
www.49ccscooterlife.blogspot.com
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Do you know what's (specifically) wrong with it or have you decided it's not worth cracking the engine open at this point? Just curious about what happens and when.

Not only have your racked up a huge amount of mileage on Buddys, you've done it in record time! I've only heard of one rider/Buddy that's come close, a guy in San Diego area who had over 60K last I heard, which was a while ago.

Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
TVB

Post by TVB »

I'm understandably curious if anyone has any data (I'll settle for anecdotes) about the longevity of the 50cc engine. I'm about to hit 22K (a leisurely 4.5 years) on mine.
irishtim

Re: Decisions, decisions

Post by irishtim »

BoneGirl wrote: ... I have thought about moving up to a 250 but I wasn't comfortable at all on the Blur or any of the Vespas. More power is nice but the size and feel of the bike is even more important and the Buddy is just so agile and quick. For me, it fits like a glove. ...

:D
I'd look at the 2014 Piaggio Fly (totally new). It's got the same seat height as the Buddy, goes nearly 70 MPH and provides 115 MPG for $2800. I love my Buddy but I think this Piaggio will be stiff competition.
OH,PA,IN,WV,KY,TN,WI,MI,SC,ON,BDA
peabody99

Re: Decisions, decisions

Post by peabody99 »

irishtim wrote:
BoneGirl wrote: ... I have thought about moving up to a 250 but I wasn't comfortable at all on the Blur or any of the Vespas. More power is nice but the size and feel of the bike is even more important and the Buddy is just so agile and quick. For me, it fits like a glove. ...

:D
I'd look at the 2014 Piaggio Fly (totally new). It's got the same seat height as the Buddy, goes nearly 70 MPH and provides 115 MPG for $2800. I love my Buddy but I think this Piaggio will be stiff competition.
I know someone who is selling one, and would probably be happy to personally deliver it (Riding it of course) :wink: